News
Finally, Police Deploys 10,000 Constables, Plans 30,000 Annual Recruitment

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa
The 10,000 police constables recruited last year by the Nigeria Police Force passed out of various police colleges, on Thursday, after a six months training.
The inspector general of police, Kayode Egbetokun, disclosed that the new policemen had been posted to their states of origin for community policing.
He added that the Force was targeting 30,000 annual recruitment in line with President Bola Tinubu’s approval.
At the Passing Out Parade at the Police Training School, Bauchi, on Thursday, Egbetokun, said the new personnel would boost the Nigeria police capacity, saying that they had been deployed to their states of origin for community policing.
The IG, who was represented by the Commissioner of Police, Bauchi State Police Command, Auwal Muhammad, tasked the 10,000 new constables to adhere to professionalism, fairness and friendliness in the discharge of their duties.
The IG explained that the passing out exercise was taking place at 04 premier colleges and 12 Police Training Schools nationwide.
He said, “The exercise marks the culmination of a six-month rigorous training programme that has pushed the recruits to their physical and intellectual limits.
“Today’s Passing-Out Parade signifies a pivotal transition for these individuals, as they formally assume their roles as professional police officers, leaving their civilian status behind and embarking on a career of service and duty.”
Egbetokun maintained that in the course of their training, the constables had been instilled with the necessary orientation to effectively address the complex security challenges facing the country while adhering to the principles of the law.
The IG said, “Our comprehensive and research-based curriculum has equipped them with fundamental policing ethics, norms, and practices, as well as modern law enforcement principles.
“We have high expectations for this graduating class of constables, and we are confident that they will uphold the values imparted to them during their training, thereby contributing to the enhancement of law enforcement in our country.
“The President’s approval for the annual recruitment of 30,000 police constables over the next few years is expected to strengthen our internal security, enhance police performance, and promote optimal police service delivery nationwide,” Egbetokun added.
He emphasised his commitment to driving the President’s Renewed Hope Agenda towards transforming the Nigeria Police Force into a reformed, well-positioned, and capable institution that effectively fulfils its internal security mandate.
He disclosed that a significant majority of the newly graduated police constables had been posted in their states of origin under community policing.
He noted that the strategic deployment aimed to augment ongoing law enforcement efforts and reinforce the fight against crime at the grassroots level.
“I am confident that these new officers will demonstrate exceptional professionalism, integrity, and dedication to service, thereby upholding the honour and prestige of the Police Force.
“Your role demands empathy and compassion towards the civilian population, particularly the vulnerable while maintaining firmness and fairness in all interactions.
“Strive to be perceived as a friend and partner to the public, inspiring hope and confidence in the security apparatus.
“Remember that the uniform you wear and the office you hold is a symbol of trust and responsibility, never to be exploited for intimidation, harassment, or perversion of justice.
“Abhor all forms of lawlessness, human rights abuse, and unprofessional conduct. Instead, utilize your authority to protect citizens, enforce laws, and apprehend criminals.”
News
INEC ought to have archived recall petition long ago-Senator Natasha

Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan on Thursday hailed the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for rejecting a petition to recall her as the lawmaker representing Kogi Central Senatorial District.
The lawmaker, who was a guest on Channels Television’s Politics Today, said the electoral umpire should have thrown out the petition long before it did on April 3, 2025.
“I’m a lawyer. I’m a senator and I understand how Nigeria works. For me, the most important thing is this recall process has been stalled.
“I give kudos and credit to INEC even though I believe they should have thrown it away from the get-go.
“I think it was void ab initio because there is no law in the Electoral Act that says a petition should be discarded just because there is no address but again, what if the address is false?”
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftain argued that most of the addresses provided in the petition for her recall were false because most houses in her district weren’t labelled.
Even though INEC did count 208,000 signatures, I bet you if they had gone into the verification stage, they would have struggled to even have 500 people come out to attest to signing that,” she added.
News
We’re putting together new 2025 Budget for Rivers-Ibas

