Connect with us

News

Speedy treatment of Tax reform bills is very suspicious’ – Ndume cries out

Published

on

The Senator representing Borno South at the senate, Ali Ndume, has frowned at the rushed passage of the tax reform bills, saying that the hurry by the presidency and some lawmakers to pass the bills looks suspicious.

The tax reform bills which passed for second reading at the Senate on Thursday have triggered controversies since it was sent to the National Assembly by President Bola Tinubu, with Ndume maintaining strongest opposition against the bills.

The National Economic Council also advised President Tinubu to withdraw the bills, but the President said he preferred that they go through the processes.

The lawmaker, while speaking on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Thursday, maintained his position and insisted that it is better for the Presidency to take the advice of the National Economic Council to withdraw the bill.

Advertisement

“It is not that I am totally saying that we should throw away the baby with the bath water, but since the governors who are our leaders, the National Economic Council and many individuals have said that it is not that we should throw away the bills, no.

“Withdraw the bill, do more consultations and then bring the bill again. Why are they in a hurry,” Ndume queried.

Backing up his claim that there is a rush to pass the tax reform bills, Ndume gave an instance of the Petrol Industry Bill which he said is more important than the tax bill, adding that it took years before it was passed.

He recalled that the PIB was introduced to the National Assembly when he was in the House of Representatives, but wasn’t passed until years later when he had moved to the Senate.

Advertisement

The Senator said one of his grouses with the tax reform bills is the timing, noting that such bills shouldn’t be introduced when Nigerians are struggling to survive.

According to him, the opposition to the bills by him and some others is not because people do not want to pay taxes, but the wrong timing.

“I disagree with the timing because Nigerians are struggling to survive. Our forefathers were paying tax, in the North we pay taxes.

“So, it is not like we are running away from tax, we pay taxes, every responsible Nigerian will want to pay tax, but the timing is wrong,” he said.

Advertisement

Ndume, who said the best time to present the bills is when there is no hunger, likened the bills to giving someone something with a right hand and taking it back with the left hand.

He added that his opposition of the bills is because he does not want Tinubu to fail contrary to some insinuations that it is to hurt the President.

News

I’m not behind Elisha Abbo’s sacking from Senate – Akpabio

Published

on

By

The Senate President, Senator Godswill Akpabio on Thursday, berated former lawmaker representing Adamawa North Senatorial District, Elisha Abbo, saying he has no hand in his removal from the National Assembly.

The clarification was made in a statement issued in Abuja by Akpabio’s media aide, Eseme Eyiboh.

Abbo was sacked by the Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja on October 16, 2023.

The judgment delivered by a three-member panel presided over by Justice C.E. Nwosu-Iheme ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission to issue a Certificate of Return to Amos Yohanna of the Peoples Democratic Party as the duly elected lawmaker representing the area at the Senate.

Advertisement

The appellate court vacated the tribunal judgment which had earlier affirmed Abbo of the All Progressives Congress as the winner of the senatorial election.

But speaking on a live programme on Arise Television on Wednesday, Abbo blamed Akpabio for his predicament.

The Adamawa politician also accused the Senate President of running the Red Chamber like an emperor.

This was even as he condemned the suspension of the senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, who is presently battling to retain her mandate.

Advertisement

Reacting, Akpabio said he was shocked to hear Abbo blame him again for his ouster from the Senate barely two years after apologising to him.

He said, “It is sad and regrettable that despite publicly retracting a similar allegation in 2023—after admitting that his earlier accusation was premature and based on the available information at our disposal—Mr. Abbo has once again embarked on a campaign of misinformation and blame transfer.

“Following a discussion with the Senate President last year, Mr. Abbo himself acknowledged that Senator Akpabio had ‘no involvement’ in the judicial process that led to his removal. It is puzzling that he would now return to the same baseless allegations he once renounced.”

Continuing, Akpabio emphasised that it was the court and not him that determined his fate before he was consequently removed.

Advertisement

The former governor asserted that he, therefore, found it illogical and irresponsible that Abbo could turn around and allege that he influenced the judgment that he accepted at the time.

