News
Protest in Jos over killing of four truck drivers, burning of vehicles in S/East
- /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2025/03/Screenshot_20250303-123615.jpg&description=Protest in Jos over killing of four truck drivers, burning of vehicles in S/East', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2025/03/Screenshot_20250303-123615.jpg&description=Protest in Jos over killing of four truck drivers, burning of vehicles in S/East', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
By Kayode Sanni-Arewa
Owners of trucks and drivers conveying goods from the North to the South East have protested against incessant killing of their members by suspected members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB)
They staged the protest on Sunday in Jos, Plateau State capital, decrying that many of their members had been killed and their vehicles burnt in the attacks.
The drivers, under the umbrella of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (heavy trucks), marched with placards with different inscriptions such as ‘Stop killing northern drivers’, ‘Tinubu should protect our members’, and ‘Enough of burning and destruction of our trucks in the South East.’
They listed the most dangerous routes as including Enugu-Lopanta-Lopanta-Okigwue and Okigwue to Umuahia in Abia State.
Addressing journalists, Mahmud Jafar, who led the protest, said unprovoked attacks, intimidation and harassment against truck drivers from the North had become the order of the day in recent years.
He said they would boycott the transportation of goods to the South East for their safety and security if the situation persists.
“It is with a heavy heart that we address you today on the continued killing of our members, destruction and burning of our trucks by gunmen suspected to be members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOP) in the South East of Nigeria
“For the past eight years, truck drivers from northern Nigeria have been consistently targeted, killed, and had their trucks destroyed or burnt while transporting goods to the south east. We are still trying to understand what offence we have committed to deserve this kind of barbaric killing.
“The frequency and severity of these attacks have reached alarming levels, with over 50 drivers lost, many still missing, and hundreds of trucks either burned, damaged, or forcefully taken away from drivers.
“Goods, including cattle, perishable items, and grains, are deliberately burned, destroyed, and stolen by the perpetrators on daily basis,” Jafar said.
Narrating some of the incidents that claimed the lives of truck drivers, he said between January and December 2024, more than 20 drivers were brutally killed and their trucks burnt or damaged in the communities of Ehobey, Okigwe, Isoche, and Ehobey local government areas of Imo State.
Jafar said some corpses were recovered while others remained missing.
He said on January 28, 2025, four truck drivers–Haruna Jibril, Bala Muhammad, Dalladi Jafaru, and Auwal Muhammad- carrying tomatoes to Port Harcourt were killed and their goods unloaded between Lobanta community in Imo State and Umahia in Abia State.
He said the perpetrators filmed the empty trucks and sent the videos to the vehicle owners to confirm that they had killed the victims and when the owners called the perpetrators to demand the release of the victims’ bodies, they were told to forget about them.
He said the incident was reported on January 28 to the Police Area Command in Okigwe, the DSS office in Okigwe, the army military camp in Okigwe and the Police Headquarters in Imo, “but were are yet know the whereabouts of the corpses or the trucks.
“Just yesterday, suspected IPOB members in the Four Corner community of Nkanu West LGA of Enugu State opened fire on a truck carrying perishable items heading to Port Harcourt. Luckily, the driver and his assistants survived the attack. These sad incidents continue unabated without any serious move to stop them,” Jafar added.
NURTW, truck owners seek probe, FG’s intervention
Hassan Shitu, NURTW chairman, Laranto Branch, said drivers and truck owners had been pushed to the wall, hence the need to call the attention of the government to arrest the situation.
He appealed to the government for intervention.
“Our challenge is that we live in the northern part of the country, but we find it difficult to operate in the eastern part. They beat our drivers, damage our vehicles without any provocation. Just recently, they seized our truck, and the drivers are nowhere to be found.
“We are pleading with the government to look into what is happening to us in the East. Our lives are always in danger. This has been happening for a long time. We have reported various incidents, but up till now, we are yet to see any action,” he said.
