Connect with us

News

How we escaped death in Ibadan fatal accident -Traders

Published

on

Survivors and traders at Eleyele Market, Ibadan have revealed how they escaped death in a fatal accident that occurred at Eleyele Junction in the city on Wednesday, resulting in the loss of two lives while six others were injured.

The incident occurred at the peak traffic hours, causing disruption in the area. The scene was chaotic, with bystanders rushing to help the victims while others called for emergency services.

Security agents arrived quickly at the scene while emergency responders worked to transport the injured to nearby hospitals for treatment. The two deceased persons were said to have been pronounced dead on arrival.

The accident has raised concerns among residents about road safety measures at the busy junction. But in the aftermath of the accident, some traders and survivors have narrated their ordeal during the sad incident.

Advertisement

Speaking with our correspondent, a transporter at Eleyele garage, Isiaka Awoyemi, said he would have also died in the accident if his bus was loading at the time the accident occurred.

He said: “I was sitting down there when the incident occurred. I packed my bus inside the garage. We all ran for our lives because it was sudden and unexpected.

“I also would have died if not for God that saved me.”

He added: “One of the women that died just got to the market in the morning. She went to buy food, and on her way back to her seat, the truck crushed her.

Advertisement

“Although she also tried to escape, she could not. After the incident, when we all got back from where we ran to, we carried her, unknown to us that the truck had also crushed the head of another woman who was sitting down there.

“Some of the victims who were seriously injured are currently at UCH (University College Hospital, Ibadan) while others with minor injuries are in a nearby hospital

“Two people died. One was buried yesterday. Her mother has heard about the incident. Her father died only recently.

“She had four children and her children are still small. We tried to rescue her. We took her to the hospital but we were told she had already died.

Advertisement

“They said her waist was broken.”

Another trader at the market, Mrs. Fatimoh Bakare, who also witnessed the accident, said: “We cannot explain how it happened. We were sitting down with our respective goods. Then suddenly we heard a loud noise.

“We ran and most of us fell down. It was just like a film. I was also injured.

“Kazeem Bolanle, who is a brother to me, is currently at UCH. His two legs were broken.

Advertisement

She said: “We sat down and were backing the road. Then we just heard the sound. God saved me. I don’t even know how I fell down and escaped.”

Our reporter, who also visited Arike Hospital, Eleyele Junction, Ibadan where two victims were taken gathered that the two victims had been discharged and had gone home.

Efforts made by our reporter to get the reactions of injured victims at the University College Hospital (UCH) Emergency Unit were abortive as access to the victims was denied by the security people on ground.

Meanwhile, one of the traders at the market, Mrs Sakirat Kazeem, has revealed her last moment with one of the deceased persons popularly known as “Iya Alfa”, describing the deceased as a lovely and kind-hearted woman.

Advertisement

She said: “We called her Iya Alfa. She was a senior wife to me. She was a good woman. In fact, at times, she paid the transport fare for my goods when I didn’t have money.

“She didn’t use to come to the market every day; she only came every five days. She used to come from Ido market. She would bring whatever she bought at Ido market here to sell.

“The day the accident occurred was the first day she would come to the market since the beginning of this year.

“When she came in the morning, she greeted me happy new year, and I also responded.

Advertisement

“There is nothing someone can do without God. I can’t even explain how I escaped, because I was also at the scene of the incident

“When I saw the truck coming, I jumped and held a poll. I started shouting Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ. I jumped away despite the fact that I didn’t have the strength to jump.

The Iyaloja (market leader) of Eleyele Market, Alhaja Ganiyat Adekola and Chairman of the garage, Wasiu Lamidi, while speaking with The Nation, said those that died or got injured were not roadside traders, adding that the truck crushed them inside the garage following brake failure.

They urged the state government to provide a large space for traders to serve as a market for them instead of using the garage, to forestall future reoccurrence.

Advertisement

“We need a proper market so that our people will stop using the garage as market. Also, the VIO should enlighten truck drivers on how to drive the truck.

“The boy who drove the truck was too small. Anybody who would drive a truck should be mature and have enough experience.”

As the community mourns the loss of life and supports the injured, it is clear that this tragic event has sparked a renewed commitment to road safety in Ibadan.

Residents hope that through collaboration and proactive measures, they can create a safer environment for all road users. The memory of the victims will serve as a catalyst for change, urging everyone to prioritise safety on the roads.

