Connect with us

News

SAD! D£ath Toll In Enugu Explos!on Stands At 11

Published

on

….as eyewitnesses Claim Around 70 D£ad, 11 Vehicles B√rnt

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa

A horrific fuel tanker explosion occurred in Enugu State, Nigeria, on Saturday, resulting in the loss of many lives.

The tragic incident occurred at the Ugwu Onyeama, along Enugu- Onitsha expressway, when a fuel-laden tanker experienced brake failure while navigating the hilly road.

Advertisement

Recall that scores of people had been reportedly burnt to death in a petrol tanker accident that occurred at Ugwu Onyama Federal Highway on Saturday morning.

Also, several others were reportedly injured in the inferno which destroyed several vehicles.

SaharaReporters which visited the scene of the unfortunate incident learned that the petrol tanker which was going down to Enugu City, had a brake failure while descending the hilly road.

The tanker driver lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a water tanker belonging to JUHEL Nigeria Limited, which was going to 9th Mile to get water, causing a massive explosion that destroyed everything in its path.

Advertisement

The fire, which raged for a considerable distance of about 14 poles, engulfed 11 vehicles, killing their occupants. The Federal Road Safety Corps reported an official death toll of 11, though eyewitnesses estimated that the number of casualties was much higher.

They estimated that in tanker trucks – two people died; water tanker -one person; Toyota Camry – four persons; two Sienna buses – 16; a tricycle – four; Lexus – six; commuter bus – 19; minibus – eight; and L300 bus -14.

The drivers of the lowbed truck carrying an excavator and a Mack truck survived the accident without any injuries. Witnesses described the blast as devastating, with many victims burned beyond recognition.

An eyewitness, a tanker driver, who gave his name as Eziechina revealed that the tragic incident claimed so many lives.

Advertisement

He said some others who were injured have been taken to nearby hospitals.

He said, “Yes, there was a big tragedy this afternoon at Ugwu Onyama Federal Highway. A tanker carrying premium motor spirit (PMS), otherwise known as petrol, fell at the hilly road and spilled the product down the road. Unfortunately, it caught fire and all the vehicles plying the road at the time caught fire and burned people beyond recognition.

“As I am speaking with you, over 10 people including children have been burnt beyond recognition. Some have just been loaded in a pick-up van to the morgue now. So many others have been loaded in a vehicle and taken to a morgue earlier. As we speak, there’s no road through Ugwu Onyama.

I am trapped somewhere in Ngwo. The situation is tragic. The second lane of the road is impassable. The fire raged along the road leading to Agu-abor tunnel.”

Advertisement

He lamented that rescue efforts were hindered by the intensity of the fire, making it challenging for bystanders to access the scene.

“Even two persons who came out of their vehicle thinking they could escape were caught in the fire and were burned to death.”

Meanwhile, a Federal Road Safety Corps officer who spoke to our reporter at the scene estimated that 99% of the victims were burned to ashes, making it difficult to determine the exact number of fatalities.

The road safety official said: “What we are doing now as you can see is that we are counting the number of the vehicles, their type and calculate the casualty figures based on the seating number.”

Advertisement

He added, “From my figure so far, nine vehicles were burned beyond recognition in addition to the tanker and water truck it collided with, making it 11 vehicles. A Mack truck was partially burned and nobody died in it. The lowbed truck carrying excavator was burned but luckily enough the driver escaped.”

According to him, “Looking at the vehicles, this is Toyota Camry, it carries four passengers and driver that is five; Sienna bus carries seven passengers and driver making it eight and we have two Sienna buses involved. We have a tricycle, which carries three passengers and with the driver, that makes it four; a Lexus vehicle involved; the relations of the occupants came and they were six in the vehicle.”

“We also have a commuter bus carrying mainly women from Nsukka and a bus normally carries 18 passengers and driver. The bus loaded passengers in Nsukka. We have a minibus and it carries seven passengers and a driver. We have L300 bus. Normally, it is a 14-seater bus and when you include the driver, the number will be 15. So you can calculate the figure. The lowbed truck carrying excavator and Mack truck; both drivers survived the incident,” he said.

The tragedy has sparked calls for the federal government to prioritise alternative transportation methods, such as railways and pipelines, to reduce the risks associated with tanker delivery systems.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, the Enugu State government has said that 11 persons died in the incident, while noting that Governor Peter Mbah has expressed sadness over the accident.

In a statement by the Governor’s media office, the governor spoke when he visited the scene for on-the-spot assessment.

According to the statement, the government has already swung into action to ensure that the victims receive full medical attention, while also taking steps to forestall future occurrences, including enforcement of road rules and fixing the part of the federal road in disrepair.

Describing the accident as unfortunate, Mbah commiserated with the families of the victims.

