Connect with us

Sports

2025 AFCON To Be Played In July-August – CAF Official

Published

on

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has reached an agreement in principle for the 2025 Cup of Nations to be played in July and August next year in Morocco, a CAF official has told AFP.

Earlier this month CAF president Patrice Motsepe refused to confirm the dates of the next Africa Cup of Nations, with organisers left with little time to stage a qualifying competition were it to be held in January and February.

However, playing it in June and July next year would mean a clash with FIFA’s expanded Club World Cup which is due to take place in North America.

On Monday a member of the competitions committee told AFP, speaking on condition of anonymity, that there was “an agreement in principle between CAF and the Moroccan Football Federation for the AFCON to be held during the summer, more precisely in July and August” 2025.

Advertisement

“This agreement was found with the support of FIFA after talks that began several months ago and which intensified during the last edition which finished this month in Ivory Coast,” the source added.

“The dates currently proposed are July 20-August 16 or 17, 2025.”

The last two Africa Cup of Nations were both pushed back from the original dates. The 2021 tournament, hosted by Cameroon, was played in January and February of 2022. The most recent edition had initially been planned for June and July last year but was rescheduled over weather concerns.

Qualifying for the 2025 AFCON has yet to start. A preliminary round is due to be played next month.

Advertisement

The 2027 Cup of Nations will be jointly hosted by Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Sports

Copa America 2024: Messi becomes player with most trophies in football history

Published

on

By

Lionel Messi, the captain of Argentina, is now the player in football history with the most trophies.

Messi participated for sixty minutes as his nation defeated Colombia 1-0 in the Copa America 2024 championship game.

The 37-year-old has already won 45 pieces of cutlery throughout his career.

Messi surpasses the initial record of 44 set by former Barcelona colleague Dani Alves.

Messi won six trophies with Argentina, including the Copa America 2021 and Copa America 2024, and 35 club championships during his time at Barcelona.

Advertisement

In addition to winning eight Ballon d’Or awards, the 2008 Beijing Olympics gold medallist.

Messi added three titles to his collection after joining PSG in 2021: the Trophee des Champions (2022), the Ligue 1 (2021–22), and the 2022–23 championship.

Along with Argentina, he also won the 2022 FIFA World Cup and the 2023 Leagues Cup cup with Inter Miami.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Mbah rewards Rangers with N50m for winning NPFL

Published

on

By

Governor of Enugu State, Dr. Peter Mbah, has announced a cash reward of N50 million to Rangers International Football Club of Enugu, winners of the 2023/2024 Nigeria Professional Football League, NPFL.

The governor announced this when he treated the Nigerian champions to a state banquet at the Government House, Enugu, during the weekend, thanking them for etching Enugu State on the African and global map.

“We are indeed very proud of you.  I cannot tell you enough what this NPFL title that you have brought right here before us represents and means to us.

“Rangers International transcends generations; it is a unifying factor for us. It is not just about winning a trophy or about making us proud. It is putting Enugu State in the hearts and minds of the people of this country and beyond.

Advertisement

“You have made us proud and we will in turn also make you happy. We are going to provide the sum of N50 million to you in addition to other non-cash rewards that will implant you in our state and immortalise you,” he stated.

He further said: “I commend the General Manager, who has guided this team with a deep sense of purpose and also fuelled your optimism, reinforcing the ‘Never Say Die’ spirit that you are all known for. I thank most sincerely the coach, Fidelis Ilechukwu, who through his professional ethics and consistency, has continued to do us proud.

“The captain and all the players, you are a true embodiment of the ‘Never-Say-Die’ spirit. The fans are not left out. I also commend the commissioner, who has shown deep commitment to the success of Rangers through his tireless efforts and sacrifice.

“However, recall that I had always said to you that success abhors complacency. We still have quite a huge space in our trophy cabinet.”

Advertisement

So, we still need more. I am sure we are all getting ready for the CAF Champions League and other tournaments.

“Let me assure you that we will never get tired of supporting you.  If anything, we are going to double down and reinforce our support.”

The commissioner for Youth and Sport Development, Barr. Lloyd Ekweremadu, who hailed Rangers for the successful title chase, thanked the governor for his personal and official support that transformed the club.

Also, the general manager and CEO of Rangers International, Amobi Ezeaku, who went down memory lane, appreciated Governor Mbah for taking Rangers as his special pet project.

Advertisement

“For two years, the club played away from home, but in a twinkle of an eye, the club came back to the Cathedral. That is why 28th  December 2023 when we returned to the Cathedral will forever be engraved in the hearts of not just Ndigbo, but all true lovers of Rangers and football.

“Today, we thank you for easing the stress of our trips, for approving for corporate sponsors to get on board, for coming to watch our matches, and for braving the turbulence of the weather on that day to fly to Jos to witness the lifting of this trophy.

“It is also under you that the Rangers jersey is proudly instituted at the FIFA museum in Zürich, Switzerland. It is under you that the Rangers jersey is now known at the headquarters of African Football in the 6th  of October City, Giza, Egypt. And as we speak, Rangers have been nominated in many categories by the league bloggers award,” Ezeaku said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Osimhen need right attitude to play for Napoli, says Conte

Published

on

By

It’s all coming home to roost for Victor Osimhen as Napoli’s new coach Antonio Conte has said that the Nigeria International striker must have the right attitude to remain at the Serie A side.

The 25-year-old Osimhen has been subject of intense transfer speculation over the last few months with potential links to some of the biggest  clubs in Europe including Chelsea, PSG amongst others.

But interest in the player has since waned after Napoli pegged his transfer fee to a mind-blowing €120 million Euros even more so after the player’s  petulant rant against former Super Eagles coach Finidi George.

Speaking specifically about Osimhen at the team’s pre-season training camp in Dimaro on Saturday, Conte reportedly described the Nigerian as  ‘ a top player’,  adding he must continue to work hard with the right attitude to continue his career at Napoli.

Advertisement

Conte added: “We are talking about Victor as a professional, an excellent, top player.

“I spoke to him and he knows that absolutely nothing has changed. He belongs to Napoli and he knows that those who belong to Napoli have to work hard and have the right attitude, even if there is this sort of agreement, that we still don’t know how it will end.

“He’s here with a smile, and what counts at the moment is the training this afternoon and the attitude with me and my colleagues.”

Conte insisted there were no major developments over a potential transfer for Osimhen, adding  that there is a sort of ‘agreement’ linked to the 25-year-old’s possible departure.

Advertisement

Though the Nigeria international has been widely tipped for a move away from the Stadio Maradona this summer, Napoli have not yet received any sort of formal proposal from any club.

Napoli would, of course, need to sell Osimhen first if they are to acquire some of their other attacking targets this summer, such as Chelsea’s Romelu Lukaku.

Explaining the situation surrounding Napoli’s transfer window, Conte said: “After my signature, the most difficult thing was to realign the whole situation and put Napoli back in the centre of all the important business.

“The situation now allows us to stay one step ahead thanks to everyone here, the club and thanks to the players who have understood. I expressed myself very clearly and with a vision that is hard to go against. Now the club is back in the spotlight.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News