Advertisement

Community leaders and concerned citizens within the area have begun to discuss potential solutions to enhance safety at Eleyele Junction, emphasising the need for increased awareness among drivers and the importance of adhering to traffic regulations.

Some residents suggested organising a community-led campaign to educate drivers on safe driving practices, particularly in high-traffic areas. The discussion highlighted the collective responsibility of both authorities and citizens in ensuring road safety.

Officials acknowledged the community’s concerns and have pledged to take action to improve safety measures. This incident serves as a stark reminder of the dangers present on the roads and the urgent need for effective interventions to prevent future accidents.

Advertisement

News

Stakeholders plead with Tinubu to review appointment of DG, National Agricultural Seed Council

Published

on

Stakeholders and experts in the Seed Sector of Nigeria have appealed to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to review the recent appointment of a substantive Director General for the National Agricultural Seed Council (NASC).

Stakeholders’ concern stemmed from the fact that Hon Fatuhu Mohammed Buhari who was appointed as substantive Director General of the Council did not possess the requisite professional qualification and cognate experience in seed science and technology as provided for in the Act establishing the Council.

In the open letter of appeal to President Tinubu signed on behalf of the Seed Sector by Engineer Olagbaju Akeju, a technical consultant/seed processor, the group cited a breach of Part III, Section 6 of the National Seed Council Act of 2019, which is the regulatory framework to establish food governance and remove quackery from the Nigeria Seed System.

Specifically, Part III, Section 6, states: “The President shall appoint on the recommendation of the Hon. Minister, candidate who possesses professional qualification and cognate experience in Seed Science and Technology.”

Advertisement

The group said that: “This requirement is very fundamental to continue to sustain the gain and international recognition of the Nigerian Agricultural Seed System as African model.”

According to the group, “It is for this purpose that Mr. President’s attention is invited to take another look at the appointment of Hon. Fatuhu Mohammed Buhari as Director General of the Council as earlier announced and confirmed, pending the request for Dr. Ishiaku Othman Khalid to serve as substantive Director-General of the Council for a single term.”

It would be recalled that until a few days ago, before the announcement of Hon. Fatuhu Mohammed Buhari as the Director-General by Mr. President, the Acting Director-General, Dr. Ishiaku Othman Khalid, a seasoned Seed Expert who grew within the system to become a director, was expected to be confirmed as the substantive Director General.

“During his tenure in acting capacity, the Seed Council attained international recognition as testified by the Council of Head of States in Africa Union for Food Security Committee. The Nigeria Seed System has also become remarkable as a model working for Nigeria and should be adopted by other African countries.”

Advertisement

On appointment of core professionals to head the Council, the group noted: “Since its establishment, the leadership of this unique agency has always been selected among the professionals in the relevant seed science and technology for the post of Director-General.

“It appeared that Mr. President was misled to appoint a non-professional as Director-General. This appointment did not only contravene the extant law but also breach Mr. President’s belief to give opportunity for serving officers to reach the pinnacle of their careers.”

Continue Reading

News

Just in: Supreme Court sacks ,Abure as LP chairman

Published

on

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa

The Supreme Court has set aside the judgment of the Court of Appeal in Abuja recognising Julius Abure as the National Chairman of the Labour Party (LP).

In a unanimous judgment, a five-member panel of the apex court held that the Court of Appeal lacked the jurisdiction to have pronounced Abure National Chairman of the Labour Party, after finding out earlier that the substance of the case was about the party’s leadership.

The apex court held that the issue of leadership was an internal affair of a party over which courts lacked jurisdiction.

Advertisement

The court further allowed the appeal filed by Senator Nenadi Usman and one other and held that it was meritorious.

It also proceeded to dismiss the cross-appeal filed by the Abure group of the Labour Party for being unmeritorious.

More shortly…

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Tinubu’s Political Adviser, Baba-Ahmed Resigns

Published

on

By

The political adviser to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Dr Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, has resigned.

The former spokesman of the Northern Elders Forum (NEF) tendered his resignation about two weeks ago.

Presidential sources were quoted as saying Dr. Baba-Ahmed did not provide details of the reasons for his decision and only stated that it was on personal grounds.

Baba-Ahmed was appointed Special Adviser on Political Matters in the Office of Vice President Kashim Shettima in September 2023.

Advertisement

Over the past 17 months, he has represented the presidency at several public fora, including a recent national conference themed: “Strengthening Nigeria’s Democracy: Pathway to Good Governance and Political Integrity”, which held from 28th to 29th January, 2025 in Abuja.

Daily Trust

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News