Connect with us

News

Another 83 Nigerians Evacuated From South Africa Amid Xenophobic Attacks Arrive In Lagos

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Another batch of 83 Nigerians repatriated from South Africa amid continued xenophobic attacks and anti-foreigner violence has arrived in Lagos.

The returnees, comprising 58 adults and 25 children, arrived at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, aboard South African Airways flight SA060.

They are currently undergoing biometric clearance under the supervision of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM).

The latest exercise marks the first time the Nigerian government’s voluntary repatriation programme from South Africa is being carried out through a commercial flight, following seven previous batches transported to Nigeria on chartered aircraft.

Advertisement

The Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, had on Wednesday announced that the 83 Nigerians would be evacuated from South Africa on August 19, 2026.

Odumegwu-Ojukwu said the latest repatriation was made possible through the intervention of a group of public-spirited private individuals and business associates who jointly sponsored the returnees’ air tickets.

She said the returnees departed the Oliver Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg, at 3:35 p.m. local time and were expected to arrive at the Lagos airport at approximately 8:45 p.m.

According to the minister, the same group of individuals has also committed to sponsoring the evacuation of another batch of Nigerians who no longer feel safe in South Africa and have expressed their desire to return home.

Advertisement

The latest returnees bring to 1,573 the number of Nigerians repatriated from South Africa under the government’s voluntary repatriation programme, following the previous evacuation of 1,490 Nigerians.

The programme was launched amid concerns over xenophobic attacks and anti-foreigner sentiments in South Africa, during which some Nigerians were killed while others reportedly lost their properties.

Odumegwu-Ojukwu said the Federal Government remained committed to protecting Nigerians abroad under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Citizen Diplomacy agenda.

She also urged state governments to complement the Federal Government’s efforts by supporting citizens at risk abroad and assisting with evacuation, relocation and resettlement.

Advertisement

The minister said the latest batch comprises Nigerians from Anambra, Ondo, Imo, Oyo, Enugu, Ogun, Abia, Osun, Delta, Kwara and Ekiti states.

She commended the Imo State Government for commencing the disbursement of N1 million each to returning indigenes.

She also acknowledged the Abia State Government’s approval of N1 million each for 31 verified returnees of Abia extraction, as well as the Enugu State Government’s commitment to assisting in the evacuation of stranded indigenes.

The minister called on other state governments to emulate the measures and provide support for their stranded citizens and returnees.

Advertisement

She further thanked Nigerians and groups within and outside the country for assisting citizens facing consular emergencies abroad.

“To our returning Nationals, we say, ‘Welcome Home,’” Odumegwu-Ojukwu said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

We won’t publish details of $5bn Abu Dhabi loan – FG

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Federal Government has said it will not publish specific details of how it plans to spend funds drawn from its $5bn financing facility with First Abu Dhabi Bank.

Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Taiwo Oyedele, said the facility had already gone through the required approval process and was designed mainly to refinance more expensive government debt.

Oyedele spoke on Wednesday during a media briefing in Abuja, amid scrutiny of the financing arrangement and concerns raised by the International Monetary Fund and Fitch Ratings over its transparency and associated risks.

The Federal Government recently drew about $1.5bn from the $5bn Total Return Swap facility. The National Assembly approved the arrangement on March 31, 2026.

Advertisement

Responding to questions about whether details of the transaction would be made public, Oyedele said the government would disclose information on its spending but questioned why the Abu Dhabi facility was receiving particular attention.

“We will not publish how we are spending it. We will publish how we spend government money. There’s nothing special about that loan,” he said.

He added, “Nobody has asked us whether we’re going to publish the money we took from the World Bank, whether we publish the one from Eurobond, whether we publish the one from Sukuk. Why is this one special?”

Oyedele also rejected suggestions that the transaction bypassed due process, stressing that it had been presented to the National Assembly.

Advertisement

“The loan was approved not only by FEC, it was taken to National Assembly because what some people are doing is they comparing with other countries where they did it under the table,” he said.

“What else can be more public than what you gave to the National Assembly?”

The minister explained that the government was drawing the funds in phases to avoid paying costs on money that had not yet been used, while noting that the facility carried a flexible interest rate.

“We’re assessing it in phases. You don’t want to take all the money at once because if you don’t spend it at once, you incur cost on the extra amount you’ve taken,” he said.

