News
Senate Denies Introducing Fresh Ban on Preaching in Commercial Vehicles
- /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/09/Senate.jpg&description=Senate Denies Introducing Fresh Ban on Preaching in Commercial Vehicles', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/09/Senate.jpg&description=Senate Denies Introducing Fresh Ban on Preaching in Commercial Vehicles', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
The Senate has debunked claims that the proposed amendment to the Federal Road Safety Commission Establishment Act seeks to introduce a fresh ban on preaching or hawking in commercial vehicles.
According to the upper chamber, preaching and hawking in commercial vehicles have been offences under Nigerian law since the FRSC Establishment Act was enacted in 2007.
The Senate explained that the provision, previously listed as Item 36 in the Second Schedule of the Act, was only renumbered as Item 49 in the ongoing amendment process.
In a statement issued on Monday by the Office of the Senate Leader, the chamber stressed that the amendment does not seek to prohibit street preaching or restrict religious activities in public places.
It said the amendment is about the safety of commuters and other road users and is not intended to undermine any religious activity in the public space.
The Senate also dismissed reports alleging that Senate Leader Senator Opeyemi Bamidele sponsored the amendment bill.
It clarified that the bill originated from the House of Representatives and is before the Senate as a concurrence bill in line with the provisions of the 1999 Constitution.
The upper chamber noted that the legislative process is still ongoing and urged Nigerians with concerns to make their views known through the appropriate legislative channels before the bill is passed.
The Senate reiterated its commitment to transparency and public participation, adding that the proposed amendment is aimed at strengthening road safety measures and protecting commuters across the country.
News
Sad: Young Iranian medical student reportedly sentenced to death for treating injured protesters
A young Iranian medical student, Sepehr Amirzadeh, has reportedly been sentenced to death in Iran after allegedly treating wounded protesters during the January uprising, sparking urgent calls for his release and for doctors around the world to intervene.
The January 2026 uprising in Iran was a massive wave of anti-government protests sparked by severe economic collapse, currency devaluation, and deep political frustration.
Triggered in late December 2025, the demonstrations escalated into widespread unrest before facing a brutal, lethal crackdown by state security forces beginning January 8, 2026.
The development was shared by Iranian journalist, Masih Alinejad, who described Amirzadeh as a medical student who “reportedly faces execution in Iran” and urged medical professionals to help save his life.
According to the appeal, Amirzadeh’s alleged offence was treating wounded protesters during the unrest. Alinejad said the young medical student “tried to save lives” at a time when people were suffering injuries.
His ‘crime’? He treated wounded protesters during January uprising. He tried to save lives,” the appeal stated.
Alinejad said Amirzadeh did not discriminate against those he treated based on their political views, but instead acted according to the fundamental principles of medicine.
They were seeking compensation for damage sustained during the five-month military conflict between Iran and the United States.
He said the issue had not been raised during earlier negotiations but argued that Tehran’s position provided an opportunity for Washington to make its own demands.
“I see that Representatives of the Islamic Republic of Iran are asking for compensation for the damage done to them during the last five-month military conflict (started because they will not have a nuclear weapon), even though it was never mentioned in any If our negotiations or meetings!” Trump wrote.
“But it is an interesting idea because now I am likewise demanding compensation from Iran, for all of the people that they have killed and gravely wounded with their roadside bombs and many conflicts, for which they are famous, as led initially by General Soleimani.”
News
Flooding: Demolition Begins in Maitama as Wike Moves Against Waterway Obstructions
Flooding: Demolition Begins in Maitama as Wike Moves Against Waterway Obstructions
Demolition operations have commenced in Maitama, Abuja, following the directive by the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, to remove buildings obstructing waterways across the FCT.
Wike had vowed that structures found on water channels would be demolished between Tuesday and Saturday as part of efforts to address flooding and restore the city’s drainage systems.
Watch: https://x.com/Naijablitznews/status/2089714509237653641?s=46
News
2027 Presidential election will be easiest for Tinubu, Wike declares
The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, stated on Tuesday in Abuja that the upcoming 2027 presidential election will be the easiest contest for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, describing the opposition in Nigeria as “crippled and depleted.”
Responding to questions on the just concluded Osun State Governorship election during a press briefing, Wike argued that the current administration deserves credit for allowing democratic processes to run naturally without undue interference.
“When they lose, they claim the government manipulated the process; when they win, they show off their might. It does not work that way.
“From what I have seen, this government allows processes to run their own way, and they must be given credit for that,” Wike said.
Dismissing the insinuation that federal might was deployed in support of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in the Osun State election, the FCT Minister said those saying that had not experienced federal might in an election.
He said; “They don’t know what federal might is. I think they should come and ask people like us who faced federal might in 2019. In Rivers State, in 2019, we saw what is called federal might. We saw soldiers taking over everywhere. Did anything like that happen in Osun State?
Reflecting on past elections, the Minister contrasted the current political climate with the 2023 general election, which he described as stressful and uncertain for the incumbent president.”
On the 2027 presidentialelection, Wike said; “2023 was a tough election for him. “Nobody knew what the government at the time was trying to do, and even governors were afraid.
“But 2027 will be different. To remove a government, you need a strong, vibrant opposition that has spent over four years planning not one that is constantly looking for a party to join.”
Wike criticized opposition candidates and parties, specifically targeting the African Democratic Congress (ADC) and past PDP presidential contenders, pointing out their internal divisions and poor performances in recent governorship polls.
He cited the influence of the G5 Governors in the 2023 election, noting that without such support, opposition figures stand little chance in national contests.
“Governorship elections rely on local variables, but a national election is a completely different ballgame.
“If it is this 2027 election against Bola Ahmed Tinubu, forget it. It’s over”, he stated.
Addressing public discontent over the economy, the minister urged Nigerians to evaluate leadership based on actionable steps taken to address challenges rather than emotional sentiments.
“Leadership is defined by the steps you take to solve problems,”
“When someone identifies a problem and takes concrete action to fix it, that is the effort people should appreciate,” Wike concluded.
-
News24 hours agoOsun Poll: Davido’s Father Alleges APC Spent N60bn on Vote Buying
-
News22 hours agoNigeria Eyes Manufacturing Boom as FG Moves to Maximise China’s Zero-Tariff Policy
-
News23 hours agoNigerian lands in Accra Court for attempting to rob three Ghanaian banks
-
News22 hours agoAregbesola hails Adeleke’s victory says “Osun people have given their verdict”
-
News22 hours agoEFCC V Osun: Gov Adeleke orders AG to withdraw case
-
News22 hours ago83 More Nigerians to Return from South Africa as FG Renews Fight Against Afrophobia
-
News20 hours agoAbuja Set for Global PR Summit as Nigeria Unveils Jollof Festival, Cultural Showcase
-
Foreign9 hours agoSad: Venezuela death earthquake toll hits 6,438
