Connect with us

Foreign

Parents exhume corpse of daughter after they received a call to her cellphone from someone claiming ‘she was alive’

Published

on

A Nicaraguan woman had to be buried for the second time after her family exhumed her body because they thought she was still alive.

María López, 24, died on February 11 at New Dawn Hospital in the Caribbean coast town of Waspam and was buried February 12, according to local outlet SNC.

On February 15, her parents had her coffin dug out from her burial site at a cemetery after someone called their daughter’s cellphone claiming López ‘was still alive.’

López’s body was removed from the coffin and taken to the family residence, where she was bathed with salt, vinegar, and lemons, and then placed on a bed as family and friends held a vigil.

A New Dawn Hospital doctor visited the home after some family members raised the idea that López was pregnant, but the physician tested her and confirmed that she was dead.

Waspam’s city risk management director Kenny Mayorga said the family was not convinced by the doctor and opted for her to ‘be examined by a traditional doctor and rule out that she is dead, because they claim that the girl (had) tears and sweat to her forehead.’

The family held prayer services for five days, in hopes that López would somehow resuscitate.

Her parents and close family members then took López’s body to a fasting and prayer center for a ceremony as it started to show signs of decomposition. She was later laid to rest for a second time on Monday.

The incident comes just eight months after 76-year-old woman shocked her family by banging on her coffin during her wake in Ecuador.

Bella Montoya reportedly woke up and started knocking after spending five hours inside her coffin at a funeral parlor in the municipality of Babahoyo on June 9, 2023.

Montoya later died from a stroke on June 16 at Martín Icaza Hospital after spending a week in intensive care.

Continue Reading

Foreign

Iran threatens to attack Israel with weapons it has ‘not used before’

Published

on

Iran is reportedly getting a terrifying arsenal from Russia, including anti-aircraft launchers and fighter jets and is threatening to fire weapons it has never before used in “a severe, extensive and painful response” to the “slightest action” by Israel.

Abolfazl Amouei, a spokesperson for the Iranian Parliament’s National Security Committee, told a local news station Monday that the Islamic Republic “will confront any Israeli aggression and respond to it.”

“We are ready to use weapons that we have not used before,” the official told Al-Mayadeen News, according to the Economic Times.

“We have plans for all scenarios, and we call on the zionists to act rationally.”

Also, Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi warned Israel that if it takes even the “slightest action” it will face “a severe, extensive and painful response.”

“The blind support of some Western countries to the Zionist regime is the cause of tension in the region,” he claimed, according to the Daily Express.

“We will respond in a massive, broad and painful manner to the slightest action targeting Iranian interests.”

The threats come after years of the international community worrying about Iran’s nuclear capabilities.

The Islamic Republic has several nuclear research sites, two uranium mines, a research reactor and three uranium enrichment plants.

In November 2023, the International Atomic Energy Agency reported that Iran’s uranium stockpile was more than 20 times larger than the limit agreed upon under the Obama-era Iran Nuclear Deal.

By December, the United Nations agency warned that Iran had enriched uranium to up to 60% purity — which is close to weapons-grade, and the agency added that Iran had enough enriched uranium to build three atomic bombs.

The National Union for Democracy in Iran also wrote in a report earlier this month that its stockpile of enriched uranium, coupled with its centrifuge capacity, are enough to make seven nuclear weapons in just one month.

Iran is also getting weapons from Russia, including anti-aircraft launchers and drones.

Russia has vowed to support Iran with air defense technology and advanced fighter jets, as well as technical support for its spy satellites.

Further agreements between the two countries may also include efforts to rebuild Iran’s Air Force — which is currently made up of rebuilt Soviet and US jets from before 1979 — as well as efforts to increase Iran’s supply of spy satellites and help it build more rockets, according to the outlet.

Officials in Tehran are also pushing for Russia’s anti-aircraft launchers which military analysts say are capable of destroying stealth fighter jets operated by the US and Israel.

