News
Emefiele regains freedom, meets bail conditions

Former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mr. Godwin Emefiele has been released after meeting the bail conditions granted him by the court.
Emefiele, who arrived at the Lagos High Court, Ikeja in custody of operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Friday, left for his home after the court proceedings.
Justice Rahman Oshodi, who ruled on his bail application, admitted him to bail in the sum of N50m with two sureties in like sum.
Shortly after the court granted him bail, trial started with the EFCC calling its first prosecution witness.
The witness, a staff of the CBN, Monday Osazuwa, told the court how the former apex bank’s governor on different occasions, directed him to collect the sum of $3 million cash in tranches.
Led-in-evidence by the prosecution counsel, Mr. Rotimi Oyedepo, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, the witness narrated to the court how he served as a dispatch rider in Zenith Bank, after which he joined the apex bank as well as the many errands he ran for the former CBN governor.
He said: “I joined the CBN in 2014 as a contract staff and became staff in 2015. I knew the first defendant when he was a Deputy Director of Zenith Bank, and he later became Director. I worked with him since then.
“I was still working in the governor’s office while I was appointed as a full staff, and we usually communicate through WhatsApp and Emails. I performed as a senior supervisor, recording and filing with other official roles”.
He also testified that sometime in 2020, the first defendant sent him on errand.
“When he called me, he directed that I should call a businessman who gave me $1 million dollars on his behalf. Some weeks later, the first defendant also called me that I should meet the man and he gave me $850,000, $750,000 and $400,000 cash in tranches”.
Osazuwa further confirmed to the court that he knew Dumies Oil and Gas Limited while he was in Zenith Bank Plc. He added that that former CBN governor, who was also the Managing Director of the company, always sent him to collect cheques from one Mr. Monday.
The witness told the court that he always logged the money into the account of Dumies on the order of Emefiele.
When he was asked where the second defendant resides, he responded that Henry Isioma Omoile lived in the residence of the former CBN governor.
He said: “Whenever I receive the money and take it to the residence of Mr Emefiele. He always tells me to give it to the second defendant whenever he was not at home.
“I did not keep record of transactions because the instruction he gave me was that, I should collect the money and bring the money to his house. The highest amount I collected is $1 million all in cash.
“He has never for one day said take this. I have never been rewarded, paid or given anything because I am doing it out of faithfulness and he knows I am faithful to him”.
The witness was cross-examined by the defendant’s counsel, Abdulakeem Labi-Lawal.
The witness confirmed to the court that he had been working with the defendant since 2002 but he could not say the precise number of years or months he had seen the second defendant.
Osazuwa said that he was sure that Omoile had been living in Emefiele’s house for some months.
He affirmed that Emefiele passed instructions to him through the second defendant and that he had been collecting cheques for Dumies Oil and Gas.
“I started collect collecting cheques for Dummies Oil and Gas when I was in Zenith Bank. I cannot calculate the exact year I have been collecting the cheques but it all started when the first defendant was the MD at Zenith Bank and I was working at Zenith Bank Plc”.
The witness told the court that when he was made to confront the second defendant during investigation, the second defendant did not admit that instructions were passed through him.
Before the witness testified, Justice Oshodi turned down a request for adjournment made by the defence counsel.
He ruled that the request for adjournment was unjustified.
The court has adjourned to April 29 for continuation of trial and for hearing of some applications requesting a closed session for some of the prosecution’s witnesses.
News
Just in: Shettima jets out to attend Senegal’s independence

Vice President Kashim Shettima has departed Abuja for Dakar, Senegal for official assignment.
The VP is expected to represent President Bola Ahmed Tinubu at the West African nation’s 65th Independence Anniversary celebrations.
Senegal marks its Independence Day on April 4 each year, commemorating its liberation from French colonial rule in 1960.
The annual celebration is a significant event featuring national parades, cultural displays, and ceremonies highlighting the country’s achievements and unity.
A statement issued on Thursday by Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Communications, Office of the Vice President, Stanley Nkwocha, said Shettima’s participation followed an official invitation from Senegalese President, Bassirou Diomaye Faye.
This underscored the strong diplomatic and economic ties between Nigeria and Senegal.
The two nations share longstanding relations, particularly within the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), fostering cooperation on regional security, trade, and development initiatives.
The event is expected to reaffirm Senegal’s commitment to democratic governance and regional cooperation.
Vice President Shettima is scheduled to return to Nigeria immediately after the one-day celebrations, continuing his engagements in national development and diplomatic outreach.
News
Just in: “Ignore rumour mongers, there was no time I collapsed “-Wike asserts

