Connect with us

News

NNPP urges INEC to comply with court order recognising Major-led NWC

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) has called on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to swiftly comply with a court order recognising the party’s National Working Committee (NWC) led by Agbo Major.

A Federal Capital Territory High Court, presided over by Justice Bello Kawu, had earlier ruled that INEC should immediately recognise the Major-led leadership of the party.

In a statement issued on Saturday in Lagos, NNPP’s National Secretary, Ogini Olaposi, said there should be no further delay in updating the party’s leadership details on INEC’s official website.

“We hope that the current leadership in INEC will not be disobedient to valid court orders and clear judgments,” he said.

Advertisement

He also noted that the court restrained INEC from dealing with another faction of the party led by Dr Ahmed Ajuji, pending the outcome of a judicial review.

“The court restrained INEC from dealing and transacting any business with the Dr Ahmed Ajuji-led NWC members, pending the outcome of the just-concluded judicial review,” the statement added.

According to the party, the court issued a clear order on March 17, directing INEC to update its records within 72 hours to reflect the recognised leadership led by its founder, Dr Boniface Aniebonam.

The NNPP expressed disappointment that INEC reportedly continued to engage with the Ajuji group despite the court ruling.

Advertisement

It argued that filing an appeal or seeking a stay of execution does not halt the enforcement of a valid court order unless a court specifically grants it.

“The notice of appeal and motion for stay do not stop the execution of lawful court orders,” the party said, adding that no court has issued a stay of execution so far.

It stressed that the court’s directive was clear and must be followed, including recognising the Major-led leadership and restoring the party’s original logo.

The NNPP also urged its members to remain calm and continue party activities across the country, saying the development strengthens its prospects ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Advertisement

“With our victory in the court, the sky is now our limit,” the statement said.

The party added that members earlier expelled for anti-party actions would remain out, but those who left voluntarily could return.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

WATCH moment Akwa Ibom North West constituents resolve to back Tinubu in 2027

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Watch video depicting moment Akwa Ibom North West Senatorial District townhall/stakeholders meeting convened by the President of the Senate, Senator Godswill Akpabio in Ikot Ekpene, the people renewed their resolve to stand on the mandate of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

Watch below:

Continue Reading

News

Popular gospel singer, Asu Ekiye finally opens up on his failed 28-year-old marriage

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

 

Popular Nigerian gospel singer Asu Ekiye has finally opened up on how his estranged wife, Kunemofa Asu, initiated the divorce proceedings that led to the dissolution of their 28-year marriage.

Ekiye, popularly known as the “Prince of the Niger Delta”, made the clarification in a statement shared on social media.

The clarification followed reactions to his earlier announcement on Thursday that his marriage to Kunemofa, which began in 1998, had ended.

Advertisement

The announcement sparked widespread reactions from fans of the award-winning singer, especially netizens, with many expressing shock at why a marriage of that length could have been salvaged.

However, following public curiosity, the singer, in a new post, clarified that his wife initiated the split and filed for divorce without a prior quarrel, and that reconciliation efforts failed.

Ekiye said his wife had expressed her desire to end the marriage, moved out of their home, and subsequently instituted divorce proceedings.

“The decision regarding the dissolution of my marriage was not one I initiated.

Advertisement

“Having done all I could to seek reconciliation, I eventually came to the difficult decision to accept the reality of the situation,” he said.

The singer said he spent about a year making efforts to reconcile with his wife and preserve the marriage, but she remained firm in her decision.

Ekiye said he decided to clarify the circumstances surrounding the divorce after receiving numerous calls and messages following his announcement about the end of the marriage.

He said he bore no bitterness or ill will towards his former wife and had chosen to approach the new phase of his life with dignity and respect for all concerned.
“I bear no bitterness or ill will toward anyone,” he said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Navy hands nine suspected stowaways to Immigration Service

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Nigerian Navy (NN) has handed over nine suspected stowaways to the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) after rescuing them from a merchant vessel in Lagos.

The Nigerian Navy Ship (NNS) Beecroft effected the handover on Friday following the discovery of the suspects concealed in the propeller compartment of MT *Evgenia* two days earlier.

According to a statement by the Commander of NNS Beecroft, Commodore Aiwuyor Adams-Aliu, the suspects were found on Wednesday, August 19, and evacuated to the naval base for preliminary investigation and profiling.

He said investigations revealed that the suspects boarded the vessel while it was berthed at the Flour Mills Jetty in Apapa, allegedly intending to travel illegally to Europe.

Advertisement

The suspects were identified as Thompson Vincent, 23; Emmanuel Philip, 24; Tobi Olalekan, 32; Omotayo Adebowale, 43; Abdullahi Idowu, 21; Tunde Mustapha, 19; Jamiu Ismaila, 25; Ibrahim Alabi, 30; and Christian Kadiri, 22.

Adams-Aliu said the handover was part of ongoing collaboration among security agencies to curb illegal migration and strengthen maritime security.

He urged parents, guardians and other authority figures to discourage young people from attempting to board seagoing vessels illegally, noting that the dangers associated with the practice extended beyond Nigeria to other West African coastal states.

He added that NNS Beecroft would continue to support the Chief of the Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abbas, in deploying a professional naval force to safeguard Nigeria’s maritime interests and support national security operations.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News