Connect with us

News

Undersea Cable Cut: Relief as internet service restored to some customers

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

MainOne, a digital infrastructure service provider, on Saturday, said that it had restored service to some customers and was actively working on restoring all services through capacity acquired on available cable systems.

The organisation made this known via a statement on its website in response to news reports that it would take two weeks to five weeks for it to restore internet services.

The statement said that the estimated repair time that it had earlier declared was for its submarine cable fault to be fixed.

“The repair time is to enable our services to become fully restored and independently supply capacity to customers.

Advertisement

“We have already restored services to some customers and are actively working on restoring services to others via capacity acquired on available cable systems,’’ the statement said.

Earlier, MainOne said that it recognised the impact of the outage and was working tirelessly to make available restoration of capacity for temporary relief where feasible.

‘’We are very optimistic that our cable will be repaired as planned and services fully restored so that we can continue to operate with continued integrity of the submarine cable,” it said.

The Nigerian Communication Commission (NCC) had said that the internet disruptions being experienced by organisations, banks, individuals were as a result of damage affecting major undersea cables near Abidjan in Côte d’Ivoire.

Advertisement

The NCC said that the damage was causing downtime across West and South African countries.

It said that the cuts occurred somewhere in Cote d’Ivoire and Senegal, with an attendant disruption in Portugal.

It said that cable companies – West African Cable System (WACS) and African Coast to Europe (ACE) in the West Coast route from Europe – had experienced faults, while SAT3 and MainOne had downtime.

The regulatory body added that similar undersea cables providing traffic from Europe to the East Coast of Africa, like Seacom, Europe India Gateway (EIG), Asia-Africa-Europe 1 (AAE1), were said to have been cut at some point around the Red Sea.

Advertisement

This, it said, resulted in degradation of services across these routes.

In an earlier statement, MainOne had declared a force majeure on its contractual obligations while explaining steps to restore connectivity.

The force majeure is an unforeseeable circumstance that prevents someone from fulfilling a contract.

The unforeseen circumstances maybe natural disasters (fire, storms, floods), or governmental or societal actions (war, invasion, civil unrest, labour strikes), or infrastructure failures (transportation, energy).

Advertisement

MainOne, an Equinix company, is one of the leading data centre and connectivity solution providers with presence in Nigeria, Ghana and Cote d’Ivoire.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Troops Repel Terrorists’ Attack on Military Post in North-east, Eliminate 12 ISWAP/Boko Haram Fighters

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Troops of the Joint Task Force (North East), Operation Hadin Kai (OPHK), have eliminated 12 ISWAP and Boko Haram fighters during a failed attack on a military position in the Kirawa axis of Sector 1 OPHK Area of Responsibility in the early hours of May 22, 2026.

The operation was carried out under Operation Desert Sanity and Siege Operations after suspected terrorists attempted to infiltrate positions occupied by troops of the 153 Task Force Battalion and other allied forces along the Nigeria-Cameroon border axis.

According to the Media Information Officer of Joint Task Force (North East) Operation Hadin Kai, Lieutenant Colonel Sani Uba, the attack was promptly detected and effectively repelled by troops and members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF), who responded with superior firepower and maintained control of their positions throughout the encounter.

The terrorists were subsequently forced to abandon the mission and retreat towards the Cameroon axis after suffering heavy casualties during the gun battle.

Advertisement

“Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance assets, as well as platforms of the Air Component of OPHK and partner forces, provided coordinated support during the operation.

“Following the engagement, troops confirmed the neutralisation of 12 terrorists, while several others reportedly escaped with gunshot wounds, as evidenced by blood trails along their withdrawal routes.

“Recovered items included AK-47 rifles, rocket-propelled grenade systems, ammunition, and a PKT machine gun, further weakening the operational capability of the insurgents in the area,” the statement said.

Troops of OPHK, working alongside the Civilian Joint Task Force, have continued exploitation operations to track fleeing terrorists and recover additional weapons and equipment, while maintaining heightened vigilance across the area.

Advertisement

The Joint Task Force reaffirmed its commitment to sustaining pressure on terrorist groups until they are completely neutralised across the theatre of operations.

The military high command also commended the troops for their gallantry, professionalism, and swift response, which it described as the third successful operation recorded within the week, urging them to sustain the operational momentum in the interest of national security.

Continue Reading

News

Africa needs $2.8 trillion by 2030 to meet climate goals — Report

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Africa will require an estimated $2.8 trillion between 2020 and 2030 to effectively tackle climate change and meet its commitments under the Paris Agreement.

