Connect with us

News

New capital base : 26 banks to shop for N4tn

Published

on

The apex bank on Thursday announced new guidelines on its recapitalisation policy for banks in the country. In a statement signed by its acting Director of Corporate Communications, Sidi Ali, the CBN directed commercial banks with international authorisation to increase their capital base to N500bn and national banks to N200bn.

According to the acting CBN director, commercial banks with national licences must meet a N200bn threshold, while those with regional authorisation are expected to achieve a N50bn capital floor.

Similarly, non-interest banks with national and regional authorisations will need to increase their capital base to N20bn and N10bn, respectively.

The CBN’s move came two days after the Monetary Policy Committee hinted that it would change the capital base of the banks.

Advertisement

Based on the CBN circular on recapitalisation, only the share capital and premium capital of the shareholders’ fund portion of the balance sheet will be recognised.

The circular read, “For existing banks (a) The minimum capital specified above shall comprise paid-up capital and share premium only. For the avoidance of doubt, the new capital requirement shall NOT be based on shareholders’ funds. (b) Additional Tier 1 capital shall not be eligible for the purpose of meeting the new requirement. (c) All banks are required to meet the minimum capital requirement within a period of 24 months commencing from April 1, 2024, and terminating on March 31, 2026. (d) Notwithstanding the capital increase, banks are to ensure strict compliance with the minimum capital adequacy ratio requirement applicable to their licence authorisation. (e) In line with extant regulations, banks that breach the CAR requirement shall be required to inject fresh capital to regularise their position.”

For proposed banks, the CBN said their minimum capital requirement shall be paid-up capital and applicable to all new applications for banking licences submitted after April 1, 2024.

It added that for proposed banks whose applications it was processing, “it shall continue to process all pending applications for banking licences for which capital deposit had been made and/or Approval-in-Principle (AIP) had been granted. However, the promoters of such proposed banks shall make up the difference between the capital deposited with the CBN and the new capital requirement not later than March 31, 2026.”

Advertisement

But according to an analysis of the latest financial statements of 26 out of the 30 operating banks, most, if not all of the financial institutions must fashion out strategies and methods to reach the new standards.

However, bankers have voiced opposition to the central bank’s decision to omit retained earnings from the share capital calculation.

Anonymously expressing their views in chats with our correspondents, they said the decision to exclude retained earnings from share capital calculations was flawed.

According to Saturday PUNCH findings, while the 26 banks will need over N3.972tn combined, the tier 1 banks have to raise the highest amount of N2.569tn.

Advertisement

These tier 1 banks include the largest bank in Nigeria, Access Bank, whose parent company, Access Holdings, earlier on Thursday during an investor call, said that it planned to raise about $1.8bn to expand its operations over the next four years as it targets becoming one of the continent’s largest lenders.

Access Bank said that it would raise $1.5bn or the naira equivalent through the issue of shares, bonds or other instruments to fund a five-year growth plan that began last year. It also revealed plans to raise as much as N365bn ($257m) through a rights issue.

Based on the audited results of 2023, AccessCorp has N251.81bn for share capital and share premium. To meet the new CBN requirements of N500bn, it will need about N248.19bn.

Apart from Access Bank, other banks with international operating licences include Union Bank of Nigeria, Zenith Bank, which is transitioning to a holding company, United Bank for Africa, Guaranty Trust Holdings Company Plc, Fidelity Bank, FCMB Group and FBN Holdings Plc, which will need about N351.91bn, N229.26bn, N384.19bn, N361.81bn, N370.3bn, N374.71bn, and N248.66bn, respectively.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Just in: Finally, Trump imposes 14% tarriff on Nigeria oil, others

Published

on

By

The United States President Donald Trump has announced sweeping global tariffs on all imports into the country, slamming 14 percent on Nigeria.

According to 2023 data published by Observatory of Economic Complexity (OEC), Nigeria exported $6.29 billion to US.

