Connect with us

News

BDC operator sues EFCC for N1.2b over alleged illegal detention

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

A Bureau De Change (BDC) operator, Suleiman Babangida Sani, has sued the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for alleged arrest, torture, and illegal detention without trial.

The applicant, through his lawyer, Edwin Anikwem (SAN), is praying for an order mandating the EFCC to pay him N200 million as general damages, and N1 billion as exemplary damages for flagrant violation of his fundamental rights.

The applicant is also asking the court for an order compelling the EFCC to tender an unreserved public apology for the infringement on his fundamental rights.

In a 33-paragraph affidavit sworn to by Olalekan Joseph Bayode, the deponent stated that the applicant had been at the EFCC detention centre at Okotie Eboh Street in Ikoyi, Lagos, since June 1 when he was arrested.

Advertisement

Anikwem averred that the applicant had been carrying on his business since 1993 as a BDC operator.

The deponent said the EFCC invited the applicant through a telephone call on June 1 to report to their office at 15A, Awolowo Road in Ikoyi, Lagos, adding that as a responsible and law-abiding citizen, he complied with the invitation.

According to the deponent, upon arrival, the applicant was asked about certain transactions concerning his BDC business, which he provided.

Anikwem averred that the officers informed him that the answers he provided were unsatisfactory and thus prevented him from leaving their office, thereby arresting and detaining him.

Advertisement

The lawyer said the applicant was not given any information about the nature of the offence he was arrested and detained for.

He added: “The applicant has not been charged with any criminal offence nor has he been informed of what his offence is since his arrest and detention on the 1st of June, 2024.

“Because of the poor sanitary condition of the cell, the applicant developed an extremely painful abscess on his fingertips while he was in detention.”

Anikwem averred that the applicant was not treated for the ailment despite complaining officially to be taken to the hospital, and as a result of the said untreated painful abscess on the fingertips, the applicant developed high blood pressure.

Advertisement

“When the applicant complained to officers of the EFCC about his health condition, he was ignored as there was no medical facility to cater for his deteriorating health.

“As a result of the applicant’s arrest and detention without trial, the applicant’s business has been closed for more than 150 days, leading to substantial financial loss in the business.

“The applicant is the sole breadwinner of his family which comprises a housewife, eight children, and an ailing aged mother of 105 years.

“As a result of the applicant’s arrest and detention, the applicant’s children have been out of school due to their inability to pay their school fees and other incidental expenses.

Advertisement

“As a result of the applicant’s arrest and continued detention, the applicant’s mother has resorted to praying for death as she does not want to be the one to bury her son.”

Anikwem averred that it would be in the interest of justice for the application to be urgently and expeditiously determined as the applicant has been languishing in detention.

The applicant is praying for a declaration that the continued detention of the applicant by the EFCC without charging him to court flagrantly violates his fundamental rights to life, respect for the dignity of his person, liberty and movement as guaranteed by Sections 33, 34, 35 and 41 of the 1999 Constitution and Article 6 of the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights (Ratification and Enforcement) Act, Cap A9 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004 and is therefore unconstitutional, unlawful, illegal, null and void.

He prayed for: “An order enforcing the Applicant’s fundamental rights by ordering his release from unlawful detention currently imposed on him by the Respondents.

Advertisement

“An order compelling the respondents to tender an unreserved public apology to the applicant for the infringement on his fundamental rights.

“An order mandating the respondents to pay to the applicant general damages of N200,000,000.00 (two hundred million Naira) only for harassment, torture, arrest and unlawful detention of the applicant’s person without trial.

“An order mandating the respondents to pay to the applicant the sum of N1,000,000,000.00 (One billion Naira) only as exemplary damages for the flagrant violation of his fundamental rights to wit: unlawful arrest and detention without trial.

“And such further order or orders as this honourable court may deem fit to make in the circumstances.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Warning: Undefined variable $user_ID in /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/themes/zox-news/comments.php on line 49

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

2027: Gov dumps deputy, picks ex-commissioner as running mate

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Governor Nasir Idris of Kebbi State has replaced his deputy, Senator Umar Abubakar Tafida Arugungu, with a former Commissioner for Finance, Ibrahim Muhammad Augie, as his running mate for the 2027 governorship election.

The decision was announced on Sunday by the All Progressives Congress National Organising Secretary, Suleiman Muhammad Argungu, at the Presidential Lodge in Birnin Kebbi.

Argungu made the announcement during a thank-you visit by political stakeholders from the Argungu Emirate to the governor.

He explained that the change followed legal advice regarding the eligibility of the incumbent deputy governor to contest alongside Idris in the 2027 election.

Advertisement

According to him, Tafida Arugungu was dropped as the governor’s running mate based on the advice received from legal experts.

Argungu subsequently named Augie as the new running mate to Idris, while stressing that the decision was taken with the knowledge and consent of the outgoing deputy governor.

