News
How murdered Army officers, soldiers left 10 wives, 21 orphans – COAS Lagbaja
- /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/007A25A4-E23C-4977-B96B-B9693D5BE50C.jpeg&description=How murdered Army officers, soldiers left 10 wives, 21 orphans – COAS Lagbaja', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/007A25A4-E23C-4977-B96B-B9693D5BE50C.jpeg&description=How murdered Army officers, soldiers left 10 wives, 21 orphans – COAS Lagbaja', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
The Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt.-Gen. Taoreed Lagbaja, says the officers and soldiers of the Nigerian Army who were gruesomely murdered in Okuama Community in Delta on March 14, left behind 10 widows three of whom are pregnant and 21 orphans.
Lagbaja made this known at the burial of the 17 personnel comprising one Lieutenant Colonel, two Majors, one Captain and 13 soldiers, on Wednesday at the National Cemetery in Abuja.
According to him, the Okuama killing has added to the care of the Nigerian army and, by extension, the Nigeria state, 10 widows, three of whom are four, five, and eight months pregnant, 21 orphans, and many other dependents, including parents.
“While commiserating with the families of these gallant soldiers, I assure them that the Nigerian army and the good people of this country will not leave them in the cold.
“We shall do all within our power to provide succour to them and preserve the memories of their departed loved ones,” he said.
Lagbaja said he considered his toughest job to be putting fine men and women in harm’s way, sometimes knowing that they might not return to their families and loved ones.
He added that his men, correspondingly and intriguingly know that in spite of the equipment, training, and other forms of preparations, sometimes some may not make it back alive, while some may return handicapped.
According to him, “when soldiers die in the hands of the enemies of the State, we take it as dying for what the nation has considered a just cause; we celebrate them as gallant heroes.
“But when they are gruesomely murdered by the very people they are trained, equipped, and took an oath to protect, it is highly demoralizing.
“It is no longer news that 17 of the Nigerian Army’s finest men, whom we have come to bury, were murdered in a reprehensible manner on March 14 in the Okuama community of Delta State while they went on a legitimate peace-making mission.
“It grieves my heart that it took our search and recovery effort over 72 hours to recover some vital organs of the decapitated and disembowelled bodies of my men that were scattered all over the Okuama community by the community youths and their friends.
“I consider it the most barbaric act any citizen or community can commit against the authority of the state, and I must place on record that a lot of restraints have been exercised so far in our search and recovery efforts for missing arms, ammunition, other equipment, and body parts.
“I assure Mr President and all Nigerians that the Nigerian Army remains committed to its constitutional responsibilities and will not be deterred by setbacks such as witnessed in the Okuama community.
“As tasked by Mr President and Commander-In-Chief of our Armed Forces, the Nigerian Army, with the assistance of its sister services and other security agencies, is committed to bringing the perpetrators of the Okuama murder to book and recover all service and personal belongings taken from the murdered troops.
“The Nigerian Army will continue to seek the cooperation of all well-meaning Nigerians, particularly in the affected area, towards swift and successful conduct of our search and recovery operations,” he said.
The Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), Gen. Christopher Musa, said the fallen heroes exemplified the very best of service to nation and love for country.
Musa said they were the vanguards of peace, the guardians of freedom, and the sentinels of security, adding that their selflessness and unwavering dedication to duty would forever be etched in their hearts and memories.
He assured the families of the deceased officers of the support of the nation and the armed forces in every way possible, urging them to find solace in the knowledge that their loved ones made an indelible mark on the nation’s history.
The defence chief said the military would honour their memory by continuing the fight against those who sought to undermine the peace and security of the nation.
“We will remain steadfast in our resolve to build a nation worthy of your sacrifice.
“The loss we feel today is immeasurable, but we must not allow it to dim the light of hope within us.
“Instead, let us use this moment as a rallying cry to come together as a nation, to support our armed forces, and to work tirelessly towards a Nigeria free from the grip of violence and insecurity.
“We owe it to these fallen heroes to honour their memory by redoubling our efforts to create a safer and more prosperous nation for all.
