News
President Tinubu Says He Signed Executive Order To Unlock $10bn Fresh Investment In Oil And Gas

By Gloria Ikibah
President Bola Tinubu has said that he recently signed an Executive Order to unlock about $10 billion in fresh investments in the oil and gas sector.
President Tinubu stated this at a two-day retreat on Economic Transformation And Development organised by the House of Representatives on Tuesday in Abuja.
According to him, the development is expected to happen through Fiscal Incentives for Non-Associated Gas (NAG), Midstream and Deepwater Oil & Gas Developments.
The President who was represented by his Chief of Staff, Femi Gbajabiamila, also disclosed that last week, the Nigerian government signed the consolidated guidelines for implementing Fiscal Incentives for the Oil & Gas Sector.
He explained that the guidelines, which represent a cornerstone of the Presidential Directive, aim to enhance the Nigerian oil and gas sector’s global competitiveness while stimulating economic growth.
He said: “The Executive Order also streamlines contracting processes, procedures, and timelines from 36 months to 6 months. The order also seeks to ensure that local content requirements are implemented without impeding investments or the cost competitiveness of oil and gas projects”.
Related to this, the President said are the reforms being implemented to the nation’s tax regimes that would limit taxes collected without negatively affecting government revenues.
He said: “All of these have the same objective – to reduce government interference with the commercial imperatives of businesses in the country so that businesses based here can be competitive and focus on their core objectives of economic growth through innovation and trade.
“We will need the support of the National Assembly to fully implement some of these reforms, as statutory changes will be required in some areas.
“I am confident that when the time comes, the governing partnership we have established between the Executive and the Legislature will ensure that these changes are effected swiftly to benefit our nation.”
The president further stated that despite the sceptics, the productive collaboration between the executive, the House, and the Senate has yielded significant results with the successfully passage of numerous bills aimed at enhancing the welfare of Nigerians.
He therefore expressed appreciation to the leadership of the National Assembly for their swift action in considering and passing the Student Loans (Access to Higher Education) (Repeal and Reenactment) Act 2024.
“Your actions have substantially fortified the legal framework of the Students Tertiary Education Loan Program, ensuring its efficient implementation. These achievements are a testament to the power of our partnership and the positive impact it can have on our nation.
“In a World Bank document titled “Legislative Oversight and Budgeting: A World Perspective,” Thomas Frederick Remington wrote “for legislators to effectively fulfil their roles of representation, oversight, and law-making, a certain level of cooperation between the Legislature and the Executive in policymaking is essential.
“The legislature must have the capacity to monitor the executive, and the executive, in turn, should be willing to comply with the legislative enactments.
“It is not just a coincidence but a strategic advantage for our country that the governing relationship between the Executive and the Legislature perfectly reflects this ideal.
“As you know, my administration is implementing significant policy changes to reform how we govern and position our country for progress and shared prosperity for all citizens.
“These reforms, while necessary and, in some cases, long overdue, are not without their challenges. I am deeply grateful for your unwavering support and understanding during these times. Your understanding and support have been invaluable, and I am confident that with our continued collaboration, we can overcome any challenges that lie ahead.
“The oil and gas industry has long been the lifeblood of our national economy. My administration is working tirelessly to change this and diversify our economy from overreliance on the production of fossil fuels. However, we are also determined to maximise revenue potential from this critical industry.
“For this reason, we are pushing policies to attract investment in the oil and gas sector”.
The President also added: “We can only justify our collective mandate and the trust our people repose in us through constructive collaboration between the National Assembly and the Executive. This joint effort is the minimum the people who voted for us expect from us.
“However, the very essence of checks and balances means there will be times when the executive and legislative prerogatives inevitably collide. Above all else, the national interest must guide our decisions in those moments. We share a common responsibility in shaping the future of our nation, and it is through our collaboration that we can effectively fulfil this duty”.
News
Delta issues 21-day ultimatum to unapproved schools

The Delta State Government has vowed to shut down all unapproved nursery and primary schools across the state.
The measure is being taken “to sanitise the private sector participation in the primary education sector in the state.”
This was contained in a government special announcement signed by the Director of Public Communication/Functioning Permanent Secretary in the State Ministry of Information, Theresa Adiabua Oliko.
Copies were made available to journalists in Warri on Thursday.
The government, however, advised owners of all unapproved primary schools across the state to “upgrade” within the 21-day ultimatum or risk being shut down.
The public announcement partly reads, “It is hereby announced for the information of the public, particularly owners of private nursery and primary schools in Delta State, that the government, pursuance to its responsibility to sanitise the private sector participation in the primary education sector in the state, that all unapproved primary schools in the state are hereby given a 21-day ultimatum to upgrade their infrastructure and formalise their status with the ministry of primary education with immediate effect.
“Failure to comply with this directive will attract severe sanctions, including outright closure of all such schools.
“The 21-day ultimatum has become imperative as a result of the proliferation of unapproved private schools whose poor infrastructural facilities, unqualified teachers and unhealthy operational environment have become worrisome to the state government.”
News
I’m not behind Elisha Abbo’s sacking from Senate – Akpabio