He dismissed speculation of a rift between Idris and Tafida Arugungu, urging APC members and supporters across the state to accept the development and remain united ahead of the 2027 poll.

Speaking to journalists after the event, Idris also denied any disagreement with his deputy, assuring party supporters that he would work with Augie to advance the interests of the state.

Advertisement

Augie, who hails from Augie Local Government Area, served as Commissioner for Finance during the administration of former Governor Atiku Bagudu.

The governor also thanked the people of the Argungu Emirate for their continued support for his administration and called on party members to remain focused on the development of the state.

Continue Reading

News

el-Rufai files fresh N10b suit against ICPC for allegedly denying family access to him

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Former Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir el-Rufai, has filed, among nine reliefs, a fresh N10 billion fundamental rights suit against the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), alleging that the agency has prevented his wife and son from visiting him in custody.

In the meantime, El-Rufai’s son and representative of Kaduna North Federal Constituency, Mohammed El-Rufai, over the weekend celebrated his father and stepmother, Asia, on their 27th wedding anniversary.

The former minister’s originating motion marked FHC/ABJ/CS/1852/2026 and filed at the Federal High Court in Abuja on August 13, 2026, by El-Rufai’s lawyer, Ubong Akpan, also listed the ICPC chairman and the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) as second and third defendants.

He alleged that his wife, Aichatou Asabe, and son, Abba el-Rufai, were prevented from accessing him despite an existing court order permitting visits by his family members and legal representatives.

Advertisement

The former governor asked the court to declare that his fundamental rights under Part IV of the 1999 Constitution remain enforceable despite his detention by the ICPC.

He alleged that the repeated denial of access to his family members had prevented them from providing him with food, medication and other necessities.

According to him, the alleged restriction violated his rights to dignity, private and family life as guaranteed under Sections 34 and 37 of the Constitution, as well as Articles 5 and 18 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights.

Also alleging that ICPC officers physically restrained and intimidated his wife and son during an incident on July 7, he asked the court to declare the alleged conduct and continued denial of family access without lawful authority unconstitutional, illegal, null and void.

Advertisement

The former governor further sought an order directing the ICPC and other respondents to grant him unhindered and reasonable access to his family and lawyers throughout his detention, in line with an earlier order of the Federal High Court.

According to el-Rufai, the alleged actions had subjected him to “humiliation, emotional trauma, anxiety and psychological distress.”

He argued that the respondents’ conduct amounted to an unjustifiable interference with his dignity and family life and was inconsistent with constitutional protections and provisions of the African Charter.

Meanwhile, in a statement on Facebook, Mohammed described his stepmother as the “glue” of the family and praised her for her compassion, intellect and support for vulnerable people.

Advertisement

He recalled how Asia took him back to Zaria Academy when he was in Junior Secondary School 1, describing her as “an avid reader, a brilliant lawyer” and a woman whose compassion extended beyond her immediate family.

He said his stepmother devoted herself to supporting widows and orphans during his father’s tenure as governor, while also crediting her with shaping his values and approach to representing Kaduna North.

“Every good thing we continue to do for Kaduna North is due to the teachings and knowledge she has imparted in me since I was 11 years old. Every bad thing is my fault,” he said.

Reflecting on Asia and his father’s marriage, Mohammed said he had witnessed his stepmother’s unwavering support for his father through different periods of his life. He added that her strength and presence had remained a source of comfort, particularly as his father’s detention continues.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Ganduje’s son returns to APC after 3 months in Kwankwaso’s NDC

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

‎Abdulaziz Umar Ganduje, the eldest son of former Governor of Kano State and ex-National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, has returned to the ruling party after a brief defection to the New Democratic Congress (NDC).

‎On Sunday, Abdulaziz was formally received back into the APC fold at the Ganduje Ward office in Dawakin Tofa Local Government Area, where he collected his membership card.

Party officials and supporters were present to witness the occasion, which was seen as a reaffirmation of loyalty to the APC structure in Kano.

‎Abdulaziz had earlier joined the NDC and picked up its nomination form to contest the Dawakin Tofa/Tofa/Rimin Gado Federal Constituency seat. His move was widely interpreted as aligning with the Kwankwasiyya movement of former Governor Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, a long-time rival of his father.

Advertisement

‎His return to APC comes after the deadline for obtaining nomination forms had closed, meaning the action was symbolic rather than an immediate electoral bid. It is, however, viewed as a significant step in consolidating the Ganduje family’s political base in Dawakin Tofa.

‎Kano politics has for years been shaped by the rivalry between Kwankwaso’s Kwankwasiyya movement and Ganduje’s APC faction.

Abdulaziz’s earlier defection was seen as a boost to Kwankwasiyya, while his return strengthens his father’s camp ahead of the 2027 elections.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News