“Let us build a nation where every citizen can live without fear, where communities can thrive, and where our children can grow up knowing the true meaning of security and stability.
“To the men and women who continue to serve in the armed forces, I want to express my deepest gratitude for your dedication to duty.
“Your commitment to defending our nation, even in the face of great peril, is truly commendable,” he said.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that President Bola Tinubu, Speaker, House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbas, Deputy Senate President, Jibrin Barau, Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume, and governors of Delta, Bayelsa, Kano, Kogi and Imo states, were in attendance.
The president announced the award of posthumous national honours on the slain soldiers as well as houses and scholarship for their children.
News
Troops Repel Terrorists’ Attack on Military Post in North-east, Eliminate 12 ISWAP/Boko Haram Fighters
Troops of the Joint Task Force (North East), Operation Hadin Kai (OPHK), have eliminated 12 ISWAP and Boko Haram fighters during a failed attack on a military position in the Kirawa axis of Sector 1 OPHK Area of Responsibility in the early hours of May 22, 2026.
The operation was carried out under Operation Desert Sanity and Siege Operations after suspected terrorists attempted to infiltrate positions occupied by troops of the 153 Task Force Battalion and other allied forces along the Nigeria-Cameroon border axis.
According to the Media Information Officer of Joint Task Force (North East) Operation Hadin Kai, Lieutenant Colonel Sani Uba, the attack was promptly detected and effectively repelled by troops and members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF), who responded with superior firepower and maintained control of their positions throughout the encounter.
The terrorists were subsequently forced to abandon the mission and retreat towards the Cameroon axis after suffering heavy casualties during the gun battle.
“Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance assets, as well as platforms of the Air Component of OPHK and partner forces, provided coordinated support during the operation.
“Following the engagement, troops confirmed the neutralisation of 12 terrorists, while several others reportedly escaped with gunshot wounds, as evidenced by blood trails along their withdrawal routes.
“Recovered items included AK-47 rifles, rocket-propelled grenade systems, ammunition, and a PKT machine gun, further weakening the operational capability of the insurgents in the area,” the statement said.
Troops of OPHK, working alongside the Civilian Joint Task Force, have continued exploitation operations to track fleeing terrorists and recover additional weapons and equipment, while maintaining heightened vigilance across the area.
The Joint Task Force reaffirmed its commitment to sustaining pressure on terrorist groups until they are completely neutralised across the theatre of operations.
The military high command also commended the troops for their gallantry, professionalism, and swift response, which it described as the third successful operation recorded within the week, urging them to sustain the operational momentum in the interest of national security.
News
Africa needs $2.8 trillion by 2030 to meet climate goals — Report
Africa will require an estimated $2.8 trillion between 2020 and 2030 to effectively tackle climate change and meet its commitments under the Paris Agreement.
A new report policy analysis by Harrison Rehoboth Consulting, states that the continent needs about $277 billion annually to fund climate adaptation and mitigation projects.
The investment is aimed at reducing the impact of floods, droughts, desertification, and other environmental challenges threatening livelihoods across the region.
Femi Sekoni, spokesperson for Harrison Rehoboth Consulting, said the funding is critical to strengthen infrastructure, protect vulnerable communities, improve food security, expand renewable energy, and support a transition to cleaner, more sustainable economies.
Despite the growing climate crisis, the report notes that Africa remains heavily dependent on foreign sources for climate financing. Domestic investors contribute only a small portion of available funds.
Local institutions including banks, pension funds, insurance firms, and private investors account for roughly 10% of climate finance flowing into the continent. International organisations and development partners provide the larger share.
Uneven distribution and structural barriers
Climate financing across Africa remains unevenly distributed. Countries with stronger financial systems and investment structures—South Africa, Egypt, Nigeria, Morocco, and Kenya—attract a significant percentage of available funding.
Many other African countries facing severe climate threats struggle to attract large-scale investment.
The report cites weak institutions, limited project preparation capacity, policy uncertainties, and concerns over investment risk as key barriers.
