Connect with us

Metro

Vigilante member arrested over lover’s death in Imo

Published

on

 

By Francesca Hangeior

The Imo State Police Command has arrested one Chinenye Nwaneri, for allegedly killing his lover, Chienyenwa Nnodua,

Parading the suspect at the command’s headquarters in Owerri, the state capital on Tuesday, the police spokesperson, Henry Okoye, disclosed that the deceased’s lifeless body was recovered from a gutter at Madumere Street, Christ Road, Owerri, by policemen following a distress call.

He disclosed that the investigation revealed that the deceased was with her lover, Nwaneri, on the same night she was killed, adding that the suspect allegedly had a hand in the death.

The state police spokesperson disclosed that the deceased’s body had been sent to a forensic pathologist to ascertain the cause of death.

He said that the suspect would be charged after the investigation.

Okoye said, “Following a distress call received from Bishop Silas Anoruo on January 7, 2024, that the lifeless body of a young lady was seen inside a gutter in front of his uncompleted building at Madumere Street, Christ Road, Owerri, operatives of Owerri Urban Divisional Headquarters mobilised to the scene, recovered the corpse and deposited same for autopsy.

“Preliminary investigation unveiled the identity of the deceased as Chienyenwa Nnodua and further revealed that she was seen last with her alleged lover Chinenye Nwaneri ‘m’, of No. 43, Christ Church Road, Owerri, trekking down to his house very late in the night on 5/01/2024.

“This raised suspicion which prompted the determined operatives to invite Chinenye Nwaneri, a member of the Umuodu vigilante group for questioning.

“On interrogation, Chinenye Nwaneri initially denied knowing the deceased but later confessed after he was transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department that he was with the deceased the night before she was found dead in a gutter but denied that she was his lover.”

The spokesperson added that the sister of the deceased noted that Nwaneri was her “late sister’s boyfriend for four years,” adding that the deceased “informed her on 5/02/2024 that she was going to spend the night in the suspect’s house.”

Also, a vigilante member who was on night duty with Nwaneri added that “he saw him at midnight” with the deceased while he (the vigilante member) was on “foot patrol.”

Okoye said, “Competent witnesses including the sister of the deceased and a vigilante member who was on night guard duty with him volunteered statements to the police. The sister of the deceased stated that the suspect was her late sister’s boyfriend for four years, narrating further that her sister informed her on 5/02/2024 that she was going to spend a night in the suspect’s house.

“The vigilante who was on night duty with the suspect stated that he saw him at midnight with the deceased along Christ Church Road while on foot patrol.

“Investigation is still ongoing, the body of the deceased has been sent to a forensic pathologist to ascertain the cause of death. The case will be charged to court pending the outcome of the investigation.”

n another development, policemen have nabbed one Onwuhara Nwachuku for allegedly stabbing a 57-year-old, Theophilus Ukwe, to death.

Okoye revealed that the Nwachuku, 27, who had confessed to the crime, killed the victim because the deceased approached him with a cutlass on his farm while he was harvesting his palm fruit.

Okoye said, “In another different development, operatives of Imo State Police Command arrested one Onwuhara Nwachukwu, ‘m’, 27 yrs for stabbing to death one Theophilus Ukwe ‘m’ 57yrs over a minor dispute.

“On interrogation, the suspect confessed to the crime, stating that he gave the deceased a severe machete cut on his body which resulted in his death because the deceased approached him with a cutlass on his farm while he was harvesting his palm fruit. The suspect will certainly have his day in court.

“The Commissioner of Police, Imo State Command, CP Aboki Danjuma, assures the general public that the command will continue to work tirelessly in providing maximum safety and security for all and sundry in the state.”

Continue Reading

Metro

“We can no longer feed, Our shops are under siege” – Aba Traders protest Military siege, call on Gov Otti to intervene

Published

on

Following the May 30th killing of five soldiers by unknown gunmen, which has led to the military siege in Aba, commercial city of Abia State, Traders from Ngwa Road market Aba, Tuesday, stormed Abia Government House Umuahia, in protest.

The traders who stormed the Abia government house Umuahia, to seek the intervention of Gov. Alex Otti for the reopening of their shops, carried placards with various inscriptions.

Some of the inscriptions read:” We are tired of staying at home”; “We have no access to our shops any more”,; “Our shops are under siege”.