A new report policy analysis by Harrison Rehoboth Consulting, states that the continent needs about $277 billion annually to fund climate adaptation and mitigation projects.

The investment is aimed at reducing the impact of floods, droughts, desertification, and other environmental challenges threatening livelihoods across the region.

Femi Sekoni, spokesperson for Harrison Rehoboth Consulting, said the funding is critical to strengthen infrastructure, protect vulnerable communities, improve food security, expand renewable energy, and support a transition to cleaner, more sustainable economies.

Advertisement

Despite the growing climate crisis, the report notes that Africa remains heavily dependent on foreign sources for climate financing. Domestic investors contribute only a small portion of available funds.

Local institutions including banks, pension funds, insurance firms, and private investors account for roughly 10% of climate finance flowing into the continent. International organisations and development partners provide the larger share.

Uneven distribution and structural barriers

Climate financing across Africa remains unevenly distributed. Countries with stronger financial systems and investment structures—South Africa, Egypt, Nigeria, Morocco, and Kenya—attract a significant percentage of available funding.

Advertisement

Many other African countries facing severe climate threats struggle to attract large-scale investment.

The report cites weak institutions, limited project preparation capacity, policy uncertainties, and concerns over investment risk as key barriers.

The analysis also raises concerns about the structure of climate financing available to African countries.

A large portion comes in the form of loans rather than grants or concessional financing, which could worsen debt burdens for nations already facing rising debt-servicing obligations and economic pressure.

Advertisement

Climate adaptation projects such as flood control systems, drought resilience programmes, and coastal protection infrastructure often provide social and environmental benefits but generate little direct revenue.

This makes loan repayment difficult for governments.

The report notes that rising debt levels have fueled global discussions around climate justice and the need for wealthier nations to provide more grant-based support to vulnerable countries facing the harsh effects of climate change.

The report acknowledges efforts by institutions such as the African Development Bank and some African countries, including Rwanda, Kenya, Senegal, Egypt, and South Africa, to expand climate investment initiatives and develop financing frameworks capable of attracting private investors.

Advertisement

However, Harrison Rehoboth Consulting stresses that Africa’s climate finance gap cannot be closed through international promises alone.

It calls for stronger domestic financial systems, improved governance, better project planning, and reforms in global financial institutions to make climate funding more accessible.

Key recommendations include: increasing concessional financing and grants for adaptation projects; improving collaboration between governments and private investors; strengthening policies that encourage long-term investment in climate and infrastructure projects; and building domestic financial capacity to reduce over-reliance on external funding.

The report concludes that closing Africa’s climate finance gap will require coordinated action at national, regional, and global levels to ensure funding reaches the countries and communities most exposed to climate risk.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Obi meets S’African leaders over xenophobic attacks on Nigerians

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Presidential aspirant in the Nigerian Democratic Congress (NDC), Peter Obi, has intensified efforts to protect Nigerians in South Africa following new reports of xenophobic attacks and rising depression among victims.

Obi made his involvement public in a Facebook post on Saturday, detailing a series of high-level meetings with South African government officials and political party leaders.

“After speaking with Nigerians in Cape Town yesterday, I was able to have meaningful discussions this morning with three South African ministers and political party leaders regarding the ongoing challenges related to immigration, regional collaboration, and fostering peaceful coexistence,” Obi wrote.

He revealed that he met with Mr. Leon Schreiber, South Africa’s Minister of Home Affairs and a prominent figure in the Democratic Alliance; Mr. Velenkosini Hlabisa, Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs and leader of the Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP); and Mr. Gayton McKenzie, Minister of Sports, Arts and Culture and leader of the Patriotic Alliance (PA).

Advertisement

Obi described the conversations as “productive and candid,” with a focus on migration, economic strains, youth unemployment, security issues, and rising tensions faced by African foreigners in South Africa.

He emphasised that Nigeria and South Africa—as two of the continent’s most prominent nations—must enhance dialogue and seek solutions based on justice, mutual respect, and the rule of law.

“In challenging times, leaders and citizens alike need to demonstrate responsible leadership, compassion, and restraint,” he said.

The discussions also stressed the importance of law-abiding behavior, avoiding violence, resisting hate or provocation, and allowing lawful institutions to address grievances through democratic processes.

Advertisement

“The progress of Africa hinges on our ability to create unity, foster economic inclusivity, invest in our communities, and uphold the dignity of every African, no matter where they live,” Obi added.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News