Foreign
Israel, Hamas agree Gaza ceasefire deal to halt 15-month war

Israel and Hamas have reached a ceasefire and hostage release agreement to halt more than a year of fighting in the Gaza Strip, President Biden and Qatar’s prime minister announced separately on Wednesday. The deal comes after a week of intense negotiations mediated by Qatar, the U.S. and Egypt.
“Today, after many months of intensive diplomacy by the United States, along with Egypt and Qatar, Israel and Hamas have reached a ceasefire and hostage deal,” Mr. Biden said in a written statement. “This deal will halt the fighting in Gaza, surge much needed-humanitarian assistance to Palestinian civilians, and reunite the hostages with their families after more than 15 months in captivity.”
Speaking from the White House Wednesday afternoon, Mr. Biden said, “There was no other way for this war to end than with a hostage deal, and I’m deeply satisfied this day has finally come, for the sake of the people of Israel, and for the families waiting in agony, and for the sake of the innocent people in Gaza who suffered unimaginable devastation because of the war.”
He said Americans will be among the hostages released in phase one of the deal, “and the vice president and I cannot wait to welcome them home.”
The deal is expected to take effect Sunday, the White House said.
As news of the agreement broke, crowds gathered in Deir al Bala in Gaza, and celebratory gunfire was heard.
“I’m extremely happy,” one young Palestinian woman in the Gaza city of Khan Younis told CBS News. “The past 15 months I experienced tears, laughters, lost martyrs and people went into prison, but finally I feel the joy.”
“I am very happy, and today is the day I wished to hear about since the beginning of the war,” an elderly man said. “God is sending us hope,” he added.
The ceasefire is not yet in effect, and Israeli airstrikes continued Wednesday in Gaza City and Khan Younis after the news broke.
The families of the American hostages still being held in Gaza expressed their relief at the news of a deal.
“We are deeply grateful that there is finally an agreement between Israel and Hamas to bring our loved ones — Omer, Edan, Sagui, Itay, Keith, Gad, and Judi — home,” the families said in a statement. “We have been waiting for 467 days while our family members suffer from life-threatening injuries, abuse, torture, and sexual violence. We thank President Biden, President-elect Trump, and their teams for their constructive efforts to make this possible.”
A draft of the deal had been agreed to in principle earlier in the week, Arab, U.S. and Israeli officials told CBS News. It sets out a phased framework for a ceasefire and the exchange of hostages still held by Hamas for a larger number of Palestinian prisoners held by Israel. It also includes access for humanitarian aid to Gaza and the eventual ability of Palestinians in Gaza to return to areas they fled.
Intense negotiations had been underway in Doha for the past few weeks, with President Biden’s top Middle East adviser, Brett McGurk, staying in the region for the better part of a month. McGurk has been closely coordinating with President-elect Donald Trump’s pick for special Middle East envoy, Steve Witkoff.
Mr. Biden spoke with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over the phone on Sunday about the negotiations and again on Wednesday. A senior U.S. official described their latest conversation as “a very warm call, marking this moment.”
In Israel, families of the approximately 100 hostages still being held after Hamas’ brutal Oct. 7 2023 attack, which saw the group and allied militants kill about 1,200 people, have been holding regular rallies demanding a negotiated deal for the release of their loved ones. The Israel Defense Forces has said it believes around a third of the hostages have already died.
More than 46,000 Palestinians in Gaza have been killed in Israeli strikes since the war began, according to the Hamas-run Gaza health ministry, and most of Gaza’s population is displaced and living in camps. Humanitarian groups have been struggling to deliver aid, and experts have warned of famine.
What is in the Israel-Hamas ceasefire deal?
Details of the deal are similar to a plan outlined by Mr. Biden last year. The deal is expected to go into effect on Sunday.
According to a draft from mediator sources, viewed by CBS News earlier this week, and Mr. Biden’s description, it would consist of three phases, each lasting about 42 days.
During the first phase, Hamas would release 33 women and children hostages, as well as hostages over 50 years old, the draft viewed by CBS News said. The first phase will also include the withdrawal of all Israeli forces from populated areas of Gaza, Mr. Biden said.
