News
With 18,500 arrests, 2.6mkg drugs seized in 2024, our successes justify global support – Marwa+Photos

. . As US Govt donates facility to Agency in Lagos, commends Marwa for outstanding performance
By Kayode Sanni-Arewa
Chairman/Chief Executive of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, Brig Gen Mohamed Buba Marwa (Rtd) has said that the steady operational successes being recorded by the anti-narcotic body in its drug supply and demand reduction efforts will continue to justify the support and assistance it is getting from the United States government, other partners and stakeholders.
Marwa stated this at the commissioning of central exhibit office donated by the US government to NDLEA at the Agency’s headquarters annex in Ikoyi Lagos on Tuesday 7th January 2025. The facility was handed over to the NDLEA boss by the US Consulate General, Ms. Jo Ellen Georg, supported by other senior US officials.
While commending the United States government as a reliable ally in Nigeria’s renewed efforts to combat drug-related crimes, Marwa said the continued collaboration with the US has been infinite, bolstered and enhanced NDLEA’s operational capabilities.
According to him, “Today, I am particularly pleased to acknowledge one of such gestures, namely the donation of the office for our central exhibit custodians.
This donation acknowledges the critical need for efficient and secure handling of evidence, which is essential for the successful prosecution of drug-related cases.
This contribution will not only strengthen our operational framework but also set a new standard for accountability and transparency in drug law enforcement. It is an investment in the security and the future of our nations.”
He said despite the Agency’s improved performance, “we recognise that the war against drug trafficking and abuse is far from over. As an organisation, we are committed to surmounting the challenges.”
The NDLEA said the challenges notwithstanding, tremendous successes have been recorded on all fronts against the drug menace.
His words: “So far, the results have been justifying. In 2024, we seized over 2.6 million kilograms of illicit drugs.
Across the country, we arrested more than 18,500 drug trafficking offenders. Got over 3,250 convicted, including 10 drug barons, with more than 220 hectares of cannabis farms destroyed, while in the same breath we counselled and rehabilitated over 8, 200, with more than 3,000 sensitisation and advocacy programmes organized across the country in schools, markets, motor parks, worship centres, work places and communities, among others, thus creating an equipoise between our drug supply reduction and drug demand reduction efforts.”
While calling for continuous support and more collaboration from the US government and other partners, Marwa said the challenges of illicit drugs are dynamic and multifaceted, and as such require continuous partnership and innovation. “That is why we are pragmatic in our unending quest for further support from our international partners, key stakeholders and public-spirited persons. We seek intervention in critical areas such as capacity building and enhanced training for our officers, provision of technology and equipment, especially for advanced surveillance and tracking, intelligence and information sharing and provision of operational logistics”, he added.
He commended the American people for their support and magnanimity over the years.
“Our shared goal remains the protection of lives and the promotion of a safer, healthier world. As Chairman and CEO of NDLEA, I pledge our commitment to accountability, transparency, and the effective utilisation of the resources entrusted to us. I assure you that every donation inspires confidence in the agency and, by extension, inspires resilience, hardwork and dedication among our workforce.”
He specifically thanked the US DEA attaché in Nigeria, Mr. Robert Bascoe, whose untiring efforts and commitment made the donation and several others a reality even as he expressed gratitude to the United States Africa Command and the US Embassy for their invaluable partnership.
In her remarks, the US acting Consul General, Ms. Jo Ellen Georg said the cornerstone of the relationship between Nigeria and US is premised on the vibrancy of democracy.
“It’s a principle deeply embraced by both of our nations. And one of our leaders who helped nurture this deep and enduring partnership between our two countries was former President Jimmy Carter, who, as noted, passed away on December 29th at age 100.
“President Carter was an extraordinary leader, and he dedicated his years in and out of office promoting peace, democracy, health, and human rights.
And today, as is customary in the United States, his body is being drawn on a horse carriage to the U.S. Capitol to lie in state so that we can all respect the legacy that he has left for us. And President Carter was actually the first U.S. President to make a state visit to Nigeria.”
She highlighted the significance of the support the US government has been providing for the NDLEA while commending Marwa for taking advantage of such partnership to achieve tremendous results for Nigeria in the fight against illicit drugs.
According to her, “the efforts to fight drug trafficking in Nigeria and across West Africa region have successes because we share the same objective of countering crime, illegal drugs, and instability.
