Connect with us

News

Hardship: Benue ex Commissioner, Olofu launches N50m education fund for Idoma students (Photos)

Published

on

Former Commissioner for Finance in Benue State, Dr. David Olofu, has launched a N50m Education Support Fund, to carter for the hardship being faced by Idoma students in tertiary institutions across the 9 Local Government Areas of Benue South.

Olofu, who was the Chairman of the Forum of Commissioners for Finance in Nigeria, and current Senior Technical Advisor to the Nigerian Governors’ Forum, said the initiative was to support the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu led administration’s resolve to provide succours to the students.

Olofu was initially nominated by the Idoma Area Traditional Council for a chieftaincy title in Otukpo, but barely 48 hours to the event, he was allegedly delisted, on the order of the Governor Hycient Alia. No official statement from the Governor’s media team yet.

But Olofu, at a press conference in Otukpo, Benue State on Friday, said he had put that behind him, saying, he would rather use the funds raised for the reception of the event, to put smiles on the faces of Idoma students.

Advertisement

“As you are aware, in the last couple of days, I was scheduled to be conferred with the chieftaincy title by the revered Idoma Area Traditional Council.

“And when I got the notification from his Royal Majesty, the Och’Idoma, I informed all my friends and associates, my political party and also constituted the central planning committee to make sure that we have a successful confirmation ceremony.

“Less than 48 hours to the event, I got notification that, that will no longer be the case. In the meantime, my friends, colleagues and associates had supported me to make sure that this event was held hedge free.

“I have to some extent, utilized the support that was provided, but I did not exhaust what was provided and I felt that, given that, that provision had been made by them, I reached out to them and we came to a conclusion that I should apply the balance of what has been contributed to support my people in any way possible, and in consultation with my constituency and my leaders across party lines.

Advertisement

“Let me also mention that, this contribution that I have mentioned came in from all over the federation, across party lines. Both people who are in PDP, APC, APGA and Labour, contributed to this event to identify with the honor that was going to be bestowed on me by His Royal Majesty, the Och’idoma.

“You may recall, I served as the chairman of the Forum of Commissioners of Finance of Nigeria, and currently serving as Senior Technical Advisor to Nigerian Governors’ Forum.

“So, the support came across board and from all over the federation. And after consultation with my leaders, we decided that we apply what is left from the support that I have received to support Idoma students in higher institutions, by way of what I refer to as Education Support Fund.

“So today, by the grace of God, we are using what has been contributed by my colleagues, friends and associates, to set up an Education Support Fund, under the umbrella of Apa Legacy Sustainability Initiative.

Advertisement

“And we have a window of about 50 million, with an initial inflow of about 20 million and a projection of 10 million per year, to reach out to all the students that will qualify for this intervention”, Olofu said.

He recounted how he resorted to serving as a waiter in restaurants during his days at the University of Agriculture, Makurdi, just to meet up with his education funding; adding that, he fought the temptations to quit schooling and saw himself to the graduation.

In naming the Board of Trustees of the Education Support Fund, Olofu said, “We consulted widely and we came to a conclusion that our brother, our leader and our son, who is currently serving as a senior lecturer at the Federal University Wukari; our own brother, Professor David Salifu, a former SSG to serve as the chairman of the Board of Trustees that will administer this fund.

“Let me emphasize that, this fund will devoid of political affiliations and to work with him in that team, we have also recognized that we bring on board the National Association of Idoma Students (NAIS).

Advertisement

“We also recognized the need to have a representative of the Idoma Area Traditional Council and also a representative of civil society on that team and to provide secretarial services, we have also nominated Honourable Owoicho Oyi, the former chairman of Apa Local Government, to serve in that capacity”.

The Board chairman, Prof. Salifu in his acceptance message, described the project as laudable and enjoined other Idoma sons and daughters to emulate the initiator of the project, Dr. Olofu.

“I accept my appointment to chair the Board of the Education Support Fund initiated by my younger brother, the immediate past Benue Finance Commissioner, Dr. David Olofu. I am totally committed to the goal of the Foundation and I call us to make ourselves available as the blocks to building this initiative to its logical conclusion”.

The President of NAIS, Comrade Vincent Odebugu expressed his gratitude to Dr. Olofu, for his charity towards the Idoma students, despite the situation of things.

Advertisement

He said, “I stand here today in appreciation and in commendation to Hon. David Olofu, for this charitable act towards the Idoma nation, of a truth, you have experienced what it takes to pass through the four walls of the university, having a track record of facing challenges while on campus. These are the challenges we leaders of the association are facing and we are handicapped by not being able to render solutions.”

In their separate remarks, a Chieftain of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Hon. Chris Adaba Abba, and Comrade Joe Ochogwu, National President of NAIS in 1995, lauded the gesture of Dr. Olofu, urging other Idoma leaders to emulate him.

The duo acknowledged that, others would have retired home and be murmuring about the delisting, saying, anything done to support Nigerian students at this critical time, is godly and of great virtue.

Advertisement

News

Delta issues 21-day ultimatum to unapproved schools

Published

on

By

The Delta State Government has vowed to shut down all unapproved nursery and primary schools across the state.

The measure is being taken “to sanitise the private sector participation in the primary education sector in the state.”

This was contained in a government special announcement signed by the Director of Public Communication/Functioning Permanent Secretary in the State Ministry of Information, Theresa Adiabua Oliko.

Copies were made available to journalists in Warri on Thursday.

