Connect with us

News

Suspected female suicide bombers kill at least 18 in Nigeria, authorities say

Published

on

Female suicide bombers targeted a wedding, a funeral and a hospital in coordinated attacks in northern Nigeria that killed at least 18 people, local authorities said Sunday.
The first suicide bomber detonated an explosive device during a marriage celebration in the northeastern town of Gwoza at about 3 p.m., Barkindo Saidu, Director-General of Borno State Emergency Management Agency, told reporters.
“Minutes later, another blast occurred near General Hospital,” Saidu said, and then there was a third attack at a funeral service by a female bomber disguised as a mourner. Children and pregnant women were among those killed.
No one has so far claimed responsibility for the the attacks, but Gwoza is in Borno state, which has been heavily impacted by an insurgency launched in 2009 by Boko Haram, an Islamic extremist group.
The violence, which has spilled across borders around Lake Chad, has killed over 35,000 people, displaced over 2.6 million and created a massive humanitarian crisis.
Boko Haram, which has one branch allied to the Islamic State group, wants to install an Islamic state in Nigeria, West Africa’s oil giant of 170 million people divided almost equally between a mainly Christian south and a predominantly Muslim north.
In the past, Boko Haram has used women and girls in suicide bombings, prompting suspicions that some from the many thousands that they have kidnapped over the years. The resurgence of suicide bombings in Borno raises significant concerns about the security situation in the region.
Saidu said the degree of injuries ranged from abdominal ruptures to skull and limb fractures.
“I am now coordinating for a chopper tonight,” Saidu said.” I have mobilized emergency drugs to complement the shortage of drugs in Gwoza.”
Authorities imposed a curfew in the city, and the community remained on a high alert following reports of another suspected bomber in Pulka, a town about 2 kilometers (just over a mile) away from Gwoza.
Gwoza is located a few kilometers from Chibok, in southern Borno, where 276 schoolgirls were abducted in 2014. Nearly 100 of the girls are still in captivity.
Since then, at least 1,500 students have been kidnapped across the country as armed groups increasingly find the practice a lucrative way to fund their criminal activities and take control of villages.
The Associated Press
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Delta issues 21-day ultimatum to unapproved schools

Published

on

By

The Delta State Government has vowed to shut down all unapproved nursery and primary schools across the state.

The measure is being taken “to sanitise the private sector participation in the primary education sector in the state.”

This was contained in a government special announcement signed by the Director of Public Communication/Functioning Permanent Secretary in the State Ministry of Information, Theresa Adiabua Oliko.

Copies were made available to journalists in Warri on Thursday.

Advertisement

The government, however, advised owners of all unapproved primary schools across the state to “upgrade” within the 21-day ultimatum or risk being shut down.

The public announcement partly reads, “It is hereby announced for the information of the public, particularly owners of private nursery and primary schools in Delta State, that the government, pursuance to its responsibility to sanitise the private sector participation in the primary education sector in the state, that all unapproved primary schools in the state are hereby given a 21-day ultimatum to upgrade their infrastructure and formalise their status with the ministry of primary education with immediate effect.

“Failure to comply with this directive will attract severe sanctions, including outright closure of all such schools.

“The 21-day ultimatum has become imperative as a result of the proliferation of unapproved private schools whose poor infrastructural facilities, unqualified teachers and unhealthy operational environment have become worrisome to the state government.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

I’m not behind Elisha Abbo’s sacking from Senate – Akpabio

Published

on

By

The Senate President, Senator Godswill Akpabio on Thursday, berated former lawmaker representing Adamawa North Senatorial District, Elisha Abbo, saying he has no hand in his removal from the National Assembly.

The clarification was made in a statement issued in Abuja by Akpabio’s media aide, Eseme Eyiboh.

Abbo was sacked by the Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja on October 16, 2023.

The judgment delivered by a three-member panel presided over by Justice C.E. Nwosu-Iheme ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission to issue a Certificate of Return to Amos Yohanna of the Peoples Democratic Party as the duly elected lawmaker representing the area at the Senate.

