Connect with us

News

Oyo School Attack: Political Group Claims 39 Children, Seven Teachers Abducted, Releases List

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Fresh details have emerged about the mass abduction of pupils, students and teachers from schools in Oyo State, with a political group claiming that at least 46 persons, comprising 39 children and seven teachers, were kidnapped during the attack.

The victims were reportedly abducted when armed men stormed communities in Oriire Local Government Area of the state, attacking schools and surrounding villages before fleeing into nearby forests.

A political group, TYF Political Action Committee (TYF PAC), disclosed the latest details in a post on X, revealing that the abductors also allegedly snatched four motorcycles from villagers during the operation.

According to the group, three motorcycles were taken from Yawota community while another was stolen from Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele.

Advertisement

The group identified the affected schools as Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele and Yawota Baptist Nursery and Primary School.

Among the abducted teachers was the principal of Community High School, Mrs. Rachael Alamu Folawe, who had earlier appeared in a disturbing video from captivity pleading for government intervention.

Other abducted teachers were identified as Mr. Ojo Jonathan, the Vice Principal of Community High School; Mr. Olatunde Zacchaeus; Mr. John Olaleye; Mr. Michael Oyedokun; Mrs. Oladeji; and Mary Akanbi, a teacher at Yawota Baptist Nursery and Primary School.

TYF PAC also released the identities of dozens of abducted pupils and students from Ahoro-Esinele, Yawota, Oniya and Alawusa communities.

Advertisement

Those abducted from Ahoro-Esinele Community were identified as Rashida Tajudeen, 11; Ahmed Ramoni, 8; Abdulsalam Toyib, 4; Baraka Abioye, 16; Fatimo Jimoh, 15; Hassan Azeez, 14; and Joshua Adeleke, 13.

The victims from Yawota Community were listed as Samuel Oyedele, 7; Emmanuel Oyedele, 4; Idowu Taiwo, 4; Christianah Akanbi, 2; Juwon Sunday, 7; Sikiru Salami, 3; Soliu Salami, 4; Ojo Joseph, 8; Lydia Adewole, 8; Testimony Jacob, 5; Kehinde Kaosara, 7; Sewa Seyi, 7; Waliya Bello, 4; Lydia Olohunloluwa, 7; Damilare Oderinde, 8; Deborah Adebowale, 5; Aisha Oguntowo, 10; Lege Taiwo, 12; Balkis Ayanwale, 8; and Asa David, 10.

Children abducted from Oniya Community were listed as Shuaibu Aliyu, 10; Ahmed Aliyu, 7; Muiz Aliyu, 5; and Jomiloju Ogunlola, 6.

Meanwhile, victims from Alawusa Community were identified as Agune Noah, 8; Elizabeth Abadi, 5; Tosin Abadi, 9; Pius Stephen, 5; Hannah Ojo, 14; Habidat Ayanwale, 7; Mary Gabriel, 6; and Jacob Gabriel.

Advertisement

The latest disclosure comes amid growing outrage over the attack and circulation of videos showing abducted victims appealing for help from captivity.

In one of the videos earlier obtained by SaharaReporters, Mrs. Alamu, visibly distressed, said the attackers invaded the school on Friday morning and took both staff and students into the forest.

“I am Mrs. Alamu. I am the principal of Community High School in Oyo State. On Friday, around 9:30, we were attacked by a certain group of people, and a good number of us were abducted,” she said.

“The staff and the students as well, and we have been here since Friday.”

Advertisement

She appealed to the Federal Government, Oyo State Government, Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) and Nigerians to intervene before lives were lost.

Meanwhile, the Oyo State Police Command said it had commenced forensic analysis of the viral video circulating online in connection with the abduction.

Speaking with SaharaReporters during a WhatsApp conversation, the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Ayanlade Olayinka, said authorities were yet to confirm the exact number of abducted children.

“I do not have confirmation on the numbers of children abducted and as for the teacher, 6 are reportedly missing,” he told SaharaReporters.