Advertisement

He further directed the Federal Road Safety Commission’s Sector Commander, Enugu, Mr Franklin Agbakoba, and the State Commissioner for Transport, Mr Obi Ozor, to ensure that all tankers conveying inflammable substances in the state have anti-spill lock that will prevent spill in case of accident.

“This is an accident involving a tanker that preliminary investigation shows may have had a brake failure, fell down, had its product, premium motor spirit spill from the tank and ignited. So, this is for us a tragedy where we have some casualties.

“But as I said, investigation is still at preliminary stages. The police and other law enforcement agencies are on it. We want to get to the root of this for us to understand the true cause of the accident.

“In the meantime, we have moved those that are in need of treatment to the hospitals for full medical attention. My Commissioner for Health and also my Special Adviser on Health, the Chief Medical Director of the Enugu State University of Science and Technology Teaching Hospital (ESUTTH), Parklane, Enugu, the police, and Federal Road Safety Corps are all involved. They have my instruction to ensure that maximum medical attentions were given to the survivors,” the governor stated.

Advertisement

Continuing, he stated, “But we’re also taking quick measures as a government.

” I have just been speaking the head of the Federal Road Safety Corps to make sure they enforce the rules that prohibit tanker drivers from the road without an anti-spill lock. Tankers conveying premium motor spirit and inflammable products must have an anti-spill lock to ensure that when these trucks fall down, they do not spill (their content). It is very important.

“Also, for us as a government, we are going to be looking at how we can deploy some traffic rules to ensure that we do not have a recurrence of this.

“We are obviously not going to wait for the federal government to fix the other section of the road. We as government are going to take steps to ensure that whatever needs to be done on that section of the federal road is done immediately so we would never want a reoccurrence of this.”

Advertisement

While briefing the governor on some of the preliminary investigation conducted by the FRSC. Its Sector Commander for Enugu explained that the tanker spill was caused by a brake failure.

He added that 11 people lost their lives at the scene, adding that injured road users were rushed to the hospital for treatment.

He thanked the governor for showing leadership by rushing to the scene and equally undertaking to foot the medical bills

Advertisement

News

US cancels ex- president ,Nobel Peace Prize winner Oscar Arias visa

Published

on

By

A former president of Costa Rica, Oscar Arias, says his US visa has been revoked.

Arias, a Nobel laureate, said he was informed of the decision weeks after he had publicly criticised Donald Trump, comparing the behaviour of the US president to that of a Roman emperor.

The 84-year-old, who was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his role in brokering an end to conflicts in Central America, said US authorities had given no explanation.

Arias hinted, however, that it may be due to his rapprochement with China during the time he was president from 2006 to 2010.

Advertisement

Speaking at a news conference in the Costa Rican capital, San José, Arias said he had “no idea” what the reason for the cancellation was.

He said he had received a “terse” email “of a few lines” from the US government informing him of the decision.

He added that he thought that it was not President Trump but the US State Department, which had taken the decision.

While he said it would be conjecture on his part to speculate about the reason behind the visa revocation, he did point out that “I established diplomatic relations with China.

Advertisement

“That, of course, is known throughout the world,” he told journalists of his 2007 decision to cut ties with Taiwan and establish them with China instead.

The Trump administration has sought to oppose China’s influence in the Western hemisphere and has accused a number of Central American governments of cosying up to the Chinese government and Chinese companies.

However, it has been supportive of the current Costa Rican President, Rodrigo Chaves, praising his decision to exclude Chinese firms from participating in the development of 5G in Costa Rica.

But this perceived closeness between President Chaves and the US was criticised by Arias, who wrote a post on social media in February saying that “it has never been easy for a small country to disagree with the US government, less so when its president behaves like a Roman emperor, telling the rest of the world what to do”.

Advertisement

He added that “during my governments, Costa Rica never received orders from Washington as if we were a banana republic.”

Arias is not the only Costa Rican to have had his US visa revoked. Three members of the country’s national assembly who opposed President Chaves’s decree to exclude Chinese companies from participating in the development of 5G have also had theirs cancelled. [BBC]

Continue Reading

News

Natasha: Kogi PDP hammers Ododo, reiterates unfeigned support for her

Published

on

By

…says state govt’s attempts to silence opposition won’t stand

…calls on IGP to immediately release detained members

Following the desperate, despicable and perfidious attempts by the Kogi state Government to gag, and hound opposition parties through the restrictions on rallies, convoy movements, and similar solidarity activities across the state, Kogi state chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP) has roundly criticized, and totally condemned such moves.

Arising from the state Exco meeting, held Tuesday, April 1st, 2025, the PDP, having done proper analysis of the situation, believes that the move is targeted at Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan.

Advertisement

This was contained in a statement signed by Alhaji Umoru Tijani Aruwa State Publicity Secretary
Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP) further declaring that:

“Obviously afraid of our highly performing, and resourceful Senator, the state government had to resort to jittery, fearful, and incongrous instructions which are glaring infringement on her fundamental rights to freedom of movement and association.

