Politics
Hon. Ikenga and Fake G-60 Reps Coalition Chickens Out After Authentic PDP Briefs Media

By Gloria Ikibah
Ikenga and his G60 Peoples Democratic Party Caucus in the House of Representatives has suddenly back pedalled on their initial announcement to brief the media on the outcome of their meeting which was scheduled to hold today at the National Assembly Complex in Abuja.
Naijablitznews.com reports that the G60 is a group of imaginary 60 lawmakers under the auspices of Opposition lawmakers coalition, who had last week, threatened to quit the party if the doctored list of Caretaker Committees in Rivers and 10 other states which was filled with members and loyalist of the All Progressive Congress (APC) is not nullified.
The imaginary 60 members of the group according to our source is not true as only five members claimed to be 60
The PDP caucus had today slated a meeting for 11am at the National Assembly Complex and thereafter the group was to brief the House of Representatives Press Corps by 1pm, but the briefing could not hold while the Caucus briefed the media on the state of security in Nigeria.
The meeting convened by the
Leader of the Caucus and House Minority Leader, Hon. Kingsley Chinda was held on Tuesday at House Committee Room 413, National Assembly Complex Abuja ahead of Thursday’s National Executive Committee (NEC) of the party.
But Spokesperson of G60 Rep. Ikenga Ugochinyere, lawmaker representing Ideato Federal constituency of Imo state, said the briefing would no longer hold and has been cancelled.
No genuine reason was given for the cancellation as the authentic PDP Caucus had briefed the press and no more fabricated story could fly.
News making the rounds has it that the press secretary of one of the alleged G60 alleged that the meeting with the Minority Leader ended in commotion as lawmakers were sharply divided along the lines of pro and anti-Umar Damgun, the party’s acting National Chairman.
He alleged that the outcome of the meeting said the move to pass vote of confidence on Damagun failed.
He further said: “We are glad that the plan of the pro- Wike group supporting Damagun fall like a pack of cards as we refused all entreaties to perpetuate illegality and stoking of crisis in the party. Our position remains that Damagun must go for someone from North-central to take over and complete Ayu’s tenure.
“Our Party needs total overhaul and reformation. We currently have in the PDP a national leadership that is in bed with the APC and is working extremely hard to hand over the party to the APC. This is quite shameful disheartening. But we won’t fold our hands and let gat happen.
But a very reliable source within the PDP disclosed that the meeting of the caucus went smoothly as they were all on same page.
Also while addressing journalists after the meeting, the Minority Leader, Rep. Chinda said the PDP caucus was united, indivisible committed and out to perform its duty as the watchdog on behalf of the Nigerians.
Rep. Chinda said: “We have just concluded the third meeting of the People’s Democratic Party caucus in the 10th Assembly and have resolved to tell all of us and the world that we are United and we are one and remained United, indivisible, committed and out to perform her duty as the watchdog on behalf of the Nigerian people.
“In the same vein, we x-rayed the security situation in the country and resolved that we can no longer accept the situation where Nigeria is today tagged one life, one minute silence. The government is therefore called upon to immediately take steps to ensure that the security situation in the country is normalised and the caucus has also given a three month ultimatum for government to normalise the security situation in our country.
“After three months, the caucus will take further steps to sensitise and mobilise Nigerians to perhaps take their security in their hands.
The House caucus also agreed to call on all party caucuses, the Board of Trustees, National Executive Committee and the National Working Committee of the party to embark on reconciliation measures with a view to resolving all litigation that are pending and has hindered the party in any way whatsoever from having a substantive national Chairman.
“We call on our leaders in the PDP to continue to demonstrate unconditional loyalty to the party and ensure that the party reclaim her pride of place where she enjoyes the position of the largest party in Africa and to take back the Aso Villa which actually supposed to be our birth right.
“For us, we are going back as we resume the session to commence a strong, virile and purpose driven opposition to give the people a voice in the parliament.
We also call on the Senate Leadership to please take steps to recall our colleague and senior brother, a veteran politician, a parliamentarian per excellence, Abdul Ningi.”
Though members of the G60 were seen during the meeting and briefing seated calming without any agitations or even commotion, one would wonder how true their claim was and why the G60 backed down on the scheduled press conference.
Politics
Just in: Confusion As Edo Guber Tribunal ‘Judgment’ Leaks Online

A document alleged to be the judgment of the Edo State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal has surfaced online, just a day before the official ruling is set to be announced.
The tribunal had previously scheduled April 2, 2025, for the formal delivery of its judgment regarding the petition filed by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and its candidate, Asue Ighodalo, challenging the outcome of the September 21, 2024, election.
The leaked ‘judgment,’ which appeared on social media, shows a split decision among the three-member panel led by Justice Wilfred Kpochi. According to the documents, two of the justices, Kpochi and A.B. Yusuf, ruled to dismiss the petition, while Justice A.A. Adewole gave a minority judgment in favor of Ighodalo.
In the leaked minority judgment, Justice Adewole argued that Governor Monday Okpebholo’s election should be nullified due to significant violations of the Electoral Act. He claimed that Ighodalo and the PDP had provided enough proof that their candidate should have received 243,113 votes compared to Okpebholo’s 210,326 votes, which would have changed the election’s outcome.
“The petitioners’ case was not rebutted, and they showed unit by unit how the actual total should be 243,113 votes, while the 2nd Respondent’s tally should stand at 210,326 votes—a clear reversal of the declared result,” Justice Adewole reportedly wrote.
On the other hand, the majority ruling by Justice Kpochi acknowledged that some irregularities occurred, such as improper documentation of serial numbers in EC 25B forms and cases of over-voting. However, the tribunal concluded that these issues did not significantly impact the election results.
Justice Kpochi stated, “The petitioners have not discharged the dual burden to the satisfaction of the law. Accordingly, the petition lacks merit and is hereby dismissed.”
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) had earlier declared Okpebholo of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as the winner, with 291,667 votes, while Ighodalo of the PDP secured 247,655 votes. Dissatisfied with the results, Ighodalo and his party argued that the election was flawed due to improper handling of sensitive materials, which they claim led to rigging.
The case, officially registered as EPT/ED/GOV/02/2024, questions the legitimacy of Okpebholo’s victory, with the PDP insisting that their candidate received the highest number of lawful votes.
As the tribunal prepares to announce its ruling, the leaked documents have sparked debate over whether the final decision will align with what has already surfaced online.
Politics
SDP cautions defectors against taking control of the party