“It is there in the papers (see PUNCH Newspaper of 18th October 2023). Mr Abbo has also sought to create the impression that he was unjustly denied official benefits following his ouster. He claims entitlement to salaries, allowances, and even an official vehicle, despite the court’s declaration that his tenure was null and void ab initio.

“If any of Abbo’s claims for payment did not reach the desk of the Senate President, it is because they failed to meet these lawful standards—not because of any personal or political vendetta. It is unfortunate that instead of accepting the consequences of his legal and political failings, Abbo continues to resort to media theatrics and reckless finger-pointing.

“Akpabio remains focused on the noble task of nation-building, providing purposeful leadership in the Senate, and strengthening democratic institutions—especially the independence of the judiciary. He will not be distracted by the antics of individuals who seek to rewrite history to mask personal failures.

Advertisement

“We urge Mr Abbo to reflect deeply, respect the rule of law, and focus on rebuilding the confidence of his constituents if he hopes to return to public life. Nigeria’s democracy can only thrive when its actors show maturity, responsibility, and an abiding respect for the truth,” the statement added.

Continue Reading

News

NCAA to sanction airlines over deportees maltreatment

Published

on

By

The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority has strongly cautioned international airlines against the increasing complaints from passengers who are transported partway to their destinations, only to be deported back to Nigeria.

The NCAA criticised this practice, emphasising that it has led to considerable distress for passengers and damaged the reputation of Nigeria’s aviation industry.

The NCAA’s Director of Consumer Protection and Public Affairs, Michael Achimugu, announced this in a signed statement on Thursday.

“These actions, which involve the refusal of boarding or denial of entry at intermediate or transit stops due to visa and travel restrictions, are completely unacceptable,” he said.

Advertisement

The NCAA stressed that airlines are responsible for informing passengers of any potential obstacles to their entry before their journey begins.

“Passengers should not be put in a position where they are denied entry or returned to Nigeria only upon arrival at transit stops,” Achimugu added.

Referring to the Nigeria Civil Aviation Regulations 2023 (Part 19.21.1.1), the NCAA reiterated that airlines and their agents are obligated to inform travellers of any potential entry restrictions before departure.

“Airlines must take appropriate measures to screen and provide passengers with accurate, up-to-date information regarding their travel documents and visa requirements before issuing tickets or allowing boarding,” the statement read.

Advertisement

In light of these issues, the NCAA has announced immediate enforcement measures.

“Effective immediately, any airline found engaging in such practices will face regulatory action, including fines, suspension of flight operations, or other penalties deemed appropriate,” Achimugu warned.

“The NCAA expects the cooperation of all airlines in maintaining the integrity and professionalism of the aviation industry, as well as ensuring the wellbeing of Nigerian passengers,” the statement read.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

JAMB uncovers 142 Kano varsity applicants with fake results

Published

on

By

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has uncovered that out of 148 A-level results presented to Bayero University Kano for Direct Entry admission, only six were valid, leaving 142 results deemed fraudulent.

In a recent weekly bulletin, JAMB revealed that one of the primary objectives of its screening process is to ensure that only legitimate documents are used for admission.

The board further emphasised the responsibility of educational institutions to verify these documents thoroughly.

To combat this issue, JAMB established the Nigeria Integrated Post-Secondary Education Data System two years ago, following concerns raised by Bayero University, Kano.

Advertisement

The university had reported that only six of the 148 results it verified were legitimate, with the remainder being forged.

Through NIPEDS, JAMB was able to detect fraudulent certificates, including those from foreign institutions, used in Direct Entry applications.

Recently, 13 additional fake A-level certificates were uncovered, which had been submitted for consideration by certain institutions.

Some of these institutions had already proposed admission for the candidates based on these fraudulent documents.

Advertisement

The individuals involved have been handed over to law enforcement agencies for prosecution, and JAMB has warned that institutions that accept candidates with fake certificates will be considered accomplices in the fraud.

While NIPEDS plays a crucial role, JAMB stressed that institutions must also carry out their own verification processes to prevent further incidents.

One particularly egregious case involved candidates submitting forged IJMBE results from ABU Zaria in an attempt to gain admission to ABU itself.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News