Connect with us

News

SAD! Absucted victims, 2 babies born in terrorists’ camp d*e

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa

No fewer than seven victims abducted during the April attack on worshippers in Ariko community, Kachia Local Government Area of Kaduna State, have reportedly died in captivity, as fresh accounts from a recently freed captive paint a grim picture of worsening humanitarian conditions inside a terrorists’ camp where dozens of residents have now spent more than three months.

The latest revelation was made by former media aide to the late Kaduna State Governor, Sir Patrick Ibrahim Yakowa, Mr. Reuben Buhari, in a post on his Facebook page, citing information obtained from one of the victims who recently regained freedom. Blueprint reports

According to Buhari, the freed captive disclosed that seven of the 37 persons kidnapped from Ariko village have died since they were taken away during the Easter Sunday attack.

Advertisement

The deceased were said to include two men, two women and three children.

*Bodies allegedly dumped on hillside*

According to the survivor’s account, the deceased victims were not given proper burials.

Instead, the bodies were allegedly dragged to a nearby slope and abandoned.

Advertisement

Buhari also shared a photograph of the 37 abducted worshippers which he said was released by the kidnappers six days after the abduction, identifying one of the men in the image as among those who had reportedly died in captivity.

The latest account could not be independently verified as of the time of filing this report.

*Babies born in captivity do not survive*

The survivor also disclosed that the baby delivered by one of the abducted women inside the terrorists’ camp has died.

Advertisement

The birth had earlier drawn widespread attention after another escapee recounted how fellow female captives were forced to assist the woman during labour without medical supplies or professional care.

According to the earlier testimony, the captors allegedly refused to provide a knife or blade to cut the baby’s umbilical cord, forcing one of the women to use her teeth.

The newborn reportedly survived for almost three weeks before dying in the camp.

The latest account further revealed that another pregnant woman abducted from Awon village on April 20 also gave birth while in captivity about two weeks ago.

Advertisement

However, the baby reportedly died the following day.

The 11 victims abducted from Awon village are now said to be held in the same camp as the Ariko victims.

*Victims sleep in the open*

The recently freed captive described extremely harsh living conditions inside the camp.

Advertisement

According to the account, the abductees sleep in the open without any form of shelter, leaving them exposed to rain, cold and harsh weather conditions.
Whenever it rains, they are said to spend the night on wet ground.

The survivor added that many of the remaining children in captivity are ill, with deteriorating health conditions caused by prolonged exposure, hunger and lack of medical attention.

Earlier testimonies from other escapees had also described widespread malnutrition, skin infections and poor sanitation inside the camp.

One 65-year-old woman who escaped after spending 54 days in captivity had narrated how captives survived on boiled leaves, mangoes and stream water, while many were deliberately kept barefoot to prevent escape attempts.

Advertisement

She eventually regained freedom after trekking barefoot through the forest for three days.

*More than 100 days in captivity*

According to Buhari, the 37 victims abducted from Ariko village have now spent 110 days in captivity, while the 11 residents kidnapped from neighbouring Awon village have remained in the same camp for 95 days.

He appealed to Nigerians to continue praying for the victims and their families, expressing hope that they would soon regain their freedom.

Advertisement

The latest development comes amid persistent attacks on communities in Kachia Local Government Area.

Only recently, terrorists invaded Ungwan Atiku village, killing one resident and abducting 11 others, including three nursing mothers and their suckling babies, further deepening concerns over the worsening security situation in Southern Kaduna.

Residents have repeatedly called on security agencies to intensify rescue operations and dismantle criminal camps operating in forests across the area to secure the release of those still being held.

Efforts to obtain the reaction of the Kaduna State Police Command were unsuccessful, as the Command’s Public Relations Officer, DSP Mansir Hassan, neither answered telephone calls nor responded to a text message seeking his comments before this report was filed.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

2027 Presidential election will be easiest for Tinubu, Wike declares

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, stated on Tuesday in Abuja that the upcoming 2027 presidential election will be the easiest contest for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, describing the opposition in Nigeria as “crippled and depleted.”

