Connect with us

News

Court send man to life in prison for defiling his friend’s 12-year-old daughter

Published

on

By Francesca Hangeior

An Ikeja Sexual Offences and Domestic Violence Court, has sentenced a 53-year-old rubber trader, Kenneth Mba, to life imprisonment for defiling a friend’s 12-year-old daughter.

Justice Rahman Oshodi, in his judgement, held that the prosecution proved the charge of defilement against the convict beyond a reasonable doubt.

The judge handed down the verdict after finding Mr Mba guilty of the offence of defilement of a minor.

The presiding judge said the convict’s confessional statement indicates that he defiled the survivor in his room three times and gave her N200 each time after sex was corroborated with the survivor’s testimony.

He, however, said his oral evidence to deflate the charge did not hold water. Mr Oshodi referred to the convict as a pathological liar whose testimony was an afterthought as his testimony lacked credibility.

He said the convict betrayed the trust the survivor’s father had for him, as they had been friends for over 20 years. The judge held that the evidence of the survivor was unequivocal, straight forward and full of clarity. The judge also held that the confessional statement was consistent with the evidence before the court.

“I must accept that his confessional statement is true, as it is consistent, unequivocal and corroborated by the prosecutor’s evidence. The medical report also corroborated the prosecution witness evidence,” he said

Mba was then convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment. The judge also ordered that the convict’s name be registered in the Lagos State Sexual Offences Register.

“You have been convicted of defilement and the offence is grave. You, at the age of 51, had sex with your friend’s daughter, whom you knew was 12 years old. Despite the overwhelming evidence before the court, you came to lie in your oral evidence.”

Mr Oshodi held that the charge against him carried a mandatory sentence.

“I hereby sentence you to life imprisonment. You shall serve your term in the Ikoyi Custodial Centre, where you are currently being held,” he said

The state counsel, Inumidun Solaarin, presented three witnesses, while the convict testified as a sole witness.

Ms Solaarin submitted that the convict committed the offence sometime in April 2021 on Ogunjimi Street, Iwaya, Yaba Lagos.

Continue Reading

News

Bandits Abduct Fouani MD, 3 Others ….Demand $1.5m Ransom

Published

on

Armed men, on Friday, abducted the Managing Director of Fouani Company, which represents LG and Hisense, along with three Lebanese while travelling by boat in Lagos, PUNCH Online reports.

Although the names of the victims have not been ascertained, it was learnt that they were abducted around Falomo Bridge while traveling from Apapa to Victoria Island.

A source familiar with the incident, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of its sensitive nature, told PUNCH Online that the kidnappers had reached out, demanding ransom.

“Yesterday (Friday) evening, the Managing Director of Fouani company (LG and Hisense) and three Lebanese were kidnapped around Falomo Bridge while traveling from Apapa to Victoria Island by boat.

“The kidnappers have asked for $1.5m,” the source said.

When contacted, the Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin, confirmed the development.

“Yes, it is true. We got the report and we are looking into it. Please, I’m not obliged to state more than that,” he simply said.

When our correspondent asked about the details of the names of the abducted persons, Hundeyin insisted, “I’m not obliged to state the names, when, where and how it happened for now but we are looking into it.”

Continue Reading

News

SEE Pictures from the National prayers session organised by the national Hajj commission of Nigeria (NAHCON)

Published

on

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa

SEE Pictures from the National prayers session organised by the national Hajj commission of Nigeria (NAHCON)

Continue Reading

News

Group raises alarm over looming food shortage in Southwest

Published

on

..… calls on govt to provide security, incentives to farmers

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa

A Yoruba socio-political group, Yoruba Commitment Forum (YCF) has raised an alarm about the looming food shortage in the South West region of the country.

The group said, though, the impending food insecurity is a national crisis, stressing that its impact on Yorubaland is going to be calamitous.

This was contained in a statement jointly signed by Otunba Hon Tayo Onayemi, Barr. Akeem Aponmade,

Barr. Femi Mokikan, Otunba Niyi Sodiya, Mrs. Buky Tunde Oshunrinde and Mrs. Sola Maja, and made available to newsmen in Abeokuta, Ogun State capital.

The YCF attributed the looming food shortage to the invasion and destruction of farmlands by rampaging Fulani herders.

The group, while calling for adequate security of farmers and their farmlands, equally appealed to the federal government to adequately compensate whose farmlands were destroyed and as well give them financial incentives, to encourage them to go back to farm.

The statement titled, “Nigeria’s headaches, food insecurity in Yorubaland”, read, “we have observed that for about seven years now, Fulani herdsmen have been engaging in a relentless destruction of farmlands and settlements in Yorubaland. These criminal Fulani elements resorted to kidnapping, raping, maiming and killing of farmers and Yoruba sons and daughters.

“Neither the governments at any level, nor Fulani herdsmen’s apologists would claim ignorance of the atrocious activities of these ruthless people. Video recordings of their wicked actions suffuse the internet. The end result is that farmers began to be scared off their farms gradually until now when farms have been completely abandoned.

“When this started years ago, foresighted individuals raised concerns; they warned about the potential danger of food insecurity beginning with rising food prices and the need to ensure a stable food supply. It appears that Southwest was deliberately targeted and the invasion of our farmlands was the execution of a conscious plan to starve our people to death.

“We, the Yoruba Nation agitators, cried out for help against the brazen onslaught, but none came from the federal government led by a Fulani man.

“Unfortunately, the hens have now come home to roost as the consequences of our action, and inaction, are now here for real with food shortages and very high prices making it increasingly difficult for our people to access the basic necessity of food.

“Before the current situation spirals out of control, we hasten to inform the government that there is no alternative to large scale farming which Fulani herdsmen have destroyed by waging a war against farmers. Subsistence farming through the backyards, as good as it is, cannot serve the purpose of assuring any people of food security. Farmlands in the South West must be made very safe.

“We state emphatically that the situation whereby a basket of tomatoes is sold for #4000 in the North while the same is sold in Yorubaland for #150,000 is callous, ruthless and unacceptable to us.

We also call for assistance to use cheaper rail transport among others to assist our market men and women. Other regions do this, why not here in Yorubaland?

“Secondly, governments must incentivise farmers whose investments have been destroyed during the war of attrition waged against them by Fulani terrorists. Without government’s financial assistance, there is no way most farmers will be able to go back to farming, even if security of their lives and new investments are assured”, the statement concluded.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024