Advertisement

In a separate statement made available to SaharaReporters, the police spokesperson said the video was undergoing “comprehensive forensic examination” to determine its authenticity and support ongoing rescue operations.

“The footage is presently undergoing comprehensive forensic examination to determine its authenticity and further aid ongoing investigations, rescue operations, as well as the identification and arrest of the perpetrators behind the heinous act,” the statement read.

The police assured residents that intensive intelligence-driven operations involving multiple security agencies were ongoing to secure the release of the victims.

“To this end, intensive operational, intelligence-driven, and tactical efforts in collaboration with other security agencies are ongoing to secure the victims unharmed and bring all those responsible to justice,” the statement added.

Advertisement

The command also urged residents to avoid spreading unverified information capable of creating panic.

“Members of the public are equally advised to refrain from sharing unverified information, misleading contents, or materials capable of heightening tension and creating unnecessary panic,” the police warned.

The latest incident has further heightened concerns over worsening insecurity and repeated attacks on schools in parts of Nigeria despite government assurances on the safety of educational institutions.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Over 90 Students Discharged After Ogun Methane Leak Incident

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Ogun State Government has confirmed that all patients admitted to the State Hospital, Ijebu-Ode, following a recent chemical inhalation incident affecting schools in the town, have been discharged after receiving treatment and being certified medically fit.

The Commissioner for Health, Dr. Tomi Coker, disclosed this during a meeting with parents, guardians, and community members at Our Lady of Apostles Secondary School.

She also noted that the state had activated a medical response protocol to ensure that any patient requiring advanced care at secondary health facilities would be promptly referred to the Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital.

According to her, “There were persons admitted at the Ijebu-Ode State Hospital and others at Ijebu-Ife who were affected by the methane emission.

Advertisement

“Altogether, we had adults and children admitted, and I am glad to say that all have been discharged. They are hale and hearty.

“Methane is a non-toxic gas; however, it competes with oxygen which our body and brain need to function properly, and that is why it is of concern to us.”

There was panic in Ijebu Ode on Friday after a suspected gas leakage triggered an air pollution incident that left more than 90 students hospitalised.

The incident occurred barely one month after a similar outbreak was reported in the town.

Advertisement

Students from several schools, including Our Lady of Apostles Girls School, Anglican Girls Grammar School, Ijebu-Ode Grammar School, and Sambadola Private School, were reportedly affected.

Several students were said to have fainted and were rushed to nearby hospitals, with many complaining of abdominal pain and other related symptoms.

A video shared on X by user OMOELERINJARE (@omoelerinjare) showed some victims being carried into an ambulance while distressed parents wept at the scene.

The Commissioner for Environment, Ola Oresanya, confirmed the incident in a statement on Friday, revealing that air quality monitoring devices installed in the area detected elevated methane concentrations.

Advertisement

According to him, the monitoring station at Ijebu-Ode Grammar School recorded peak methane readings of about 13,500 parts per million (ppm) in surrounding locations.

“The deployment of the Air Quality Monitoring station at Ijebu Ode Grammar School forms part of the state’s continuous environmental surveillance programme designed to provide early detection of abnormal air quality conditions and support timely public health interventions,” the statement said.

“While the recorded methane concentration is below the lower explosive limit, the level is considered environmentally significant and requires immediate technical investigation and precautionary response.”

Oresanya disclosed that the Ogun State Government had activated a multi-agency environmental and public health assessment team comprising environmental regulators, emergency responders, and air quality experts.

Advertisement

He said the team would determine the source of the emissions, assess the exposure risk, and evaluate the presence of other gases, including hydrogen sulphide and volatile organic compounds.

Residents were advised to remain calm, continue their normal activities, and avoid open flames or ignition sources in areas where unusual gas odours are perceived.

