News
Money Laundering: Drama as Buhari’s Minister of Power, Mamman collapses in court

By Francesca Hangeior
The trial of Saleh Mamman, who served as the Minister of Power under former President Muhammadu Buhari, was postponed on Thursday after he fainted just outside the Federal High Court in Abuja.
Mamman, who was scheduled to appear in court on Thursday morning for his trial, fainted before the proceedings began.
The lawyer for Mamman, Femi Ate, SAN, informed Justice James Omotosho right after the trial was announced that Mamman needed to take his plea.
When the trial resumed, the former minister entered the courtroom and took his place on the dock, with some of his clothing already soaked.
Justice Omotosho then inquired about Mamman’s condition, asking if he was overheating or if it was raining outside.
Mamman, from his position on the dock, replied that he had been drenched with water.
The lawyer for the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Adeyinka Olumide-Fusika, SAN, while speaking in court, mentioned that the trial for Mamman had been scheduled, but there was an unexpected incident outside the courtroom.
Olumide-Fusika explained that he had a conversation with Ate outside the courtroom regarding Mamman’s health issues.
“I was informed of an incident outside. I will want my learned senior advocate to tell the honourable court himself,” he said.
Addressing journalists on Thursday morning, Ate said Mamman, “Upon being brought into the premises of the court, collapsed and had to be resuscitated and treated by the medical personnel of the Federal High Court.”
Ate stressed that his client (Mamman), was served with the charge after he was resuscitated.
“He was served this morning,” he added.
The senior lawyer requested a delay in proceedings from Olumide-Fusika to ensure the arraignment could take place on Monday, when his client would be in a better state.
However, the judge informed them that the court was so busy with cases that the arraignment could only be rescheduled for the end of September.
Following this, Olumide-Fusika decided to cancel the request for a delay.
Olumide-Fusika mentioned that he had corrected a typo in the defendant’s name earlier that morning and asked the court to inform Mamman of the updated charge, hoping he would give his plea. However, Justice Omotosho opposed this request.
The judge then inquired if Mamman was capable of giving his plea today, to which he replied in the affirmative.
The former minister explained to the court that he fainted outside the courtroom due to not eating and the effects of the drugs he had taken. While waiting outside, his blood pressure dropped.
Mamman, on the other hand, stated that he was in good health and ready to proceed with the arraignment.
“It can happen to anyone,” the judge said.
The former minister stated to the judge that he notified his attorney about the mistake the EFCC made regarding the name included in the arrest warrant they presented to him.
However, Justice Omotosho then stepped down the arraignment.
News
Stakeholders plead with Tinubu to review appointment of DG, National Agricultural Seed Council

Stakeholders and experts in the Seed Sector of Nigeria have appealed to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to review the recent appointment of a substantive Director General for the National Agricultural Seed Council (NASC).
Stakeholders’ concern stemmed from the fact that Hon Fatuhu Mohammed Buhari who was appointed as substantive Director General of the Council did not possess the requisite professional qualification and cognate experience in seed science and technology as provided for in the Act establishing the Council.
In the open letter of appeal to President Tinubu signed on behalf of the Seed Sector by Engineer Olagbaju Akeju, a technical consultant/seed processor, the group cited a breach of Part III, Section 6 of the National Seed Council Act of 2019, which is the regulatory framework to establish food governance and remove quackery from the Nigeria Seed System.
Specifically, Part III, Section 6, states: “The President shall appoint on the recommendation of the Hon. Minister, candidate who possesses professional qualification and cognate experience in Seed Science and Technology.”
The group said that: “This requirement is very fundamental to continue to sustain the gain and international recognition of the Nigerian Agricultural Seed System as African model.”
According to the group, “It is for this purpose that Mr. President’s attention is invited to take another look at the appointment of Hon. Fatuhu Mohammed Buhari as Director General of the Council as earlier announced and confirmed, pending the request for Dr. Ishiaku Othman Khalid to serve as substantive Director-General of the Council for a single term.”
It would be recalled that until a few days ago, before the announcement of Hon. Fatuhu Mohammed Buhari as the Director-General by Mr. President, the Acting Director-General, Dr. Ishiaku Othman Khalid, a seasoned Seed Expert who grew within the system to become a director, was expected to be confirmed as the substantive Director General.
“During his tenure in acting capacity, the Seed Council attained international recognition as testified by the Council of Head of States in Africa Union for Food Security Committee. The Nigeria Seed System has also become remarkable as a model working for Nigeria and should be adopted by other African countries.”
On appointment of core professionals to head the Council, the group noted: “Since its establishment, the leadership of this unique agency has always been selected among the professionals in the relevant seed science and technology for the post of Director-General.
“It appeared that Mr. President was misled to appoint a non-professional as Director-General. This appointment did not only contravene the extant law but also breach Mr. President’s belief to give opportunity for serving officers to reach the pinnacle of their careers.”
News
Just in: Supreme Court sacks ,Abure as LP chairman

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa
The Supreme Court has set aside the judgment of the Court of Appeal in Abuja recognising Julius Abure as the National Chairman of the Labour Party (LP).
In a unanimous judgment, a five-member panel of the apex court held that the Court of Appeal lacked the jurisdiction to have pronounced Abure National Chairman of the Labour Party, after finding out earlier that the substance of the case was about the party’s leadership.
The apex court held that the issue of leadership was an internal affair of a party over which courts lacked jurisdiction.
The court further allowed the appeal filed by Senator Nenadi Usman and one other and held that it was meritorious.
It also proceeded to dismiss the cross-appeal filed by the Abure group of the Labour Party for being unmeritorious.
More shortly…
News
Tinubu’s Political Adviser, Baba-Ahmed Resigns

The political adviser to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Dr Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, has resigned.
The former spokesman of the Northern Elders Forum (NEF) tendered his resignation about two weeks ago.
Presidential sources were quoted as saying Dr. Baba-Ahmed did not provide details of the reasons for his decision and only stated that it was on personal grounds.
Baba-Ahmed was appointed Special Adviser on Political Matters in the Office of Vice President Kashim Shettima in September 2023.
Over the past 17 months, he has represented the presidency at several public fora, including a recent national conference themed: “Strengthening Nigeria’s Democracy: Pathway to Good Governance and Political Integrity”, which held from 28th to 29th January, 2025 in Abuja.
Daily Trust
-
News24 hours ago
Natasha: Kogi PDP hammers Ododo, reiterates unfeigned support for her
-
Economy23 hours ago
SEE Black Market Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate Today 3rd April 2025
-
News19 hours ago
Just in: “Ignore rumour mongers, there was no time I collapsed “-Wike asserts
-
News19 hours ago
CJ transfers Natasha’s case to Justice Nyako
-
News22 hours ago
Just in: INEC dumps recall petition against Sen Natasha
-
News8 hours ago
How I Got Helicopter Idea To Visit Kogi State – Senator Natasha
-
Entertainment8 hours ago
Why I didn’t sleep with Bobrisky – Portable
-
News8 hours ago
Rivers CJ directs High Court judges to proceed on break