“The undemocratic actions which have the tone, tenor, and texture of autocratism and despotism was clearly targeted at preventing Kogi state’s (and Nigeria’s) legislative amazon from meeting her constituents who organized the home-coming for her.

“It is highly shameful, preposterous, and cynical that the state government in their failed attempt to silence Akpoti-Uduaghan, effected the arrest of some officials and key personalities of our party in Kogi Central District; days before the event. From reports, many party faithful across the five LGAs that make up the District suffered varied degrees of harassment, intimidation, and coercion. Indeed, there were inglorious, and shameless attempts by alleged agents of the state government to induce some of our party members. But, all these desperate moves failed, comprehensively!

Advertisement

“Happily, all these tongue-follery attempts, ludicrous activities, and wanton shenanigans failed woefully; as the constituents and supporters, across all political parties thronged out in their numbers to solidarize and re-enact their support for Akpoti-Uduaghan.

” The visit, has once again shown that the people of Kogi Central District are not only with but also identify with her despite attempts to silence her progressive and patriotic voice by few, privileged individuals in the Senate, and collaborators in Kogi state.

“Given the outpouring of love, commendation, and eulogies extended by the people to Akpoti-Uduaghan at the event, irrespective of the numerous bobby-traps and devilish bottlenecks orchestrated by the APC government in Kogi, it clearly shows that the constituents are at home with their daughter. That the tumultuous gathering, which was organic defied all man-made encumbrances to proudly identify with her, and pass resounding confidence-vote on Akpoti-Uduaghan has rubbished every earlier plans by the Kogi state government to put forward wrong narratives about the Senatorial District.

“While we strongly urge the state government to allow the freedom of speech, movement, and association to fully thrive; without let or hate amongst the people of Kogi, we appeal that every dictatorial actions, and totalitarian tendencies that are capable of truncating democratic ethos must be put away by the present administration in the state.

Advertisement

“As a party, the Kogi state PDP chapter, declares unequivocal support, and stands; firmly without reservations with Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan. We also reiterate that the good people of Kogi state will continue to show utmost solidarity with her, as she forges ahead in her fight against abuse, harassment, intimidation, and segregation.

“The PDP commend the courage, doggedness, and sacrifices of the people of Kogi Central District who defied all odds to attend the home-coming event, and have also remained consistent and resolute in their respective and collective support for Akpoti-Uduaghan. Be assured that we have resolved; as always to stand with you, all.

“Finally, we call on the Inspector-General of Police, the leadership of all relevant security agencies to ensure the immediate release of all our party members that were unlawfully arrested under nebulous, and spurious guises by the state government.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Just in: Finally, Trump imposes 14% tarriff on Nigeria oil, others

Published

on

By

The United States President Donald Trump has announced sweeping global tariffs on all imports into the country, slamming 14 percent on Nigeria.

According to 2023 data published by Observatory of Economic Complexity (OEC), Nigeria exported $6.29 billion to US.

The main exports were crude Petroleum ($4.73 billion), Petroleum gas ($920 million), and nitrogenous fertilisers ($167 million).

Over the past five years, according to OEC, Nigeria’s exports to the US have increased at an annualised rate of 1.59 percent, from $5.81 billion in 2018 to $6.29 billion in 2023.

Advertisement

Stocks had closed higher before Trump’s announcement but later buckled under the weight of the new order, disrupting business decisions and raising fears of a global trade war.

Trump said he was optimistic the numbers would improve, maintaining that the decision was critical for America’s restoration as the world’s sole superpower.
After delivering his speech, Trump signed the decision as an executive order.

The executive order imposes a “baseline” 10 percent tariff on all imports as well as individualised reciprocal tariff rates on over 60 countries.
He told foreign leaders “who will soon be calling to ask for exemptions from these tariffs” to drop theirs first.

Parts of the order had different implementation timelines, with some beginning as early as in a few hours.
“Effective at midnight, we will impose a 25-percent tariff on all foreign-made automobiles,” Trump noted.

Advertisement

The “baseline” 10 percent tariff would start on April 5, while higher rates on various partners would begin on April 9.

According to the US government, Nigeria charges 27 percent tariffs to the US. The report included currency manipulation and trade barriers as contributors to the amount.

In retaliation, Trump imposed a 14 percent retaliatory tariff on Nigeria.
Countries like China and Mexico already grappling with previously imposed tariffs were hit with additional rates.
Here are the country-specific tariff rates:
China –34 percent
India — 26 percent
South Korea — 25 percent
Japan — 24 percent
Taiwan — 32 percent
United Kingdom — 10 percent
Vietnam — 46 percent
Switzerland — 31 percent
Cambodia — 49 percent
South Africa — 30 percent
Indonesia — 32 percent
Brazil — 10 percent
Singapore — 10 percent

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News