Foreign
Israel Forces Fire On Gazans Rushing For Food Aid
- /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/Gazans-Rushing-For-Food-Aid.jpg&description=Israel Forces Fire On Gazans Rushing For Food Aid', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/Gazans-Rushing-For-Food-Aid.jpg&description=Israel Forces Fire On Gazans Rushing For Food Aid', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
Israeli forces in war-torn Gaza opened fire on Palestinians scrambling for food aid in a chaotic melee on Thursday that the health ministry in the Hamas-run territory said killed more than 100 people.
The Israeli military said a “stampede” occurred when thousands of desperate Gazans surrounded a convoy of 38 aid trucks, leading to dozens of deaths and injuries, including some who were run over by the lorries.
An Israeli source acknowledged troops had opened fire on the crowd, believing it “posed a threat”.
The Gaza health ministry condemned what it called a “massacre” in Gaza City in which 112 people were killed and more than 750 others wounded.
The incident adds to a Palestinian death toll from the war which the ministry earlier Thursday said had topped 30,000, and dampens hopes a truce deal between Israel and Hamas militants could be just days away.
There were conflicting reports on what exactly unfolded in the hours before dawn.
A witness in Gaza City, declining to be named for safety reasons, said violence unfolded when thousands of people rushed towards aid trucks at the city’s western Nabulsi roundabout, and soldiers fired at the crowd “as people came too close” to tanks.
Israeli army spokesman Daniel Hagari said the military had fired “a few warning shots” to try to disperse a crowd that had ambushed the aid trucks.
When the crowd got too big, he said the convoy tried to retreat and “the unfortunate incident resulted in dozens of Gazans killed and injured”.
Aerial images released by the Israeli army showed what it said were scores of Gazans surrounding aid trucks in Gaza City.
Ali Awad Ashqir, who said he had gone to get some food for his starving family, told AFP he had been waiting for two hours when trucks began to arrive.
“The moment they arrived, the occupation army fired artillery shells and guns,” he said.
The army spokesman Hagari later denied Israeli forces carried out any shelling or strikes at the time.
‘Another day from hell’
US President Joe Biden said Washington was checking “two competing versions” of the incident, while a State Department spokesman said the United States had been in touch with Israel and was “pressing for answers” on what happened.
The shooting incident would complicate efforts to broker a truce, Biden said, later admitting that any deal was unlikely to happen by Monday — the timeline that he had predicted earlier this week.
The US president spoke with Qatari and Egyptian leaders in separate phone calls, the White House said, saying he discussed both the ceasefire and the “tragic and alarming” aid incident.
The UN Security Council will hold a closed-door emergency meeting on the incident on Thursday afternoon.
Saudi Arabia strongly condemned what it called the “targeting” of unarmed civilians, while Kuwait and the UAE also issued condemnations.
Qatar warned that Israel’s “disregard for Palestinian blood… (will) pave the way for an expanding cycle of violence”.
Italy called for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza to facilitate more humanitarian aid.
Looting of aid trucks has previously occurred in northern Gaza, where desperate residents have taken to eating animal fodder and even leaves to try to stave off starvation, as aid groups warn of looming famine after nearly five months of war.
The chief of the United Nations agency for Palestinian refugees, UNRWA, said that no UN agency had been involved in Thursday’s aid delivery, and called it “another day from hell”.
Truce hopes
The war began on October 7 with an unprecedented Hamas attack on southern Israel that resulted in the deaths of around 1,160 people, mostly civilians, Israeli figures show.
Militants also took about 250 hostages, 130 of whom remain in Gaza, including 31 Israel says are presumed dead.
Israel’s retaliatory military campaign has killed 30,035 people, according to the Hamas-run Gaza’s health ministry.
Israel’s military says 242 soldiers have died in Gaza since ground operations began in late October.
Washington, a key ally of Israel, has been pushing for a reduction in civilian casualties and a ceasefire.
It has been working with mediators from Egypt and Qatar to seek a six-week pause in the war.
Negotiators had hoped a truce could begin by around March 10 or 11 when the Muslim holy month of Ramadan begins, depending on the lunar calendar.
The proposals reportedly include the release of some Israeli hostages held in Gaza by militants in exchange for hundreds of Palestinians held in Israeli prisons.
Short of the complete withdrawal Hamas has called for, a source from the group said the deal might see Israeli forces leave “cities and populated areas”, allowing the return of some displaced Palestinians and humanitarian relief.
Fears of famine
The World Food Programme has said Israel has blocked access for aid deliveries — which Israeli officials have denied — and warned that if nothing changes, “a famine is imminent in northern Gaza”.
