Connect with us

News

Court to determine validity of Olukoyede’s appointment as EFCC chairman, June 19

Published

on

Justice Obiora Egwuatu of a Federal High Court in Abuja has adjourned till June 19, for judgment in a suit seeking the sack of Mr Ola Olukoyede as the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission ( EFCC).

The judge fixed the date for judgment after lawyers representing parties adopted and argued their briefs of arguments for and against the suit.

An Abuja-based legal practitioner, Mr Victor Opatola, had last year dragged President Bola Tinubu to court, over the appointment of Olukoyede.

Opatola, in the suit filed at the Federal High Court, Abuja, is specifically challenging the validity of his appointment on the grounds that he did not meet the years of service required by law for the office of chairman of the anti-graft agency.

Advertisement

The President of Nigeria, National Assembly, Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and Olukoyede are first to fourth respondents respectively, in the suit marked: HC/ABJ/CS/1403/2023.

Adopting his brief on Thursday, Opatola urged the court to discountenance and dismiss the objections and prayers of the defendants and grant the reliefs sought in the suit.

However, the respondents argued otherwise, praying the court to dismiss the suit for lacking in merit.

Olukoyede, who was represented by Olumide Fusika (SAN, challenged the legal authority of the plaintiff to institute the suit in the first place.

Advertisement

Besides, Olukoyede claimed that he is eminently qualified to occupy the office of EFCC Chairman, having served as Secretary of the Commission, a grade Level 17 position, which is higher than the rank of an Assistant Commissioner of Police, a grade Level 14 position.

He accordingly asked the court to dismiss the suit.

After listening to all parties in the suit, Justice Egwuatu subsequently adjourned to June 19 for judgment.

Amongst the issues Opatola raised for determination are: Whether by the true construction and interpretation of Section 2 (1) (a) of the EFCC Act 2004, Olukoyede, who has not fulfilled the conditions of the Act can be validly appointed as EFCC chairman.

Advertisement

He also asked the court to determine whether by the true construction and interpretation of Section 2(1)(a) of the EFCC Act 2004, the person appointed to the office of the chairman of the EFCC can be said to be above the rank of assistant commissioner of police or its equivalent.

“Whether by the true construction and interpretation of Section 2(1)(a) (iii) of the EFCC Act 2004, the interpretation of subsection (iii) should be read disjunctively of subsection (ii) of the act in a manner that Olukoyede, who was appointed to the office of the chairman of EFCC can be said to have 15 Years of cognate experience in any field outside the government security or law enforcement agency.

“Whether by the true construction and interpretation of Section 2(1)(a) (ii)(iii) of the EFCC Act 2004, the National Assembly can validly confirm the appointment of Olukoyede who has not fulfilled the provisions of the law.”

Opatola also prayed the court to make further declarations upon the determination of the above questions.

Advertisement

“A declaration that pursuant to Section 2(1)(a) (ii)(iii) of the EFCC Act, the appointment of Olukoyede to the office of the EFCC chairman is illegal and void.

“A declaration that pursuant to Section 2(1)(a) (ii)(iii) of the EFCC Act, any confirmation of the 4th defendant’s appointment made by the National Assembly is void and of no legal consequence.”

The counsel also asked the court for an order of perpetual injunction restraining the National Assembly from confirming the appointment of the fourth respondent.

He further prayed the court for an order of perpetual injunction restraining the fourth defendant from holding office as chairman of EFCC.

Advertisement

News

INEC ought to have archived recall petition long ago-Senator Natasha

Published

on

By

Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan on Thursday hailed the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for rejecting a petition to recall her as the lawmaker representing Kogi Central Senatorial District.

The lawmaker, who was a guest on Channels Television’s Politics Today, said the electoral umpire should have thrown out the petition long before it did on April 3, 2025.

“I’m a lawyer. I’m a senator and I understand how Nigeria works. For me, the most important thing is this recall process has been stalled.

“I give kudos and credit to INEC even though I believe they should have thrown it away from the get-go.

Advertisement

“I think it was void ab initio because there is no law in the Electoral Act that says a petition should be discarded just because there is no address but again, what if the address is false?”

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftain argued that most of the addresses provided in the petition for her recall were false because most houses in her district weren’t labelled.

Even though INEC did count 208,000 signatures, I bet you if they had gone into the verification stage, they would have struggled to even have 500 people come out to attest to signing that,” she added.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

We’re putting together new 2025 Budget for Rivers-Ibas

Published

on

By

…hosts Delegation Of Rivers NASS Caucus

The Administrator of Rivers State, Vice Admiral (Rtd) Ibok Ete Ekwe Ibas, has said that an appropriation bill for 2025 is being articulated to provide for critical development concerns in healthcare delivery, education, agriculture and infrastructure.