For each woman or child hostage returned to Israel, Israel is expected to release 30 Palestinian women and children from its prisons. Hamas would release all hostages over 50 years of age, and Israel would release 30 Palestinian prisoners aged 50 or older.
A senior Israeli official told CBS News that the release of hostages from Israel would begin on the first day of a 42-day ceasefire period. Mr. Biden said Americans will be among the first wave of hostages released.
On that first day, Hamas would release three hostages, according to the draft viewed by CBS News. On the seventh day, Hamas would release four hostages. Thereafter, Hamas would release three hostages taken from Israel every seven days, starting with the living and then moving on to return the bodies of those who have died.
During the exchange of hostages and prisoners, there would be a complete ceasefire in Gaza to allow aid to enter, the draft viewed by CBS News said. International aid groups and the United Nations would resume operations in Gaza, and would begin reconstruction of the enclave’s infrastructure, such as water, electricity and sewage systems.
The second phase of the deal would involve the release of all remaining male Israeli hostages and the withdrawal of all IDF forces from Gaza, the president announced Wednesday.
The third phase would include the exchange of bodies of deceased hostages and prisoners and the beginning of the reconstruction of Gaza, Mr. Biden said.
Trump responds to ceasefire and hostage release deal
In his remarks, Mr. Biden noted that the deal will largely be implemented after his successor, President-elect Donald Trump, takes office.
“This deal was developed and negotiated under my administration, but its terms will be implemented, for the most part, by the next administration,” the president said. “For these past few days, we’ve been speaking as one team.”
Trump posted on social media as news broke of the hostage and ceasefire agreement.
“This EPIC ceasefire agreement could have only happened as a result of our Historic Victory in November, as it signaled to the entire World that my Administration would seek Peace and negotiate deals to ensure the safety of all Americans, and our Allies,” Trump wrote. “I am thrilled American and Israeli hostages will be returning home to be reunited with their families and loved ones.”
Trump said his special envoy to the Middle East, Steve Witkoff, will continue to work closely with Israel “to make sure Gaza NEVER again becomes a terrorist safe haven.”
“We have achieved so much without even being in the White House,” Trump wrote. “Just imagine all of the wonderful things that will happen when I return to the White House, and my Administration is fully confirmed, so they can secure more Victories for the United States!”
Trump is at his Mar-a-Lago estate Wednesday, with five days to go until he becomes president.
Asked how much credit Trump should get for the deal, White House national security communications adviser John Kirby told CBS News’ Caitlin Huey-Burns: “I would hope we would all move beyond the question of who gets credit. I mean, I don’t think that the hostages are caring about that, and I don’t think their families care about that. I don’t think the Palestinians in Gaza care about who gets credit for this. The truth is that there’s a lot of credit to go around, including in the [Mideast] region.”
Kirby said the Biden administration worked closely with their counterparts on Trump’s team.
“It’s important to remember that this deal was the deal that President Biden negotiated and put on the table back in May, got international support for it. That’s the deal that we’re talking about being implemented here,” Kirby said. “And it was due to a lot of intense diplomacy by American diplomats.”
Foreign
Myanmar Quake Victim Rescued After 5 Days

Rescuers on Wednesday pulled a man alive from the rubble five days after Myanmar’s devastating earthquake, as calls grew for the junta to allow more aid in and halt attacks on rebels.
The shallow 7.7-magnitude earthquake on Friday flattened buildings across Myanmar, killing more than 2,700 people and making thousands more homeless.
Several leading armed groups fighting the government have suspended hostilities during the quake recovery, but junta chief Min Aung Hlaing said military operations would continue — despite international criticism of multiple reported air strikes.
UN agencies, rights groups and foreign governments have urged all sides in Myanmar’s civil war to stop fighting and focus on helping those affected by the quake, the biggest to hit the country in decades.
Hopes of finding more survivors are fading, but there was a moment of joy on Wednesday as a man was pulled alive from the ruins of a hotel in the capital Naypyidaw.
