Connect with us

News

“6,000 Medical doctors Left for Nigerians: Opportunities for African Traditional Medicines, Medical Cannabis, and the Revenue Item for the Tax Reform Bills”

Published

on

By

Dr. Tonye Clinton Jaja,
Executive Director,
Nigerian Law Society (NLS).

On 23rd January 2025, it was reported that:

“…about 1,300 (medical) consultants left Nigeria in the last five years.

Advertisement

On Thursday, the Medical and Dental Consultants Association of Nigeria (MDCAN) said only 6,000 consultants are left in the country.

The association’s president, Muhammad Mohammad, said this during the association’s National Executive Council (NEC) Meeting in Ilorin, Kwara State.”

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO) “ratio of medical doctors to population varies by country and can be used to determine how many physicians a service area needs.

The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends a ratio of one doctor per 1,000 people.”

Advertisement

Going by the current population of Nigeria, which is approximately 230,000,000 (two hundred and thirty million persons), it means that the ratio of medical doctors to the Nigerian population is three medical doctors to one hundred and fifteen thousand persons (3:115,000).

So assuming that a medical doctor takes two days to attend to one Nigerian citizen or resident, it would take the said medical doctor one full year (without taking any holiday) to attend to the said quota of 115,000.

This ratio (3:115,000) is 100 times above the WHO recommended standard ratio of one medical doctor to 1,000 population (1:1000).

As bleak as these statistics may appear, it presents an opportunity for both the receipt of foreign exchange and development of indigenous traditional medicine manufacturing.

Advertisement

Medical cannabis (popular known as Indian hemp or “Igbo”, “weed”, “ganja”) is now the new “crude oil” and foreign exchange earner for many African countries such as the Kingdom of Lesotho.

As far back as the year 2008, Lesotho amended it’s laws to comply with the relevant United Nations legislation to decriminalise and permit the cultivation and sale of the species of cannabis that is known as “medical cannabis”.

“Following the December 2, 2020, vote by the United Nations Commission on Narcotic Drugs, the removal of cannabis and cannabis resin from that Schedule entered into force in 2021. Since 2021, cannabis and cannabis resin remain listed in Schedule I of the Single Convention, alongside extracts and tinctures of cannabis.”

In a nutshell, the implication was that: “At that time, the ECDD, a Committee of the United Nations Office of Drugs and Crimes advised that certain cannabis-derived medicines like cannabidiol (CBD)have no potential to be abused or cause dependence but have significant health benefits for children with treatment-resistant epilepsy, and therefore should not be placed under international control.”

Advertisement

With this re-classification of cannabis, “In the 2019 African Cannabis Report, Lesotho’s industry was projected to be worth at least $92m (£76m) by 2023.”

Revenue in Lesotho’s Cannabis market is forecasted to reach US$3.77m in 2025. The revenue is anticipated to demonstrate an annual growth rate (CAGR 2025-2029) of 1.17%, leading to a market volume of US$3.95m by 2029.”

The BBC reported that:
The high altitude combined with fertile soils, untainted by pesticides, enables growers to produce a high-quality crop, valued all over the world.

Last year, (2017) Lesotho became the first African country to legalise the cultivation of marijuana for medicinal purposes, spawning a new sector in a country where the economy struggles to create employment opportunities.”

Advertisement

Going by the foregoing, Lesotho has increased it’s foreign exchange earnings through the sale of medical cannabis to Canada and other European countries that utilise it for the manufacture of medicines for treatment of cancer and epilepsy.

Let it be repeated here that Lesotho legalised the cultivation of MEDICAL CANNABIS for production of medication. This is different from cannabis that is used for recreational use. This species is not legalised.

This distinction is very important considering that some law-makers frown at the idea or even the mere mention of cannabis (Igbo, weed, ganja, skunk, etc.).

About the year 2022, or thereabouts, I still recall the difficulty of convincing my wife (who is a lawyer not to mention others) about why I was involved as a legal consultant for the drafting of a Bill to Legalise the Cultivation of Medicinal Cannabis in Nigeria. The said Bill was sponsored by Hon. Miriam Onuoha of the House of Representatives, National Assembly of Nigeria.