“Today, as part of our enduring partnership, the U.S. government, through the U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM), in collaboration with the Drug Enforcement Administration, DEA, is honoured to hand over a dedicated office space for the NDLEA.
This dedicated facility will provide NDLEA officers with a safe and secure office space to conduct investigations, to process arrestees, and to conduct post-arrest interviews.
“Now this donation is the latest example of the robust and productive cooperation between the United States government and the NDLEA. In 2024, the U.S. government invested half a million dollars to modernize and equip the chemical forensic laboratory at the NDLEA zonal office here in Lagos. That upgraded laboratory is now equipped with cutting-edge technology, which enhances the NDLEA’s capacity to analyze suspicious substances and to process evidence from crime scenes and suspects.
“Over the years, our joint efforts have helped to build the capacity of the Nigerian authorities to disrupt drug trafficking networks, to dismantle clandestine meth labs, and to conduct advanced forensic analysis of synthetic drugs.
“We look forward to deepening our collaboration with the Nigerian government and its agencies as we continue to combat narcotics to disrupt the flow of illegal drugs, especially synthetic drugs, and that will better both of our societies.”
News
Nigerian Army ‘Destr0ys Over 70 Bandits Dens In Taraba, Wastes Three Terrorists’

During the operation, three terrorists were reportedly eliminated, and security forces recovered firearms and logistical supplies.
The Nigerian Army says it has destroyed over 70 camps used by bandits in Taraba State, as part of a continued effort to combat terrorism in the region.
During the operation, three terrorists were reportedly eliminated, and security forces recovered firearms and logistical supplies.
SaharaReporters learnt that the military engaged the terrorists at a hideout in Achelle, situated within the Karim Lamido Local Government Area, as part of their ongoing efforts to dismantle the remaining elements of terrorist groups in the state.
Captain Oni Olubodunde, spokesperson for the 6 Brigade of the Nigerian Army in Jalingo, confirmed the operation, stating that its primary objective was to identify and neutralise dangerous criminals active in the area.
Olubodunde further reported that, in addition to eliminating the three terrorists, security personnel seized an AK-47 rifle, ammunition, and two motorcycles during the operation, which took place on April 5, 2025.
“In continuation of Operation Lafiya Jama’a, a military offensive to remove criminal elements from Taraba State, the brave troops of the 6 Brigade Nigerian Army and Sector 3 Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) successfully neutralised three bandits, destroyed several camps, and seized weapons and ammunition during a daring clearance operation conducted in the Karim Lamido Local Government Area on April 5, 2025,” said Olubodunde.
The operation targeted suspected bandit hideouts, beginning in Achelle, where troops carried out a thorough sweep before advancing to Chibi.
As forces reportedly approached Chibi, the bandits attempted to escape but were intercepted. In the ensuing clash, three bandits were eliminated, and multiple makeshift camps were destroyed. Security personnel also seized two motorcycles, an AK-47 magazine, and 13 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition.
Furthermore, troops conducted extensive searches in the Dutsen Zaki and Achalle areas, where over 70 criminal camps have been dismantled in recent weeks.
According to Olubodunde, no signs of human activity were detected during this latest operation, underscoring the effectiveness of previous security efforts.
Brigadier General Kingsley Chidiebere Uwa, Commander of the 6 Brigade Nigerian Army, praised the troops for their dedication and strategic execution. He reassured the people of Taraba State that terrorists and criminals would find no refuge in the region.
General Uwa also urged residents to remain vigilant while going about their daily activities without fear. He emphasised the importance of maintaining law and order.
He encouraged the public to provide timely and credible information to security agencies, stressing that such cooperation is essential for ensuring the safety of local communities.
News
Herdsmen Storm Benue Hometown Of Ex-Senate President David Mark

Armed herdsmen in their continuous assault on Benue State communities have attacked Otobi Community in the Otukpo Local Government Area of the state, forcing residents to abandon their homes, farms and flee.
Otobi is the hometown of former Senate President, David Mark.
Mark, a retired Brigadier-General, served as the 12th President of the Nigerian Senate from 2007 to 2015 and was the longest serving Senate President.
Sources at the weekend revealed that the villagers, currently under attack, are now evacuating from their homes.
“Herdsmen are killing residents of Otobi in Otukpo LGA Benue State. They killed one last night and went round the community shooting. They are promising to attack again tonight,” a top source revealed.