As fighting continued in Gaza, Muhammad Yassin, 35, battled to find flour in Zeitun.
“We have not eaten a loaf of bread for two months,” he said. “Our children are starving.”
In the south, nearly 1.5 million people trying to flee the fighting are now packed into Rafah city, also short of food, as Israel threatens to send in troops against Hamas fighters.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has come under increasing pressure to bring the remaining hostages home.
A group of 150 Israelis have started a four-day march from Reim, near the Gaza border, to Jerusalem, calling for the government to reach a deal.
Violence has also surged in the occupied West Bank, where two Israelis were killed on Thursday.
AFP
Foreign
Strait of Hormuz: US doesn’t need China’s help – Trump
U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday said Washington does not expect to need Beijing’s help to end the war with Iran and ease Tehran’s grip on the Strait of Hormuz.
Trump is in China for a high-stakes summit with President Xi Jinping.
Speaking before departing from Washington, Trump played down the role China could have in resolving the conflict, in which both sides have blocked maritime traffic through a waterway that normally carries one-fifth of the world’s oil supplies.
“I don’t think we need any help with Iran. We’ll win it one way or the other, peacefully or otherwise,” he told reporters.
More than one month after a tenuous ceasefire took effect, U.S. and Iranian demands to end the war remain far apart.
Washington has called for Tehran to scrap its nuclear programme and lift its chokehold on the strait, while Iran has demanded compensation for war damage, an end to the U.S. blockade and a halt to fighting on all fronts, including in Lebanon where Israel is battling Iran-backed Hezbollah.
Trump has dismissed those positions as “garbage.”
Iran, meanwhile, has appeared to firm up its control over the Strait of Hormuz, cutting deals with Iraq and Pakistan to ship oil and liquefied natural gas from the region, according to sources with knowledge of the matter.
A Chinese supertanker carrying two million barrels of Iraqi crude was attempting to sail through the strait, ship-tracking data showed on Wednesday.
If successful, the voyage would mark the third known passage by a Chinese oil tanker through the channel since the U.S. and Israel launched strikes on Iran on February 28.
Other countries are exploring similar shipping arrangements with Iran, sources said, potentially entrenching Tehran’s control of the waterway through which fertilisers, petrochemicals and other bulk commodities vital to global supply chains normally flow.
The Trump administration on Tuesday said senior U.S. and Chinese officials had agreed in April that no country should be able to charge tolls on traffic through the region, in an effort to project consensus on the issue ahead of the summit.
China, a major buyer of Iranian oil that maintains close ties with Tehran, did not dispute that account.
As the costs of the conflict mount, Trump said Americans’ financial struggles were not a factor in his decision-making on the war.
Data released on Tuesday showed that U.S. consumer inflation accelerated in April, with the annual rate posting its largest gain in three years as food, rent and airfares rose.
Asked to what extent the economic strain on Americans was motivating him to strike a deal, Trump replied: “Not even a little bit.”
“I don’t think about Americans’ financial situation. I think about one thing: We cannot let Iran have a nuclear weapon’’ Trump said before leaving for China.
The remarks are likely to draw scrutiny as cost-of-living concerns remain a top issue for voters ahead of November’s midterm elections.
The International Energy Agency said the conflict is weighing heavily on global energy markets with more than one billion barrels of Middle East supply already lost.
According to IEA, global oil supply will fall by around 3.9 million barrels per day across 2026 and undershoot demand due to disruptions caused by the Iran war.
Brent crude futures edged down slightly to around 107 dollars per barrel, after a three-day rally driven by the Hormuz deadlock.
U.S. Central Command said the aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln was in the Arabian Sea enforcing a maritime blockade, redirecting 65 commercial vessels and disabling four others.
The Pentagon put the cost of the war at 29 billion so far, an increase of four billion dollars from an estimate provided in April.
Iran has demanded security guarantees for Lebanon as part of its proposal to end the wider war, but despite a U.S.-mediated ceasefire announced in April, Israel has continued to strike Hezbollah.
Israeli airstrikes on a highway south of Beirut killed eight people, including two children, according to Lebanon’s health ministry.
In Tehran, Iranian officials remained defiant.
Iran had expanded its definition of the Strait of Hormuz into a zone stretching from the coast of the city of Jask in the east to Siri Island in the west.
In the capital, where a series of small earthquakes were reported overnight, the Guards held drills centred on preparation to confront the enemy.
