News
Trump moves to contain fallout of abortion, IVF rows

By Mario Deepromoter
Republican White House nominee Donald Trump sought Friday to contain the blast radius of a fierce backlash over his remarks publicly backing away from right-wing positions on reproductive rights.
The ex-president has been under fire from conservatives over an announcement that in a second term, he would ensure free in vitro fertilization (IVF) — an expensive fertility procedure that many in the anti-abortion movement want to see curbed.
The rift widened as he hit out at his home state Florida’s six-week abortion ban, calling it too restrictive and suggesting he planned to vote for an upcoming ballot measure that would make the procedure legal until a fetus becomes viable.
Trump, 78, walked back the comment ahead of a rally in the battleground state of Pennsylvania on Friday, telling Fox News that “I will be voting no.”
But conservatives had already begun criticizing Trump’s ever-shifting positions on abortion, with a new Republican policy platform dropping calls for a national ban and the tycoon’s recent claim that his government would be “great” for reproductive rights.
The pushback from anti-abortion groups on his latest remarks was swift, with activists warning that he risks alienating his base.
Evangelical theologian Albert Mohler said Trump’s positions appeared “almost calculated to alienate pro-life voters” while conservative commentator Erick Erickson posted that Trump’s abortion stance “will be a bridge too far for too many.”
Trump’s rally, in Johnstown, was notable for the absence of any remarks on reproductive rights, despite Thursday’s big IVF announcement.
The campaign of Democratic candidate Kamala Harris was happy to weigh in on the issue, smelling blood in the water.
“The majority of Americans support abortion access, they support IVF, they support contraception,” Mini Timmaraju, of the Reproductive Freedom for All lobby group, told reporters in a campaign call.
“(Trump) has finally figured it out, and he’ll do anything to distract from his abysmal, horrifying record on this issue.”
– ‘He is pro-life’ –
Trump has been all over the map on abortion in the last 15 years, initially describing himself as “pro-choice” before calling for “some form of punishment” for women seeking the procedure.
He boasts about appointing Supreme Court justices who ended federal protections for abortion access in 2022 but has more recently begun to worry that Republicans are out of step with the majority of voters on reproductive rights.
His IVF pledge appeared calculated to appeal to moderates but will upset conservatives who for years opposed Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act because they were against the redistributive economics of taxpayer-funded health insurance.
Almost every Senate Republican voted against assuring IVF access in a vote in June — including Trump’s running mate J.D. Vance — and more than half of the House Republican lawmakers have sponsored legislation that threatens its legality.
Republicans are divided on fertility treatments such as IVF, with many hailing them as a boost to American families.
Others, with strong beliefs that life begins at conception, oppose IVF because the procedure can produce multiple embryos, not all of which get used.
Abortion rights activists worry that the Supreme Court decision threatens IVF and were given cause by a February ruling in Alabama that frozen embryos could be considered people, causing several clinics to briefly pause treatments.
Yet if the abortion and IVF rows threatened to alienate Trump’s most loyal supporters, rally-goers in Johnstown weren’t showing it.
“It’s not enough to make me not vote for him, no way, because he is pro-life,” said Lisa Davis, a 54-year-old retired office manager from the nearby town of Somerset.
“I know he wants to give some exceptions — and I think there should be.”
“Why should I pay with my tax dollars for a baby getting killed?” added retired nurse Rosemary Drzal, 69.
A fireside chat-style appearance at the conservative pressure group Moms for Liberty later Friday did not touch on the issue.
News
INEC ought to have archived recall petition long ago-Senator Natasha

Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan on Thursday hailed the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for rejecting a petition to recall her as the lawmaker representing Kogi Central Senatorial District.
The lawmaker, who was a guest on Channels Television’s Politics Today, said the electoral umpire should have thrown out the petition long before it did on April 3, 2025.
“I’m a lawyer. I’m a senator and I understand how Nigeria works. For me, the most important thing is this recall process has been stalled.
“I give kudos and credit to INEC even though I believe they should have thrown it away from the get-go.
“I think it was void ab initio because there is no law in the Electoral Act that says a petition should be discarded just because there is no address but again, what if the address is false?”
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftain argued that most of the addresses provided in the petition for her recall were false because most houses in her district weren’t labelled.
Even though INEC did count 208,000 signatures, I bet you if they had gone into the verification stage, they would have struggled to even have 500 people come out to attest to signing that,” she added.
News
We’re putting together new 2025 Budget for Rivers-Ibas