The leadership of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) in Southwest at the weekend made clarification on the new membership of the former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory ( FCT) , Mallam Nasir El-Rufai and others who recently joined the party.
According to the party, new members are expected to play the game by the rules , and not to hijack the party from those who are there before them.
Speaking at a meeting of the party during an Iftar organized by the Oyo State chapter of the party for stakeholders in the 11 local governments in Ibadanland, the leader of SDP in the South West, Hon. Mulikat Adeola Akande declared that the party will take careful measure to ensure that only candidates that are tested and trusted are presented in the 2027 general elections.
On the defection of former governor of Kaduna State, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai to the SDP, Hon Mulikat Akande said “politics is a game of numbers and anybody who wants to come into SDP is welcome as long as they are ready to play by the rules of the party and not with the mind of taking the party from those who are there before.”
She said she was not aware that the motive of the former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory FCT, to join the SDP is to become the presidential candidate of the party in 2027.
Hon Akande , while commenting on the chances of the party, said the SDP would ensure that only credible candidates are allowed to fly the party’s flag in the next general elections.
“ You don’t just sit down and say you want to win election and then go and bring out anybody. We must have the right candidates, somebody tested and trusted,who has integrity that when people hears his name they can rely on him. Someone who is dependable and reliable who will work for the people and not for himself. Those are the qualities we are looking for,” she said
Hon Akande further charged party faithful to remain loyal to the party so as to ensure its success at the polls urging intending members to register at their various wards.
Politics
Recall process incurs higher costs than senatorial election, says INEC

The Independent National Electoral Commission has outlined the complexities and costs involved in the recall process, likening it to organising a full election.
These were communicated on Saturday via X Spaces as the commission discussed “INEC Regulations and Guidelines for recall 2024. BVAS and IREV: Facts and Myths.”
The Special Adviser to the INEC Chairman, Prof. Mohammed Kuna, explained that a recall election involves significant resources, including staff mobilisation, technology, and recall material deployments, and transportation.
He noted that the process is more expensive than a senatorial election, requiring efforts equivalent to conducting three such elections.
“A recall process is like conducting an election itself. It has to do with mobilisation of staff, deployments of recall materials, technologies, transportation, among others.
“A recall process is like conducting three senatorial district elections because we will go back to the field three times. It is more expensive than conducting a senatorial election.”
Also, the Chief Press Secretary to the INEC Chairman, Rotimi Oyekanmi, reaffirmed the Commission’s commitment to following legal guidelines in the event of a recall.
“If constituents express the desire for a recall and fulfill the necessary requirements, we will proceed accordingly,” Oyekanmi said.
He added that if a seat in the National Assembly becomes vacant and INEC is informed by the Presiding Officers, a by-election would be conducted.
Regarding the financial aspects, Oyekanmi assured that INEC has provisions in place for all potential scenarios.
“We prepare for all situations, as we are aware of the unpredictability of electoral events,” he stated, ensuring that the Commission is ready for any developments.
INEC received a petition seeking the recall of Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, who represents Kogi Central Senatorial District.
The petition, presented on behalf of the constituents by Charity Ijese, was received and stamped by INEC’s Secretary, Rose Oriaran-Anthony, on Monday at the Commission’s headquarters in Abuja.
The recall petition followed a series of contentious events involving Akpoti-Uduaghan, who was suspended from the Senate on March 6 for alleged “gross misconduct” after a dispute with Senate President Godswill Akpabio.
She had previously accused Akpabio of sexual harassment.
The constituents, who claim to have met the constitutional requirements for the recall process, stated that over 200,000 registered voters, more than half of the district’s electorate, signed the petition.
The commission further confirmed that a letter containing the telephone numbers, email addresses, and other contact information of the petitioners’ representatives was submitted on Wednesday to the Commission’s Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu.
The commission noted that the next phase in the process would involve INEC verifying whether the petition has been endorsed by more than 50 percent of the registered voters in Kogi Central.
-
News17 hours ago
Natasha: Kogi PDP hammers Ododo, reiterates unfeigned support for her
-
Economy16 hours ago
SEE Black Market Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate Today 3rd April 2025
-
News24 hours ago
Rivers APC demands Fubara’s probe over ex-HoS allegations
-
News12 hours ago
Just in: “Ignore rumour mongers, there was no time I collapsed “-Wike asserts
-
News12 hours ago
CJ transfers Natasha’s case to Justice Nyako
-
News15 hours ago
Just in: INEC dumps recall petition against Sen Natasha
-
News20 hours ago
Just in: Finally, Trump imposes 14% tarriff on Nigeria oil, others
-
News9 hours ago
We’re putting together new 2025 Budget for Rivers-Ibas