Connect with us

Metro

Customs Gives Condition For Nigerians To Benefit From Food Distribution

Published

on

The Nigeria Customs Service said only Nigerian citizens with a verifiable National Identification Number (NIN) can benefit from the food items distribution.

The agency begun distributing seized food items to hungry citizens to help mitigate the current hardships.

Speaking at the flag-off of the exercise in Lagos, the comptroller-general of customs, Wale Adeniyi, said the federal government ordered the distribution of the seized food items.

Mr Adeniyi said customs was working with other agencies to distribute the seized foods directly to needy Nigerians. Mr Adeniyi said Nigerians would require a verifiable NIN to benefit.

“Our target includes artisans, teachers, religious organisations and other Nigerians within the area of customs operations, including the border areas.

“The intention of this distribution is to reach out directly to members of organisations that have structures to ensure the maximum impact of the exercise.

“The effort of the distribution is to ensure robust security protocol throughout the process as officers will closely monitor the entire supply chain to prevent any misuse or possible diversion of food items,” said Mr Adeniyi.

He said that the gesture was part of the federal government’s efforts to reduce food prices in the country.

The customs boss added, “We collaborate with other sister agencies of the government, while customs is the lead agency because the food items are with us.

“Among us here are the police and DSS, and tomorrow, we are going to have a full department of all the sister organisations for proper monitoring.”

Mr Adeniyi said the rice distributed was certified for consumption by the National Agency For Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) before being re-bagged to 25kg to reach as many Nigerians as possible.

The customs boss said 10 points had been created for the processing, and interested Nigerians should come with their NIN to restrict people from benefiting twice.

He added that customs would work with the police to ensure the food items were not resold.

Mr Adeniyi, however, urged Nigerians to report any incident of misuse or unauthorised resale of the food items. He said customs would not hesitate to arrest and prosecute anyone possessing food items in their stores.

Mr Adeniyi said customs officers had intercepted over 20,000 bags of 50kg of parboiled rice, beans, maise, millet, and soya beans.

The customs boss added that the area commands detained over 50 trucks containing the food items.

He said other items seized included 2,500 cartons of 963 bags of assorted dried fish, dry pepper, seasoning, salt, cooking oil, macaroni, sugar and garri.

(NAN)

Continue Reading

Metro

BREAKING: Fear As Masked Gunmen Storm Oyo Govt Secretariat

Published

on

There was panic at Oyo Government Secretariat on Saturday following an invasion by some masked men.

The armed men were stationed at strategic points in the secretariat, it was learnt.

While some were said to have manned the entrance to the Governor’s office gate, others were seen at the entrance to the House of Assembly Gate with some others at the main entrance.

The identity of the masked men could not be ascertained as of the time of writing this report.

Policemen and other anti-crime agencies stormed the entrance to the Secretariat in numerous patrol vans.

Operatives of the Oyo Security Network (Amotekun) were said to have also arrived the gate.

The situation, it was gathered, almost turned chaotic as the security operatives engaged in a gun duel with the agitators.

Teargas were also said to have been fired with the situation sending panic to residents around the axis.

Motorists plying the route started making detour as other road users scampered to safety.

Road users enroute Secretariat diverted along Customs Junction as the Secretariat-Queen Elizabeth Road was cut off traffic.

Details shortly…

Continue Reading

Metro

BANDITRY: Gunmen abduct former Benue CoS’s wife, house help

Published

on

By Francesca Hangeior

Suspected herdsmen have abducted the wife and house help of former Chief of Staff to Benue Governor Terwase Orbunde.

Hon.Orbunde was Chief of Staff to former Governor Samuel Ortom.

He later resigned to contest the PDP governorship primary. He later joined the All Progressive Congress (APC) but still lost out of the race.

The attack was said to have taken place close to the Genocide Cemetery along Mobile Barracks-Welfare Quarters Road in Makurdi, the state capital around 6pm on Friday.

The former Chief of Staff escaped with a gunshot on his right arm while the attackers whisked away Mrs Abigail Kashimana Orbunde, and her house help, Patience Ogute.

Eyewitnesses said the trio had gone to inspect the weeding of their farm located close to the road.

They said after the inspection and payment of the workers, five gunmen suddenly attacked them as they walked back to the car.

It was reported that they shot Orbunde on the right arm while ordering the women to follow them to an unknown destination.

The shooting was said to have made villagers and passersby to scamper for safety in different directions.

As they marched along, the former Chief of Staff was said to be bleeding profusely and slowed down from walking.

The eyewitnesses, who watched from a distance, said the leader of the group ordered him to walk away while the gunmen took the women away before good Samaritans rushed Orbunde to the hospital.

Continue Reading

Metro

Marriage palaver: My wife told me only 1 out of our 3 children is mine —Husband

Published

on

A plumber, Mr Desmond Igbo, has dragged his wife, Rosemary, before a Customary Court in Jikwoyi, Abuja, Federal Capital Territory (FCT), accusing her of giving birth to two children for another man.

The petitioner, who resides within the jurisdiction of the court, said this in a divorce petition he filed against his wife in court.

“My wife is having extra- marital affairs. She confessed to me that only my second child is my biological child.

“She said that the other two were not my biological children.

“I have been taking care of them for 13 years.

” This is heartbreaking. It is on this issue that I seek to divorce my wife,” he said.

He also told the court that there was no love and understanding in their marriage.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024