Connect with us

News

How driver handed abducted Oyo NYSC member to k!dnappers

Published

on

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa

Aminat Lawal, the sister of the abducted National Youth Service Corps member, Rofiat Lawal, who was kidnapped along the Benin-Ore Expressway on Tuesday, has disclosed that her sister was handed over to the abductors who were suspected Fulanis by the driver conveying them.

Aminat disclosed this in an exclusive interview with PUNCH Metro on Thursday.

PUNCH Metro reports that Rofiat was abducted by yet-to-be-identified kidnappers while returning to her Place of Primary Assignment in Oyo State.

Advertisement

A friend of the victim identified as Agbakwara, who raised the alarm about Rofiat’s kidnap in a post on Facebook on Wednesday, noted that the abductors were demanding the sum of N20m for her release.

Agbakwara wrote, “My close friend, Lawal Rofiat Kofoworola, was kidnapped on her way from Benin to Ibadan to resume her PPA in Ogbomosho. She managed to call on Thursday and told me she was on an Ore-bound bus when she was taken.

“This is someone who has struggled all her life, supporting herself through university by working at the Dufil company in Benin. Now, kidnappers are demanding N20 million, and we don’t know what to do. Her parents are less privileged and can’t afford this.

“I have reported to the NYSC Secretariat in Ibadan and dropped her call-up number, but there has been no response. We are exhausted and desperate for help.”

Advertisement

Speaking with our correspondent, Aminat disclosed that her sister narrated that the driver conveying them from Benin stopped at Ore where the kidnappers came out from a nearby bush and took them while the driver zoomed off.

She narrated that when the kidnappers contacted them, they demanded N25m ransom for her release, which they pleaded they could not pay, but after several back and forth, they lowered the demand to N5m.

Aminat said, “She contacted us on Tuesday to tell us that she was kidnapped and she said that the driver of the car she boarded was the one who dropped them at the spot where she was kidnapped alongside other passengers.

“When we spoke with the kidnappers, they asked us to bring N25m and we told them that we did not have such money. She is the one who sponsored herself in school. They have reduced the ransom to N5m.”

Advertisement

Meanwhile, the family had resorted to crowdfunding to raise the ransom as requested by the abductors.

In a follow-up conversation with Agbakwara, on Thursday, he noted that the family had resorted to crowdfunding to raise the ransom demanded by the abductors while corroborating the claim that the abducted corper was handed over to her abductors by the driver.

“This evening, the kidnappers allowed my friend and the other victims to call their families. She told me in tears that they were handed over to the Fulani kidnappers after the vehicle they were in dropped them off and drove away. They are all female and have been suffering without food since they were taken.

“The kidnappers are demanding N20m, but she begged that we help raise any amount at all to begin negotiations. She has already spent two days in captivity, and we don’t know what will happen next. We are scared and desperate for help.

Advertisement

Please, Nigerians, any amount you can donate will go a long way. We can’t wait any longer. Let’s come together and help bring her back safely,” Agbakwara said.

The Oyo State NYSC Coordinator, Odoba Abel Oche, who confirmed the incident in a telephone conversation with our correspondent earlier on Thursday, noted that the victim had left Oyo State for Edo State without notifying the state’s NYSC leadership.

He stressed that security operatives had been alerted to the situation for necessary action while saying that he was not aware if any ransom had been requested by the abductors.

“Her parents reported the incident to us yesterday. We were not aware of the incident before her parents reported it.

Advertisement

“We have contacted the national headquarters, the Ondo and Edo NYSC and we have also alerted security agencies for necessary action. I am not aware if the kidnappers have reached out to demand ransom.

“She went home to Benin without informing the NYSC authority against the instruction of the NYSC. The NYSC has continued to emphasise to corps members the need to always notify the authorities before they travel and to also avoid night travels,” Oche said.

Efforts to get the reaction of the Ondo Police Public Relations Office, Odunlami, proved abortive as she had yet to respond to calls made to her line as at the time of filing this report.

There are growing concerns over the renewed surge in kidnapping which has left no fewer than five other persons captive in the last two weeks.

