Connect with us

Sports

Details Of How Man City Beat Man Utd 3-1 To Close In On Liverpool

Published

on

Phil Foden scored twice as Man City came from behind to beat Man United 3-1 on Sunday and close to within one point of Premier League leaders Liverpool.

Erling Haaland also struck in stoppage time to leave the title race perfectly poised ahead of City’s trip to Liverpool next weekend.

Marcus Rashford’s wonder strike had fired United into a shock lead at the Etihad.

Haaland was then guilty of a miss that will go down in Premier League folklore when he fired over with an open goal just before half-time.

Advertisement

Foden ensured City did not slip up in the title race as he blasted into the top corner to level and produced a composed finish 10 minutes from time.

Haaland then rolled in his sixth goal in four Premier League derbies against United to atone for his earlier miss.

An 11th league defeat of the season for United leaves Erik ten Hag’s men 11 points adrift of the top four with 11 games remaining.

The former Ajax boss was furious that City’s equaliser was allowed to stand as he claimed Rashford had been fouled at the other end seconds earlier.

Advertisement

But United could have few complaints after being thoroughly outplayed by their rivals for almost the entire match.

Rashford rounded on his critics this week as he hit back at questions of his commitment.

The England international has been a pale imitation of the forward who scored 30 goals last season for most of this campaign but showed a glimpse of the quality he is capable of to open the scoring on eight minutes.

City pleaded in vain for an offside flag against Bruno Fernandes and he layed the ball back for Rashford to smash in a stunning long-range effort off the underside of the bar.

Advertisement

Pep Guardiola’s men dominated from that moment on but were kept at bay for nearly an hour by wayward finishing and some fine goalkeeping by Andre Onana.

Twice the Cameroonian foiled Foden when clean through, while Rodri was also denied by a smart stop low to his left.

At the other end, Rashford should have doubled United’s lead before the break.

A slip from Ruben Dias put Rashford clean through, but a poor touch allowed Kyle Walker to race back and clear.

Advertisement

United’s lead remained intact until half-time but only thanks to a moment that will be replayed for years to come.

City finally cut the visitors’ mass ranks of defence to shreds as Rodri’s cross was headed back across goal by Foden, inviting the finishing touch by Haaland.

However, he incredibly turned the ball over with the goal gaping from point-blank range.

The rearguard action from the Red Devils was finally undone as Foden produced a strike to match Rashford’s in the first half.

Advertisement

Ten Hag was furious that a foul had not been awarded to Rashford at the other end, but he appeared to go to the ground too easily under contact from Walker.

Rodri picked out Foden, who cut inside and arrowed a blistering shot into the top corner.

A slick one-two between Foden and Julian Alvarez opened up the United defence for the decisive goal as the England international fired in his 18th of the season.

Haaland’s redemption rounded off a fine afternoon for the English champions.

Advertisement

Rodri dispossessed Sofyan Amrabat and teed up the Norwegian to curl beyond Onana.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Sports

Outrage after French MP says Israelis not welcome at Olympics

Published

on

By

A French hard-left MP sparked a political row Sunday by saying Israeli athletes were not welcome at the Paris Olympics because of the Israel-Hamas war in Gaza, which one senior minister said had “hints of anti-Semitism”.

France Unbowed (LFI) lawmaker Thomas Portes was “putting a target on the backs of Israeli athletes”, Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin told broadcaster France 2, echoing criticisms made by a major Jewish group earlier Sunday.

Yonathan Arfi, head of the Representative Council of Jewish Institutions in France, said Israeli athletes were “already the most in danger at the Olympic Games”, referencing the 11 “murdered by Palestinian terrorists” in 1972 at the Munich Games.

In a post on X, Arfi branded Portes’s comments “irresponsible” and accused him of “legitimising Hamas”, the Palestinian militant group whose October 7 attacks on Israel sparked the Gaza war.

Advertisement

Portes had said at a rally in support of Palestinians that “the Israeli delegation is not welcome in Paris. Israeli sportspeople are not welcome at the Paris Olympic Games” and called for “mobilisation” around the event.

He later told the Parisien newspaper that “France’s diplomats should pressure the International Olympic Committee to bar the Israeli flag and anthem, as is done for Russia”.

“It’s time to end the double standard,” Portes added.

Following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, a limited number of Russian athletes will be allowed to compete in Paris as individuals and not under their country’s colours, and only after being vetted to ensure they have not expressed support for the war.