Advertisement

During my legislative advocacy, to promote the said Bill, the current majority leader told me point-blank that his constituents would not be happy that he is supporting a Bill to legalise the cultivation of MEDICAL CANNABIS, which he kept referring to as “Igbo” (the pidgin English language name) instead of the botanical name (cannabis sativa), which sounds more refined!!!!

I also approached a very popular human rights lawyer who is also a Senior Advocate of Nigeria-SAN to support the advocacy by filing a public interest lawsuit to compel the National Assembly to enact a law to give effect or “domesticate” the said UN legislation that de-classified cannabis. He “diplomatically” turned it down because of the risks to his reputation.

However, the current Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, National Assembly who had taken his time to read about the medical value of medicinal cannabis is on record as giving 100% support to the said Bill.

Several medical doctors provided myself and other members of our team with results of scientific studies that support the medical and medicinal benefits of the species of cannabis known as medical cannabis. It was an eye-opener for me.

Advertisement

It was based on those tangible, empirical evidence that I supported the drafting of a Bill for legalisation of cultivation of MEDICAL CANNABIS.

And it is on that basis that I now support the opportunity for Nigeria to increase it’s foreign exchange earnings through the cultivation of MEDICAL CANNABIS.

This has to be done under very strict regulations.

As the Government of Lesotho is doing, they enter into a direct partnership agreement that allows the foreign companies to be involved in the cultivation and processing and exporting of the medical cannabis.

Advertisement

It is not safe to allow indigenous Nigerians to be involved directly in the cultivation and processing and packing and exporting (“make them no come smoke am, or steal am finish”-as we would say in pidgin English language).

From the foregoing, it is obvious that the dearth of medical doctors in Nigeria present a golden opportunity for the growth and development of indigenous traditional medicine industry in Nigeria.

The Nigerian soil and tropical climate supports the growth of plants and trees that are the raw materials for production of medicines that can cure a lot of ailments.

Growing up as a child, I inherited asthma, as my grandfather was always with an inhaler. On one of the boat rides from ogoniland to my village (Opobo town) in the year 1987 or thereabouts, because of the exposure to cold breeze, I suffered an asthma attack and I was rushed to the local hospital upon disembarking from the boat. My mother who witnessed the whole incident told me that it was an elderly person with knowledge of local herbs that boiled some plants that was used to revive me after I drank it. And that was the last time, I experienced any sort of asthma attacks not even when I was resident in the United Kingdom, which has a colder weather than Nigeria. Till today, I have not used any inhaler, since the year 1987.

Advertisement

So this is a testament to the potency of our traditional medicines.

However, we are not paying attention to it as an alternative source of medicine and foreign exchange earnings.

It is hoped that this current dearth of medical doctors in Nigeria will open our eyes to the golden opportunity.

As the saying goes: “God never closes a door, without opening a window somewhere else”-Sound of Music (1964)!!!

Advertisement

News

There’s valid evidence of Akpabio sexually harassing me; I’ll release it, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan declares

Published

on

By

Kogi Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan has vowed to release evidence of Senator Godswill Akpabio sexually harassing her at the right time.

Mrs Akpoti-Uduaghan disclosed this in an interview with Channels TV on Thursday night when told that Mr Akpabio said she has no evidence to back up her sexual harassment allegation against him.

“At the right time and at the right space, I will present the evidence that I have,” Mrs Akpoti-Uduaghan said.

Aniete Ekong, spokesperson for Mr Akpabio, could not be reached for comment on Mrs Akpoti-Uduaghan’s statement. A WhatsApp message sent to him was not replied to.

Advertisement

Mrs Akpoti-Uduaghan’s statement comes after the Independent National Electoral Commission dismissed the recall petition filed against her on Thursday.

The Kogi Central lawmaker was suspended from the Senate on February 28 after she accused Mr Akpabio of sexual harassment and abuse of office.

The Senate suspended her for six months, withheld her salaries, and withdrew her security detail, citing unruly behavior during plenary.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Delta issues 21-day ultimatum to unapproved schools

Published

on

By

The Delta State Government has vowed to shut down all unapproved nursery and primary schools across the state.