He also urged anyone experiencing symptoms such as dizziness, headaches, nausea, or respiratory discomfort to seek immediate medical attention.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Senate Condemns Borno, Oyo Student Abductions, Pushes For State Police

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Senate has condemned the abduction of 87 students and teachers in Borno and Oyo states within 24 hours, describing the incidents as a direct attack on Nigeria’s future.

The upper legislative house, in a statement on Sunday night by the Senate Leader, Opeyemi Bamidele, said the latest wave of kidnappings underscored the urgent need to establish state police as part of efforts to strengthen the country’s security architecture.

Bamidele, who also serves as vice chairman of the Senate Committee on the Review of the 1999 Constitution, called for coordinated and strategic measures to secure schools across the country and tackle the growing crisis of out-of-school children.

Suspected gunmen had on Friday abducted 45 students and teachers from Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota, Community Grammar School and L.A Primary School in Esiele, Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.

Advertisement

Similarly, Boko Haram insurgents attacked Mussa Primary and Junior Secondary School in Askira/Uba Local Government Area of Borno State, abducting 42 students.

Reacting to the incidents, Bamidele described the kidnappings as “a tragic national concern” and vowed that the National Assembly would accelerate efforts to establish state police.

According to him, the 10th National Assembly is already at an advanced stage of amending the 1999 Constitution to pave the way for the creation of state police.

“The process will soon be completed at the National Assembly,” he said.
The lawmaker explained that after the federal legislature concludes work on the proposal, it would be transmitted to the State Houses of Assembly for consideration and approval.

Advertisement

He noted that the constitutional amendment would require the support of at least two-thirds of the state assemblies before state police could become operational.

Bamidele appealed to governors and state lawmakers across the federation to treat the proposal as a matter of national importance rather than subjecting it to partisan or ethno-religious considerations.

He also urged both federal and state governments to fully implement the Safe School Initiative as an interim measure to curb insecurity in schools and reduce the number of out-of-school children, currently estimated at 18.3 million nationwide.

“The incessant abduction of students and teachers is a tragic national concern that negates our national development indices. We cannot and must not allow it to continue,” he said.

Advertisement

“At the National Assembly, we will rise against this trend and put an end to it through the instrumentality of legislation.

“As soon as the National Assembly resumes plenary on June 2, we will perfect all outstanding legislative initiatives introduced to decisively address security challenges in the federation.

“One of such initiatives is the ongoing review of the 1999 Constitution that seeks to establish state police, which is now at an advanced stage.

Another is the amendment of the Terrorism (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022 aimed at strengthening the system of consequences in the country’s justice sector and discouraging heinous crimes nationwide.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Longest-Serving Jigawa Lawmaker Miga Loses Return Bid

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

A major political shift has emerged in Jigawa State as four-term House of Representatives member, Sa’idu Yusuf Miga, lost his return ticket in the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Miga, who represents the Jahun/Miga Federal Constituency, was dropped during Saturday’s primaries, bringing an end to his long tenure in the National Assembly after nearly two decades in federal politics.

He first entered the House of Representatives in 2003 under the NNPP before joining the APC during the 2014 political realignment that led to the party’s rise to power in 2015. He went on to win re-election in 2015, 2019, and 2023.

However, despite his long service, growing dissatisfaction among constituents is believed to have contributed to his defeat in the party primaries.

Advertisement

Residents and youth groups had repeatedly accused him of poor representation, limited constituency projects, and weak legislative output since the start of the 10th National Assembly.

Earlier this month, youths under the group “Jahun Ina Muka Dosa” staged a peaceful protest, urging the APC leadership to replace him with a more active representative.

The protesters, led by youth leaders including Shamsu Sulaiman Alafin, Nura Wada, and Comrade Muhammad Khamisu Harbo, submitted their complaints to the APC leadership and Governor Umar Namadi.

Following the primaries, the APC presented Umar Imam as the party’s new candidate for the Jahun/Miga Federal Constituency.

Advertisement

Political observers say the outcome reflects increasing voter demand for accountability and performance-driven representation, with constituents now prioritising visible development impact over long-term incumbency.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News