News
Five feared dead as military clashes with Shi’te protesters in FCT

A deadly confrontation erupted in Abuja on Friday when security forces opened fire on Shi’ite protesters during an International Quds Day procession, resulting in at least five deaths and numerous injuries.
The clash occurred near Banex Plaza in Wuse 2, where thousands of members of the Islamic Movement had gathered to mark the last Friday of Ramadan in solidarity with Palestinians.
Military forces, using armoured vehicles and firing indiscriminately, blocked the procession route after Jummah prayers.
A senior member of the Muslim sect, who spoke to Vanguard in confidence, described the events.
He said, “Today is International Quds Day, the last Friday of Ramadan. We always show solidarity with Palestine on this occasion. This morning, we saw a memo from the National Security Adviser instructing security forces to act. We initially planned to gather at the National Mosque, but it was occupied. To avoid confrontation, we moved towards the Customs Office, but security forces blocked us near Wuse Market. We proceeded towards Banex Plaza, where no security presence was observed.”
‘The situation escalated quickly’
“Thousands had gathered from across the country. After Jummah prayers, we began our procession. As we passed Banner Junction, the military started shooting. Only the military were present—there were no police officers. They brought an armoured vehicle, blocked the road, and fired indiscriminately at unarmed civilians, including women and children. So far, five people are confirmed dead, many are injured, and security forces have detained several others. An eyewitness saw a Hilux van carrying a body. We are relocating to safety.”
The Shi’ite leader suggested a government directive was behind the crackdown.
According to him, “We saw the memo but have not confirmed its authenticity. The version we received was stamped, signed, and secretly sent to the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps. Security agencies nationwide received it, particularly in areas where processions were expected. Yet, only Abuja witnessed violence.”
‘Call for Accountability’
“This was the military. The leadership must explain why this happened. Two weeks ago, the Foreign Affairs Minister supported Palestinian freedom at a Muslim congress in Saudi Arabia. Every human being should stand for Palestinian rights, yet here, people are attacked for doing the same. More details will follow,” the source added.
The violence disrupted commercial activity at Banex Plaza. Social media initially reported one death before the IMN confirmed five.
Another eyewitness, Terlula Michael, an engineer who works at Banex Plaza, provided a different perspective.
“I saw protesters throwing stones at civilian vehicles—how is that peaceful?” he queried.
The U.S. Embassy had warned of potential unrest linked to IMN demonstrations, but as of press time, neither the military nor the government had issued a statement on the fatal clash.
News
Just in: Gunmen Hijack Loaded Bus,K!!ll Driver, Abduct Passengers

Tragedy struck in Ikobi, Otukpo Local Government Area of Benue State on Thursday night as gunmen hijacked a fully loaded Benue Links bus, killing the driver and kidnapping all passengers on board.
The gunmen, however, left a toddler behind.
Sources revealed that the assailants ambushed the bus along the highway, fatally shooting the driver before forcibly taking the passengers into the bush. However, a young boy was reportedly spared by the kidnappers.
Although, authorities are yet to issue an official statement on the incident, but security agencies have been alerted and are said to be tracking the whereabouts of the victims.
Reacting to the latest attack, the president of Ochetoha K’Idoma youth wing, Mike Magaji, decried the inaction of the state government over the killings in the state.
He said the governor did not make any meaningful speech during his visit to Otukpo on Thursday.
He said, “It is heartbreaking that our people continue to live in fear while the government remains silent. How many more lives must be lost before decisive action is taken?
“The governor’s visit to Otukpo was a disappointment. Our people expected leadership, not vague reassurances. We need a clear plan to end these attacks.
“The government must rise up to its responsibilities. We cannot continue to mourn our people daily while those in power look the other way.”
Daily Post
News
Stakeholders plead with Tinubu to review appointment of DG, National Agricultural Seed Council

Stakeholders and experts in the Seed Sector of Nigeria have appealed to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to review the recent appointment of a substantive Director General for the National Agricultural Seed Council (NASC).
Stakeholders’ concern stemmed from the fact that Hon Fatuhu Mohammed Buhari who was appointed as substantive Director General of the Council did not possess the requisite professional qualification and cognate experience in seed science and technology as provided for in the Act establishing the Council.
In the open letter of appeal to President Tinubu signed on behalf of the Seed Sector by Engineer Olagbaju Akeju, a technical consultant/seed processor, the group cited a breach of Part III, Section 6 of the National Seed Council Act of 2019, which is the regulatory framework to establish food governance and remove quackery from the Nigeria Seed System.
Specifically, Part III, Section 6, states: “The President shall appoint on the recommendation of the Hon. Minister, candidate who possesses professional qualification and cognate experience in Seed Science and Technology.”
The group said that: “This requirement is very fundamental to continue to sustain the gain and international recognition of the Nigerian Agricultural Seed System as African model.”
According to the group, “It is for this purpose that Mr. President’s attention is invited to take another look at the appointment of Hon. Fatuhu Mohammed Buhari as Director General of the Council as earlier announced and confirmed, pending the request for Dr. Ishiaku Othman Khalid to serve as substantive Director-General of the Council for a single term.”
It would be recalled that until a few days ago, before the announcement of Hon. Fatuhu Mohammed Buhari as the Director-General by Mr. President, the Acting Director-General, Dr. Ishiaku Othman Khalid, a seasoned Seed Expert who grew within the system to become a director, was expected to be confirmed as the substantive Director General.
“During his tenure in acting capacity, the Seed Council attained international recognition as testified by the Council of Head of States in Africa Union for Food Security Committee. The Nigeria Seed System has also become remarkable as a model working for Nigeria and should be adopted by other African countries.”
On appointment of core professionals to head the Council, the group noted: “Since its establishment, the leadership of this unique agency has always been selected among the professionals in the relevant seed science and technology for the post of Director-General.
“It appeared that Mr. President was misled to appoint a non-professional as Director-General. This appointment did not only contravene the extant law but also breach Mr. President’s belief to give opportunity for serving officers to reach the pinnacle of their careers.”
News
Just in: Supreme Court sacks ,Abure as LP chairman

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa
The Supreme Court has set aside the judgment of the Court of Appeal in Abuja recognising Julius Abure as the National Chairman of the Labour Party (LP).
In a unanimous judgment, a five-member panel of the apex court held that the Court of Appeal lacked the jurisdiction to have pronounced Abure National Chairman of the Labour Party, after finding out earlier that the substance of the case was about the party’s leadership.
The apex court held that the issue of leadership was an internal affair of a party over which courts lacked jurisdiction.
The court further allowed the appeal filed by Senator Nenadi Usman and one other and held that it was meritorious.
It also proceeded to dismiss the cross-appeal filed by the Abure group of the Labour Party for being unmeritorious.
More shortly…
-
Economy24 hours ago
SEE Black Market Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate Today 3rd April 2025
-
News19 hours ago
Just in: “Ignore rumour mongers, there was no time I collapsed “-Wike asserts
-
News19 hours ago
CJ transfers Natasha’s case to Justice Nyako
-
News9 hours ago
How I Got Helicopter Idea To Visit Kogi State – Senator Natasha
-
News23 hours ago
Just in: INEC dumps recall petition against Sen Natasha
-
Entertainment9 hours ago
Why I didn’t sleep with Bobrisky – Portable
-
News8 hours ago
Rivers CJ directs High Court judges to proceed on break
-
News16 hours ago
We’re putting together new 2025 Budget for Rivers-Ibas