Connect with us

News

Over 120 Members of House Press Corps Enrolled in FCT Health Insurance Scheme

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

…as Reps Pledge Wider Coverage

By Gloria Ikibah

Members of the House of Representatives Press Corps (HoRPC) were on Thursday formally enrolled into the Federal Capital Territory Health Insurance Scheme, as the  10th House restated its commitment to strengthening welfare support for journalists covering legislative affairs.

Speaking at the symbolic presentation of the enrolment identity cards in Abuja, on Thursday, the Spokesperson of the House and Chairman, House Committee on Media and Publicity, Rep. Akin Rotimi, described the initiative as the beginning of a broader partnership aimed at improving access to sustainable healthcare for journalists.

Advertisement

The Spokesperson acknowledged the role played by the Speaker of the House, Rt. Hon. Tajudeen Abbas, noting that the initiative was made possible through his support.

“What is happening today is only the beginning. There is much more that we can and will do. We thank you for your partnership and for the work you do.

“I wish I could take credit for what is happening today, but this initiative has been possible because of the strong support of the Speaker, Rt Hon Abbas Tajudeen. From the commencement of the 10th Assembly, we made open engagement and strengthening the capacity of the Press Corps one of our fundamental principles.

“We recognise that members of the Press Corps work just as hard as we do. Everywhere we go, they are there covering our activities and amplifying our work. They are critical stakeholders in the legislative affairs of this country”, he said.

Advertisement

The lawmaker also commended the FCT Health Services and Environment Secretariat for driving the process, as well as the administration of the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, for reforms within the health insurance system.

“We commend him for the strides recorded under his administration. We have noted significant achievements, including the clearance of substantial insurance claim backlogs between 2022 and 2024. Clearing those debts strengthens the health insurance system and ensures more sustainable healthcare financing,” Rotimi said.

He disclosed that over 198,000 residents had been enrolled in the FCT Health Insurance Scheme within one year, describing it as a significant milestone. He also highlighted free maternal and child healthcare services, including coverage for children under five and other vulnerable groups.

Rotimi linked the initiative to the Renewed Hope health agenda of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, emphasising that preventive healthcare must remain central to national strategy.

Advertisement

“These are commendable steps towards building a system that leaves no one behind.

“Preventive healthcare is also central to the strategy. Public health education, regular screenings and periodic medical checks are critical. I personally choose my wedding anniversary each year as a date for my family to undergo routine health checks. Everyone can designate a particular date annually for medical screening. Early detection reduces pressure on secondary and tertiary health facilities and improves outcomes.

“I encourage all members of the Press Corps to take advantage of the opportunities created by the House of Representatives for breast cancer screening, cervical cancer screening, prostate screening and other annual tests. You work long hours, sometimes late into the night, and often neglect your own wellbeing. But we need you healthy and strong to continue discharging your mandate effectively”, he stated.

In a move to broaden the reach of the programme, Rotimi announced that ten additional executives of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) FCT Council had been included among the beneficiaries.

Advertisement

“We hope that this initiative can eventually be extended to cover more journalists in Abuja. In fact, we have included ten additional executives of the NUJ Abuja Council in this programme, which accounts for the additional beneficiaries announced,” he said.

Calling on well-meaning individuals and organisations to support vulnerable persons through health insurance sponsorship, the lawmaker noted that an annual contribution of ₦22,500 per person could secure coverage.

“In this season of Ramadan and Lent, what better gift can one give than the gift of health insurance? Instead of temporary gestures, this provides year-long security and dignity,” he said.

Rotimi added that wider participation in the scheme would strengthen the pooled fund system and improve access to essential medicines.

Advertisement

“The pooled funds strengthen the entire health system, including the drug revolving fund, ensuring availability of essential medicines and improved hospital viability. Health insurance must translate into access to quality care when beneficiaries visit health facilities,” he said.

He expressed confidence that the initiative would be sustained, thanking officials of the FCT Health Services Secretariat, members of the Press Corps leadership and staff of his office for their contributions.

The Mandate Secretary of the FCT Health Services and Environment Secretariat, Dr Dolapo Fasawe, expressed “immense pleasure” at what she called a “remarkable and generous decision” by Hon. Akin Rotimi to sponsor the health insurance of all 120 members of the press corps for one year.

Dr Fasawe who was represented by the Permanent Secretary, Dr. Baba-Gaba Adams, said the Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on Media and Public Affairs had shown “exemplary leadership, compassion, and a deep commitment to the welfare of those who serve our nation through information and public accountability.”

Advertisement

“This noble gesture is not only commendable; it is visionary.

“By voluntarily sponsoring the health insurance coverage of the press corps, Hon. Rotimi has demonstrated exemplary leadership, compassion, and a deep commitment to the welfare of those who serve our nation through information and public accountability. A healthy press is vital to a healthy democracy, and this act ensures that those who keep us informed can access quality healthcare without financial hardship”, she said.

