News
Governor discloses how troops were tricked into ambush in Kebbi as death toll rises to 13
- /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/03/IMG_4843.jpeg&description=Governor discloses how troops were tricked into ambush in Kebbi as death toll rises to 13', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/03/IMG_4843.jpeg&description=Governor discloses how troops were tricked into ambush in Kebbi as death toll rises to 13', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
Kebbi State Gov Nasir Idris has disclosed how troops were tricked into ambush in Kebbi as death till rises to 13
The death toll from a deadly ambush by armed gunmen in the Shanga LGA of Kebbi state has risen to 13.
Previously, authorities said nine soldiers and a policeman lost their lives in the attack.
But the state governor, Nasir Idris, said more bodies had been recovered.
“I heard the news of the ambush that the bandits did for our military. This military has received a distress call that bandits are planning to attack one of our communities. And the military has prepared themselves to go and save our people,” he said during a visit to the scene of the incident alongside the Emir of Yauri, Alhaji Zayyanu Abdullahi.
“But unfortunately, the information given to the military that they are gathering in one place but the information is not correct.
“The military on their way to that village, these notorious bandits laid ambush on them and they killed about 11 of them. That is why I say it’s a very sad situation.”
Earlier, the governor visited the mortuary and the accident and emergency unit of the Federal Teaching Hospital, Birnin Kebbi, where victims of the attack were taken to.
While speaking to journalists after visiting the mortuary and the Accident and Emergency unit of the Federal Teaching Hospital, Birnin Kebbi, on Wednesday, where victims of the attack were taken, Idris described the attack as barbaric.
He assured that the state government would cover the medical bills of the injured and provide support to the families of the deceased security personnel.
“This is a sad incident. These are the soldiers who protect the lives of Kebbi residents, yet they found themselves in this situation. The Kebbi State Government will not relent in its efforts to protect the lives of its citizens,” he said.
The governor also prayed for the souls of the deceased and reiterated his administration’s commitment to strengthening security across the state.
He later proceeded to the scene of the attack for an on-the-spot assessment.
There have been persistent attacks by bandits and terrorist groups across northern Nigeria, with several incidents involving fatalities among troops.
On June 25, 2025, the Nigerian Army confirmed that 17 soldiers were killed during a fierce gun battle with suspected bandits in Mariga Local Government Area of Niger State.
The troops had responded to an attack on the Bangi community when they were engaged by heavily armed fighters, resulting in significant casualties.
In the North-East, attacks by insurgent groups have also persisted, as on multiple occasions in 2025, fighters linked to Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa Province carried out ambushes on military formations in Borno State, leading to the deaths of soldiers.
One such incident occurred in late 2025, when troops were killed during a coordinated raid on a military base. (Text, excluding headline: Channels TV)
News
WATCH moment Akwa Ibom North West constituents resolve to back Tinubu in 2027
Watch video depicting moment Akwa Ibom North West Senatorial District townhall/stakeholders meeting convened by the President of the Senate, Senator Godswill Akpabio in Ikot Ekpene, the people renewed their resolve to stand on the mandate of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
Watch below:
News
Popular gospel singer, Asu Ekiye finally opens up on his failed 28-year-old marriage
Popular Nigerian gospel singer Asu Ekiye has finally opened up on how his estranged wife, Kunemofa Asu, initiated the divorce proceedings that led to the dissolution of their 28-year marriage.
Ekiye, popularly known as the “Prince of the Niger Delta”, made the clarification in a statement shared on social media.
The clarification followed reactions to his earlier announcement on Thursday that his marriage to Kunemofa, which began in 1998, had ended.
The announcement sparked widespread reactions from fans of the award-winning singer, especially netizens, with many expressing shock at why a marriage of that length could have been salvaged.
However, following public curiosity, the singer, in a new post, clarified that his wife initiated the split and filed for divorce without a prior quarrel, and that reconciliation efforts failed.
Ekiye said his wife had expressed her desire to end the marriage, moved out of their home, and subsequently instituted divorce proceedings.
“The decision regarding the dissolution of my marriage was not one I initiated.
“Having done all I could to seek reconciliation, I eventually came to the difficult decision to accept the reality of the situation,” he said.
The singer said he spent about a year making efforts to reconcile with his wife and preserve the marriage, but she remained firm in her decision.
Ekiye said he decided to clarify the circumstances surrounding the divorce after receiving numerous calls and messages following his announcement about the end of the marriage.
He said he bore no bitterness or ill will towards his former wife and had chosen to approach the new phase of his life with dignity and respect for all concerned.
“I bear no bitterness or ill will toward anyone,” he said.
News
Navy hands nine suspected stowaways to Immigration Service
The Nigerian Navy (NN) has handed over nine suspected stowaways to the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) after rescuing them from a merchant vessel in Lagos.
The Nigerian Navy Ship (NNS) Beecroft effected the handover on Friday following the discovery of the suspects concealed in the propeller compartment of MT *Evgenia* two days earlier.
According to a statement by the Commander of NNS Beecroft, Commodore Aiwuyor Adams-Aliu, the suspects were found on Wednesday, August 19, and evacuated to the naval base for preliminary investigation and profiling.
He said investigations revealed that the suspects boarded the vessel while it was berthed at the Flour Mills Jetty in Apapa, allegedly intending to travel illegally to Europe.
The suspects were identified as Thompson Vincent, 23; Emmanuel Philip, 24; Tobi Olalekan, 32; Omotayo Adebowale, 43; Abdullahi Idowu, 21; Tunde Mustapha, 19; Jamiu Ismaila, 25; Ibrahim Alabi, 30; and Christian Kadiri, 22.
Adams-Aliu said the handover was part of ongoing collaboration among security agencies to curb illegal migration and strengthen maritime security.
He urged parents, guardians and other authority figures to discourage young people from attempting to board seagoing vessels illegally, noting that the dangers associated with the practice extended beyond Nigeria to other West African coastal states.
He added that NNS Beecroft would continue to support the Chief of the Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abbas, in deploying a professional naval force to safeguard Nigeria’s maritime interests and support national security operations.
-
News21 hours agoBREAKING: APC Chairman Reportedly Collapses, Dies
-
News20 hours agoSnake gets world-first cancer treatment normally used in humans
-
News20 hours agoSEE List of Nigeria’s latest fake agency, 20 state coordinators, reps in China as TInubu orders arrest (Photos)
-
News21 hours agoSurvivors narrate how gunmen moved from house to house, k!lling people asleep in Plateau
-
News21 hours agoTinubu unveils council, names Abiodun Director of Fundraising for APC 2027 Campaign
-
News19 hours agoWATCH: This is Apo – Karshi road awarded in 2011 at verge of completion
-
News18 hours agoFCT Minister, Wike, inspecting ongoing construction of Apo – Karchi road today(Video)
-
Metro3 hours agoFear engulfs ISWAP leadership as military neutralize senior commander
