Connect with us

News

Media can now access funds from BoI — Tinubu

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has asserted that the media is not left out of the Renewed Hope agenda of the Federal Government.

He said media organisations can now also access funds from the Bank of Industry at a single-digit interest rate, for the development and expansion of their businesses.

President Tinubu stated this at the opening ceremony of the All Nigerian Editors Conference in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State capital, on Thursday.

Represented by the Minister of Information and National Orientation, Alhaji Mohammed Idris, the President applauded the role of the media in the fight to to enthrone democracy and the successes recorded in the 25 years of its uninterrupted journey, saluting their longstanding legacy of deeply committed contributions to nation building.

Advertisement

He said the democracy that Nigeria enjoys today would not be possible without the media, just as he saluted media personalities and individual whose collective efforts not just at that time, but even right through to today, as the country celebrates a quarter of a century of unbroken democratic experience.

Tinubu said as someone who was privileged to be in the thick of the pro-democracy struggle, with a front-row view of how it played out, he would always acknowledge the very important role of the media in the struggle.

The President said: “Indeed, in this room are many veteran journalists who played very important roles in ushering in the age of enduring democracy in Nigeria. I salute your individual and collective efforts not just at that time, but even right through to today, as we celebrate a quarter of a century of unbroken democratic experience.

“In any thriving democracy, the roles of the government and the media are intertwined, both essential in serving the public interest. And of course, the media has a duty to hold elected and appointed officials accountable, and ensure that we are doing our work in a manner that strengthens democracy – not weakens it.

Advertisement

“That important work must be done in a spirit of mutual respect and collaboration, not recrimination and opposition; this alignment enables us to achieve common goals that benefit society at large.

“Indeed, our roles are most effective when they are not adversarial but cooperative. By viewing each other as allies in nation-building, we can create an environment where transparency, accountability, and mutual respect thrive.

“Together, the government and the media can empower citizens, strengthen democratic institutions, and build a more informed and resilient society.

“As we gather to discuss a theme that is both timely and urgent, ‘Economic Growth and Development Strategies in a Resource-Rich Country,’ we find ourselves at a critical juncture in our nation’s journey toward sustainable growth and prosperity.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Warning: Undefined variable $user_ID in /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/themes/zox-news/comments.php on line 49

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Building Collapse: Wike Orders Investigation, Seals Off Premises(Photos)

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

…Developer, engineer face arrest

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, on Monday ordered a full-scale investigation into the building collapse in Abuja that claimed four lives, directing that the premises be sealed off immediately.

Wike also disclosed that an engineer linked to the collapsed structure had been arrested, while the developer would equally face arrest and a panel set up to unravel the cause of the collapse.

The Minister, who visited the scene the collapsed building on Monday, described the incident as “very pathetic,” stressing that the government would not compromise on the safety of residents.

“From the report I got, we lost four people and some lives were saved. It’s very pathetic. Nobody is happy when you lose somebody,” Wike said.

“The Department of Development Control has sealed off the premises. We are going to set up a panel to really look at what happened. One of the engineers has been arrested already. From there, we’ll get to the developer, and the developer will also be arrested.”

Advertisement

He said the FCT Administration was taking over the matter, while the Department of Development Control would carry out preliminary investigations pending the outcome of the panel’s findings.

Wike warned developers against obstructing officials of the Federal Capital Development Administration (FCDA) from carrying out routine supervision of construction projects.

According to him, some developers often resort to blackmail whenever government agencies attempt to enforce compliance with building regulations.

“Sometimes when we come to a site like this, the press has not been kind to us. Instead of finding out why government is taking that decision, some people will go to blackmail government officials,” he stated.

The minister stressed that strict compliance with building standards, including soil tests and the use of quality materials, remained critical to preventing future disasters.

“In construction of buildings, we must know the quality. What materials are they using? Are they doing the soil test? What is the result of the soil test? Can it allow for two floors or three floors? All these are very key,” he said.

Advertisement

He maintained that government’s primary responsibility was the protection of lives and property, lamenting that the lives lost in the collapse could never be replaced.

“How can you buy back these lives? They are gone. That is the responsibility of government: to protect life and property,” Wike added.