…hosts Delegation Of Rivers NASS Caucus
The Administrator of Rivers State, Vice Admiral (Rtd) Ibok Ete Ekwe Ibas, has said that an appropriation bill for 2025 is being articulated to provide for critical development concerns in healthcare delivery, education, agriculture and infrastructure.
Vice Admiral (Rtd) Ibas also said that the anticipated budget will cater to creating more employment opportunities for Rivers people and advance delivery of technology in critical facets of public life.
The administrator gave the hint when he hosted the delegation of Rivers State caucus at the National Assembly, led by Dr Barinada Mpigi, the Senator representing Rivers South-East District, at Government House in Port Harcourt on Thursday.
Those on the delegation included Senator Allwell Onyesoh, the minority leader of the House of Representatives, Rep. Kingsley Chinda, Hon Dumnamene Dekor, Hon Solomon Bob, Hon Cyril Godwin Hart,
Hon Blessing Amadi, Hon. Felix Nwaeke, Hon Kelechi Nwogu, and Hon Victor Obuzor
Ibas said he has been resolute, since assumption of office, to restore law and order, and with support from the security agencies, an environment has been created where Rivers residents feel valued and safer.
The Administrator stated that the commitment is to make Rivers a model of peace in the comity of States, with a stable economy and citizens courageous to pursue their livelihood without fear or molestation.
“In addition to our peace building efforts, we are also focused on the economic stability and development of Rivers State.
“Since the Supreme Court verdict on the state’s budget, we have acted swiftly and decided to put together a new budget that reflects our commitment to healthcare, education, social services, and continued infrastructural development.
“We have worked diligently to ensure that the process is transparent, inclusive, and most importantly expedited. Our goal is to ensure that we do not lose any more time in making the necessary investments that will improve the lives of citizens.”
Vice Admiral (Rtd) Ibas stated: “The budget which is been finalized focuses on creating job opportunities and investing in key sectors such as agriculture, infrastructure, and technology.
“We understand the urgency of this initiative, and we are committed to ensuring that they are implemented without delay.”
The Administrator noted that to get the task done, the support of the legislators will be required as key representatives of Rivers State in the National Assembly.
He sued for their assistance in securing the necessary resources and legislative backing that would bring the initiative of his administration to fruition.
“Your partnership is critical to success in ensuring that Rivers State remains on the path of progress and enduring peace for future generations.”
He explained that in the face of the challenges that beset Rivers, which led to the State of emergency declared by President Bola Tinubu, dialogue, community engagement and reconciliation were deplored to build trust among the citizenry.
He noted that the people of Rivers State have shown incredible resilience and patience in the efforts taken so far to restore the State back to the path of peace and respect for the law.
Vice Admiral (Rtd) Ibas assured that his administration remains committed to achieving enduring peace for the state.
He said: “Beyond security, we have prioritised community engagements as a central part of our strategy. Dialogue, reconciliation, and inclusivity have been key to building trust among our people.
“We are determined to strengthen the bond of unity in Rivers State and to foster an environment where every citizen feels valued, heard, and respected. Together, we are making strides in ensuring that peace becomes a permanent feature of our state.”
Responding, Senator Barinada Mpigi, representing Rivers South-East District, said they are dedicated representatives of Rivers people at the National Assembly and resolved to support all efforts that will bring development to the State.
While commending the administrator for the modest successes he had achieved so far, Senator Mpigi pledged the support and cooperation of the legislators to ensure the return of the state on the path of law and order.
News
Just in: Shettima jets out to attend Senegal’s independence

Vice President Kashim Shettima has departed Abuja for Dakar, Senegal for official assignment.
The VP is expected to represent President Bola Ahmed Tinubu at the West African nation’s 65th Independence Anniversary celebrations.
Senegal marks its Independence Day on April 4 each year, commemorating its liberation from French colonial rule in 1960.
The annual celebration is a significant event featuring national parades, cultural displays, and ceremonies highlighting the country’s achievements and unity.
A statement issued on Thursday by Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Communications, Office of the Vice President, Stanley Nkwocha, said Shettima’s participation followed an official invitation from Senegalese President, Bassirou Diomaye Faye.
This underscored the strong diplomatic and economic ties between Nigeria and Senegal.
The two nations share longstanding relations, particularly within the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), fostering cooperation on regional security, trade, and development initiatives.
The event is expected to reaffirm Senegal’s commitment to democratic governance and regional cooperation.
Vice President Shettima is scheduled to return to Nigeria immediately after the one-day celebrations, continuing his engagements in national development and diplomatic outreach.
-
News9 hours ago
Natasha: Kogi PDP hammers Ododo, reiterates unfeigned support for her
-
Economy8 hours ago
SEE Black Market Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate Today 3rd April 2025
-
News16 hours ago
Rivers APC demands Fubara’s probe over ex-HoS allegations
-
News4 hours ago
Just in: “Ignore rumour mongers, there was no time I collapsed “-Wike asserts
-
News4 hours ago
CJ transfers Natasha’s case to Justice Nyako
-
News7 hours ago
Just in: INEC dumps recall petition against Sen Natasha
-
Economy17 hours ago
Naira rebounces against the dollar in parallel market
-
News12 hours ago
Just in: Finally, Trump imposes 14% tarriff on Nigeria oil, others