Responding to questions on the just concluded Osun State Governorship election during a press briefing, Wike argued that the current administration deserves credit for allowing democratic processes to run naturally without undue interference.

“When they lose, they claim the government manipulated the process; when they win, they show off their might. It does not work that way. 

“From what I have seen, this government allows processes to run their own way, and they must be given credit for that,” Wike said.

Advertisement

Dismissing the insinuation that federal might was deployed in support of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in the Osun State election, the FCT Minister said those saying that had not experienced federal might in an election. 

He said; “They don’t know what federal might is. I think they should come and ask people like us who faced federal might in 2019. In Rivers State, in 2019, we saw what is called federal might. We saw soldiers taking over everywhere. Did anything like that happen in Osun State?

Reflecting on past elections, the Minister contrasted the current political climate with the 2023 general election, which he described as stressful and uncertain for the incumbent president.”

On the 2027 presidentialelection, Wike said; “2023 was a tough election for him. “Nobody knew what the government at the time was trying to do, and even governors were afraid. 

Advertisement

“But 2027 will be different. To remove a government, you need a strong, vibrant opposition that has spent over four years planning not one that is constantly looking for a party to join.”

Wike criticized opposition candidates and parties, specifically targeting the African Democratic Congress (ADC) and past PDP presidential contenders, pointing out their internal divisions and poor performances in recent governorship polls. 

He cited the influence of the G5 Governors in the 2023 election, noting that without such support, opposition figures stand little chance in national contests.

“Governorship elections rely on local variables, but a national election is a completely different ballgame.

Advertisement

 “If it is this 2027 election against Bola Ahmed Tinubu, forget it. It’s over”, he stated.

Addressing public discontent over the economy, the minister urged Nigerians to evaluate leadership based on actionable steps taken to address challenges rather than emotional sentiments.

“Leadership is defined by the steps you take to solve problems,” 

 “When someone identifies a problem and takes concrete action to fix it, that is the effort people should appreciate,” Wike concluded.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Maitama Flood: Wike Orders Demolition of Houses Blocking Water Channels(Photos)

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Barr. Nyesom Wike, has ordered the immediate demolition of houses found obstructing designated water channels in Maitama and other flood-prone areas of Abuja.

Wike, who issued the directive after inspecting flood-affected areas in Maitama on Tuesday, said the demolition would commence immediately and continue until Saturday, regardless of the ongoing political activities or the status of the owners of the affected properties.

The minister said the government would no longer tolerate the obstruction of waterways by property owners, warning that the exercise would affect all structures found to have been built on designated water channels, irrespective of the status of their owners.

“We will demolish all those houses found on the water channel. Some of them are senators. Some of them are big men,” Wike said.

Advertisement

“Whether there’s election or there’s no election, all those houses will go down. Heaven will not fall. Rather, heaven will be at peace that the right thing has been done.”

The FCT minister said the recent flooding had exposed several man-made factors contributing to flooding in the capital city, including the construction of buildings on waterways, blockage of drainage channels, indiscriminate dumping of refuse and failure by relevant officials to properly supervise developments and desilt drainage infrastructure.

According to him, the government had inspected the affected locations and discovered that some property owners had deliberately blocked channels designated in the Abuja Master Plan for the passage of stormwater.

“Unfortunately, we have gone there, and we have seen how people have blocked channels where, in the Master Plan, that is the right way where the water is supposed to be channelled,” he said.

Advertisement

Wike said the affected structures were not recently constructed and were largely owned by wealthy Nigerians, stressing that the government would no longer allow social status to prevent enforcement of development regulations.

“All those built-up areas that were not supposed to be built up, not a single poor person will live there. Those houses are houses built by well-to-do Nigerians,” he said.

“Those houses are not houses that were built last week. Those houses have been there 10 years ago, eight years ago.”

The minister said previous administrations might not have had the political will to enforce the regulations, while some government officials may also have failed to carry out their responsibilities effectively.