Advertisement

On February 17, some gunmen kidnapped the National President of the Afenifere Youth Council, Eniola Ojajuni, in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory.

Similarly, four female students of the Joseph Sarwuan Tarka University, Makurdi, Benue State were abducted on the university’s campus by yet-to-be-identified gunmen on Tuesday.

PUNCH Metro reported in July 2024 that some abducted corps members from Ondo State said the family of each of the victims paid a sum of N1 million before they were set free.

The five victims, who include four corps members and one artisan, were kidnapped by the bandits at about 11 pm at Omi Alafa Village in Ifon, Ose Local Government Area, and dragged the victims into the forest.

Advertisement

The corps members were said to be going back home after the three-week National Youth Service Corps Orientation camp in Enugu and Abia States. It was gathered that the driver and one passenger sitting in front of the vehicle were shot dead by the bandits

PUNCH

News

SAD! Woman Reportedly Poisons Boyfriend To D3ath For Cheating On Her

Published

on

By

…conceals Body Under Bed

A young woman allegedly poisoned her boyfriend to d3ath for cheating on her in Iyo Polo community, Marine Base, Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

It was gathered that after k!lling the deceased, she hid his body under the bed inside his room for three days.

According to local reports, residents of the area became suspicious after noticing a foul odor emanating from the victim’s residence.

Advertisement

Concerned neighbors attempted to reach the deceased but received no response.

Their suspicions grew when they observed the suspect acting strangely and refusing entry into the apartment.

Upon notifying law enforcement, officers arrived at the scene and forced their way into the room, where they discovered the decomposing body of the victim.

The suspect was immediately arrested and taken into police custody for further investigation.

Advertisement

Authorities have yet to release an official statement regarding the motive behind the alleged m8rder.

However, preliminary findings suggest that the incident may have stemmed from a domestic dispute.

Continue Reading

News

Protesters call for suspension of FUOYE VC over alleged sexual harassment

Published

on

By

A group of protesters have converged on the Federal Ministry of Education in Abuja, calling for the suspension of Professor Abayomi Fasina as Vice-Chancellor of the Federal University, Oye-Ekiti (FUOYE), to allow proper investigation into sexual harassment allegation.

Protesters armed with placards-bearing slogans such as ‘Ekiti Deserves Better’ and ‘Protect Our Women,’ argued that the Vice-Chancellor cannot remain in office while facing investigation for sexual harassment allegations.

The embattled VC has been under investigations over allegations made in a leaked voice note regarding a sexual harassment case against one of his married subordinates.

Speaking to journalists after submitting a petition to the Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, the leader of the protesters under the aegis of Coalition of Civil Society Organisations Against Corruption, Victor Adetola, said suspending the VC would give room for thorough investigations into the matter.

Advertisement

Adetola said: “We have looked at the developing story that has been going on in that university as an organisation that is fronting for the welfare of Nigerian students and the community or the educational community generally.

“The issue will be festering if there is no thorough investigation, and we need that place to be sanitised. Honestly, currently there is a disciplinary action investigation that is going on that was first given a three-week ultimatum.

“After that, they requested for another three weeks ultimatum, even inclusive of the governing council. And for the past six months, nothing has been done. We see that a lot of undiagnosed, a lot of corruption has been festering.

“In fact, one of the most critical issues happening is the sexual harassment that has happened to one of the married assistant directors in that school.

Advertisement

“Specifically, it’s necessary that the leader of the university steps down first, or the governing council relieves him of that position first, so that independent investigation can be carried out on all the petitions that we have written.”

Continue Reading

News

NJC, NBA raises concerns as Uzodimma names Nzeukwu Imo’s acting Chief Judge

Published

on

By

The National Judicial Council (NJC) has distanced itself from the purported appointment by Governor Hope Uzodinma of Justice Theophilus Nnamdi Nzeukwu as the acting Chief Judge of Imo State.

The NJC, in a statement by its Deputy Director (Information), Mrs. Kemi Ogendengbe said it was yet to consider a request by Uzodinma to appoint Justice Nzeukwu, who is currently number four in the hierarchy of judges’ seniority in Imo State High Court.