She noted that the initiative aligns with the flagship “Adopt and Enrol” programme of the FCT Health Insurance Scheme, designed to expand access to healthcare through collective responsibility.

“This initiative aligns perfectly with our flagship programme at FHIS, ‘Adopt and Enrol.’ Through this programme, we encourage philanthropists, corporate organisations, public office holders, and well-meaning Nigerians of great standing to pay health insurance premiums on behalf of persons in our communities. It is a practical pathway toward achieving Universal Health Coverage and fulfilling our collective goal that no one is left behind.

Advertisement

“We call on other leaders, institutions, and kind-hearted Nigerians to emulate this worthy example,” she said, adding that affordability should not be a barrier to participation.

“With just ₦22,500 per individual per year, anyone can enrol a person into the FCT Health Insurance Scheme and give them access to quality healthcare services,” Dr Fasawe said.

Dr Fasawe also acknowledged the support of the leadership of the press corps in bringing the initiative to fruition.

“I’ll like to thank the Chairman of the press corps and other executives who gave us an unalloyed support to achieve this great idea. Together, through shared responsibility and social solidarity, we can reduce out-of-pocket spending and build a healthier, more productive society,” she said.

Advertisement

On behalf of the Secretariat and the FCT Health Insurance Scheme, she conveyed her appreciation to Hon. Rotimi, expressing hope that the gesture would inspire wider participation in health insurance coverage across the territory.

“On behalf of the FCT Health Services and Environment Secretariat and the FCT Health Insurance Scheme, I sincerely thank Hon. Akin Rotimi for this impactful contribution. May this act inspire many more to rise to the call of humanity and support the drive toward Universal Health Coverage in the Federal Capital Territory and beyond,” she said.

Chairman of the House Committee on Nutrition and Food Security, Chike Okafor, described the intervention as historic and commended the leadership of the 10th Assembly for supporting the initiative.

“I am particularly pleased that it is happening in the 10th Assembly,” he said.
Okafor, who previously chaired the House Committee on Healthcare Services, underscored the value of health insurance in protecting citizens from catastrophic health costs.

Advertisement

“My purpose here is to support my friend and colleague as he marks this important milestone of enrolling over one hundred members of the Press Corps into a health insurance programme.”

He said health insurance remains one of the most effective mechanisms for expanding healthcare access and improving welfare outcomes.

In a goodwill message, Chairperson of the FCT Council of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Comrade Grace Ike, said the initiative underscored the importance of journalists in democratic governance.

She said improved welfare would strengthen professionalism and accountability in the media.

Advertisement

“Health insurance is not a luxury; it is protection. Media professionals work under intense pressure; tight deadlines, constant mobility, exposure to risks, and the mental strain that comes with covering governance and national issues.

“When journalists are healthy and secure, they are better positioned to discharge their duties with clarity, courage, and professionalism”, she said.

Ike added that the initiative strengthens democratic engagement by supporting those who provide credible information to the public.

“This initiative therefore strengthens not just the welfare of the Press Corps, but the quality of democratic engagement itself.”

Advertisement

Chairman of the House of Representatives Press Corps, Gboyega Onadiran, described the programme as a practical step toward universal health coverage in Nigeria.

He expressed appreciation to the House Spokesperson and the FCT Health Services Secretariat for the collaboration that made the initiative possible.

“Health insurance remains one of the most effective tools to protect families from catastrophic health expenses. As journalists, we are witnesses to the realities many Nigerians face when healthcare is not affordable.

“Today’s initiative is a practical step in that direction. It demonstrates that achieving universal coverage requires partnership, commitment, and deliberate action”, he added.

Advertisement

Onadiran urged organisations and professional bodies to prioritise the health of their members by embracing structured health insurance schemes.

Participants described the intervention as a demonstration of how legislative leadership, health authorities and the media community can collaborate to advance public welfare while strengthening democratic institutions.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

FCT Area Council polls force postponement of GCIC’s “Abuja Power Touch” programme

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The leadership of God’s City International Church (GCIC), Abuja, has announced the postponement of its “Special Abuja Power Touch Night” scheduled for today, Friday, February 20, 2026 by one week.

The event will now be held on Friday, February 27, 2026, according to a statement by the Church Administration.

The Church said “this decision followed the official announcement by the Honourable Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Minister Ezenwo Nyesom Wike, as well as directives from the Federal Capital Territory Police Command regarding the restriction of movement across the FCT in preparation for the Area Council Elections scheduled for Saturday, 21st February 2026.

“In compliance with the security measures and in the interest of the safety and convenience of our members and guests, the programme will now hold on:Friday, 27th February 2026 with Venue and time remaining unchanged.

Advertisement

“We encourage all members to participate peacefully in the electoral process and continue to pray for peaceful and credible elections within the Federal Capital Territory.