The 26-year-old hotel worker was extracted by a joint Myanmar-Turkish team shortly after midnight, the fire service and junta said.
Dazed and dusty but conscious, the man was pulled through a hole in the rubble and put on a stretcher, video posted on Facebook by the Myanmar Fire Services Department showed.
Call for peace
Min Aung Hlaing said Tuesday that the death toll had risen to 2,719, with more than 4,500 injured and 441 still missing.
But with patchy communication and infrastructure delaying efforts to gather information and deliver aid, the full scale of the disaster has yet to become clear, and the toll is likely to rise.
The World Health Organization (WHO) reported severe damage in the city of Sagaing, citing local rescuers saying one in three houses there have collapsed.
Healthcare facilities, damaged by the quake and with limited capacity, are “overwhelmed by a large number of patients”, while supplies of food, water and medicine are running low, WHO said in an update.
Sagaing has seen some of the heaviest fighting in Myanmar’s civil war, and AFP journalists have not been able to reach the area.
Relief groups say the overall quake response has been hindered by continued fighting between the junta and the complex patchwork of armed groups opposed to its rule, which began in a 2021 coup.
Julie Bishop, the UN special envoy on Myanmar, called on all sides to “focus their efforts on the protection of civilians, including aid workers, and the delivery of life-saving assistance”.
Even before Friday’s earthquake, 3.5 million people were displaced by the fighting, many of them at risk of hunger, according to the United Nations.
Late Tuesday, an alliance of three of Myanmar’s most powerful ethnic minority armed groups announced a one-month pause in hostilities to support humanitarian efforts in response to the quake.
The announcement by the Three Brotherhood Alliance followed a separate partial ceasefire called by the People’s Defence Force — civilian groups that took up arms after the coup to fight junta rule.
But there have been multiple reports of junta air strikes against rebel groups since the quake.
“We are aware that some ethnic armed groups are currently not engaged in combat, but are organising and training to carry out attacks,” said Min Aung Hlaing, mentioning sabotage against the electricity supply.
“Since such activities constitute attacks, the Tatmadaw (armed forces) will continue to carry out necessary defensive activities,” he said in a statement late Tuesday.
But the UN special rapporteur on human rights in Myanmar, Tom Andrews, rejected the junta’s characterisation of its operations.
“Senior General Min Aung Hlaing has described ongoing junta attacks in the midst of Myanmar’s suffering as ‘necessary protective measures’,” he wrote on X.
“They are neither necessary nor protective. They are outrageous and should be condemned in the strongest possible terms by world leaders.”
Rescue teams work to save residents trapped under the rubble of the destroyed Sky Villa Condominium development in Mandalay on March 29, 2025, a day after an earthquake struck central Myanmar. More than 90 people could be trapped inside the crushed remains of an apartment block in Mandalay in central Myanmar destroyed by a devastating earthquake, a Red Cross official told AFP on March 29 as rescuers worked to free the victims. (Photo by Sai Aung MAIN / AFP)
Thailand toll rises
Australia’s government decried the reported air strikes saying they “exacerbated the suffering of the people”.
“We condemn these acts and call on the military regime to immediately cease military operations and allow full humanitarian access to affected areas,” Foreign Minister Penny Wong said.
Amnesty International said “inhumane” military attacks were significantly complicating earthquake relief efforts in Myanmar.
“You cannot ask for aid with one hand and bomb with the other,” said the group’s Myanmar researcher Joe Freeman.
Hundreds of kilometres away, in the Thai capital Bangkok, workers continued to scour through the rubble of a collapsed 30-storey skyscraper.
The structure had been under construction when the earthquake hit and its crash buried dozens of builders — few of whom have come out alive.
The death toll at the site has risen to 22, with more than 70 still believed trapped in the rubble.
AFP
Foreign
Badenoch cautions UK to refrain from retaliating if Trump imposes tariffs

Kemi Badenoch has cautioned Britain against retaliating if Donald Trump imposes new tariffs on UK goods as part of his “liberation day” trade measures.
