Sports
Ex-Dutch international Quincy Promes faces extradition after Dubai arrest
- /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/C6B26E42-8E70-44AB-A0DF-9EB8ABC30C6B.jpeg&description=Ex-Dutch international Quincy Promes faces extradition after Dubai arrest', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/C6B26E42-8E70-44AB-A0DF-9EB8ABC30C6B.jpeg&description=Ex-Dutch international Quincy Promes faces extradition after Dubai arrest', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
By Francesca Hangeior
Former Ajax and Netherlands footballer Quincy Promes, convicted last month of involvement in cocaine smuggling and sentenced to six years in prison, has been arrested in Dubai at the request of Dutch prosecutors seeking his extradition.
The 32-year-old is the subject of an international arrest warrant. According to several media reports he had been under house arrest since the beginning of March in a luxury hotel in Dubai.
Quincy Promes was also arrested almost two weeks ago in the same city for a “local offence” and not because of the Dutch case.
This time he was arrested based on a request issued to law enforcement agencies worldwide and “has been taken into custody thanks to the efforts of the authorities” in the Netherlands and UAE, prosecutors said on Wednesday.
“Netherlands will request the extradition of the man,” the statement added.
Quincy Promes, who now plays for Spartak Moscow, was convicted in absentia by a Dutch court on February 14 of smuggling more than one thousand kilogrammes of cocaine.
Dutch public newscaster NOS, quoting Russia media, said Promes was arrested on March 1 for leaving the scene of a traffic accident in Dubai.
He was believed to have been arrested at the airport as his club was flying out after a training camp.
Previous attempts to extradite him from Moscow have failed and judges at the Amsterdam District Court had issued a warrant for his arrest after he was sentenced.
The court said Quincy Promes had smuggled a total of 1,363 kilogrammes of cocaine from Brazil in 2020, through the Belgian port of Antwerp into the Netherlands with the help of an accomplice.
The drugs haul was stashed in bags of salt in containers on board a ship — later partially intercepted by customs officials.
In a separate case, Promes had already been sentenced to 18 months in prison and ordered to pay compensation for stabbing his cousin over a stolen necklace.
Promes won 50 caps for the Netherlands, scoring seven goals, and was part of the side that lost to the Czech Republic in the last 16 at Euro 2020.
He has not worn the orange jersey since.
In 2021, he left the Dutch capital for Moscow and has played for Spartak ever since, following a previous stint from 2014-2018, during which he was named Russia’s footballer of the year.
Sports
Iheanacho’s strike helps Celtic win Scottish Cup, clinch double triumph
Celtic won the Scottish Cup with a 3-1 victory over Dunfermline on Saturday, sealing the double seven days after their dramatic title triumph.
Martin O’Neill’s side swept into a two-goal lead before half-time thanks to goals from Daizen Maeda and Arne Engels at Hampden Park.
Kelechi Iheanacho struck after the interval to put the result beyond doubt, making Josh Cooper’s late reply little consolation for out-classed Dunfermline.
It was a ninth consecutive win in all competitions for Celtic, who have timed their best run of form perfectly after being galvanised by interim boss O’Neill.
Celtic’s 43rd Scottish Cup success capped an incredible end to the season for O’Neill.
The 74-year-old now has nine major honours as a Celtic manager stretching over 26 years.
It was Celtic’s 14th top-flight and Scottish Cup double.
O’Neill is in his second spell as caretaker boss of the Glasgow club this season and is yet to agree to return next term.
So it was fitting that O’Neill’s potential farewell came in against Dunfermline boss Neil Lennon, who was a key member of O’Neill’s Celtic and Leicester teams earlier in his managerial career.
Asked if he could be persuaded to stay, O’Neill said: “Next week I might get to speak to the owner. Dermot Desmond brought me back in the first place, I owe him a great deal otherwise I wouldn’t be here.
“If the season was to start tomorrow, I couldn’t do it. But the season doesn’t start tomorrow. The Scottish season does start quickly though, and I’m getting old.
“What I have is a passion for the game. I don’t think that will ever leave me, even in my final days. That’s always been me. I have a desire to win.”
Celtic pipped Hearts to the Scottish Premiership title last weekend, coming from behind to win 3-1 against the Edinburgh club on the final day of the season.
The Hoops needed late goals from Maeda and Callum Osmand to finish two points above Derek McInnes’ side, who had led the table for months.
Hearts were furious that Celtic had stayed in the title race with a helping hand from a debatable penalty that clinched a win at Motherwell in their penultimate game.
There was, however, no need for any contentious drama in the final.
Celtic took the lead in the 19th minute as Alistair Johnston’s ball reached Maeda and he lobbed it over the stranded Aston Oxborough.
They doubled their advantage in the 36th minute when Engels hit a powerful strike from 25 yards that left Oxborough flat-footed.