Vice Admiral (Rtd) Ibas also said that the anticipated budget will cater to creating more employment opportunities for Rivers people and advance delivery of technology in critical facets of public life.

The administrator gave the hint when he hosted the delegation of Rivers State caucus at the National Assembly, led by Dr Barinada Mpigi, the Senator representing Rivers South-East District, at Government House in Port Harcourt on Thursday.

Advertisement

Those on the delegation included Senator Allwell Onyesoh, the minority leader of the House of Representatives, Rep. Kingsley Chinda, Hon Dumnamene Dekor, Hon Solomon Bob, Hon Cyril Godwin Hart,
Hon Blessing Amadi, Hon. Felix Nwaeke, Hon Kelechi Nwogu, and Hon Victor Obuzor

Ibas said he has been resolute, since assumption of office, to restore law and order, and with support from the security agencies, an environment has been created where Rivers residents feel valued and safer.

The Administrator stated that the commitment is to make Rivers a model of peace in the comity of States, with a stable economy and citizens courageous to pursue their livelihood without fear or molestation.

“In addition to our peace building efforts, we are also focused on the economic stability and development of Rivers State.

Advertisement

“Since the Supreme Court verdict on the state’s budget, we have acted swiftly and decided to put together a new budget that reflects our commitment to healthcare, education, social services, and continued infrastructural development.

“We have worked diligently to ensure that the process is transparent, inclusive, and most importantly expedited. Our goal is to ensure that we do not lose any more time in making the necessary investments that will improve the lives of citizens.”

Vice Admiral (Rtd) Ibas stated: “The budget which is been finalized focuses on creating job opportunities and investing in key sectors such as agriculture, infrastructure, and technology.

“We understand the urgency of this initiative, and we are committed to ensuring that they are implemented without delay.”

Advertisement

The Administrator noted that to get the task done, the support of the legislators will be required as key representatives of Rivers State in the National Assembly.

He sued for their assistance in securing the necessary resources and legislative backing that would bring the initiative of his administration to fruition.

“Your partnership is critical to success in ensuring that Rivers State remains on the path of progress and enduring peace for future generations.”

He explained that in the face of the challenges that beset Rivers, which led to the State of emergency declared by President Bola Tinubu, dialogue, community engagement and reconciliation were deplored to build trust among the citizenry.

Advertisement

He noted that the people of Rivers State have shown incredible resilience and patience in the efforts taken so far to restore the State back to the path of peace and respect for the law.

Vice Admiral (Rtd) Ibas assured that his administration remains committed to achieving enduring peace for the state.

He said: “Beyond security, we have prioritised community engagements as a central part of our strategy. Dialogue, reconciliation, and inclusivity have been key to building trust among our people.

“We are determined to strengthen the bond of unity in Rivers State and to foster an environment where every citizen feels valued, heard, and respected. Together, we are making strides in ensuring that peace becomes a permanent feature of our state.”

Advertisement

Responding, Senator Barinada Mpigi, representing Rivers South-East District, said they are dedicated representatives of Rivers people at the National Assembly and resolved to support all efforts that will bring development to the State.

While commending the administrator for the modest successes he had achieved so far, Senator Mpigi pledged the support and cooperation of the legislators to ensure the return of the state on the path of law and order.

Continue Reading

News

Just in: Shettima jets out to attend Senegal’s independence

Published

on

 

Vice President Kashim Shettima has departed Abuja for Dakar, Senegal for official assignment.

The VP is expected to represent President Bola Ahmed Tinubu at the West African nation’s 65th Independence Anniversary celebrations.

Senegal marks its Independence Day on April 4 each year, commemorating its liberation from French colonial rule in 1960.

Advertisement

The annual celebration is a significant event featuring national parades, cultural displays, and ceremonies highlighting the country’s achievements and unity.

A statement issued on Thursday by Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Communications, Office of the Vice President, Stanley Nkwocha, said Shettima’s participation followed an official invitation from Senegalese President, Bassirou Diomaye Faye.

This underscored the strong diplomatic and economic ties between Nigeria and Senegal.

The two nations share longstanding relations, particularly within the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), fostering cooperation on regional security, trade, and development initiatives.

Advertisement

The event is expected to reaffirm Senegal’s commitment to democratic governance and regional cooperation.

Vice President Shettima is scheduled to return to Nigeria immediately after the one-day celebrations, continuing his engagements in national development and diplomatic outreach.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News