Advertisement

The appellate court vacated the tribunal judgment which had earlier affirmed Abbo of the All Progressives Congress as the winner of the senatorial election.

But speaking on a live programme on Arise Television on Wednesday, Abbo blamed Akpabio for his predicament.

The Adamawa politician also accused the Senate President of running the Red Chamber like an emperor.

This was even as he condemned the suspension of the senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, who is presently battling to retain her mandate.

Advertisement

Reacting, Akpabio said he was shocked to hear Abbo blame him again for his ouster from the Senate barely two years after apologising to him.

He said, “It is sad and regrettable that despite publicly retracting a similar allegation in 2023—after admitting that his earlier accusation was premature and based on the available information at our disposal—Mr. Abbo has once again embarked on a campaign of misinformation and blame transfer.

“Following a discussion with the Senate President last year, Mr. Abbo himself acknowledged that Senator Akpabio had ‘no involvement’ in the judicial process that led to his removal. It is puzzling that he would now return to the same baseless allegations he once renounced.”

Continuing, Akpabio emphasised that it was the court and not him that determined his fate before he was consequently removed.

Advertisement

The former governor asserted that he, therefore, found it illogical and irresponsible that Abbo could turn around and allege that he influenced the judgment that he accepted at the time.

“It is there in the papers (see PUNCH Newspaper of 18th October 2023). Mr Abbo has also sought to create the impression that he was unjustly denied official benefits following his ouster. He claims entitlement to salaries, allowances, and even an official vehicle, despite the court’s declaration that his tenure was null and void ab initio.

“If any of Abbo’s claims for payment did not reach the desk of the Senate President, it is because they failed to meet these lawful standards—not because of any personal or political vendetta. It is unfortunate that instead of accepting the consequences of his legal and political failings, Abbo continues to resort to media theatrics and reckless finger-pointing.

“Akpabio remains focused on the noble task of nation-building, providing purposeful leadership in the Senate, and strengthening democratic institutions—especially the independence of the judiciary. He will not be distracted by the antics of individuals who seek to rewrite history to mask personal failures.

Advertisement

“We urge Mr Abbo to reflect deeply, respect the rule of law, and focus on rebuilding the confidence of his constituents if he hopes to return to public life. Nigeria’s democracy can only thrive when its actors show maturity, responsibility, and an abiding respect for the truth,” the statement added.

Continue Reading

News

NCAA to sanction airlines over deportees maltreatment

Published

on

By

The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority has strongly cautioned international airlines against the increasing complaints from passengers who are transported partway to their destinations, only to be deported back to Nigeria.

The NCAA criticised this practice, emphasising that it has led to considerable distress for passengers and damaged the reputation of Nigeria’s aviation industry.

The NCAA’s Director of Consumer Protection and Public Affairs, Michael Achimugu, announced this in a signed statement on Thursday.

“These actions, which involve the refusal of boarding or denial of entry at intermediate or transit stops due to visa and travel restrictions, are completely unacceptable,” he said.

Advertisement

The NCAA stressed that airlines are responsible for informing passengers of any potential obstacles to their entry before their journey begins.

“Passengers should not be put in a position where they are denied entry or returned to Nigeria only upon arrival at transit stops,” Achimugu added.

Referring to the Nigeria Civil Aviation Regulations 2023 (Part 19.21.1.1), the NCAA reiterated that airlines and their agents are obligated to inform travellers of any potential entry restrictions before departure.

“Airlines must take appropriate measures to screen and provide passengers with accurate, up-to-date information regarding their travel documents and visa requirements before issuing tickets or allowing boarding,” the statement read.

Advertisement

In light of these issues, the NCAA has announced immediate enforcement measures.

“Effective immediately, any airline found engaging in such practices will face regulatory action, including fines, suspension of flight operations, or other penalties deemed appropriate,” Achimugu warned.

“The NCAA expects the cooperation of all airlines in maintaining the integrity and professionalism of the aviation industry, as well as ensuring the wellbeing of Nigerian passengers,” the statement read.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News