Federal Capital Territory FCT minister, Nyesom Wike on Thursday dismissed social media reports that he collapsed last week, describing the reports as the handiwork of rumour mongers trying to score cheap political points.
Wike spoke after he inspected four ongoing projects in the territory, including the International Conference Centre ICC.
News
CJ transfers Natasha’s case to Justice Nyako

The Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Justice John Tsoho, has reassigned the suit filed by Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan against Senate President Godswill Akpabio and others to Justice Binta Nyako.
The case, which was initially handled by Justice Obiora Egwuatu, will now be heard afresh by Justice Nyako following Egwuatu’s withdrawal from the matter. His decision came after allegations of bias were reportedly raised by Akpabio, the third defendant in the suit.
Justice Egwuatu withdrew from the case on March 25, citing concerns over judicial integrity.
“Justice is rooted in confidence in the court. Once a litigant expresses his belief that there is bias or likelihood of bias on the part of the judge, it will not be in the interest of justice for the judge to continue,” he stated.
He forwarded the case file to the Chief Judge for reassignment.
Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan, who represents Kogi Central Senatorial District, had filed the lawsuit to halt an investigation into her alleged misconduct by the Senate Committee on Ethics, Privileges, and Public Petitions. She had sought an interim injunction to prevent the committee from proceeding with disciplinary actions against her.
Justice Egwuatu previously issued an order on March 4 declaring Akpoti-Uduaghan’s suspension by the Senate null and void. However, on March 19, he set aside a portion of his ruling after hearing arguments from both sides. The Senate had filed a motion urging the court to vacate the order, arguing that it interfered with its legislative duties and could lead to a constitutional crisis.
During legal proceedings, the Senate’s lawyer, Chikaosolu Ojukwu, argued that the court’s order restrained the Senate from fulfilling its constitutional responsibilities, while Akpoti-Uduaghan’s counsel, Michael Numa, opposed the motion, describing it as a disregard for the court’s authority. He urged the court to dismiss the Senate’s application and take disciplinary action against the defendants for contempt.
Akpoti-Uduaghan also filed a contempt charge, asserting that her suspension was a deliberate violation of the court’s interim injunction. She maintained that the court’s directive was duly served on the defendants, but they proceeded with actions in defiance of the ruling.
Nigeria’s 1999 Constitution (as amended) grants the National Assembly the authority to manage its internal affairs, including disciplining its members. However, this power is not unlimited. It must be exercised in accordance with constitutional provisions, due process, and the rule of law.
The principle of separation of powers, outlined in Section 4 for the legislature, Section 6 for the judiciary, and Section 5 for the executive, ensures that each arm of government functions independently without interference. However, courts have the authority to review legislative actions if they infringe on fundamental rights or violate existing laws.
Judicial rulings have established that while legislatures hold disciplinary authority, their actions must align with the principles of natural justice, particularly the right to a fair hearing, as outlined in Section 36 of the Constitution. The outcome of this case could clarify the extent of legislative immunity and determine whether courts can override Senate disciplinary actions when due process is at stake.
-
News7 hours ago
Natasha: Kogi PDP hammers Ododo, reiterates unfeigned support for her
-
Economy6 hours ago
SEE Black Market Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate Today 3rd April 2025
-
News14 hours ago
Rivers APC demands Fubara’s probe over ex-HoS allegations
-
News2 hours ago
Just in: “Ignore rumour mongers, there was no time I collapsed “-Wike asserts
-
News5 hours ago
Just in: INEC dumps recall petition against Sen Natasha
-
Economy15 hours ago
Naira rebounces against the dollar in parallel market
-
News10 hours ago
Just in: Finally, Trump imposes 14% tarriff on Nigeria oil, others
-
News7 hours ago
US cancels ex- president ,Nobel Peace Prize winner Oscar Arias visa