Iran agreed in 2022 to supply thousands of drones and missiles to Moscow to support its war efforts, and Russia agreed late last year to buy about $2 billion worth of military equipment — including anti-drone defense systems — from Iran.

Continue Reading

Foreign

Prince Harry Loses Appeal To Overturn Ruling Downgrading His Security

Published

on

Prince Harry’s bid to appeal the downgrading of his personal security while visiting Britain has been denied by a court ruling on Monday. The youngest son of King Charles III took legal action after the British government informed him in 2020 that he would no longer receive the same level of publicly-funded protection during his UK visits.

In February, the High Court ruled that the UK government’s decision was lawful. High Court judge Peter Lane emphasized the legality of the “bespoke process” devised for Prince Harry by a committee under the jurisdiction of the interior ministry, stating it was “legally sound.”

Despite previous intentions to seek justice through the Court of Appeal, a judicial spokesperson announced on Monday that Prince Harry had lost his initial bid to appeal the decision.

The prince, also known as the Duke of Sussex, notably relocated to North America with his wife Meghan in 2020, eventually settling in California, and is no longer classified as a working royal.

Prince Harry had expressed security concerns preventing his return visits to Britain during a hearing at London’s High Court in December. He emphasized the importance of keeping his family safe, stating, “The UK is my home. The UK is central to the heritage of my children.”

While Prince Harry’s legal team argued that he was being treated unfairly and that proper risk analysis was not conducted, the government’s lawyers rejected claims of singling him out and emphasized the importance of public interest in decisions regarding taxpayer-funded protection.

The legal battle over Prince Harry’s personal security adds to the various lawsuits he has pursued in Britain in recent years, primarily concerning alleged phone hacking by newspapers. Earlier this month, he settled a longstanding legal claim against Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN) and is currently pursuing legal action against other media outlets.

The denial of Prince Harry’s appeal underscores the ongoing complexities surrounding his public life and the legal battles he continues to navigate.

Continue Reading

Foreign

UN chief condemns Iran’s attack on Israel

Published

on

By Francesca Hangeior

The United N lations Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, has condemned the “large-scale attack” launched in Israel by Iran.

Guterres, in a statement, urged maximum restraint by all parties and warned that neither the region nor the world could afford another war.

According to the latest reports, Iran launched hundreds of drones and missiles from its territory toward Israel, with most intercepted on Saturday.

Several missiles reportedly struck within Israeli territory, one of which damaged an Israeli military facility in the south of the country.

“I call for an immediate cessation of these hostilities,” he urged.

The UN chief said that he was deeply alarmed about the very real danger of a devastating region-wide escalation.

“I urge all parties to exercise maximum restraint to avoid any action that could lead to major military confrontations on multiple fronts in the Middle East.

“I have repeatedly stressed that neither the region nor the world can afford another war,’ he said.
Tensions have been ratcheting up in the region since Hamas’ deadly October 7 terror attack and mass hostage taking and Israel’s subsequent full-scale assault on the Gaza Strip, which has left thousands dead and pushed the population to the brink of starvation.

For his part, the President of the UN General Assembly, Dennis Francis, also expressed deep concern about the unfolding situation in the Middle East, “involving the launch by Iran of drones and missiles against Israel.”

In a separate statement, Francis noted that Iran had explained its action “in the context of article 51 of the UN Charter, following the recent Israeli attack on the Iranian Embassy in Damascus.

“The Iranian response compounds the already tense and delicate peace and security situation in the Middle East,” the Assembly President said.
He strongly called upon all parties to exercise the utmost restraint to avoid further escalation of tension in the region.

“This is a moment that calls for wise and prudent judgement, in which the risks and extended risks are very carefully considered.

“I expect that the Iranian authorities will honour their word that by their action today, the matter can be deemed concluded.”

Francis stressed that dialogue and diplomacy are the only way to resolve differences.

Francis warned: “A vicious cycle of attack and counterattack will lead to nowhere, but inevitably, to more death, suffering and misery.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024