Connect with us

Metro

NAPTIP Arrests Woman For Selling Baby N2m In Ekiti

Published

on

Operatives of the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) in Ekiti State has arrested two women for allegedly trading a baby for N2 million.

The suspects were arrested by NAPTIP at Ilupeju Ekiti, in Oye local government area of the state.

Oladimeji Samson, the Head of the NAPTIP Ekiti liaison office, informed journalists in Ado Ekiti that the operation was conducted by a team led by Mr. Emuze John from NAPTIP headquarters, along with officers of the agency in Ekiti State.

The suspect identified as Ifeoma Ejide was alleged to have sold a female baby to one Mrs Funmilayo Ibitoye for N2 million.

Advertisement

Oladimeji said, “My colleagues came from Abuja for a case of a woman that had a baby factory at Owo, Ondo State, and the woman was arrested in Owo and led them to the place where she sold the baby.

“The buyer whose husband is based in the United States bought the baby at the rate of N2 million but only paid part of the agreed amount. The woman who sold the baby has confessed to operating a baby factory.

“This issue is rampant and common here. Most of these people (baby buyers) use herbs and they are told not to visit any hospital so that they can’t be tracked. We asked her how long she had been breastfeeding the child, and said there was no milk the first time she tried to breastfeed the baby. This case is connected to several other cases.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Metro

1,664 displaced as flood ravages Sokoto communities

Published

on

By

No fewer than 1,664 persons have been displaced as flood sacked four communities in the Gada Local Government Area of Sokoto State.

A statement signed and made available to newsmen in the state on Sunday by the Information Officer, Sokoto Emergency Management Agency, Abdullahi Ghani, said the flood was due to a recent downpour in the area.

He said the flood, apart from the high number of displaced persons, also destroyed about 779 hectares of farmland in the process.

Some of the affected communities ravaged by the flood included Dantudu, Balakozo, Gidan Tudu and Tsitse towns, among others.

Advertisement

According to the report compiled at Dan Tudu village, 62 houses and 71 households were affected.

At Balakozo Village (Tsitse ward), 33 houses and 48 households were affected, while a total of 38 houses and 52 households were affected at Gidan Tudu Village.

At Tsitse town, a total of 68 houses and 89 households were affected.

“The recent downpour of 17th July 2024 left many residents of Gada Local Government Area of Sokoto State homeless and displaced.

Advertisement

“It also destroyed several numbers of hectares of farmlands and destroyed a high number of sheep and goats.

“This was discovered during an assessment conducted on Saturday at Gada by NEMA and SEMA officials in the state.

“The total number of people affected by the flood incidence at Dan Tudu, Balakozo, Gidan Tudu and Tsitse town is 1,664,” the report stated.

It added that the assessment team found that some numbers of livestock, including sheep and goats, were reportedly missing due to the downpour.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, NEMA’s Director General, Mrs Zubaida Umar, has said proper waste disposal and flood preparedness are crucial for community well-being and environmental health.

The NEMA DG, represented by the agency’s Head of Operations, Ekiti and Ondo states, Mr Kofoworola Sholeye, said improper waste disposal could trigger flood disasters and had adverse health consequences leading to significant damage to property and loss of lives.

Umar spoke in Ado Ekiti on Friday, during a one-day awareness campaign and roadshow organised by the NEMA, in collaboration with the Ekiti State Emergency Management Agency, government agencies and relevant stakeholders.

“This initiative is to sensitise and create awareness among Ekiti people about the expected heavy rainfalls predicted by the Seasonal Climate Predictions, Nigerian Meteorological Agency and the Annual Flood Outlook, which listed Ekiti among the states that would likely experience heavy rainfall and potential flooding this year,” Umar said.

Advertisement

The NEMA boss said flooding and the attendant losses could be mitigated “if all stakeholders stand up to the challenges and come up with the measures that would help to enlighten the people of Ekiti State on proper waste management, as many have cultivated the habit of indiscriminate dumping of refuse over the years.

“It is necessary to always promote and carry out activities that would safeguard our environment by ensuring the rapid enlightenment of the general public on the need to desist from dumping refuse indiscriminately.”

Umar lauded the commitment of Ekiti SEMA and other disaster management agencies in the state as she assured of NEMA’s willingness to sustain the synergy with the state government to explore long-term and more sustainable solutions to both natural and human-induced disasters.

The Permanent Secretary, Office of the Deputy Governor, Mr Abayomi Opeyemi, urged Ekiti residents to adhere to the state environmental laws by avoiding indiscriminate dumping of waste and erecting structures on river banks and flood plains

Advertisement

Also, the General Manager of SEMA, Mr Oludare Asaolu, appreciated NEMA for the initiatives and collaborative efforts to avert flooding and the attendant destruction of lives and properties in the state.

Asaolu lauded Governor Biodun Oyebanji for approving funds for the dredging of waterways in high-risk zones across the state, to prevent flooding and its attendant risks to lives and properties even before the NiMET weather forecasts.

The Director General of Ekiti State Waste Management Board, Mr Olasunkami Onipede, urged residents to properly dispose of their waste at all times, saying the state government had placed Dino bins at strategic locations in the state capital for easy disposal and collection of waste.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Gunmen kill two passengers, abduct Corps member, others in Ondo

Published

on

By

Suspected kidnappers have killed two passengers and abducted five others, including a National Youth Service Corps, NYSC, member in Ondo State.

Two other passengers also escaped with various degrees of gunshot injuries.

It was gathered that remains of the driver and a female passenger occupying the front seat, who were killed in the attack, have been deposited at the morgue of Adelabu Hospital in Ifon.

The incident happened along the Ifon/Owo Expressway in Ose Local Government Area of Ondo on Friday night.

Advertisement

The kidnappers, who numbered about fifteen, were armed with AK-47 rifles and ambushed the Sienna bus at 11:00 pm.

Confirming the incident, SP Fumilayo Odunlami- Omisanyan, the State Police spokesperson, said the details were still sketchy.

Odunlami, however added: “Our men are fully on the ground, combing the forest to ensure that the victims are rescued.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Pre -Wedding photos of Mercy Alalibo, who died a day to his wedding

Published

on

By

Mercy Alalibo a Port Harcourt man died a day to his wedding. His traditional wedding was supposed to hold the next day. Just 3 days ago he celebrated his mom and his own birthday.

See photos below:

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News