Advertisement

The government, however, advised owners of all unapproved primary schools across the state to “upgrade” within the 21-day ultimatum or risk being shut down.

The public announcement partly reads, “It is hereby announced for the information of the public, particularly owners of private nursery and primary schools in Delta State, that the government, pursuance to its responsibility to sanitise the private sector participation in the primary education sector in the state, that all unapproved primary schools in the state are hereby given a 21-day ultimatum to upgrade their infrastructure and formalise their status with the ministry of primary education with immediate effect.

“Failure to comply with this directive will attract severe sanctions, including outright closure of all such schools.

“The 21-day ultimatum has become imperative as a result of the proliferation of unapproved private schools whose poor infrastructural facilities, unqualified teachers and unhealthy operational environment have become worrisome to the state government.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

I’m not behind Elisha Abbo’s sacking from Senate – Akpabio

Published

on

By

The Senate President, Senator Godswill Akpabio on Thursday, berated former lawmaker representing Adamawa North Senatorial District, Elisha Abbo, saying he has no hand in his removal from the National Assembly.

The clarification was made in a statement issued in Abuja by Akpabio’s media aide, Eseme Eyiboh.

Abbo was sacked by the Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja on October 16, 2023.

The judgment delivered by a three-member panel presided over by Justice C.E. Nwosu-Iheme ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission to issue a Certificate of Return to Amos Yohanna of the Peoples Democratic Party as the duly elected lawmaker representing the area at the Senate.

Advertisement

The appellate court vacated the tribunal judgment which had earlier affirmed Abbo of the All Progressives Congress as the winner of the senatorial election.

But speaking on a live programme on Arise Television on Wednesday, Abbo blamed Akpabio for his predicament.

The Adamawa politician also accused the Senate President of running the Red Chamber like an emperor.

This was even as he condemned the suspension of the senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, who is presently battling to retain her mandate.

Advertisement

Reacting, Akpabio said he was shocked to hear Abbo blame him again for his ouster from the Senate barely two years after apologising to him.

He said, “It is sad and regrettable that despite publicly retracting a similar allegation in 2023—after admitting that his earlier accusation was premature and based on the available information at our disposal—Mr. Abbo has once again embarked on a campaign of misinformation and blame transfer.

“Following a discussion with the Senate President last year, Mr. Abbo himself acknowledged that Senator Akpabio had ‘no involvement’ in the judicial process that led to his removal. It is puzzling that he would now return to the same baseless allegations he once renounced.”

Continuing, Akpabio emphasised that it was the court and not him that determined his fate before he was consequently removed.

Advertisement

The former governor asserted that he, therefore, found it illogical and irresponsible that Abbo could turn around and allege that he influenced the judgment that he accepted at the time.

“It is there in the papers (see PUNCH Newspaper of 18th October 2023). Mr Abbo has also sought to create the impression that he was unjustly denied official benefits following his ouster. He claims entitlement to salaries, allowances, and even an official vehicle, despite the court’s declaration that his tenure was null and void ab initio.

“If any of Abbo’s claims for payment did not reach the desk of the Senate President, it is because they failed to meet these lawful standards—not because of any personal or political vendetta. It is unfortunate that instead of accepting the consequences of his legal and political failings, Abbo continues to resort to media theatrics and reckless finger-pointing.

“Akpabio remains focused on the noble task of nation-building, providing purposeful leadership in the Senate, and strengthening democratic institutions—especially the independence of the judiciary. He will not be distracted by the antics of individuals who seek to rewrite history to mask personal failures.

Advertisement

“We urge Mr Abbo to reflect deeply, respect the rule of law, and focus on rebuilding the confidence of his constituents if he hopes to return to public life. Nigeria’s democracy can only thrive when its actors show maturity, responsibility, and an abiding respect for the truth,” the statement added.

Continue Reading

News

NCAA to sanction airlines over deportees maltreatment

Published

on

By

The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority has strongly cautioned international airlines against the increasing complaints from passengers who are transported partway to their destinations, only to be deported back to Nigeria.

The NCAA criticised this practice, emphasising that it has led to considerable distress for passengers and damaged the reputation of Nigeria’s aviation industry.

The NCAA’s Director of Consumer Protection and Public Affairs, Michael Achimugu, announced this in a signed statement on Thursday.

“These actions, which involve the refusal of boarding or denial of entry at intermediate or transit stops due to visa and travel restrictions, are completely unacceptable,” he said.

Advertisement

The NCAA stressed that airlines are responsible for informing passengers of any potential obstacles to their entry before their journey begins.

“Passengers should not be put in a position where they are denied entry or returned to Nigeria only upon arrival at transit stops,” Achimugu added.

Referring to the Nigeria Civil Aviation Regulations 2023 (Part 19.21.1.1), the NCAA reiterated that airlines and their agents are obligated to inform travellers of any potential entry restrictions before departure.

“Airlines must take appropriate measures to screen and provide passengers with accurate, up-to-date information regarding their travel documents and visa requirements before issuing tickets or allowing boarding,” the statement read.

Advertisement

In light of these issues, the NCAA has announced immediate enforcement measures.

“Effective immediately, any airline found engaging in such practices will face regulatory action, including fines, suspension of flight operations, or other penalties deemed appropriate,” Achimugu warned.

“The NCAA expects the cooperation of all airlines in maintaining the integrity and professionalism of the aviation industry, as well as ensuring the wellbeing of Nigerian passengers,” the statement read.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News