Connect with us

News

Deputy Speaker, Kalu Mourns Onyeka Onwenu, Says Nigeria has Lost an Icon

Published

on

 
By Gloria Ikibah 
 
Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rep. Benjamin Okezie Kalu has expressed shock and sadness over the death of iconic singer, songwriter and actress, Onyeka Onwenu.
 
Naijablitznews.com reports that Onwenu reportedly passed on after performing at a birthday party on Tuesday in Lagos.
 
Kalu in a condolence message by his Special Adviser Press Affairs, Udora Orizu, described Onwenu as a rare, incredible talent and one of the pioneers of Nigerian music and entertainment industry. 
 
Recalling her numerous albums and singles which pervades the airwaves decades after, the Deputy Speaker lauded her passion for excellence, and unequalled commitment to her craft.
 
Kalu also commended Onwenu’s artistry in the movies, saying she is also a delight to watch. 
 
He recalled that apart from her career in the arts, Onwenu also had a career in politics, having served as the chairperson of the Imo State Council for Arts and Culture and  Director-General of the National Centre for Women Development.
 
Kalu expressed joy that Onwenu also got her flowers while on earth as she was honored for her contributions to Nigerian society, including being awarded the National Honors of Member of the Order of the Federal Republic (MFR).
 
Saying that the nation has lost an icon, the Deputy Speaker said that Onwenu’s impact and legacy cannot be replicated and she will be missed greatly.
 
Kalu condoled the late singer’s immediate family, the people of Ideato North, Imo State government and the Nigerian Creative Industry, praying to God to grant them the fortitude to bear the loss.
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

JAMB uncovers 142 Kano varsity applicants with fake results

Published

on

By

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has uncovered that out of 148 A-level results presented to Bayero University Kano for Direct Entry admission, only six were valid, leaving 142 results deemed fraudulent.

In a recent weekly bulletin, JAMB revealed that one of the primary objectives of its screening process is to ensure that only legitimate documents are used for admission.

The board further emphasised the responsibility of educational institutions to verify these documents thoroughly.

To combat this issue, JAMB established the Nigeria Integrated Post-Secondary Education Data System two years ago, following concerns raised by Bayero University, Kano.

Advertisement

The university had reported that only six of the 148 results it verified were legitimate, with the remainder being forged.

Through NIPEDS, JAMB was able to detect fraudulent certificates, including those from foreign institutions, used in Direct Entry applications.

Recently, 13 additional fake A-level certificates were uncovered, which had been submitted for consideration by certain institutions.

Some of these institutions had already proposed admission for the candidates based on these fraudulent documents.

Advertisement

The individuals involved have been handed over to law enforcement agencies for prosecution, and JAMB has warned that institutions that accept candidates with fake certificates will be considered accomplices in the fraud.

While NIPEDS plays a crucial role, JAMB stressed that institutions must also carry out their own verification processes to prevent further incidents.

One particularly egregious case involved candidates submitting forged IJMBE results from ABU Zaria in an attempt to gain admission to ABU itself.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Oyo tightens security in preparation for Alaafin’s Saturday coronation

Published

on

By

As the coronation of the 46th Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Akeem Owoade, takes place on Saturday, April 5, 2025, the Oyo State government has put in place heightened security measures, including the deployment of security operatives at strategic locations within the ancient city and surrounding communities.

Oba Owoade, who was presented with the staff of office and instrument of office on Monday, January 13, 2025, at the Governor’s Office in Ibadan, ascends the throne after the late Oba Adeyemi passed away.

The new monarch completed the compulsory 21-day traditional rites known as Oro Ipebi last Saturday, March 29.

The coronation event will take place at Oliveth Baptist High School in Oyo, where Governor Seyi Makinde is expected to lead a host of dignitaries, including notable Nigerians.

Advertisement

Other venues for the event include Ladigbolu Grammar School, Durbar Stadium, the Oba Lamidi Adeyemi Mini Stadium, and the Palace of the Alaafin of Oyo.

Among the dignitaries expected are the former Prime Minister of Canada, Justin Trudea, ambassadors from four different countries, over 200 Oyo indigenes based in Canada, traditional rulers, diplomats, and various government officials.

Security arrangements have been significantly enhanced ahead of the ceremony.

Police vans and other security agency vehicles have been stationed at strategic points across the town, including Owoade, Jabata, Akesan, Isale Oyo, Eleekara, and the School of Survey, among other key areas.

Advertisement

A senior police source confirmed to our correspondent on Thursday that additional personnel have been deployed to the town to prevent any breakdown of law and order during the event.

“The police, in conjunction with other security agencies, are fully prepared to ensure a smooth and trouble-free event,” the source assured.

Meanwhile, local hotels have reported full bookings, with accommodations made for the influx of visitors expected for the coronation.

A hotel manager, who requested to remain anonymous, mentioned, “We have upgraded our facilities to ensure that our guests have a memorable stay. The security agencies have also assured us of adequate protection for our facilities.”

Advertisement

Additionally, reports indicate that the popular Akesan market, along with other nearby markets, will be temporarily closed during the coronation to allow the active participation of local market men and women in the event.

Continue Reading

News

Court dismisses suit against coastal road project

Published

on

By

The Federal High Court in Lagos has struck out a suit by the Okun-Ajah community and other property owners in the Eti-Osa Local Government Area challenging the Lagos-Calabar coastal road project.

Justice Akintayo Aluko ruled that the court lacked jurisdiction to adjudicate on the suit marked FHC/L/CS/1488/2024.

The judge transferred it to the Lagos State High Court as the appropriate court to hear the case.

The plaintiffs are Chief Saheed Olukosi (Akogun of Okun-Ajah Community), Noibi Issa Afolayan, Yussuf Odunuga Sulaiman, Olufemi Fasehun and Adeola Tokunbo, all representing Okun-Ajah Community and other Concerned Property Owners at Okun-Ajah Community.

Advertisement

The defendants/objectors are Minister of Works Dave Umahi, Attorney-General of Lagos, Hitech Construction Limited and other agencies.

The plaintiffs’ through their lawyers, A.O. Ajiboye, Esq, and E. C. Okorie had asked the court to stop the project on several grounds.

But the defendants/objectors prayed the court to strike out the suit for lack of jurisdiction.

Justice Aluko held: “Counsel to the plaintiffs made an alternative submission in his written address urging the court not to strike out this suit if the court finds that it lacks jurisdiction to adjudicate over the case.

Advertisement

“Counsel urged the court to transfer this suit to the State High Court instead of striking out same.

“I agree with counsel on this request as this court possesses the needed power and jurisdiction to accede to such prayer.

“This court is fortified under Section 22(2) of the Federal High Court Act which provides thus: ‘No cause or matter shall be struck out by the court merely on the ground that such cause or matter was taken in the court instead of the High Court of a State or of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja in which it ought to have been brought, and the Judge of the court before whom such cause or matter is brought may cause such use or matter to be transferred to the appropriate High Court of a State or at the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja in accordance with Rules of Court to be made under section 44 of this Act.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News