Connect with us

News

Rep OK Chinda: A Record Of Sterling Public Advocacy In Rivers State

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Rep Ogundu Kingsley Chinda’s public record reflects years of engagement with issues affecting Rivers State, particularly environmental degradation, community welfare and the interests of people across the state.

His advocacy on the Ogoni environmental crisis predates much of the recent public attention surrounding the Ogoni cleanup. As a member of the National Assembly, Chinda raised concerns over the implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) recommendations and called for concrete measures to address the environmental damage suffered by Ogoni communities.

His involvement in environmental matters extends beyond legislative advocacy. His experience as a representative, environmentalist and former Commissioner for Environment has placed him at the intersection of environmental policy, governance and community concerns.

The broader question surrounding such a record is whether public office should be approached through ethnic or geographical calculations, or through a wider understanding of responsibility to the entire state.

Advertisement

Chinda’s stated approach has been to frame environmental degradation, pollution, development and community welfare as Rivers State issues rather than problems belonging exclusively to one ethnic constituency.

From Ogoni to the wider Niger Delta, environmental challenges remain deeply connected to questions of governance, accountability, economic development and social justice. Addressing them requires not only political attention but also institutional capacity, technical understanding and sustained policy implementation.

Chinda’s legislative and executive experience therefore provides a basis for assessing his views on environmental governance and the wider development challenges confronting Rivers State.

Ultimately, the public record should remain the principal basis upon which citizens assess any public servant: what issues has he championed, what policies has he supported, what results can be demonstrated, and how consistently has he represented the interests of the people?

Advertisement

Those questions – not ethnicity, geography or political sentiment – offer the clearest lens through which

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Walking with Wike while on projects inspection, 3km covered on foot (Video)

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

After Zaudna Road, in Dei-Dei area, officials proceeded to the ongoing construction of the road linking Jahi District to Gwarimpa and Karsana.

Na there the exercise start.
We ended up walking for almost 3km.

Watch:

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Atiku slams Obasanjo says, ‘Arewa made you president, you have no electoral value’

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

African Democratic Congress (ADC) presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, has said former President Olusegun Obasanjo lacks the electoral influence to determine the outcome of the 2027 presidential election.

Atiku stated this while speaking with journalists on Wednesday, amid reports that Obasanjo had declined to endorse his presidential ambition.

Responding to the former president’s position, Atiku said he was not concerned about whether Obasanjo endorsed him, recalling the role he said the northern electorate played in Obasanjo’s emergence as president in 1999.

“In 1999, he could not even win his own state or the Southwest; it was Arewa that made him President. He possesses no electoral value,” Atiku said.

Advertisement

Atiku and Obasanjo served as President and Vice President respectively between 1999 and 2007 but have had a strained political relationship since leaving office.

Atiku has previously said he opposed Obasanjo’s third-term bid because he believed it was necessary to defend Nigeria’s Constitution and democracy.

Speaking on the 2027 elections, the former vice president also highlighted his record of providing opportunities for young Nigerians during his tenure as Vice President.

He said some of those who benefited from such opportunities had gone on to become governors, ministers, directors and holders of other public offices.

Advertisement

Atiku promised that, if elected president in 2027, he would continue to create opportunities for young Nigerians to serve and take up leadership positions.

Continue Reading

News

Ex-MFM Pastor Femi Jimoh Reportedly Dies After Years of Detention, Legal Battle

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Former pastor of the Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries (MFM), Femi Jimoh, has reportedly died after years of health challenges following his prolonged detention in connection with an alleged plot to rob the church.
Jimoh’s reported death was announced by UK-based Nigerian blogger Maureen Badejo, who said the former pastor battled serious health complications after spending about nine years in detention and allegedly sustaining a gunshot injury to his leg.

His death has revived public interest in the controversial case, particularly the circumstances surrounding his arrest, his prolonged detention, his eventual acquittal by a Lagos State High Court and allegations he made against some MFM officials.

Jimoh gained wider public attention in 2024 after appearing in an interview with Yoruba Gidi TV, where he gave an emotional account of his experience in detention and alleged that he had spent approximately nine years in custody without trial.

According to him, his ordeal began after he encountered Michael Olawale Gbadamosi, who was then identified as the Chief Security Officer to MFM founder, Pastor Daniel Olukoya, at a native doctor’s residence in Ogbomoso.
Jimoh alleged that he was subsequently arrested, detained and subjected to physical abuse before being taken into police custody.
He further claimed that a Divisional Police Officer shot him in the leg during his detention.

Advertisement

However, MFM officials denied the allegations and maintained that the matter had been reported to law enforcement authorities because of the seriousness of the alleged crime.
“We must report such to the law enforcement agency saddled with the responsibilities to investigate and deal with such issues. And that was exactly what we did as a responsible church,” an MFM representative said.
Gbadamosi, whom Jimoh accused of meeting at the native doctor’s residence, also denied the allegation.
“I know that Ogbomoso is in Nigeria, but I, Michael Olawale Gbadamosi, have never been to Ogbomoso before,” he said.

Court Acquitted Jimoh, Two Others
The controversy surrounding the case was further heightened by a July 2016 judgment of the Lagos State High Court sitting in Igbosere, which acquitted and discharged Jimoh and two other defendants, Henry Aiyewero and Caleb Oloruntele.
The three men had been charged with conspiracy to rob MFM.

Justice O.A. Williams ruled that the prosecution failed to establish its case beyond reasonable doubt.
The court held that there was insufficient evidence to establish an agreement among the defendants to commit the alleged robbery.

“The prosecution not having proved its case, there is no burden on the defendants to prove their defence,” the judge ruled, adding that the defendants were therefore acquitted and discharged.

Advertisement

A key aspect of the prosecution’s case was a video recording purportedly showing the defendants meeting at a bar to plan the alleged robbery.

However, testimony before the court indicated that the gathering at Jethro Hotel had initially been presented to the hotel management as a movie shoot.

The hotel manager, Paul Effiong, told the court that about 11 people, including the defendants and prosecution witnesses, had gathered at the hotel’s bar after he was informed that a movie would be filmed there.

Effiong said he was surprised when he later saw some of the men on television being described as suspected robbers.
According to court evidence reported by SaharaReporters, Effiong said he later confronted one of the individuals involved and was told that there had been no movie shoot, but rather an “arranged work” or business deal.

Advertisement

The court ultimately found that the prosecution had failed to prove the allegations against Jimoh, Aiyewero and Oloruntele beyond reasonable doubt and consequently acquitted and discharged the three defendants.

Jimoh’s reported death has now brought renewed attention to the circumstances surrounding his long-running ordeal and the unanswered questions that have surrounded the case for years.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News