Advertisement

He, however, insisted that the present FCT Administration had the political will to tackle the situation.

“And let nobody make the mistake that this government lacks the political will to do anything. The person must be making a very big mistake,” Wike said.

“If there is one minister that has that political will, I have. I have the political will.”

Wike also rejected attempts to politicise the recent flooding, arguing that flooding was not a new phenomenon in Abuja or other major cities around the world.

Advertisement

He said while the intensity of rainfall experienced recently could be linked partly to climate change and natural factors, human activities had also contributed significantly to the flooding.

“Flood could be a natural disaster,” he said, citing flooding incidents in cities such as Dubai, the United States and the United Kingdom.

“We are in a climate change period. The kind of rains we have experienced, or we are experiencing now, we have not experienced before. But that is not that there are no man-made factors. There are.”

Wike identified the construction of buildings on waterways, development in areas not designated for construction, failure to desilt drainage systems and indiscriminate disposal of waste as major human factors responsible for flooding.

Advertisement

He therefore directed the relevant FCT authorities to commence immediate desilting of identified drainage systems.

“The facility management is not here. Director is not here. Yes, we have to immediately start desilting some of the areas we have identified,” he said.

The minister also appealed to residents, traders and other members of the public to stop dumping refuse into drainage channels.

The minister dismissed criticism from political commentators over the flooding and the administration’s response, saying he would not be distracted by political considerations.

Advertisement

“I don’t want to reply to political commentators. I don’t want to reply to people who think that appearing on TV, in their houses, will give them an edge to win an election that they have lost. No,” he said.

Wike maintained that the FCT Administration had recorded significant achievements in the past three years, while acknowledging that more challenges remained to be addressed.

“Nobody can diminish what this administration has done in the past three years. Nobody can diminish it,” he said.

“This administration has done very well as far as the Federal Capital Territory is concerned. That does not mean that I can claim that it has solved all problems, no. Are there problems? Yes. Have they solved major problems? Yes. Will they continue to solve problems? Yes.”

Advertisement

He also defended the administration’s record on the issuance of Certificates of Occupancy (Cs-of-O), saying 26,272 Cs-of-O had been signed within the past three years, compared with about 7,000 signed by two previous administrations over 13 years.

According to him, critics should assess the administration based on its overall performance rather than use the flooding incident to discredit its achievements.

Wike further dismissed anticipated criticism that the demolition exercise was politically motivated because of the election season.

He said enforcement of development regulations should not be suspended because of political activities.

Advertisement

“Now you have done your own by blocking the water channel and nothing has happened. Thank God the flood has come. It has drawn our attention to the place. Now something will happen,” he said.

“I’m going to bring those houses down. Any house that’s found on the water channel will go down.”

He directed the FCT Development Control Department to ensure that there was no delay in carrying out the demolition.

“From today to Saturday, if Development Control delay, let them find any excuse to run away. They cannot,” Wike warned.

Advertisement

The minister also criticised the conversion of designated green areas in the capital into other uses, insisting that the administration would protect Abuja’s environmental assets.

He said the government would continue to enforce planning regulations irrespective of the length of time illegal developments had existed.

“Something that was done wrongly will not be corrected? No, we will not allow that. We won’t,” he said.

Wike said the administration would continue to focus on solving problems in the FCT rather than engaging in political arguments, adding that residents who genuinely drew the government’s attention to problems in their communities would be listened to.

Advertisement

“My interest is we’ll continue to do the right thing in FCT, where no one will stop,” he said.

Continue Reading

News

Veteran Nollywood actor, Ogogo diagnosed of stage 4 cancer, daughter begs for support

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

 

Veteran Nigerian actor, Taiwo Hassan known as Ogogo has reportedly been diagnosed with Stage 4 Cancer.

 

This revelation was made by his daughter who made a video requesting for medical assistance from people.

Advertisement

In a video circulating online, the daughter appeals for support to save her ailing father.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News