“Villagers are evacuating. There is panic everywhere. This is same community where David Mark came from,” another source added.
The insecurity situation in Benue has been alarming in recent weeks with attacks from gunmen suspected to be herdsmen.
Recall during the week reported that some gunmen killed two persons and abducted 13 passengers near the Otukpo Burnt Bricks area in Otukpo Local Government Area.
The development was confirmed by the management of Benue Links Nigeria Limited in a statement issued by the company’s Information Officer, Johnson Daniel.
He had said efforts were ongoing to rescue the abducted passengers.
Confirming the incident, the Police Spokesperson for Benue State, SP Anene Sewuese Catherine, had acknowledged the attack and stated that more details would be provided soon.
“A kidnap incident involving a Benue Links vehicle has been reported. More details will be made available shortly,” she had said.
News
Nigerians to pay less for petrol as oil prices drop to $65 per barrel

There are indications that Nigerians would pay less for the Premium Motor Spirit, PMS, also known as petrol, as the price of Brent dropped to $65 per barrel from $69.90 per barrel in the global market.
The price of Brent is used globally to benchmark the prices of other crudes – major feedstocks – and by extension petroleum products prices.
Checks by Sunday Vanguard indicated that the development was partly fueled by the U.S. President Donald Trump’s announcement of sweeping new tariffs.
The checks further showed that it was also fueled by the decision of the Organisation of Oil Producing Countries and its allies to increase oil output by 410,000 barrels per day starting May 2025 far above the 135,000 barrels originally planned.
Slash
Already, the depot prices of Mainland, A.Y.M and Ever have dropped to N918 per litre from N920 and N919 from N920 per litre, respectively.
Also, the depot prices of Prudent, Eterna and Soroman have dropped to N912 from N913 per litre, N897 from N900 per litre and N915 from N916 per litre, respectively.
According to petroleumprice.ng, oil marketers would likely adjust their pump prices downwards as they get new supplies this week, if the current market condition persists.
Fares
In a telephone interview with Sunday Vanguard, weekend, the President of Petroleum Products Retail Outlets Owners Association of Nigeria, PETROAN, Billy Gillis-Harry, expressed optimism that the development would culminate in low costs of fares, goods and services if the fundamentals persist in the market.
Meanwhile, in a report, OPEC stated: “The eight OPEC+ countries, which previously announced additional voluntary adjustments in April and November 2023, namely Saudi Arabia, Russia, Iraq, UAE, Kuwait, Kazakhstan, Algeria, and Oman met virtually on 3 April 2025, to review global market conditions and outlook.
“In view of the continuing healthy market fundamentals and the positive market outlook, and in accordance with the decision agreed upon on 5 December 2024, subsequently reaffirmed on 3 March 2025, to start a gradual and flexible return of the 2.2 million barrels per day voluntary adjustments starting from 1 April 2025, the eight participating countries will implement a production adjustment of 411 thousand barrels per day, equivalent to three monthly increments, in May 2025.
“This comprises the increment originally planned for May in addition to two monthly increments. The gradual increases may be paused or reversed subject to evolving market conditions. This flexibility will allow the group to continue to support oil market stability. The eight OPEC+ countries also noted that this measure will provide an opportunity for the participating countries to accelerate their compensation.
“The eight countries reaffirmed their commitment to the voluntary production adjustments agreed at the 53rd Joint Ministerial Monitoring Committee, JMMC meeting on 3 April 2024. They also confirmed their intention to fully compensate any overproduced volume since January 2024 and to submit updated front-loaded compensation plans to the OPEC Secretariat by 15 April 2025.”
-
Politics5 hours ago
Tinubu Gives Fani Kayode, Others New Appointments (See Full List)
-
News20 hours ago
Security Alert: Police alert officers ahead of nationwide protest over living costs, free speech
-
News5 hours ago
DANGER! Ex-Soldier Abubakar Affan Vows to Kill VeryDarkMan ‘Like Deborah Samuel’
-
News8 hours ago
Why NYSC maybe extended by FG- Minister
-
News18 hours ago
VOA Halts Operations In Nigeria, Others Over President Trump
-
Economy8 hours ago
CBN allocates $197.71m into FX market to support naira
-
News19 hours ago
Police rescue 14 kidnapped passengers of Benue Links
-
News8 hours ago
Ibas moves to rehabilitate damaged Rivers LG secretariats