Connect with us

News

UPDATED: We made a fatal error adopting presidential system -Prof Abdullahi

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
…says Nigeria expired ten years ago
By Gloria Ikibah
A former Vice Chancellor , Professor Ango Abdullahi has said Nigeria made a fatal error by adopting the Presidential system of government.
He made this assertion at the just National Dialogue on a Home Grown Parliamentary System of Government in Nigeria on Monday in Abuja.
The 86years old Professor also noted at the Dialogue that Nigeria expired in 2014, 100years after the Edict establishing Nigeria as an entity expired
“For me, that was our first mistake. For us to bring a system that did not fit our history, did not fit our traditions, did not fit our experience either as under colonial government or under our own independent state, we did not. Yet, we were not allowed to even discuss it.
“If I can remember here my classmate, a very eloquent sociologist, Dr. Ibrahim Tahir. Up to his death, he insisted that it was a mistake for us to bring in the American presidential system to Nigeria, because it did not work for us.
“And if the parliamentary system had not worked for us just after using it for five years, now we have experienced the presidential system for 24 years.
“The government is here to testify. 24 years. With due respect, I think our situation is worse than under the parliamentary system that we rejected just after trying it for four or five years.
He explained: “So, this dialogue here should really be as objective, as passionate as possible. Look at some of the things that we did wrongly. And one of the things we did wrongly was to bring in a system that did not fit our situation.
“And if we can, and we should, and we can, then we should work on something. It may not necessarily be the typical parliamentary system you find in our former colonial masters. It could be something else.
“Why? Why did you fail, if we failed at all? Why did the young boys who decided to uproot it, do so? And so on. These are the various questions that ought to be resolved very, very clearly, but unfortunately, for a number of reasons, this was not the case.
” The country almost broke up, and thanks to some elders and some soldiers, Nigeria remained after 1966, but without continuing a crisis that ended up in a civil war, which again, was eventually resolved.
“General Gowon, head of state for who led the country for nine years, did extremely well, together with elders in his cabinet, or rather, in his government, rather than cabinet, there are elders, Shifaholo, Malam Aminu Kano, and the rest of them, were working very closely with General Gowon, that made it possible for him to run this country for nine years, including the crisis we went through in the civil war.
“It is of interest to note that for those nine years, Nigeria did not borrow a couple from outside. You wonder why? But that’s not for me, but for the dialogue people to really reveal a lot of things that have gone wrong since then, never mind what happened.
“Then, after Gowon’s nine years, there was a decision to reverse to what people call democracy. Democracy has very elastic meaning. Every country in the world today claims democracy.
“America claims democracy. China claims democracy. Most countries claim democracy.
“So democracy must have multiple meanings, flexible meanings, and so on. So it’s right for us here to ask what kind of democracy do we want to have?
“And it’s also right to insist that we can have a homegrown democracy, and our children who are versed in a lot of things should be able to do so. But then, there was a transition between military and civil, and there was a disagreement in terms of how this would happen.
“To my mind, that was our first major mistake. I was a candidate. I was one of those who should have been in the constituent  assembly of 1975-76 to discuss the constitution that would transition us from military rule to civil rule.
“I remember our elders, then Malam Aminu Kano and others, who gathered around in Lagos to say that the military leaders have insisted that there would be no discussion on parliamentary democracy.
“The constituent assembly was not to discuss parliamentary democracy. The constituent assembly should go and borrow or find a presidential system outside the country.
“I think what they had in mind, and I think up to now, the two parliamentary systems that fall over the place, the American and the French, and eventually we opted for the American presidential system.
“Well, to my mind, America has just had an election a few days ago, and to my mind, it did not demonstrate democracy. It demonstrated election, but it did not demonstrate democracy.
“For me, that was our first mistake. For us to bring a system that did not fit our history, did not fit our traditions, did not fit our experience either as under colonial government or under our own independent state, we did not. Yet, we were not allowed to even discuss it.
“If I can remember here my classmate, a very eloquent sociologist, Dr. Ibrahim Taher. Up to his death, he insisted that it was a mistake for us to bring in the American presidential system to Nigeria, because it did not work for us.
“And if the parliamentary system had not worked for us just after using it for five years, now we have experienced the presidential system for 24 years.
“The government is here to testify. 24 years. With due respect, I think our situation is worse than under the parliamentary system that we rejected just after trying it for four or five years.
“And if we can, and we should, and we can, then we should work on something. It may not necessarily be the typical parliamentary system you find in our former colonial masters. It could be something else.
“But definitely, the presidential system has not worked for us. And it should be possible for us to be less sentimental, more objective in really bringing this out clearly. And there are questions I would like to ask, especially those who would be on the panel to tell us yes or no.
“I will ask these questions later to illustrate the point that the presidential system has failed Nigeria over the last 24 years. And there is need for us to change to something else. Thank you very much.
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Warning: Undefined variable $user_ID in /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/themes/zox-news/comments.php on line 49

