Connect with us

News

One dead, hundreds injured as riots sweep New Caledonia

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

By Francesca Hangeior

One person was killed, hundreds more were injured, shops were looted and public buildings torched during a second night of rioting in New Caledonia, authorities said Wednesday, as anger over constitutional reforms from Paris boiled over.

What began as pro-independence demonstrations have spiralled into three days of the worst violence seen on the French Pacific archipelago since the 1980s.

Despite heavily armed security forces fanning out across the capital Noumea and the ordering of a nighttime curfew, rioting continued overnight Tuesday virtually unabated.

Advertisement

Hundreds of people including “around 100” police and gendarmes have been injured in the unrest, French Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said on Wednesday in Paris.

One person had been shot dead overnight but authorities were yet to establish the circumstances that led to the incident, Darmanin said, adding that dozens of homes and businesses had been torched.

In Noumea and the commune of Paita there were reports of several exchanges of fire between civil defence groups and rioters.

On Wednesday, streets in the capital were pocked by the shells of burned-out cars and buildings, including a sports store and a large concrete climbing wall.

Advertisement

“Numerous arsons and pillaging of shops, infrastructure and public buildings — including primary and secondary schools — were carried out,” said the High Commission, which represents Paris in the islands.

Security forces had managed to regain control of Noumea’s penitentiary, which holds about 50 inmates, after an uprising and escape attempt by prisoners, it said in a statement.

Police have arrested more than 130 people since the riots broke out Monday night, with dozens placed in detention to face court hearings, the commission said.

The territory’s La Tontouta International Airport remained closed to commercial flights and people were urged to restrict any travel during the day, the high commission said.

Advertisement

As rioters took to the streets, France’s lower house of parliament 17,000 kilometres (10,600 miles) awayvoted in favour of a constitutional change bitterly opposed by indigenous Kanaks.

The reform — which must still be approved by a joint sitting of both houses of the French parliament — would give a vote to people who have lived in New Caledonia for 10 years.

Pro-independence forces say it would dilute the share of the vote held by Kanaks, the Indigenous group that makes up about 41 percent of the population and the major force in the pro-independence movement.

French President Emmanuel Macron urged calm in a letter to the territory’s representatives, calling on them to “unambiguously condemn” the “disgraceful and unacceptable” violence.

Advertisement

Macron said French lawmakers would vote to definitively adopt the constitutional change by the end of June unless New Caledonia’s opposing sides agree on a new text that “takes into account the progress made and everyone’s aspirations”.

The French leader has been seeking to reassert his country’s importance in the Pacific region, where China and the United States are vying for influence.

Lying between Australia and Fiji, New Caledonia is one of several French territories spanning the globe from the Caribbean and Indian Ocean to the Pacific in the post-colonial era.

In the Noumea Accord of 1998, France vowed to gradually give more political power to the Pacific island territory of nearly 300,000 people.

Advertisement

As part of the agreement, New Caledonia has held three referendums over its ties with France, all rejecting independence.

But the independence movement retains support, particularly among the Indigenous Kanak people.

The Noumea Accord has also meant that New Caledonia’s voter lists have not been updated since 1998 — depriving island residents who arrived from mainland France or elsewhere since then of a vote in provincial polls.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Warning: Undefined variable $user_ID in /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/themes/zox-news/comments.php on line 49

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Just in: Ex-HoR spokesperson Zakari Mohammed emerges Kwara ADC primary consensus guber candidate

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

..promises party chieftains, supporters an unwavering loyalty

A former House of Representatives spokesperson, Hon Zakari Mohammed has emerged the gubernatorial candidate of African Democratic Congress ADC for Kwara state in the 2027 general elections.

Mohammed a frontline politician emerged as a consensus candidate of the party, in Kwara, he was a former Commissioner for Information and Energy is a strong grassroots politician who has at different times actively participated in both state and federal politics.

In a message gratitude to party chieftains and party loyalists, Mohammed thanked them all for the massive support he enjoyed during the primary.

Advertisement

He said:”The overwhelming confidence reposed in me by our national leadership, state leaders, stakeholders, and the teeming members of the African Democratic Congress across Kwara State, in adopting me as the consensus Governorship candidate of our great party, is deeply humbling and profoundly appreciated.

“I sincerely thank every leader and member of the party for this rare demonstration of trust, unity, and commitment to the collective aspiration of building a better Kwara State anchored on justice, competence, accountability, and people-oriented governance.
I particularly commend my colleagues within the Kwara leadership structure of the party for their patriotism, maturity, dedication, and genuine love for Kwara State in arriving at this historic consensus.

“Their sacrifices and determination to place the interest of the people above personal ambition have once again shown that ADC remains a party driven by democratic ideals, inclusiveness, and service to humanity.

“I accept this enormous responsibility with utmost humility and a deep sense of duty. I wish to assure all party members and the good people of Kwara State that I shall not betray the confidence bestowed upon me. By the grace of God, and with the collective support of our people, victory is certain.

Advertisement

“I call on all Kwarans and Nigerians who desire genuine change to massively support and vote for all ADC candidates from top to bottom in the forthcoming elections. The current economic hardship, suffering, and hopelessness imposed on Nigerians under the administration of the All Progressives Congress can only be reversed through purposeful leadership and people-centered governance.