The statement reads: “The attention of the council has been drawn to the news making rounds that the Governor of Imo State, His Excellency, Senator Hope Uzodimma, CON, had purportedly appointed Hon. Justice Theophilus Nnamdi Nzeukwu, who is number four in the hierarchy of judges seniority in Imo State High Court, as the acting Chief Judge of the state, in view of the recent disciplinary action taken against the erstwhile Chief Judge of the state.

“The National Judicial Council, by this press release, wants to clarify to the public that the Governor of Imo State had earlier written to the council requesting for its approval to appoint Hon. Justice Theophilus Nnamdi Nzeukwu, who is number four in the hierarchy of seniority as acting Chief Judge of the state.

Advertisement

“The governor in his said correspondence to the council, gave reasons why in his own view, the three most senior judges are not appointable.

“The council is informing the public that the said letter is yet to be considered, as deliberation on the request is slated for the next council meeting, which is scheduled to hold on 29th and 30th April, 2025.

“The council is therefore, by this press release, informing the public that the governor’s request is yet to be considered by the council.

“The council has not given approval to the governor for the appointment of the acting Chief Judge.

Advertisement

“The council is not a party to the process of the purported appointment of Hon. Justice Theophilus Nnamdi Nzeukwu as the acting Chief Judge.”

The NJC had, at its 107th meeting held between November 13 and 14, 2024 recommended the compulsory retirement of the then Chief Judge of Imo State, Justice T. E. Chukwuemeka Chikeka over alleged age falsification.

It said Justice Chikeka was recommended to the Imo State Governor for compulsory retirement with effect from October 27, 2021, with all salaries and allowances the judge received in excess from the said date refunded to the council.

The NJC added: “The recommendation was pursuant to the findings of the Council that His Lordship has two different dates of birth: 27 October 1956 and 27 October 1958.

Advertisement

“However, 27 October 1956 appeared to be the consistent date of birth, but in 2006, the Chief Judge swore to an affidavit changing the date of birth to 27 October 1958.”

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) Owerri Branch has expressed serious concerns over the appointment.

Speaking after swearing in the new Acting Chief Judge, Governor Uzodimma recalled the disgraceful manner the former Chief Judge was removed from office by the NJC, and the events that followed  thereafter, and warned against a repeat of what he described as “dishonourable incident where a Chief Judge is suddenly  removed from office for such an ugly indictment of age falsification.”

Reacting to the appointment, the NBA urged Governor Uzodimma to adhere to due process in the appointment of a new Chief Judge, emphasising the importance of following established protocols to ensure transparency and legitimacy.

Advertisement

According to the NBA, Nzeukwu’s appointment violates the provisions of the 1999 Constitution, which stipulates that the most senior judge of the High Court should be appointed as Acting Chief Judge in the event of a vacancy.

“We insist that due process must be followed in the appointment of the Acting Chief Judge,” Chairman of the NBA Owerri Branch, Chief Chris U. Ihentuge and the Secretary, Daniel O. Odiba, said in a statement  yesterday.

According to the statement: “If the most senior judge or judges were bypassed, the rationale for this deviation must be immediately justified.”

Failure to do so, they warned, will further erode public confidence in the judiciary.

Advertisement

The NBA demands that Governor Uzodimma takes immediate action to address this situation and reverse the appointment, which they deem inconsistent with the Constitution.

The statement reads in part: “The Nigerian Bar Association, Owerri Branch demands that the Governor should, immediately, take steps to address this situation and reverse this action which is inconsistent with the Constitution. Failure to do so will further erode public confidence in the judiciary at a time when trust in our institutions is already fragile. The Bar shall also take all steps necessary in the circumstance.

“The Nigerian Bar Association, Owerri Branch, reiterates that it has no interest in any particular individual holding the office of the Chief Judge, but it is deeply committed to the protection of due process, the rule of law, and the sanctity of the Constitution.

“The NBA Owerri Branch has communicated its concerns to the Imo State Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, the Body of Senior Advocates of Nigeria (BOSAN), Imo State Chapter, the Judicial Service Commission (JSC) of Imo State, the President of the Nigerian Bar Association, and the National Judicial Council (NJC).”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News