Connect with us

News

PDP: We’re in charge, will negotiate from position of strength, won’t shift national convention  – Wike

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory FCT, Nyesom Wike, has declared that whoever that is calling for reconciliation in the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) must do so with honesty and sincerity, adding that his camp remained firmly in control of the party’s machinery.

Buoyed by Monday’s Court of Appeal ruling that nullified the November 15 and 16, 2025 National Convention held in Ibadan,  Oyo State,  and the Federal High Court, Ibadan judgement,  which affirmed the current National Caretaker Working Committee leadership structure, Wike maintained that while his camp is open to reconciliation, it will only do so as a dominant force.

“PDP will never die. There comes a time that you have crises, but those grains are for you to put yourself in order. Life is in stages. For me, what is happening is a natural process that we must pass through as humans. We are for reconciliation, but genuine reconciliation”, he said.

He challenged his rivals to be transparent about their intentions and warned against clandestine maneuvers.

Advertisement

Addressing Senate Minority leader, Abba Moro, Wike said; “when you are talking about reconciliation, come with your terms of reconciliation so that we will know. Concrete proposal, not like the last time you came to me and before I knew it, you were in Ibadan for the convention. I don’t like those who go to negotiate at night and come out to shout in the day. Let those coming for peace come in the daytime and not at nighttime.”

He further dismissed accusations that his role in the All Progressives Congress (APC) led administration made him a “mole” within the PDP.

“It was as if I was the cause of the problem because I am working in an APC administration, but all the ones who accused me are today in APC, and me that they accused has not left the PDP,” the minister noted.

Wike stood firm on the party’s upcoming National Convention, rejecting any suggestions of forming a new caretaker committee to appease aggrieved members. He emphasized that the logistics for the transition are already finalized.

Advertisement

“The party is working hard for the convention to hold. They have paid the necessary fees. They have secured the venue. So, let nobody bring another suggestion that we should form another caretaker committee. I won’t accept that. Convention must hold and we will allow everybody to participate,” he asserted.

Addressing those threatening further legal action at the apex court, he remarked, “They said they are going to the Supreme Court, it is okay. The court is for everybody. Even in table tennis, one must lose. There is no tie in this game. We have the upper hand and we will tell you this is what we want.”

Earlier, Senator Moro, while acknowledging Wike’s indispensable role in the party, pleaded for a middle ground.

He revealed he had met with the faction led by the Tanimu Turaki earlier in the day to seek a resolution.

Advertisement

“I bring you solidarity from the National Assembly. I want to reiterate very emphatically here that the NASS caucus of our great party has always been in the forefront of having a united PDP.

“Crisis has rocked the PDP over some time and the NASS caucus under my leadership and Hon. Kingsley Chinda resolved that we must provide a platform so that we can act as one”, he said.

Moro urged members to prioritize the party’s survival over personal ambitions: “Whether I contest election in 2027 or not, the survival of PDP is paramount to me. I cannot abandon it. Everybody should accept some level of sacrifices.”

In his remarks, House Minority Leader, Kingsley Chinda, described the Monday Court of Appeal judgment as a lifeline for the party’s future.

Advertisement

“For us, we are happy that the judgment of Monday is not just for PDP but for democracy in the country.

“You have seen the exodus of our members in the past just because of the fear of the viability of the platform, but Monday’s judgment has laid all that to rest. We want to assure you that within a short time in the House of Representatives, you will see people defecting to the PDP”, he declared.

Chinda also echoed the need for fairness in the peace process, stating, “Yes, we crave for peace, but whoever seeks peace must also seek justice. That is the only thing that can give us sustained peace.”

Chairman of the Imo State chapter of the party, Hon. Austin Nwachukwu, who chairs the party’s Forum of State Chairman, noted that the grassroots leadership is aligned with the current trajectory.

Advertisement

He also urged the party to move towards technical modernization in terms of party membership, ahead of the next electoral cycle.

“My colleagues who are state chairmen said they are very pleased with the way things are going on now in the party. We also wish to ask the party to critically look at the Amended Electoral Act, particularly with membership registration. We urge that the party takes this very serious”, he stated.

The meeting was attended by prominent party figures, including former governors Dr. Samuel Ortom and Dr. Ifeanyi Ikpeazu; Caretaker Committee Chairman, Abdulrahman Mohammed; Secretary, Senator Sam Anyanwu; and Board of Trustees BoT Chairman, Senator Mao Ohuabunwa among others.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Abuja Flooding: FCT Minister’s Aide Takes a Swipe at Adeyanju

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

…say administration take steps to address recurring challenge

The heavy rainfall recorded in Abuja on Saturday resulted in flooding in parts of the Federal Capital Territory, with some affected areas experiencing temporary accumulation of water before the floodwaters receded.

Apparently peeved by Deji Adeyanju’s empty claims, FCT minister’s aide, Lere Olayinka gave a vivid breakdown in a statement on Monday.

The incident has, however, generated public debate, with some commentators linking the development to the administration of the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike.

Advertisement

While concerns over flooding and drainage infrastructure remain legitimate, it is important to note that flooding has occurred in parts of Abuja for several years, predating the current administration.

Reports from previous years documented flooding in areas including Wuse, Jabi and Lokogoma in 2019, while similar incidents were reported in Lokogoma, Efab Estate, Gudu and surrounding areas in 2022.

The recurring incidents highlight the challenges associated with the rapid expansion of the nation’s capital, particularly in the areas of drainage capacity, waste management, urban planning and enforcement of development regulations.

