Connect with us

Metro

Gunmen storm mosque, kill worshippers, abduct several villagers in Katsina

Published

on

Armed assailants unleashed terror across Katsina State on Wednesday night and Thursday morning, attacking a mosque, homes, and leaving a trail of death and abductions in their wake.

The most devastating incident occurred during Ishai prayer in Yargoje village, Kankara Local Government Area.

DAILY POST gathered that the gunmen stormed the mosque, spraying bullets at worshippers.

“They just walked in and started shooting,” recounted a witness who narrowly escaped the attack.

Advertisement

“Two people were killed right there, and another one was shot as he tried to run away. It was chaotic.

“The attack claimed the lives of three individuals and left four others injured. The injured are receiving treatment at a Kankara hospital. The gunmen also abducted a man and two women from the village.

“One of the victims, a man, tried to fight back, but they overpowered him and killed him,” the source lamented, adding that “they took the two women with them, and we don’t know where they are.”

Around 2:30 am on Thursday, the gunmen targeted the home of Sani Maikifi, a vigilante member in Ungwar Tudun Boka, Kankara.

Advertisement

However, Maikifi managed to escape through the backyard, but his family wasn’t as fortunate.

A source familiar with the incident claimed the attackers had been tracking Maikifi for some time.

“They’ve been after him for a while now,” the source told our correspondent.

“They came looking for him, but he managed to get away. So, they took his wife and son instead,” he revealed.

Advertisement

Adding to the night of terror, armed men also invaded Dangani village in Musawa LGA around 11:30 pm on Wednesday.

They fired gunshots, causing panic and chaos before abducting an unknown number of residents.

“They came shooting sporadically,” reported a resident who witnessed the attack.

“We heard they were after a rich man from the south who was here visiting a bereaved family member. They took many people with them,” he added.

Advertisement

The police are yet to issue a statement on the attacks.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Metro

Video: Showing love and concern at appropriate time of need

Published

on

By

passengers

A video clip has emerged online showing how passengers appreciated a driver who was in dire need of help.

Naijablitznews reports the clip was too emotional to ignore and the background clearly depicts it was captured in a Western clime.

Watch video below:

 

Continue Reading

Metro

Soldiers arrest terrorists, reunite lost child with family in Taraba

Published

on

By

Troops of 6 Brigade Nigerian Army and Sector 3 Operation Whirl Stroke have arrested two notorious terrorists after a fierce shootout at Geshi Village in Damisa Ward of Donga Local Government Area, Taraba State.

The Acting Assistant Director of the 6 Brigade Army Public Relations, Lieutenant Oni Olubodunde, disclosed this in a statement on Sunday.

Olubodunde stated that the operation, which took place on July 11, also led to the recovery of two motorcycles used by the criminals.

The statement partly read, “The operation, conducted by the troops deployed in Akate in Donga Local Government Area, occurred following intelligence reports that revealed an attack in Geshi Village by armed terrorists.

“Acting on this information, troops swiftly mobilised to the area and engaged the armed men in a fierce exchange of gun battle, ultimately overpowering the terrorists with superior fire power and subdued them forcing the criminals to flee in disarray into the bush with gun shot wounds.”

Two wounded terrorists were said to have been apprehended while trying to escape on motorcycles, which were also seized.

The statement added that the arrested suspects are undergoing interrogation.

In another development, troops of Headquarters 6 Brigade while on routine patrol within the Jalingo metropolis, were reported to have found a nine-year-old pupil identified as Dorothy Kwatsumen wandering around in her school uniform at Gongomaliki area in Yorro LGA of Taraba State.

The statement disclosed that initial attempts to locate her school and family were unsuccessful, hence, she was taken to the Brigade headquarters for custody to ensure her parents were located.

The statement added, “Eventually, she was later discovered to be a pupil of Glory Children Academy.

“Troops proceeded to the school location and met the headteacher who informed troops that they had been searching for about 24 hours and have reported the case to the Jalingo Police Division. The pupil was later reunited with her parents.”

Continue Reading

Metro

FG Arraigns Eight Chinese Nationals, One Nigerian Over Illegal Mining

Published

on

By

The Federal Government’s efforts to combat illegal mining has received a significant boost with the arraignment of several Chinese nationals for illegal mining activities in Lokpaukwu community, Umuchieze, within Umunneochi Local Government Area of Abia State.

The suspects, including eight Chinese nationals and one Nigerian, were recently apprehended by the Mining Marshals, an elite security outfit crafted from the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC). The Marshals are tasked with ridding the mining sector of illegal operators.

This was disclosed by the Special Assistant on Media to the Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Segun Tomori, in a statement on Friday.

He said that the Mining Marshals, codenamed “Operation Hayakin Kogo,” is the brainchild of the Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Dele Alake, adding that the initiative is a pivotal component of Alake’s 7-point agenda aimed at sanitizing the mining environment.

“The trial of the suspects began yesterday before Justice J.K Omotosho of the Federal High Court, Abuja. The prosecution filed a 3-count charge, bordering on mining without lawful authority, obstruction of lawful mining operations amongst others.

“The defendants include SHEN YONGCHAN, MO BAIXIAN, XIAO BIN, HUANG XU FA, MA BINGLI, YANG JIAN, LI PEIYIN, QUE WENYONG, HIYK EDWARD DESMOND, and WANDA COMPANY LIMITED.

“Upon hearing the pleas and arguments from both sides, the defendants were remanded at Kuje Correctional Centre until the adjourned date for the continuation of the trial.

“The Mining Marshals, led by ACC John Onoja, comprise a 2,570-strong force dedicated to eliminating the nefarious activities of criminal syndicates in mining areas across the country.

“The Minister is committed to strengthening the operations of the Mining Marshals through the infusion of technology and more equipment to ultimately ensure that the nation reaps maximum benefits from its God-given mineral resources,” the statement read.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News