Continue Reading

News

Nigeria Pushes Port Expansion Drive to Dominate Regional Trade – Oyetola

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Nigeria Pushes Port Expansion Drive to Dominate Regional Trade – Oyetola

By Gloria Ikibah

Nigeria has set its sights on becoming the dominant trade and logistics hub in West and Central Africa, with plans underway to expand port capacity and overhaul key aspects of the maritime sector.

The Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, Dr Adegboyega Oyetola, outlined the government’s direction while declaring open the mid-year session of the Board of Directors of the Port Management Association of West and Central Africa (PMAWCA) in Victoria Island, Lagos, with the theme, “Ports of the Future: Combining Logistical Resilience with Inclusive Community Development”, on Monday in Lagos.

Advertisement

The Minister said fresh approvals had been granted for new deep seaports across the country, aimed at boosting infrastructure and strengthening supply chains.

He said: “Approvals have therefore been granted for the development of additional deep seaports across the country to complement existing infrastructure, strengthen supply chain resilience, and reinforce Nigeria’s position as the preferred maritime and logistics hub for West and Central Africa”.

Dr. Oyetola also pointed to ongoing efforts by the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to modernise port operations through infrastructure upgrades, digital systems and improved efficiency.

According to him, coordinated policies and closer collaboration among agencies have eased longstanding challenges at the ports.

Advertisement

The minister who highlighted the National Single Window project as a key reform designed to simplify cargo clearance by integrating government processes digitally, further disclosed that existing ports would be upgraded, including the deepening of channels to accommodate larger vessels.

“These efforts have contributed to improved cargo evacuation, reduced vessel waiting time, greater operational efficiency, and a more predictable business environment for port users and investors.

“These upgrades are critical to ensuring that our ports remain globally competitive and capable of supporting larger volumes of trade in the years ahead”,he added.

On security, Dr Oyetola said the Deep Blue Project had successfully tackled piracy in Nigerian waters and significantly curtailed maritime crime across the Gulf of Guinea, helping to restore investor confidence in the region.

Advertisement

He therefore urged participants at the conference to focus on initiatives that would “strengthen logistical resilience in port operations and regional supply chains,” while also promoting sustainability, innovation and inclusive growth tied to maritime activities.

In his remarks, Managing Director of the Nigerian Ports Authority and President of PMAWCA, Dr Abubakar Dantsoho, said the sub-region was experiencing renewed momentum in port development, with investments exceeding 27 billion dollars either underway or recently announced.

He listed several major projects, including the Simandou-Morebaya Deep Sea Port in Guinea, the Port San Pedro project in Côte d’Ivoire, the Lekki Deep Sea Port in Lagos, as well as developments in Ghana and Senegal.

He also noted continued investment in Nigeria’s Apapa and Tin Can Island ports, alongside a significant commitment from APM Terminals.

Advertisement

Dantsoho said ports must evolve beyond their traditional function as transit points for cargo and play a broader role in advancing the blue economy.

According to him, “the future of the sector lies in areas such as renewable marine energy, aquaculture, sustainable fisheries, coastal tourism and marine biotechnology”.

The event, which runs from 18 to 20 May 2026, drew a wide range of participants, including the Governor of Taraba State, Dr Kefas Agbu, representatives of the Lagos State Government, business leaders such as Alhaji Aliko Dangote, and senior presidential advisers among others.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Many headaches of El-rufai as DSS re-arraigns ex-gov in Abuja for alleged phone tapping of NSA

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Ex-Kaduna State Governor Nasir el-Rufai was re-arraigned on Monday at the Federal High Court in Abuja by the Department of State Services for allegations of illegally tapping the phone of the National Security Adviser.

He arrived at the court around 8:55 a.m. under heavy security.

DSS operatives cordoned off the complex and restricted access, temporarily blocking journalists, court staff, and the public from entering.

The move sparked a brief protest at the gate.

Advertisement

Activist and former AAC presidential candidate Omoyele Sowore led the protest, arguing that “el-Rufai’s arraignment should not deny Nigerians access to a public facility.”

A source at the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission said DSS operatives picked el-Rufai up from its facility at 7:00 a.m. ahead of the arraignment.

“The case is not ours. DSS operatives came to pick him up around 7:00 a.m. for arraignment,” the source said.

The re-arraignment relates to claims that el-Rufai authorised or was involved in tapping the NSA’s phone.

Advertisement

The case has added to ongoing political and legal tensions around the former governor.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News