The Senate President, Senator Godswill Akpabio on Thursday, berated former lawmaker representing Adamawa North Senatorial District, Elisha Abbo, saying he has no hand in his removal from the National Assembly.
The clarification was made in a statement issued in Abuja by Akpabio’s media aide, Eseme Eyiboh.
Abbo was sacked by the Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja on October 16, 2023.
The judgment delivered by a three-member panel presided over by Justice C.E. Nwosu-Iheme ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission to issue a Certificate of Return to Amos Yohanna of the Peoples Democratic Party as the duly elected lawmaker representing the area at the Senate.
The appellate court vacated the tribunal judgment which had earlier affirmed Abbo of the All Progressives Congress as the winner of the senatorial election.
But speaking on a live programme on Arise Television on Wednesday, Abbo blamed Akpabio for his predicament.
The Adamawa politician also accused the Senate President of running the Red Chamber like an emperor.
This was even as he condemned the suspension of the senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, who is presently battling to retain her mandate.
Reacting, Akpabio said he was shocked to hear Abbo blame him again for his ouster from the Senate barely two years after apologising to him.
He said, “It is sad and regrettable that despite publicly retracting a similar allegation in 2023—after admitting that his earlier accusation was premature and based on the available information at our disposal—Mr. Abbo has once again embarked on a campaign of misinformation and blame transfer.
“Following a discussion with the Senate President last year, Mr. Abbo himself acknowledged that Senator Akpabio had ‘no involvement’ in the judicial process that led to his removal. It is puzzling that he would now return to the same baseless allegations he once renounced.”
Continuing, Akpabio emphasised that it was the court and not him that determined his fate before he was consequently removed.
The former governor asserted that he, therefore, found it illogical and irresponsible that Abbo could turn around and allege that he influenced the judgment that he accepted at the time.
“It is there in the papers (see PUNCH Newspaper of 18th October 2023). Mr Abbo has also sought to create the impression that he was unjustly denied official benefits following his ouster. He claims entitlement to salaries, allowances, and even an official vehicle, despite the court’s declaration that his tenure was null and void ab initio.
“If any of Abbo’s claims for payment did not reach the desk of the Senate President, it is because they failed to meet these lawful standards—not because of any personal or political vendetta. It is unfortunate that instead of accepting the consequences of his legal and political failings, Abbo continues to resort to media theatrics and reckless finger-pointing.
“Akpabio remains focused on the noble task of nation-building, providing purposeful leadership in the Senate, and strengthening democratic institutions—especially the independence of the judiciary. He will not be distracted by the antics of individuals who seek to rewrite history to mask personal failures.
“We urge Mr Abbo to reflect deeply, respect the rule of law, and focus on rebuilding the confidence of his constituents if he hopes to return to public life. Nigeria’s democracy can only thrive when its actors show maturity, responsibility, and an abiding respect for the truth,” the statement added.
News
NCAA to sanction airlines over deportees maltreatment

The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority has strongly cautioned international airlines against the increasing complaints from passengers who are transported partway to their destinations, only to be deported back to Nigeria.
The NCAA criticised this practice, emphasising that it has led to considerable distress for passengers and damaged the reputation of Nigeria’s aviation industry.
The NCAA’s Director of Consumer Protection and Public Affairs, Michael Achimugu, announced this in a signed statement on Thursday.
“These actions, which involve the refusal of boarding or denial of entry at intermediate or transit stops due to visa and travel restrictions, are completely unacceptable,” he said.
The NCAA stressed that airlines are responsible for informing passengers of any potential obstacles to their entry before their journey begins.
“Passengers should not be put in a position where they are denied entry or returned to Nigeria only upon arrival at transit stops,” Achimugu added.
Referring to the Nigeria Civil Aviation Regulations 2023 (Part 19.21.1.1), the NCAA reiterated that airlines and their agents are obligated to inform travellers of any potential entry restrictions before departure.
“Airlines must take appropriate measures to screen and provide passengers with accurate, up-to-date information regarding their travel documents and visa requirements before issuing tickets or allowing boarding,” the statement read.
In light of these issues, the NCAA has announced immediate enforcement measures.
“Effective immediately, any airline found engaging in such practices will face regulatory action, including fines, suspension of flight operations, or other penalties deemed appropriate,” Achimugu warned.
“The NCAA expects the cooperation of all airlines in maintaining the integrity and professionalism of the aviation industry, as well as ensuring the wellbeing of Nigerian passengers,” the statement read.
-
News20 hours ago
Natasha: Kogi PDP hammers Ododo, reiterates unfeigned support for her
-
Economy20 hours ago
SEE Black Market Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate Today 3rd April 2025
-
News15 hours ago
Just in: “Ignore rumour mongers, there was no time I collapsed “-Wike asserts
-
News15 hours ago
CJ transfers Natasha’s case to Justice Nyako
-
News19 hours ago
Just in: INEC dumps recall petition against Sen Natasha
-
News12 hours ago
We’re putting together new 2025 Budget for Rivers-Ibas
-
News23 hours ago
Just in: Finally, Trump imposes 14% tarriff on Nigeria oil, others
-
News17 hours ago
OBIO/AKPOR FEDERAL CONSTITUENCY FREE MEDICAL OUTREACH(PHOTOS)