The main exports were crude Petroleum ($4.73 billion), Petroleum gas ($920 million), and nitrogenous fertilisers ($167 million).

Over the past five years, according to OEC, Nigeria’s exports to the US have increased at an annualised rate of 1.59 percent, from $5.81 billion in 2018 to $6.29 billion in 2023.

Advertisement

Stocks had closed higher before Trump’s announcement but later buckled under the weight of the new order, disrupting business decisions and raising fears of a global trade war.

Trump said he was optimistic the numbers would improve, maintaining that the decision was critical for America’s restoration as the world’s sole superpower.
After delivering his speech, Trump signed the decision as an executive order.

The executive order imposes a “baseline” 10 percent tariff on all imports as well as individualised reciprocal tariff rates on over 60 countries.
He told foreign leaders “who will soon be calling to ask for exemptions from these tariffs” to drop theirs first.

Parts of the order had different implementation timelines, with some beginning as early as in a few hours.
“Effective at midnight, we will impose a 25-percent tariff on all foreign-made automobiles,” Trump noted.

Advertisement

The “baseline” 10 percent tariff would start on April 5, while higher rates on various partners would begin on April 9.

According to the US government, Nigeria charges 27 percent tariffs to the US. The report included currency manipulation and trade barriers as contributors to the amount.

In retaliation, Trump imposed a 14 percent retaliatory tariff on Nigeria.
Countries like China and Mexico already grappling with previously imposed tariffs were hit with additional rates.
Here are the country-specific tariff rates:
China –34 percent
India — 26 percent
South Korea — 25 percent
Japan — 24 percent
Taiwan — 32 percent
United Kingdom — 10 percent
Vietnam — 46 percent
Switzerland — 31 percent
Cambodia — 49 percent
South Africa — 30 percent
Indonesia — 32 percent
Brazil — 10 percent
Singapore — 10 percent

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Air Algerie Inaugural Flight to Abuja Will Strengthen Nigeria-Algeria Ties – FG

Published

on

 

By Gloria Ikibah

As part of ways t to deepen diplomatic and economic ties between Nigeria and Algeria, Air Algerie will commence direct flights from Algiers to Abuja on April 6, 2025.

according to a statement by the Acting Spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kemiebi Ebienfa, this milestone follows the implementation of the Bilateral Air Services Agreement (BASA) between both nations.

Advertisement

The new route, operated by Algeria’s national carrier using a Boeing 737 aircraft, is expected to improve connectivity, promote tourism, and facilitate trade and investment between the two countries. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs described the development as a testament to the growing cooperation between Nigeria and Algeria.

“This landmark development equally underscores the shared commitment of both countries to deepening bilateral cooperation in aviation, commerce, and people-to-people exchanges.

The Ministry commends the significant role played by the Embassy of Nigeria in Algiers for not only facilitating this noble goal but also seeing to its fruition. The Charge d’Affaires of the Embassy of Nigeria in Algiers, leadership of the Nigerian Community in Algeria and representative of the Algerian Government are expected to be on board the scheduled inaugural flight,” the statement read.

The Federal Government has assured full support for the success and continuity of the service.

Advertisement

“We believe this initiative will further strengthen the longstanding friendship between Nigeria and Algeria while opening new opportunities for mutual growth,” the statement added.

Air Algerie’s entry into the Nigerian market also presents an opportunity for Nigerian travelers. The airline’s affordable fares and Algeria’s proximity to Europe could serve as an easier gateway for Nigerians heading to Europe.

The direct flights will operate twice a week, and the government is encouraging Nigerian citizens and businesses to take advantage of the opportunity for trade, tourism, and cultural exchange.

With anticipation building ahead of the inaugural flight, stakeholders in aviation and commerce see this as a step towards stronger economic ties between the two African nations.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Rivers APC demands Fubara’s probe over ex-HoS allegations

Published

on

By

The Chairman of the All Progressives Congress in Rivers State, Chief Tony Okocha, has called for the probe of suspended Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his loyalists over the demolition of the state House of Assembly complex and alleged misappropriation of funds.