The FCT Administration has said it is taking steps to address some of these challenges and prevent future occurrences.

Advertisement

Among the measures being considered is the review of the 1979 Abuja Master Plan to reflect the changing needs of a rapidly expanding capital city.

The administration is also paying attention to drainage infrastructure, including the replacement of drainage covers that are frequently removed by scavengers. The removal of drainage covers can expose drainage channels to refuse and other materials capable of obstructing the free flow of stormwater.

The latest flooding therefore underscores the need for sustained investment in drainage infrastructure, effective waste disposal, strict enforcement of planning regulations and improved maintenance of existing waterways.

While political actors and commentators may differ in their assessment of the FCT Administration’s performance, the flooding challenge is not a new phenomenon and requires a long-term, coordinated response rather than being viewed solely through the lens of partisan politics.

Advertisement

The priority, ultimately, should be to ensure that Abuja’s infrastructure keeps pace with its population growth and expansion, while reducing the impact of heavy rainfall on residents and businesses.

Continue Reading

News

2027: Gov dumps deputy, picks ex-commissioner as running mate

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Governor Nasir Idris of Kebbi State has replaced his deputy, Senator Umar Abubakar Tafida Arugungu, with a former Commissioner for Finance, Ibrahim Muhammad Augie, as his running mate for the 2027 governorship election.

The decision was announced on Sunday by the All Progressives Congress National Organising Secretary, Suleiman Muhammad Argungu, at the Presidential Lodge in Birnin Kebbi.

Argungu made the announcement during a thank-you visit by political stakeholders from the Argungu Emirate to the governor.

He explained that the change followed legal advice regarding the eligibility of the incumbent deputy governor to contest alongside Idris in the 2027 election.

Advertisement

According to him, Tafida Arugungu was dropped as the governor’s running mate based on the advice received from legal experts.

Argungu subsequently named Augie as the new running mate to Idris, while stressing that the decision was taken with the knowledge and consent of the outgoing deputy governor.

He dismissed speculation of a rift between Idris and Tafida Arugungu, urging APC members and supporters across the state to accept the development and remain united ahead of the 2027 poll.

Speaking to journalists after the event, Idris also denied any disagreement with his deputy, assuring party supporters that he would work with Augie to advance the interests of the state.

Advertisement

Augie, who hails from Augie Local Government Area, served as Commissioner for Finance during the administration of former Governor Atiku Bagudu.

The governor also thanked the people of the Argungu Emirate for their continued support for his administration and called on party members to remain focused on the development of the state.

Continue Reading

News

el-Rufai files fresh N10b suit against ICPC for allegedly denying family access to him

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Former Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir el-Rufai, has filed, among nine reliefs, a fresh N10 billion fundamental rights suit against the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), alleging that the agency has prevented his wife and son from visiting him in custody.

In the meantime, El-Rufai’s son and representative of Kaduna North Federal Constituency, Mohammed El-Rufai, over the weekend celebrated his father and stepmother, Asia, on their 27th wedding anniversary.

The former minister’s originating motion marked FHC/ABJ/CS/1852/2026 and filed at the Federal High Court in Abuja on August 13, 2026, by El-Rufai’s lawyer, Ubong Akpan, also listed the ICPC chairman and the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) as second and third defendants.

He alleged that his wife, Aichatou Asabe, and son, Abba el-Rufai, were prevented from accessing him despite an existing court order permitting visits by his family members and legal representatives.

Advertisement

The former governor asked the court to declare that his fundamental rights under Part IV of the 1999 Constitution remain enforceable despite his detention by the ICPC.

He alleged that the repeated denial of access to his family members had prevented them from providing him with food, medication and other necessities.

According to him, the alleged restriction violated his rights to dignity, private and family life as guaranteed under Sections 34 and 37 of the Constitution, as well as Articles 5 and 18 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights.

Also alleging that ICPC officers physically restrained and intimidated his wife and son during an incident on July 7, he asked the court to declare the alleged conduct and continued denial of family access without lawful authority unconstitutional, illegal, null and void.

Advertisement

The former governor further sought an order directing the ICPC and other respondents to grant him unhindered and reasonable access to his family and lawyers throughout his detention, in line with an earlier order of the Federal High Court.

According to el-Rufai, the alleged actions had subjected him to “humiliation, emotional trauma, anxiety and psychological distress.”

He argued that the respondents’ conduct amounted to an unjustifiable interference with his dignity and family life and was inconsistent with constitutional protections and provisions of the African Charter.

Meanwhile, in a statement on Facebook, Mohammed described his stepmother as the “glue” of the family and praised her for her compassion, intellect and support for vulnerable people.

Advertisement

He recalled how Asia took him back to Zaria Academy when he was in Junior Secondary School 1, describing her as “an avid reader, a brilliant lawyer” and a woman whose compassion extended beyond her immediate family.

He said his stepmother devoted herself to supporting widows and orphans during his father’s tenure as governor, while also crediting her with shaping his values and approach to representing Kaduna North.

“Every good thing we continue to do for Kaduna North is due to the teachings and knowledge she has imparted in me since I was 11 years old. Every bad thing is my fault,” he said.

Reflecting on Asia and his father’s marriage, Mohammed said he had witnessed his stepmother’s unwavering support for his father through different periods of his life. He added that her strength and presence had remained a source of comfort, particularly as his father’s detention continues.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News