Attacks threat to national security – Truck owners
Truck owners, who spoke during the protest, described the killing of their drivers and the destruction of vehicles in the South East as a threat to national security.
They demanded that the federal government conduct a thorough investigation to identify the attackers and prosecute them.
Pankes Moses, a truck owner, said: “We are transporters and transport goods from the north to the east but, we are facing many challenges. “We don’t know if the state governments are aware of what is happening. We pay all the revenue, but yet we’re not safe.
“They create illegal checkpoints where drivers would be forced to pay huge amounts for nothing. Youths would usually block roads and tax our drivers apart from the government-approved checkpoints.”
Lawan Shuaibu, another transporter, stated: “The intimidation is too much. It is as if we were not Nigerians. Just last week Monday, on a broad daylight, one of my drivers traveling to Port Harcourt, was attacked around Four Conner area in Enugu State.
The gunmen opened fire on the truck and injured the driver. They damage the truck.
“The always attack our drivers. The situation is deteriorating. We call on federal government to protect our lives as citizens of the country.”
‘My slain brother left behind 12 children’
Yusuf Adamu, a brother to one of the drivers killed in Imo State on January 28, 2025, said the deceased left behind a wife and 12 children.
“We have tried everything we could to retrieve his corpse, but we couldn’t. We reported the incident to almost all the security agencies in Imo State, but there hasn’t been any trace of him or his colleague.
“The number of people who have lost their lives on that road is countless. We call on the federal government to take necessary action. People from the East have property in the North, and likewise, people from the North have property in the East. If this situation continues, what will be the benefit?
“Why northerners are specifically targeted? Regardless of their tribe, anyone from the North is a target. We are begging the government to do something. We still believe in one Nigeria.”
Police mum
The spokesman of the Imo State Police Command, Henry Okoye, whose area of jurisdiction witnessed attacks on drivers and transporters, when contacted, promised to call back, but he did not.
He also did not reply to a WhatsApp message sent to him.
News
101-year-old great grandma nabbed as NDLEA intercepts cocaine in fufu (Photos)
. N4.4bn worth of Loud seized at Apapa, Lekki ports; recovers consignments of meth, skunk, opioids in sweeps across Seme, Akwa Ibom, Ondo, Oyo, Kwara, Kano, Abia and FCT
Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have recorded significant breakthroughs across the country’s land and maritime borders, including the arrest of a 101-year-old great grandmother for dealing in illicit drug, the interception of cocaine concealed in edible cassava flour popularly known as fufu, and the seizure of large consignments of Loud, a synthetic cannabis valued at over N4.4 billion at the Apapa and Lekki ports in Lagos.
In a rare and startling development, NDLEA operatives on Saturday, 15th August 2026, arrested a 101-year-old woman, Esther Ogunmabo, in Ilisan, Ogun state, with retail sachets of skunk, a strain of cannabis weighing 90 grams, which she claims she sells to locals.
The centenarian told operatives that she resorted to the illicit drug trade after her provisions shop was razed by fire, adding that one of her daughters, who resides in Lagos, arranges the supply of the substance to her every four days, which she in turn sold in bits.
The Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of NDLEA, Brig Gen Mohamed Buba Marwa (Rtd) has however directed that the suspect be granted bail and placed on counselling because of her advanced age, while her daughter has been arrested.
In a related development, NDLEA operatives in Akwa Ibom state acting on credible intelligence, on Friday, 21st August intercepted a wooden boat on the high seas conveying illicit drugs to fishing settlements in the Republic of Cameroon. Three suspects who were arrested on board the boat, which was heading to Ine Isu, Ine Mbah and Ine Ikot Itie Udung fishing ports in Cameroon, include: Etima Effiong Eekpo, 29, caught with 1.120kg skunk; Otobong Eyoh Etukudoh, 33, who had 42.060kg of skunk in his possession; and 27-year-old Kingsley Effiong John, who was found with 20grams of cocaine cleverly concealed inside a large wrap of edible cassava fufu, alongside 435grams of skunk. A total of 42.622kg of narcotics was recovered from the trio.