“Our party stands firmly against godfatherism, political intimidation, and imposed leadership. In ADC, the people remain the center of our democratic process.

“Our members, supporters, and voters are our greatest strength and the premium focus of our attention, as clearly enshrined in democratic principles.

“Together, we shall rescue Kwara State and contribute meaningfully to the rebuilding of Nigeria.
Thank you all and may God bless Kwara State and the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Troops Repel Terrorists’ Attack on Military Post in North-east, Eliminate 12 ISWAP/Boko Haram Fighters

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Troops of the Joint Task Force (North East), Operation Hadin Kai (OPHK), have eliminated 12 ISWAP and Boko Haram fighters during a failed attack on a military position in the Kirawa axis of Sector 1 OPHK Area of Responsibility in the early hours of May 22, 2026.

The operation was carried out under Operation Desert Sanity and Siege Operations after suspected terrorists attempted to infiltrate positions occupied by troops of the 153 Task Force Battalion and other allied forces along the Nigeria-Cameroon border axis.

According to the Media Information Officer of Joint Task Force (North East) Operation Hadin Kai, Lieutenant Colonel Sani Uba, the attack was promptly detected and effectively repelled by troops and members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF), who responded with superior firepower and maintained control of their positions throughout the encounter.

The terrorists were subsequently forced to abandon the mission and retreat towards the Cameroon axis after suffering heavy casualties during the gun battle.

Advertisement

“Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance assets, as well as platforms of the Air Component of OPHK and partner forces, provided coordinated support during the operation.

“Following the engagement, troops confirmed the neutralisation of 12 terrorists, while several others reportedly escaped with gunshot wounds, as evidenced by blood trails along their withdrawal routes.

“Recovered items included AK-47 rifles, rocket-propelled grenade systems, ammunition, and a PKT machine gun, further weakening the operational capability of the insurgents in the area,” the statement said.

Troops of OPHK, working alongside the Civilian Joint Task Force, have continued exploitation operations to track fleeing terrorists and recover additional weapons and equipment, while maintaining heightened vigilance across the area.

Advertisement

The Joint Task Force reaffirmed its commitment to sustaining pressure on terrorist groups until they are completely neutralised across the theatre of operations.

The military high command also commended the troops for their gallantry, professionalism, and swift response, which it described as the third successful operation recorded within the week, urging them to sustain the operational momentum in the interest of national security.

Continue Reading

News

Africa needs $2.8 trillion by 2030 to meet climate goals — Report

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Africa will require an estimated $2.8 trillion between 2020 and 2030 to effectively tackle climate change and meet its commitments under the Paris Agreement.

A new report policy analysis by Harrison Rehoboth Consulting, states that the continent needs about $277 billion annually to fund climate adaptation and mitigation projects.

The investment is aimed at reducing the impact of floods, droughts, desertification, and other environmental challenges threatening livelihoods across the region.

Femi Sekoni, spokesperson for Harrison Rehoboth Consulting, said the funding is critical to strengthen infrastructure, protect vulnerable communities, improve food security, expand renewable energy, and support a transition to cleaner, more sustainable economies.

Advertisement

Despite the growing climate crisis, the report notes that Africa remains heavily dependent on foreign sources for climate financing. Domestic investors contribute only a small portion of available funds.

Local institutions including banks, pension funds, insurance firms, and private investors account for roughly 10% of climate finance flowing into the continent. International organisations and development partners provide the larger share.

Uneven distribution and structural barriers

Climate financing across Africa remains unevenly distributed. Countries with stronger financial systems and investment structures—South Africa, Egypt, Nigeria, Morocco, and Kenya—attract a significant percentage of available funding.

Advertisement

Many other African countries facing severe climate threats struggle to attract large-scale investment.

The report cites weak institutions, limited project preparation capacity, policy uncertainties, and concerns over investment risk as key barriers.

The analysis also raises concerns about the structure of climate financing available to African countries.

A large portion comes in the form of loans rather than grants or concessional financing, which could worsen debt burdens for nations already facing rising debt-servicing obligations and economic pressure.

Advertisement

Climate adaptation projects such as flood control systems, drought resilience programmes, and coastal protection infrastructure often provide social and environmental benefits but generate little direct revenue.

This makes loan repayment difficult for governments.

The report notes that rising debt levels have fueled global discussions around climate justice and the need for wealthier nations to provide more grant-based support to vulnerable countries facing the harsh effects of climate change.

The report acknowledges efforts by institutions such as the African Development Bank and some African countries, including Rwanda, Kenya, Senegal, Egypt, and South Africa, to expand climate investment initiatives and develop financing frameworks capable of attracting private investors.

Advertisement

However, Harrison Rehoboth Consulting stresses that Africa’s climate finance gap cannot be closed through international promises alone.

It calls for stronger domestic financial systems, improved governance, better project planning, and reforms in global financial institutions to make climate funding more accessible.

Key recommendations include: increasing concessional financing and grants for adaptation projects; improving collaboration between governments and private investors; strengthening policies that encourage long-term investment in climate and infrastructure projects; and building domestic financial capacity to reduce over-reliance on external funding.

The report concludes that closing Africa’s climate finance gap will require coordinated action at national, regional, and global levels to ensure funding reaches the countries and communities most exposed to climate risk.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News