(Reuters/NAN)
Foreign
Three women found dead in sea off Brighton beach
Three women have been found dead with their bodies recovered from the sea off Brighton in the United Kingdom (UK).
According to the police, a search started at 05:45 BST after worries about a person’s welfare in the sea were voiced. The women’s identities are unknown.
The Coast Guard has concluded its search and stated it is not searching for anyone else, though it is still unclear how the women ended up in the water.
“This is a tragic incident. We are at the very early stages of our enquiries.” Chief Supt Adam Hays said.
According to the BBC, the bodies were pulled from the water near Madeira Drive, which runs along the beachfront.
According to Sussex Police, a sizeable cordon was erected around Black Rock Beach, and it will stay in place until at least this evening.
Sussex police and crime commissioner, Katy Bourne, has asked the public to “refrain from speculation”.
Bourne said in a post on X that her thoughts were with the friends and loved ones of the three women who died.
“We must allow police to investigate and refrain from speculation at this time,” she added.
The BBC reports that most of the emergency services had left the scene by the afternoon, with three police vans remaining, and disclosed that many people in the community expressed shock after the incident.
Jilly Francis, a regular sea-swimmer in the area, said, “I live very close by, and this is the worst I think I’ve heard of anything happening.
“Today is very rough, so I’d be surprised if they were regular swimmers. I wouldn’t swim today because it’s too rough, but I normally swim in the summer when it’s calmer.
“There can be rips or currents, but most of the time this particular bit of the beach is quite safe.”
Pam Hinchliffe, a resident who was visiting the beach, said, “It’s tragic. My understanding is it was very early in the morning, so you start thinking, ‘what could possibly have caused that?’ It’s a tragedy.”
Hays added, “Our priority right now is to identify all three women and contact their next of kin.”
“I know this incident will be highly distressing for the community, and we are working hard with our partners to understand exactly what has happened.”
Brighton Kemptown and Peacehaven MP Chris Ward said it was “understandably very concerning for our community and everyone affected”.
The leader of Brighton & Hove City Council, Bella Sankey, said she was “shocked and deeply saddened.
“My heart goes out to the friends and family of these women, and on behalf of Brighton & Hove, I send sincere condolences.”
Sian Berry, MP for Brighton Pavilion, said: ‘Unbearably sad news this morning. My thoughts are with the families and friends of these three women.”
(BBC)
Foreign
Trump to suspend US gas tax as Iran war raises prices
US President Donald Trump said on Monday that he plans to suspend a federal gasoline tax as consumers deal with surging energy prices in the wake of the Iran war.
Responding to a reporter’s question at the White House, Trump said he would be taking the step, with the suspension to remain in place “till it’s appropriate.”
“It’s a small percentage, but you know it’s still money,” he said.
US federal taxes on gasoline amount to 18.4 cents per gallon on gasoline and 24.4 cents per gallon for diesel, according to the US Energy Information Administration (EIA).
Suspending the tax would require an act of Congress, where Trump’s Republican party holds a razor-thin majority in both houses.
Trump ally Senator Josh Hawley said he would introduce legislation to do so on Monday. In the House, Republican Anna Paulina Luna made a similar pledge to introduce a bill “this week.”
US fuel prices have skyrocketed since Trump launched the war on Iran, with gasoline and diesel both up about 50 percent since late February.
Iran’s retaliatory action has included virtually closing the key Strait of Hormuz, through which about a fifth of the world’s oil and natural gas passes.
On Monday, the average price of a gallon of regular gasoline in the United States was $4.52, with diesel at $5.64, according to the AAA motor club.
Suspending the federal fuel tax would bring those prices down by about four percent.
State taxes on fuel, which average 32.61 cents per gallon for gasoline and 34.76 cents for diesel according to the EIA, would be unaffected by the move.
AFP
-
News12 hours agoDHQ releases details about slain ISIS top leader, Al-Minuki
-
News13 hours agoAPC releases list of disqualified Reps aspirants across Nigeria
-
News23 hours agoUS and Nigerian forces kill ISIS 2nd in command in joint operation-Trump reveals
-
News18 hours agoFinal Farewell in Delta as Family, Community Honour Mama Eunice Ikpen
-
News10 hours agoVideo/Photos:Rescued alive after being buried under rubble of a collapsed building for more than 9 hours
-
News14 hours agoGumi Speaks On Killing Of ISIS Commander, Al-Minuki
-
News21 hours agoGen Otiki: Finally, Supreme Court acquits ex-GOC of all charges
-
News14 hours agoSad: Fayose loses wife to Cancer