The Conservative leader stressed that import levies “just make everyone poorer” and urged Labour ministers to push for a “comprehensive” trade deal.
Despite efforts by Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer and Business Secretary Jonathan Reynolds to secure an exemption, UK goods are expected to be hit alongside other global imports.
Badenoch emphasised the need for a deal covering key industries like manufacturing, particularly steel and automotive, warning that tariffs would “severely cripple” these sectors.
“Some people will want us to have trade retaliation, that just makes everyone poorer,” she told LBC. “This is a time for significant diplomacy… the people who will suffer aren’t just our exporters but also the American consumer.”
She dismissed suggestions that the UK should distance itself from the US due to Trump’s policies, stating,
“My view is that we need to stick closely to the US, they are an ally.
“We do not want a world where Nato is fragmented, that is very bad for our national security.
“We need to do what is in our national interest; where we disagree we should say so and I don’t mind people saying where they disagree.
“But I do have a problem with people just criticising for the sake of it when they actually haven’t got a concrete example of what it is that they are talking about in terms of policy. They are expressing their personal views about an individual.
“I haven’t banned anyone from doing so but I don’t think it is right because … having people from another country endlessly criticise your government in the open is not helpful.”
Trump has already announced a 25% import tax on foreign cars, dealing a major blow to the UK auto industry, which exported over 101,000 units worth £7.6 billion to the US last year.
Additionally, new tariffs—potentially including a 20% tax—are set to take effect on April 2, targeting UK products in response to VAT rules Trump views as unfair.
These levies could disrupt the UK’s economic plans, coming shortly after Chancellor Rachel Reeves’ budget cuts aimed at stabilizing public finances.
Foreign
Journalists rally against White House’s decision to modify allocation of seats in briefing room

The White House said Monday it is “seriously considering” taking control of deciding which journalists get seats in the famed briefing room, in the latest bid by President Donald Trump’s administration to exert power over the media.
The 49 spots in the press room, where spokespeople, officials and occasionally the president take the podium, have long been allocated by the non-partisan group of independent journalists, the White House Correspondents Association.
White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt accused the WHCA of trying to maintain a “monetized monopoly over the briefing room.”
“As for switching up seating in the briefing room, it’s something we are seriously considering,” she told Fox News.
“The briefing room is part of the People’s House, it belongs to the American people. It does not belong to elitist journalists here in Washington DC.”
News outlet Axios reported earlier that the White House wanted to take control of the seating chart to give more prime front-of-room spots to new media, and move some legacy outlets further back.
The WHCA, of which AFP is a member, opposed the “wrong-headed” move.
“The reason the White House wants control of the briefing room is the same reason they took control of the pool: to exert pressure on journalists over coverage they disagree with,” WHCA President Eugene Daniels said in a statement.
The WHCA and the White House both said they had tried to broker a meeting on the issue.
It is the latest effort by the White House to shape who covers Trump after taking control from the WHCA in February of the “pool” that covers the president in the Oval Office and when he travels on Air Force One.
The White House has added access to the pool for new and in several cases openly pro-Trump media, while reducing access to mainstream organisations.
It also continues to bar the Associated Press news agency from almost all presidential events as it refuses to refer to the Gulf of Mexico as the “Gulf of America,” the name newly decreed by Trump.
AFP
-
News6 hours ago
Natasha: Kogi PDP hammers Ododo, reiterates unfeigned support for her
-
Economy6 hours ago
SEE Black Market Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate Today 3rd April 2025
-
News13 hours ago
Rivers APC demands Fubara’s probe over ex-HoS allegations
-
News4 hours ago
Just in: INEC dumps recall petition against Sen Natasha
-
News1 hour ago
Just in: “Ignore rumour mongers, there was no time I collapsed “-Wike asserts
-
Economy14 hours ago
Naira rebounces against the dollar in parallel market
-
News9 hours ago
Just in: Finally, Trump imposes 14% tarriff on Nigeria oil, others
-
News6 hours ago
US cancels ex- president ,Nobel Peace Prize winner Oscar Arias visa