Iheanacho latched on to Benjamin Nygren’s through ball and showed tremendous footwork to evade three defenders before slotting home in the 72nd minute.
Cooper scored on the rebound after Charlie Gilmour’s shot had been blocked in the 79th minute, but Celtic were never in danger of surrendering their lead.
Sports
AFCON: Morocco’s King Pardons Jailed Senegal Football Fans For ‘Humanitarian Reasons’
Morocco’s King Mohammed VI has pardoned the Senegalese football supporters jailed after violence at the 2025 AFCON final in Rabat for “humanitarian reasons”, a royal court statement said on Saturday.
It said that in view “of the age-old fraternal ties” between the two countries “and on the occasion of the advent of Eid al-Adha”, the king has “granted, on humanitarian grounds, his royal pardon to the Senegalese supporters”.
The Muslim holiday will be celebrated on Wednesday in Morocco.
Senegal won the chaotic January 18 AFCON final 1-0, but the match was later awarded on appeal to hosts Morocco.
After a penalty awarded to Morocco in stoppage time of the second half, just after a Senegal goal was disallowed, Senegalese fans tried to storm the pitch and hurled projectiles.
In February, Moroccan courts sentenced the 18 Senegalese supporters held in Morocco since the final to prison terms ranging from three months to a year.
Three were released from jail in mid-April after completing their three-month sentence.
Following that release, another 15 Senegalese fans remained incarcerated after receiving sentences ranging from six months to one year.
The royal pardon is expected to apply to those 15.
Lawyer Patrick Kabou, who represented a large number of the Senegalese, told AFP they were expected to be released late Saturday.
Senegalese President Bassirou Diomaye Faye welcomed the Moroccan king’s decision in a post on X.
“Our compatriots detained in Morocco following the incidents that occurred on the sidelines of the Africa Cup of Nations are free. They will soon be reunited with their loved ones,” he wrote.
Faye thanked King Mohammed VI for a decision “imbued with clemency and humanity”.
According to the Moroccan public prosecutor’s office, the charges against the 18 football supporters were based mainly on footage from cameras at Rabat’s Moulay Abdellah Stadium, and on medical certificates for injured law enforcement officers and stewards.
Material damage from the violence was estimated at more than 370,000 euros (around $430,000).
At the end of January, the Confederation of African Football imposed disciplinary sanctions on both national federations for unsporting conduct and violations of the principles of fair play.
After the Confederation decided on March 17 to award the 2025 AFCON to Morocco by administrative ruling, Senegal appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
The two countries have a history of cooperation in sectors including tourism and energy, and share strong religious ties.
Senegalese make up the largest foreign community living in Morocco.
AFP
Sports
EPL: Fernandes Announced Premier League Player of the Season
Bruno Fernandes has been announcd the Premier League Player of the Season following an outstanding campaign with Manchester United.Soccer
The Portuguese midfielder, who captains the club, added the latest honour to an already impressive season after previously winning the Football Writers’ Association Men’s Player of the Year award earlier this month.
Fernandes played a crucial role in United’s strong league campaign, helping the Red Devils finish third and secure qualification for next season’s UEFA Champions League.
The 31-year-old matched the Premier League record for assists in a single season after providing his 20th assist during United’s clash against Nottingham Forest last weekend.
In addition to his creativity, Fernandes also contributed eight league goals in 37 appearances for Manchester United this season.
No player in the Premier League created more chances than Fernandes, who recorded an impressive 132 chances — 43 more than the next closest player, Dominik Szoboszlai of Liverpool FC.
Fernandes becomes the first Manchester United player to win the prestigious award since former defender Nemanja Vidić claimed it in 2011.
The award was decided through a combination of public voting and selections made by a panel of football experts.
Other players shortlisted for the honour included David Raya, Gabriel Magalhães, Declan Rice, Erling Haaland, Antoine Semenyo, Igor Thiago and Morgan Gibbs-White.
Manchester United will round off their Premier League season with an away fixture against Brighton & Hove Albion FC on Sunday.
-
News14 hours agoPopular Rap Star Dies After Battling Cancer
-
News14 hours ago2027: I’m not avoiding Atiku – Peter Obi
-
News14 hours agoEx-Gov Abubakar, Halliru Jika emerge APC, ADC guber candidates in Bauchi
-
News14 hours ago“You can’t meet El-Rufai” – ICPC bars ADC
-
Sports12 hours agoEPL: Fernandes Announced Premier League Player of the Season
-
News12 hours agoTrump Admin orders Nigerians, other green card applicants to return home for residency processing
-
News13 hours agoTCN gives update on blackout in Aso Rock, Nnamdi Azikiwe Int’l Airport, other parts of Abuja
-
News13 hours agoStrait of Hormuz Closure Stifles Nigeria’s Fragrance Business, Says Sirtified Perfumes CEO Adetayo Olowookere
