News
Middle East: Iran warns against Hormuz passage without authorisation
- /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/06/IMG_8438.jpeg&description=Middle East: Iran warns against Hormuz passage without authorisation', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/06/IMG_8438.jpeg&description=Middle East: Iran warns against Hormuz passage without authorisation', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
Iran’s Revolutionary Guards on Thursday warned against any crossings of the Strait of Hormuz without authorisation, saying vessels not complying “will be dealt with”.
The future of the strait, a vital route for energy shipments that was blockaded by Iran during the war, is a key sticking point in negotiations between Tehran and Washington.
Tehran has said it plans to impose what it calls maritime service fees, as opposed to tolls, while the United States argues it is an international waterway and therefore should not be charged.
“The only authorised route for passage through the Strait of Hormuz is the route announced by the Islamic Republic of Iran,” said the Revolutionary Guards, the ideological arm of Iran’s military.
Any crossing without authorisation is “unacceptable and extremely dangerous”, they warned in a statement.
They also denounced what they said was a new route through the waterway announced by “certain authorities”.
The statement did not elaborate but it appeared to be a response to an announcement overnight of a temporary corridor by Oman, which also borders the strait.
Omani authorities released a map of a route running close to the Omani coast that they said was coordinated with the International Maritime Organisation, a UN agency responsible for marine safety.
The only route currently authorised by Iran runs through a corridor that follows the Iranian coast.
Hormuz is a narrow stretch of water between Iran and the Gulf countries through which roughly 20 percent of the world’s crude oil and liquified natural gas normally transits.
At its narrowest it is only about 30 kilometres (18 miles) wide.
A memorandum of understanding signed last week by Tehran and Washington to end their war stipulated that commercial ships may transit the strait free of charge for the next 60 days.
With Iran and the US in negotiations, it is unclear what arrangements will be in place after that period.
Iran and Oman announced on Tuesday that they would study the “costs” to be charged for services related to administration of the strait.
But US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, visiting neighbouring Gulf countries this week, said Washington would not accept any tolls or fees.
AFP
News
UK Updates Nigeria Travel Advisory, Cautions Citizens Against Travel to Parts of 11 States
The United Kingdom has updated its travel advisory for Nigeria, warning British citizens against all travel to parts of 11 states and advising against all but essential travel to several other states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
The advisory was updated on Thursday, August 20, 2026, by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), citing security concerns in different parts of the country. The guidance remained current as of Friday, August 21.
According to the advisory, the FCDO recommends against all travel to Borno, Yobe, Adamawa and Gombe states in the North-East, as well as Katsina and Zamfara states in the North-West.
The warning also covers riverine areas of Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Ibom and Cross River states in the South-South.
The FCDO specifically described the affected riverine areas as river and swamp locations that are accessible by boat but not by road.
For other locations, the British government advised against all but essential travel to Bauchi, Kaduna, Kano, Kebbi, Jigawa and Sokoto states.
The advisory also covers Niger, Kogi, Plateau, Taraba, Kwara and Benue states in the North-Central region, as well as the Federal Capital Territory, including Abuja.
In the South-East and parts of the South-South, the FCDO advised against all but essential travel to Abia, Anambra and Imo states, as well as non-riverine areas of Delta, Bayelsa and Rivers states.
The latest advisory does not mean the UK has advised its citizens against visiting all of the affected states. Rather, the restrictions apply to specified areas, with different levels of travel warnings depending on the location.
The FCDO also urged travellers who choose to visit Nigeria to research their destinations and obtain appropriate travel insurance.
It warned that travel insurance could be invalidated if travellers ignore the FCDO’s advice and travel to areas against which it has issued warnings.
The updated UK travel guidance also provides information on entry requirements, health and security risks, as well as warnings concerning IVF and fertility treatment scams, overseas adoption and assistance available to British citizens in Nigeria.
The advisory is available through the UK Government’s official Nigeria travel advice page.
News
Adeleke visits Wike after meeting President Tinubu
Governor of Osun State, Ademola Adeleke, has paid a courtesy visit to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, hours after meeting with President Bola TInubu.
It was gathered that this is in continuation of a series of consultations in Abuja following his recent electoral victory.
The meeting was revealed through a photograph shared on social media by Wike’s media aide, Lere Olayinka.
In the photo, Adeleke was captured shaking hands with the FCT minister as they both hold the governor’s certificate of return.
Olayinka captioned the picture, “Governor Ademola Adeleke visits the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike.”
This development happened barely hours after Adeleke met TInubu.
During the meeting, the governor presented his certificate of return and expressed gratitude for the conduct of the August 15 governorship election.
Speaking to the governor, Tinubu said the State Governor did not conquer anyone but won an election.
News
Adeleke gives reasons why he visited Tinubu
Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has given reasons why he visited President Bola Tinubu was primarily to appreciate him for respecting the democratic process during the recently concluded governorship election in the state.Government
Adeleke made the remarks after holding a closed-door meeting with President Tinubu at the State House in Abuja on Thursday, a few days after securing re-election.
The governor was declared the winner of the August 15 governorship election after polling 511,067 votes to defeat his closest challenger, the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, who scored 444,815 votes.
Adeleke won in 19 of Osun State’s 30 local government areas, while Oyebamiji secured victory in the remaining 11 councils.State & Local Government
Following the election and his receipt of the certificate of return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Adeleke paid a visit to Tinubu at the Presidential Villa.
Speaking briefly with State House correspondents after the meeting, Adeleke said he visited the President to express his appreciation for what he described as Tinubu’s commitment to democracy.
The Osun governor described Tinubu as the “father of the nation”, claiming that the President allowed the electoral process in the state to run without interference.
According to Adeleke, Tinubu’s decision to respect the democratic process contributed to what he described as a free and fair election.Government
“Yeah, that is why I’m here to thank Mr. President, the father of the nation, because he fought for this democracy,” Adeleke said.
“That is why he allowed free and fair election, and that is the result. That is why I’m here, to say thank you to ensure that democracy lives in Nigeria.”
Adeleke’s comments come amid political discussions surrounding the conduct of the Osun election, with different political actors offering varying assessments of the electoral process.
The governor is expected to begin his second term in office after his victory over the APC candidate.
-
News24 hours agoFEC approves ₦438bn nationwide road, trailer park projects (See List)
-
News21 hours agoCSOs Urge NASS To Probe Foreign Influence on Policies Targeting Nigerian Children
-
News16 hours agoAtiku slams Obasanjo says, ‘Arewa made you president, you have no electoral value’
-
News20 hours ago(Video)Subsidy: Atiku is confused, voodoo economist going back to what he called a fraud – Wike
-
News16 hours agoWalking with Wike while on projects inspection, 3km covered on foot (Video)
-
News19 hours agoPhotos: Subsidy: Atiku Is Confused, Voodoo Economist Going Back to What He Called a Fraud — Wike
-
News17 hours agoEx-MFM Pastor Femi Jimoh Reportedly Dies After Years of Detention, Legal Battle
-
News7 hours agoAnother 83 Nigerians Evacuated From South Africa Amid Xenophobic Attacks Arrive In Lagos