The measure is being taken “to sanitise the private sector participation in the primary education sector in the state.”

This was contained in a government special announcement signed by the Director of Public Communication/Functioning Permanent Secretary in the State Ministry of Information, Theresa Adiabua Oliko.

Copies were made available to journalists in Warri on Thursday.

Advertisement

The government, however, advised owners of all unapproved primary schools across the state to “upgrade” within the 21-day ultimatum or risk being shut down.

The public announcement partly reads, “It is hereby announced for the information of the public, particularly owners of private nursery and primary schools in Delta State, that the government, pursuance to its responsibility to sanitise the private sector participation in the primary education sector in the state, that all unapproved primary schools in the state are hereby given a 21-day ultimatum to upgrade their infrastructure and formalise their status with the ministry of primary education with immediate effect.

“Failure to comply with this directive will attract severe sanctions, including outright closure of all such schools.

“The 21-day ultimatum has become imperative as a result of the proliferation of unapproved private schools whose poor infrastructural facilities, unqualified teachers and unhealthy operational environment have become worrisome to the state government.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

I’m not behind Elisha Abbo’s sacking from Senate – Akpabio

Published

on

By

The Senate President, Senator Godswill Akpabio on Thursday, berated former lawmaker representing Adamawa North Senatorial District, Elisha Abbo, saying he has no hand in his removal from the National Assembly.

The clarification was made in a statement issued in Abuja by Akpabio’s media aide, Eseme Eyiboh.

Abbo was sacked by the Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja on October 16, 2023.

The judgment delivered by a three-member panel presided over by Justice C.E. Nwosu-Iheme ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission to issue a Certificate of Return to Amos Yohanna of the Peoples Democratic Party as the duly elected lawmaker representing the area at the Senate.

Advertisement

The appellate court vacated the tribunal judgment which had earlier affirmed Abbo of the All Progressives Congress as the winner of the senatorial election.

But speaking on a live programme on Arise Television on Wednesday, Abbo blamed Akpabio for his predicament.

The Adamawa politician also accused the Senate President of running the Red Chamber like an emperor.

This was even as he condemned the suspension of the senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, who is presently battling to retain her mandate.

Advertisement

Reacting, Akpabio said he was shocked to hear Abbo blame him again for his ouster from the Senate barely two years after apologising to him.

He said, “It is sad and regrettable that despite publicly retracting a similar allegation in 2023—after admitting that his earlier accusation was premature and based on the available information at our disposal—Mr. Abbo has once again embarked on a campaign of misinformation and blame transfer.

“Following a discussion with the Senate President last year, Mr. Abbo himself acknowledged that Senator Akpabio had ‘no involvement’ in the judicial process that led to his removal. It is puzzling that he would now return to the same baseless allegations he once renounced.”

Continuing, Akpabio emphasised that it was the court and not him that determined his fate before he was consequently removed.

Advertisement

The former governor asserted that he, therefore, found it illogical and irresponsible that Abbo could turn around and allege that he influenced the judgment that he accepted at the time.

“It is there in the papers (see PUNCH Newspaper of 18th October 2023). Mr Abbo has also sought to create the impression that he was unjustly denied official benefits following his ouster. He claims entitlement to salaries, allowances, and even an official vehicle, despite the court’s declaration that his tenure was null and void ab initio.

“If any of Abbo’s claims for payment did not reach the desk of the Senate President, it is because they failed to meet these lawful standards—not because of any personal or political vendetta. It is unfortunate that instead of accepting the consequences of his legal and political failings, Abbo continues to resort to media theatrics and reckless finger-pointing.

“Akpabio remains focused on the noble task of nation-building, providing purposeful leadership in the Senate, and strengthening democratic institutions—especially the independence of the judiciary. He will not be distracted by the antics of individuals who seek to rewrite history to mask personal failures.

Advertisement

“We urge Mr Abbo to reflect deeply, respect the rule of law, and focus on rebuilding the confidence of his constituents if he hopes to return to public life. Nigeria’s democracy can only thrive when its actors show maturity, responsibility, and an abiding respect for the truth,” the statement added.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News