In the nation’s maritime space, the Agency recorded its first-ever seizure of illicit drugs shipped from Thailand through the maritime corridor, following the interception of two containers of cannabis indica, also known as Loud, at the Apapa and Lekki ports, with a combined street value put at over N4.4 billion.
Both containers were loaded at the Port of Laem Chabang, Thailand, underscoring the emergence of a new trafficking route being exploited by drug syndicates to smuggle synthetic cannabis into the country.
At the Apapa Port, a container, declared to be conveying dry fish, rice, vehicle spare parts, turmeric soap and inverter batteries, was found, during a joint examination of the shipment on Friday 21st August by NDLEA, Customs and others, to contain 1,090.5kg of Thai Loud packed in 54 cartons comprising 2,181 sachets of 500 grams each.
At the Lekki Deep Sea Port, a similar container, which had been placed on the Agency’s watchlist and monitored by its Marine Special Operations Unit, was jointly examined on Wednesday, 19th August. Of the seven pallets found in the container wrapped in black nylon, four were confirmed to be laced with Thai Loud, yielding 96 cartons made up of 400 parcels weighing a total of 400kg. The remaining three pallets contained 798 rims of A4 paper, which had been used as cover for the consignment.

In the Federal Capital Territory Abuja, NDLEA operatives on Saturday 22nd August intercepted three waybill packages containing 24,410 pills of tramadol capsules inside a hummer bus travelling from Enugu to Zuba. A follow-up operation conducted in Niger State led to the arrest of the owner of the consignment, Sunday Eze, 28, in Kontagora, after which he was transferred to Abuja.
Operatives in Ondo State on Wednesday 19th August raided a cannabis farm at Ijare forest, Ifedore Local Government Area, following the earlier arrest of three suspected cannabis planters at the same location on 16th August. The team destroyed a total of 10,000kg of skunk cultivated across four hectares of the forest. In a separate operation in the state, operatives same day at Ita-Ogbolu, Akure North LGA, recovered 210kg skunk and a Toyota Camry car with registration number AGL 223 JH belonging to Sylvester Dibiagu Anthony, who is currently at large.

In Kwara state, NDLEA operatives on patrol along the Ogbomosho-Ilorin expressway, Ilorin on Friday 21st August intercepted a Toyota Starlet car without a registration number. A search of the vehicle led to the recovery of 1.325kg of methamphetamine, wrapped in black nylon bags, alongside quantities of cannabis sativa. One suspect, Muhammadu Usman, 22, was arrested in connection with the seizure.
A 65-year-old woman, Adebayo Kaosarat, was arrested at Akobo-Ojuirin area of Ibadan, Oyo state on Friday 21st August with a cocktail of substances comprising 1.795kg of Scottish Loud, 1.66kg of tramadol, 600g of codeine syrup, 125g of diazepam and 50g of flunitrazepam, totalling 4.68kg.
A raid at Hadeija road, Kano, on Monday 17th August led to the arrest of Chibuzor Madueke, 31, with 98 blocks of skunk weighing 73.3kg recovered from him, while a similar operation by NDLEA operatives at Seme, Badagry area of Lagos led to the arrest of three family members: Nasiru Tijjani, 52; Moshood Tijjani, 27; and Salami Tijjani, 27, at Ashipa area, near the Seme border, with 48kg of skunk.
In Abia state, NDLEA officers on Thursday 20th August raided the residence of Ikechukwu Anthony Iwuno, 36, at Umuobia Olokoro area of Umuahia South LGA, where 14.4kg Loud, 2.3kg Colorado, 386grams of tramadol and 134grams of rohypnol were recovered.