The analysis also raises concerns about the structure of climate financing available to African countries.
A large portion comes in the form of loans rather than grants or concessional financing, which could worsen debt burdens for nations already facing rising debt-servicing obligations and economic pressure.
Climate adaptation projects such as flood control systems, drought resilience programmes, and coastal protection infrastructure often provide social and environmental benefits but generate little direct revenue.
This makes loan repayment difficult for governments.
The report notes that rising debt levels have fueled global discussions around climate justice and the need for wealthier nations to provide more grant-based support to vulnerable countries facing the harsh effects of climate change.
The report acknowledges efforts by institutions such as the African Development Bank and some African countries, including Rwanda, Kenya, Senegal, Egypt, and South Africa, to expand climate investment initiatives and develop financing frameworks capable of attracting private investors.
However, Harrison Rehoboth Consulting stresses that Africa’s climate finance gap cannot be closed through international promises alone.
It calls for stronger domestic financial systems, improved governance, better project planning, and reforms in global financial institutions to make climate funding more accessible.
Key recommendations include: increasing concessional financing and grants for adaptation projects; improving collaboration between governments and private investors; strengthening policies that encourage long-term investment in climate and infrastructure projects; and building domestic financial capacity to reduce over-reliance on external funding.
The report concludes that closing Africa’s climate finance gap will require coordinated action at national, regional, and global levels to ensure funding reaches the countries and communities most exposed to climate risk.
News
Obi meets S’African leaders over xenophobic attacks on Nigerians
Presidential aspirant in the Nigerian Democratic Congress (NDC), Peter Obi, has intensified efforts to protect Nigerians in South Africa following new reports of xenophobic attacks and rising depression among victims.
Obi made his involvement public in a Facebook post on Saturday, detailing a series of high-level meetings with South African government officials and political party leaders.
“After speaking with Nigerians in Cape Town yesterday, I was able to have meaningful discussions this morning with three South African ministers and political party leaders regarding the ongoing challenges related to immigration, regional collaboration, and fostering peaceful coexistence,” Obi wrote.
He revealed that he met with Mr. Leon Schreiber, South Africa’s Minister of Home Affairs and a prominent figure in the Democratic Alliance; Mr. Velenkosini Hlabisa, Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs and leader of the Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP); and Mr. Gayton McKenzie, Minister of Sports, Arts and Culture and leader of the Patriotic Alliance (PA).
Obi described the conversations as “productive and candid,” with a focus on migration, economic strains, youth unemployment, security issues, and rising tensions faced by African foreigners in South Africa.
He emphasised that Nigeria and South Africa—as two of the continent’s most prominent nations—must enhance dialogue and seek solutions based on justice, mutual respect, and the rule of law.
“In challenging times, leaders and citizens alike need to demonstrate responsible leadership, compassion, and restraint,” he said.
The discussions also stressed the importance of law-abiding behavior, avoiding violence, resisting hate or provocation, and allowing lawful institutions to address grievances through democratic processes.
“The progress of Africa hinges on our ability to create unity, foster economic inclusivity, invest in our communities, and uphold the dignity of every African, no matter where they live,” Obi added.
-
News16 hours ago2027: I’m not avoiding Atiku – Peter Obi
-
News16 hours agoPopular Rap Star Dies After Battling Cancer
-
News16 hours agoEx-Gov Abubakar, Halliru Jika emerge APC, ADC guber candidates in Bauchi
-
News15 hours ago2027: Saraki Unveils Kawu as Kwara PDP’s guber Consensus Candidate
-
Sports14 hours agoEPL: Fernandes Announced Premier League Player of the Season
-
News16 hours ago“You can’t meet El-Rufai” – ICPC bars ADC
-
News15 hours agoTCN gives update on blackout in Aso Rock, Nnamdi Azikiwe Int’l Airport, other parts of Abuja
-
News15 hours agoStrait of Hormuz Closure Stifles Nigeria’s Fragrance Business, Says Sirtified Perfumes CEO Adetayo Olowookere