Okocha based his call on the statement by former Head of Service in the state, George Nwaeke, who alleged at the weekend that Fubara sponsored the bombing of the Assembly complex to avert his impeachment by lawmakers.

But Fubara’s Special Adviser on Electronic Media, Jerry Omotsegunwa, dismissed the probe call, saying, “It is laughable for any right-thinking individual to believe the video confessions of the erstwhile HoS.”

Omotsegunwa described the HoS allegation as childish, incoherent and ill-prepared.

Advertisement

The ex-HoS had at the weekend claimed to have witnessed Fubari handing over a bag of money to his Chief of Staff, Edison Ehie, to destroy the Assembly complex.

Both Fubara and Ehie vehemently denied the allegation, insisting that Nwaeke was under the influence and not in his right frame of mind when he made the allegations. Additionally, Ehie said he had instructed his lawyer to start a defamation suit against Nwaeke.

But on Wednesday, Okocha, an ally of Fubara’s estranged godfather, Nyesom Wike, said Nwaeke’s allegation could not be dismissed because he was the number three man in the state as the HoS.

Okocha argued that Nwaeke’s revelation had vindicated the APC’s earlier position on the matter, specifically implicating suspended Fubara and Ehie, as being responsible for the Assembly complex attack.

Advertisement

He said, “Nwaeke’s account further corroborates the position of Rivers APC that Fubara is the architect of the entire political crisis in the state, leading to the swift declaration of a state of emergency of President Bola Tinubu to restore order and forestall a total breakdown of peace.

“The truth is like broad daylight, which shines through the darkness and repels darkness to bring forth daylight. It is important to state here, for the purpose of emphasis and clarity, that Nwaeke, as the Head of Service at the time, was the number three man in the state. As such, his account cannot be hearsay.

“Taxpayers money in Rivers State was wasted in a way and manner that cannot be forgotten in a hurry amidst scarce resources and global economic crunch. The Supreme Court put it rightly in her unanimous judgment delivered on 28th February 2025 by describing Fubara as a dictator. Yes, he was a dictator!”

Okocha called on security agencies to investigate the claim and bring all those involved, whether directly or indirectly, to book.

Advertisement

The APC chairman also berated those criticising Nwaeke for airing his mind.

“The APC in Rivers State is strong in her belief that the relevant security agencies will be professional enough to get at the root cause of this whole matter and make such public.

“The verbal attacks staged against the resigned HoS, will not deter the statesman from unveiling the rots of Sim Fubara’s which we harped on as opposition political party. On this matter, APC shall function as watchdogs,” he stated.

Reacting, however, Fubara’s aide, Omotsegunwa, said the HoS allegation was unreliable and fraught with inconstistencies.

Advertisement

He said, “That was like something that was cooked up and ill-prepared. I don’t think anybody should take that confession seriously. Three confessions, three videos contradicting each other. Which security agent or agency will take that type of thing seriously?

“First, he (Nwaeke) said he was in a meeting between the Governor and the now Chief of Staff (Edison Ehie) and the former Chairman of Ohio/Akpor local government area, Chijioke Ihunwo.

“That he saw when they were discussing how to bomb the House of Assembly. And the next video he made was that he was not there; he was told. Meanwhile, he saw them carrying bags, not knowing what they contained. Later he said they carried bags of money. Is that what we should be thinking of?

“So, what money is Tony Okocha saying they should probe the governor for? The phantom N16bn that does not exist anywhere?”

Advertisement

Omotsegunwa said the state’s Sole Administrator had looked at Fubara’s projects and commended him as a prudent person.

“So, I don’t know what else Tony Okocha is talking about. How can anyone believe the crass, illogical videos? It doesn’t make any sense to me, “ he added.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News