Advertisement

• Gaza war divides left –

Opposition to Israel’s campaign in Gaza was a centrepiece of LFI’s campaign ahead of European elections last month.

The territory’s Hamas-run health ministry said Sunday that almost 39,000 people had been killed in the fighting, most of them women and children.

Perceived ambiguity in LFI’s response to the October massacre broke apart an alliance of left-wing parties, which grudgingly reformed for this month’s parliamentary polls but has since struggled to find common ground despite coming first.

Advertisement

Beyond Darmanin and the Jewish group, Portes also came under attack from nominal parliamentary allies in the Socialist party and conservatives.

“Of course Israeli athletes are welcome, like all sportspeople from all over the world. Not for who they are but for what they do,” Socialist MP Jerome Guedj posted.

Some LFI lawmakers came out in support of Portes.

“The Israeli flag, stained with the blood of Gaza’s innocents, should not fly in Paris this summer,” MP Aymeric Caron wrote.

Advertisement

Israel’s football team is set to play its first Olympic match against Mali in Paris’ Parc des Prince stadium on Wednesday, two days before the opening ceremony.

Israeli President Isaac Herzog’s office said Sunday that he would attend Friday’s boat parade on the river Seine and a commemoration for the Israelis killed in Munich in 1972.

AFP.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Popular Heavyweight Star Banned From Boxing For Two Years

Published

on

By

Robert Helenius has been handed a two-year ban for failing a drug test after his fight with Anthony Joshua last year.

Finland’s Helenius according to report tested positive for the female fertility drug clomifene in a sample provided to Ukad the day after his knockout defeat by Joshua.

He has denied intentional doping and blamed Ukad’s findings on the consumption of contaminated eggs and chicken.

But Ukad said Helenius “was unable to provide any evidence that the eggs and chicken meat he had consumed in advance of the bout originated from hens that had been administered clomifene”.

Advertisement

Recall that Helenius was provisionally suspended on 18 September 2023, and with the date of his ban backdated to then, will be eligible to fight again on 18 September 2025.

‘The Nordic Nightmare’, who was knocked out in the seventh round – stepped in to face Joshua after initial opponent Dillian Whyte returned an “adverse analytical finding” in a Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (Vada) test before the fight.

Helenius also returned an adverse finding in a test administered by Vada a day before the Joshua defeat, although the result was not known until two weeks after the fight.

Clomifene can be used to boost testosterone levels in men and is banned inside and outside competition by the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada).

Advertisement

British welterweight Conor Benn failed two Vada tests for clomifene in the build-up to his fight with Chris Eubank Jr in October 2022.

Benn denies intentionally taking the drug and said it was ingested through contaminated food.

Continue Reading

Sports

Ex Barcelona, Spain defender Marc Bartra ends relationship with model girlfriend Jessica Goicoechea

Published

on

By Francesca Hangeior

Former Barcelona and Spain defender Marc Bartra and his model girlfriend Jessica Goicoechea have reportedly ended their relationship, according to Spanish journalist Abel Planelles.

According to Mirror UK, the couple, who had been together since 2001, gained attention earlier this year when Goicoechea revealed their unusual “sex deal” on a Spanish talk show.

During an appearance on “La Resistencia” in May, Goicoechea shared details of their intimate arrangement.

Advertisement

“If we don’t do it one day, you have to do it twice the day after,” she explained, with Bartra present in the audience. The pact was reportedly devised to maintain their connection during periods of separation.

Despite their attempts to keep the relationship alive, Planelles reported that the couple’s romance has now “broken”. However, he added that they remain on good terms.

He stated, “From what those around me tell me, there is no bad vibes, there is no bad relationship. In fact, on the contrary, there is a good relationship.”

The couple’s journey has been tumultuous, with previous breakups and reconciliations. They went public with their relationship in November 2022, shortly after Bartra’s divorce from journalist Melissa Jimenez, with whom he has three children.

Advertisement

Goicoechea, a successful model and influencer with 1.8 million followers, began her career at 15 and has since launched her own fashion collection and cosmetics brand.

Bartra, 33, who currently plays for Real Betis, is known for his stints at Barcelona and Borussia Dortmund, where he was involved in a traumatic incident when the team bus was hit by a bomb blast.

While their relationship has ended for now, Planelles suggested that reconciliation isn’t impossible.

“They follow each other, they get along well, but it is true that the relationship has ended. You never know if there might be a second chance or a third chance, but right now the relationship between the footballer and the influencer would be broken,” she said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News