Advertisement

Oyedele said the facility would allow Nigeria to benefit if interest rates fell, unlike existing fixed-rate debt.

“This First Abu Dhabi Bank transaction is flexible rates. It means if rates go up, we pay more. If rates come down, we benefit more,” he said.

He maintained that the government’s main objective was to refinance more expensive debt and reduce borrowing costs, while promising that the Ministry of Finance and the Debt Management Office would publish frequently asked questions on the facility in the coming days to provide further clarification.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

US Pastor Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Child Abuse, Wife Convicted

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

A 35-year-old American pastor, Benjamin Garlick, has been sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole following his conviction for the sexual assault of a five-year-old girl in Rutherford County, Tennessee.

A local court found Garlick guilty of seven counts of aggravated rape of a child, six counts of aggravated sexual battery, and solicitation of sexual exploitation of a minor following a two-week trial.

Presiding Judge Barry Tidwell handed down the life sentence for the aggravated rape charges, with sentencing on the remaining convictions scheduled for November 10, 2026.

His 32-year-old wife, Shaantal Garlick, was also convicted on two counts of facilitating the aggravated rape of a child and two counts of aggravated child neglect. Her sentencing has also been set for November 10.

Advertisement

Police investigations began in August 2023 following reports of child abuse. Detectives subsequently identified two additional victims and established that Shaantal knowingly aided the abuse and neglected the child.

Before his arrest in September 2023, Garlick served as an itinerant minister working primarily with Spanish-speaking communities across the United States.

Following the verdict, law enforcement authorities urged additional victims or witnesses in the community to report related incidents to the police.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Court orders firm, agency to clean up Delta oil spill

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

A Federal High Court sitting in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, has ordered Heritage Energy Operational Services Limited and the National Oil Spill Detection and Response Agency to commence the process of cleaning up an oil spill that has devastated Uzere Kingdom in the Isoko South Local Government Area of Delta State.

The order was contained in a ruling in Suit No. FHC/PH/CS/132/2026, filed by the Eric Omare Chambers on behalf of the Ovie of Uzere Kingdom, Udogri Isaac I, who is the applicant representing the Uzere Traditional Council and the entire Uzere community.

In the ruling delivered on Thursday, Justice Adamu Mohammed emphasised the need “to protect the environment and ensure compliance with due process.”

While directing the defendants to “clean up the affected sites and take measures to protect the environment from further harm”, the judge also ordered that “all ongoing oil and gas operations by the defendants in the Uzere Kingdom should be halted pending the resolution of the motion on notice.”

Advertisement

During the hearing, counsel for the plaintiff, N.O. Akporuvweku of E.K. Omare and Co. Chambers, emphasised that the court had previously directed the defendants to show cause regarding the environmental damage and that the necessary documents had been served.

The defendants, represented by O.O. Jarikre and Akomaye, acknowledged receipt of the motion and confirmed that discussions between the parties had been productive, with no objections raised to the application.

Highlighting the urgency of the situation, Justice Mohammed directed the defendants to file an interim compliance report with the court within 14 days.

The deadline, an extension from the initially proposed seven days, revealed the court’s commitment to ensuring that effective measures were swiftly taken to address the ecological damage caused by the oil spill.

Advertisement

The court’s decision was greeted with jubilation by residents of Uzere, who have long suffered the environmental and economic consequences of oil spills.

High Chief Odio Lucky, representing the plaintiff, said the ruling “represents a victory for the Kingdom.”

He added that “it is a critical step in safeguarding the livelihoods and health of the people.”

Uzere Kingdom is in Isoko South Local Government Area of Delta State.

Advertisement

It is a historic oil-producing community and hosts two major oil fields, Uzere East and Uzere West, with dozens of wells, commonly reported as about 43 wells producing around 53,000 barrels per day.

Multiple reports confirm a blowout/eruption at Well 14 in Oil Mining Lease (OML) 30, operated by Heritage Energy Operational Services Limited, also referred to as Heritage Operational Energy Limited or HEOSL.

Contamination of farmland, waterways, fishing grounds, and effects on livelihoods are documented by residents, community leaders, and groups.

Concerns persisted into early August 2026. Many community leaders called for urgent containment, remediation, and public release of investigation findings, according to reports.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News