“We appreciate your understanding and cooperation. Kindly share this information across all church platforms and groups”

Signed:
Church Administration
God’s City International Church (GCIC)
#AbujaSpecialPowertouchNight2026

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

El-Rufai: DSS Reopens Dadiyata Probe, Set To Invite Suspects

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Department of State Services (DSS) has reopened investigations into the 2019 disappearance of Abubakar Idris, popularly known as Dadiyata, and is set to invite suspects for questioning in connection with the case.

Dadiyata, a lecturer at the Federal University Dutsinma, was declared missing on August 1, 2019, after gunmen reportedly abducted him from his residence in Kaduna State.

Nearly seven years after the incident, his whereabouts remain unknown.

A security source disclosed that the DSS had revived the case alongside other unresolved cases of missing persons.

Advertisement

“The DSS has reopened the case of the 2019 disappearance in Kaduna of a renowned government critic, Abubakar Idris, better known as Dadiyata, and several other cases of missing persons,” the source told The PUNCH.

The development comes amid renewed public attention following a video interview released by ambassador-designate Reno Omokri on his X handle.

In the interview, Kadijah, Dadiyata’s wife, expressed fresh concerns over her husband’s disappearance and appealed for help.

“We pray that one day, he will come back,” she said when asked about the long years of uncertainty.

Advertisement

Appealing to Nigerians, she added, “They should please do whatever they can to help us know his whereabouts, if he’s alive or not.”

Kadijah recounted how her husband was abducted as he alighted from his car in their compound on August 2, 2019, saying she witnessed the incident from a window.

She also reacted to an old social media comment allegedly made by the son of a former governor, describing how she felt upon seeing the post.

“I felt bad about it (the comment). I can’t even explain,” she said.

Advertisement

Omokri, who visited the family, called for support and urged the Kaduna State Government to assist.

“Nigeria owes a duty of care to this family for what has happened to them,” he said, appealing to Governor Uba Sani to consider measures such as relocation, educational support for the children, or employment assistance for Kadijah.

The case resurfaced recently after former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, denied involvement in the disappearance.

“Dadiyata was not a fierce critic of the Kaduna State government. He was a fierce critic of the Kano State government,” El-Rufai said, insisting that he only became aware of the lecturer after the abduction was reported.

Advertisement

“If anybody is to be asked about the disappearance of Dadiyata, it is the Kano State Government; it has nothing to do with the Kaduna State Government. We didn’t even know he existed,” he added.

Reacting, former Kano State governor, Abdullahi Ganduje, dismissed the claims as “reckless” and “a clear attempt to shift responsibility.”

“Everyone in Kaduna knew the nature of the criticism he made and who it was directed at,” Ganduje said in a statement.

Sources also disclosed that the DSS recently seized El-Rufai’s passport at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, to prevent him from travelling abroad while investigations are ongoing.

Advertisement

“El’Rufai is fully aware that the DSS is investigating him and his two sons for Dadiyata’s kidnapping,” the source alleged.

The Service is reportedly set to invite El-Rufai’s sons for questioning as part of the reopened investigation.

Punch

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

‘Ensure Mirabel Gets Same Penalty A Rapist Would Get’ – Tacha Tells Police

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Big Brother Naija Star, Natacha Akide, better known as Tacha, has demanded the prosecution of a female TikTok user, identified as Mirabel, after admitting that her earlier claim of rape was false.

Mirabel had earlier alleged that she was attacked and raped by a stranger who forcibly gained access to her apartment in the Ogijo area of Ogun State.

The allegation, which she shared on the social media platform TikTok, sparked widespread outrage, with many users calling for swift action against sexual violence.

However, Mirabel, in the audio recording of a conversation, shared online by social media critic, VeryDarkMan, popularly known as VDM, admitted that her previous claim was false, stressing that she has been dealing with serious personal and mental health struggles.

Advertisement

She said, “Yes, sir, please help me, I am very sorry, I have been taking drugs, and I was not thinking clearly when I posted the videos.”

Following the development, the Ogun State Police Command has concluded plans to arrest and prosecute Mirabel.

A police source, who spoke with PUNCH, said that a Divisional Police Officer and other senior officers were at the hospital where Mirabel was receiving treatment, noting that she would be taken into custody upon discharge and charged in court.

The source said, “The DPO and some senior police officers are currently at the hospital where she is admitted. Once she is discharged, she will be taken into custody, and a charge will be prepared against her for trial. The essence is to serve as a deterrent to others.”

Advertisement

In a post via X, Tacha said police and the agencies in charge of handling rape and assault cases should make sure they penalise Mirabel and make sure she receives the same punishment a rapist would get.

She wrote, “Now that its been established that Mirabel lied about the rape allegation, I expect the police and the agencies in charge of handling rape and assault cases to make sure they penalize Mirabel and that she receives the same punishment a r*pist would get… CAUSE we live in a very wicked and terrible society where r*pists and r*pe apologists are looking for excuses to continue to r*pe and abuse women..
We should NEVER allow stupid women to empower these evil and wicked men! She must be penalized.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News