With the same vigour, Commands and formations of the Agency across the country continued their War Against Drug Abuse (WADA) sensitization activities to schools, worship centres, work places and communities among others in the past week. These include: WADA enlightenment lecture to students and staff of Umar Bn Khattab College for Islamic Studies, Ungogo LGA, Kano; Markaz Al-Furqan Centre of Islamic and Arabic Teaching, Kishi, Oyo state; School of Nursing and Midwifery, Birnin Kebbi, Kebbi state; Mu’assasah Tahfizui Qur’an Islamiya School, Ibi, Taraba; and members of the Scout Association of Nigeria at the first National Youth Camp held in Benin City, Edo state, while the Idiroko Special Area Command of NDLEA paid a WADA advocacy visit to the Chairman of Ipokia LGA, Ogun state Hon. Johnson Avoseh, among others.
While commending the officers and men of Ogun, Apapa, Lekki, Seme, Akwa Ibom, Ondo, Oyo, Kwara, Kano, Abia and FCT Commands for the various successful operations, Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of NDLEA, Brig. Gen. Marwa (rtd) enjoined them and their colleagues across the country to continue with the current balanced approach to the drug control efforts of the Agency.
News
WATCH moment Akwa Ibom North West constituents resolve to back Tinubu in 2027
Watch video depicting moment Akwa Ibom North West Senatorial District townhall/stakeholders meeting convened by the President of the Senate, Senator Godswill Akpabio in Ikot Ekpene, the people renewed their resolve to stand on the mandate of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
Watch below:
News
Popular gospel singer, Asu Ekiye finally opens up on his failed 28-year-old marriage
Popular Nigerian gospel singer Asu Ekiye has finally opened up on how his estranged wife, Kunemofa Asu, initiated the divorce proceedings that led to the dissolution of their 28-year marriage.
Ekiye, popularly known as the “Prince of the Niger Delta”, made the clarification in a statement shared on social media.
The clarification followed reactions to his earlier announcement on Thursday that his marriage to Kunemofa, which began in 1998, had ended.
The announcement sparked widespread reactions from fans of the award-winning singer, especially netizens, with many expressing shock at why a marriage of that length could have been salvaged.
However, following public curiosity, the singer, in a new post, clarified that his wife initiated the split and filed for divorce without a prior quarrel, and that reconciliation efforts failed.
Ekiye said his wife had expressed her desire to end the marriage, moved out of their home, and subsequently instituted divorce proceedings.
“The decision regarding the dissolution of my marriage was not one I initiated.
“Having done all I could to seek reconciliation, I eventually came to the difficult decision to accept the reality of the situation,” he said.
The singer said he spent about a year making efforts to reconcile with his wife and preserve the marriage, but she remained firm in her decision.
Ekiye said he decided to clarify the circumstances surrounding the divorce after receiving numerous calls and messages following his announcement about the end of the marriage.
He said he bore no bitterness or ill will towards his former wife and had chosen to approach the new phase of his life with dignity and respect for all concerned.
“I bear no bitterness or ill will toward anyone,” he said.
-
News23 hours agoSnake gets world-first cancer treatment normally used in humans
-
News24 hours agoSEE List of Nigeria’s latest fake agency, 20 state coordinators, reps in China as TInubu orders arrest (Photos)
-
News22 hours agoWATCH: This is Apo – Karshi road awarded in 2011 at verge of completion
-
Metro7 hours agoFear engulfs ISWAP leadership as military neutralize senior commander
-
News22 hours agoFCT Minister, Wike, inspecting ongoing construction of Apo – Karchi road today(Video)
-
News7 hours agoUmahi’s 28-year-old son clinches Ebonyi LG chairmanship
-
Metro7 hours agoSad! Four family members die after consuming ‘amala’ in Kogi
-
Sports7 hours agoPremier League: Brentford Humble Tottenham, Everton, Leeds, Ipswich Start With Wins

Warning: Undefined variable $user_ID in /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/themes/zox-news/comments.php on line 49
You must be logged in to post a comment Login