Speaking to the press, President of the Traders’ Association, Chinedu Oforndu who spoke on behalf of the traders, lamented that they had not been able to open their shops since the incident.

According to him, the situation had been taking a toll on them and their families as they now find it difficult to feed.

”Our shops are under siege by the military since May 30. We don’t have access to our shops again. Hunger is dealing with us. Governor please come to our rescue”, he pleaded.

In his response, the Secretary of the traders, Mr Ikenna Ohanaba, said that the traders had been frustrated over the situation, and needed Government’s help.

Continue Reading

Metro

Abducted Kaduna Catholic priest regains freedom

Published

on

The kidnapped Kaduna Catholic Priest, Rev. Fr. Gabriel Ukeh, of St Thomas Parish, Zaman Dabo in Zango Kataf Local Government Area of Kaduna State has been released barely 24 hours after his abduction.

Director of Communications, Rev. Fr. Okafor Tochukwu, disclosed this on Monday night in a statement  in Kaduna.

Ukeh was abducted in the early hours of Sunday at the Parish Rectory.

“With gratitude to God, we announce the safe release of our brother and priest, Rev Fr Gabriel Ukeh, who was abducted from the Rectory of St Thomas Parish, Zaman Dabo, Zango Kataf Local Government Area of Kaduna State, where he shepherds on Sunday 9th June 2024.

” Fr Gabriel was happily welcomed home to his parish community at about 9pm, Monday, 10th June 2024.

“We acknowledge and appreciate the kind and prayerful support of all and sundry who worked round the clock to make this a reality.” Rev. Fr. Okafor stated.

Continue Reading

Metro

Two soldiers wounded, hospitalised as bandits attack Niger military base

Published

on

Bandits operating in Tegina, Rafi Local Government Area of Niger State, have shot and wounded two soldiers at a military base.

Rafi is one of the troubled LGAs in Niger State, suffering incessant attacks from bandits, who prevent farmers from going to their farms.

The attack on the military base was said to have occurred in the early hours of Monday.

It was learnt that one bandit was killed while two soldiers sustained gunshot injuries in the exchange of gunfire.

The Chairman of the Rafi Local Government Area, Ayuba Katako, who confirmed the incident, said, “It happened in my domain. The two soldiers have been taken to the IBB Specialist Hospital where they are responding to treatment.

“The military, police and vigilantes are trying their best to ensure peace and security of lives and property in the state and they deserve to be commended.”

Katako decried the continued attacks on the security operatives and called for patience, support and prayers to overcome the menace of insecurity bedeviling the state and Nigeria at large.

The Niger State military cantonment in Minna could not be reached for comments.

Attempt to speak to the Niger police spokesman, Wasiu Abiodun, was also not successful as calls placed to his mobile line did not connect.

Meanwhile, troops of Operation Whirl Punch and Operation Forest Sanity II continued their patrol of the Rijana general area of the Kachia Local Government Area of Kaduna State on Monday, as they killed two bandits during a clearance operation.

The development came less than 24 hours after the troops encountered some bandits at the Kachia-Kajuru general area, killing five and leaving many with gunshot wounds.

The Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, in a statement on Monday disclosed that troops on clearance operation engaged some bandits in a gun duel in the Rijana area and killed two, while scores escaped with gunshot wounds.

The troops, according to him, recovered three AK-47 rifles, two motorcycles, two AK-47 magazines, 19 rounds of 7.62mm ammunition, two mobile phones and two MP3 players.

He said, “According to operational feedback to the Kaduna State Government, the troops began their advance, clearing several locations, including Amale, Gidan Jatau, Gidan Danfulani and Gidan Duna with no resistance.

“As the forces progressed to Gidan Dutse, the troops made contact with bandits and, in the ensuing firefight, two of the criminals were neutralised while several escaped with gunshot wounds.

“The troops searched the area and recovered three AK-47 rifles, two motorcycles and two AK-47 magazines, 19 rounds of 7.62mm ammunition, two mobile phones and two MP3 players.

“The Kaduna State Governor, Senator Uba Sani, expressed satisfaction at the report and congratulated the troops for another sterling outing. The governor praised the leadership of the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.Gen. T.A. Lagbaja, and the unflinching morale of the troops, in the ongoing operations.”

The commissioner enjoined the citizens to continue “to utilise the 24-hour Security Operations Room by volunteering actionable intelligence on the movement of bandits and their collaborators.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024