…hosts Delegation Of Rivers NASS Caucus
The Administrator of Rivers State, Vice Admiral (Rtd) Ibok Ete Ekwe Ibas, has said that an appropriation bill for 2025 is being articulated to provide for critical development concerns in healthcare delivery, education, agriculture and infrastructure.
Vice Admiral (Rtd) Ibas also said that the anticipated budget will cater to creating more employment opportunities for Rivers people and advance delivery of technology in critical facets of public life.
The administrator gave the hint when he hosted the delegation of Rivers State caucus at the National Assembly, led by Dr Barinada Mpigi, the Senator representing Rivers South-East District, at Government House in Port Harcourt on Thursday.
Those on the delegation included Senator Allwell Onyesoh, the minority leader of the House of Representatives, Rep. Kingsley Chinda, Hon Dumnamene Dekor, Hon Solomon Bob, Hon Cyril Godwin Hart,
Hon Blessing Amadi, Hon. Felix Nwaeke, Hon Kelechi Nwogu, and Hon Victor Obuzor
Ibas said he has been resolute, since assumption of office, to restore law and order, and with support from the security agencies, an environment has been created where Rivers residents feel valued and safer.
The Administrator stated that the commitment is to make Rivers a model of peace in the comity of States, with a stable economy and citizens courageous to pursue their livelihood without fear or molestation.
“In addition to our peace building efforts, we are also focused on the economic stability and development of Rivers State.
“Since the Supreme Court verdict on the state’s budget, we have acted swiftly and decided to put together a new budget that reflects our commitment to healthcare, education, social services, and continued infrastructural development.
“We have worked diligently to ensure that the process is transparent, inclusive, and most importantly expedited. Our goal is to ensure that we do not lose any more time in making the necessary investments that will improve the lives of citizens.”
Vice Admiral (Rtd) Ibas stated: “The budget which is been finalized focuses on creating job opportunities and investing in key sectors such as agriculture, infrastructure, and technology.
“We understand the urgency of this initiative, and we are committed to ensuring that they are implemented without delay.”
The Administrator noted that to get the task done, the support of the legislators will be required as key representatives of Rivers State in the National Assembly.
He sued for their assistance in securing the necessary resources and legislative backing that would bring the initiative of his administration to fruition.
“Your partnership is critical to success in ensuring that Rivers State remains on the path of progress and enduring peace for future generations.”
He explained that in the face of the challenges that beset Rivers, which led to the State of emergency declared by President Bola Tinubu, dialogue, community engagement and reconciliation were deplored to build trust among the citizenry.
He noted that the people of Rivers State have shown incredible resilience and patience in the efforts taken so far to restore the State back to the path of peace and respect for the law.
Vice Admiral (Rtd) Ibas assured that his administration remains committed to achieving enduring peace for the state.
He said: “Beyond security, we have prioritised community engagements as a central part of our strategy. Dialogue, reconciliation, and inclusivity have been key to building trust among our people.
“We are determined to strengthen the bond of unity in Rivers State and to foster an environment where every citizen feels valued, heard, and respected. Together, we are making strides in ensuring that peace becomes a permanent feature of our state.”
Responding, Senator Barinada Mpigi, representing Rivers South-East District, said they are dedicated representatives of Rivers people at the National Assembly and resolved to support all efforts that will bring development to the State.
While commending the administrator for the modest successes he had achieved so far, Senator Mpigi pledged the support and cooperation of the legislators to ensure the return of the state on the path of law and order.
News
Just in: Shettima jets out to attend Senegal’s independence

Vice President Kashim Shettima has departed Abuja for Dakar, Senegal for official assignment.
The VP is expected to represent President Bola Ahmed Tinubu at the West African nation’s 65th Independence Anniversary celebrations.
Senegal marks its Independence Day on April 4 each year, commemorating its liberation from French colonial rule in 1960.
The annual celebration is a significant event featuring national parades, cultural displays, and ceremonies highlighting the country’s achievements and unity.
A statement issued on Thursday by Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Communications, Office of the Vice President, Stanley Nkwocha, said Shettima’s participation followed an official invitation from Senegalese President, Bassirou Diomaye Faye.
This underscored the strong diplomatic and economic ties between Nigeria and Senegal.
The two nations share longstanding relations, particularly within the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), fostering cooperation on regional security, trade, and development initiatives.
The event is expected to reaffirm Senegal’s commitment to democratic governance and regional cooperation.
Vice President Shettima is scheduled to return to Nigeria immediately after the one-day celebrations, continuing his engagements in national development and diplomatic outreach.
-
News11 hours ago
Natasha: Kogi PDP hammers Ododo, reiterates unfeigned support for her
-
Economy11 hours ago
SEE Black Market Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate Today 3rd April 2025
-
News18 hours ago
Rivers APC demands Fubara’s probe over ex-HoS allegations
-
News6 hours ago
Just in: “Ignore rumour mongers, there was no time I collapsed “-Wike asserts
-
News6 hours ago
CJ transfers Natasha’s case to Justice Nyako
-
News9 hours ago
Just in: INEC dumps recall petition against Sen Natasha
-
Economy19 hours ago
Naira rebounces against the dollar in parallel market
-
News14 hours ago
Just in: Finally, Trump imposes 14% tarriff on Nigeria oil, others