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

BREAKING: Senator Narrowly Escapes Death As Gunshots Rock APC Primaries

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Gunshots disrupted the senatorial primaries of the All Progressives Congress in Ondo Central Senatorial District on Monday following the invasion of some voting centres by suspected political thugs.

The incident occurred in parts of Ondo State, particularly at Ward 5, Okelisa, Amudipe Street, Akure, where hoodlums reportedly attacked supporters of Senator Adeniyi Adegbomire.

Adegbomire, who is seeking the APC senatorial ticket, reportedly escaped unhurt after his vehicle came under gun attack during the chaos.

The suspected thugs were alleged to be loyal to one of the aspirants participating in the primary election.

Advertisement

Witnesses said the assailants fired several gunshots into the air and also shot at the senator’s vehicle before security operatives hurriedly evacuated him from the scene.

The development caused panic in the area as journalists covering the exercise, traders, and pupils of Ebenezer Primary School fled for safety.

The attackers were also said to have wielded machetes while assaulting voters and disrupting the counting process at the ward.

Speaking with journalists after the incident, Adegbomire alleged that the primary election was deliberately sabotaged.

Advertisement

The senator claimed the exercise appeared to be favouring him before the disruption occurred, alleging that thugs were deployed to prevent his supporters from participating in the process.

According to him, voting had commenced at his ward with supporters lining up behind their preferred aspirants before the violence erupted.

He explained that while the counting process was ongoing, the attackers stormed the venue, fired gunshots, attacked people with machetes, and disrupted the exercise.

Adegbomire further alleged that similar incidents were recorded in other parts of the senatorial district, claiming that some voters believed to be supporting him were prevented from accessing polling venues.

Advertisement

He also accused the perpetrators of using intimidation and violence to influence the outcome of the exercise.

Continue Reading

News

Just in: Ex-Reps member, Ogbeide-Ihama defeats serving Senator Imasuen, Pastor Ize- Iyamu Edo APC Senate primaries

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

A popular former member of the House of Representatives, Rt Hon Omorgie Ogbeide-Ihama has floored a serving Senator, Ned Imasuen and Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu in Edo South Senatorial District All Progressives Congress APC primaries.

Ogbeide-Ihama, an Engineer who vied into politics two decades ago has a reputation of beating his political rivals seamlessly since 2015.

This he has exhibited again in the Edo South Senatorial District primaries flooring two political heavyweights in one swipe.

He was a two-term member of the HoR 2015-2023

Advertisement

Local Government Areas results:

Oredo: Ogbeide-Ihama polled 3,950

Imasuen: 1,974

Ize-Iyamu: 986

Advertisement

Ohuonmde: Ogbeide-Ihama polled 2,626

Imasuen: 1,314

Ize-Iyamu: , 657

Ovia North East: Ogbeide-Ihama polled 3,514

Advertisement

Imasuen: 1,759

Ize-Iyamu: 878

Ovia South West: Ogbeide-Ihama polled 4,263

Imasuen: 2,759

Advertisement

Ize-Iyamu: 1,065

Ikpoba Okha: Ogbeide-Ihama 5,517

Imasuen: 2,759

Ize-Iyamu: 1,378

Advertisement

Orhionwon: Ogbeide-Ihama polled 3,058

Imasuen: 1,529

Ize-Iyamu: 765

Egor: Ogbeide-Ihama polled 4,226

Advertisement

Imasuen: 2,114

Ize-Iyamu: 1056

Oredo: Ogbeide-Ihama polled 3,950

Imasuen: 1,974

Advertisement

Ize-Iyamu: 986

Ohuonmde: Ogbeide-Ihama polled 2,626

Imasuen: 1,314

Ize-Iyamu: , 657

Advertisement

Ovia North East: Ogbeide-Ihama polled 3,514

Imasuen: 1,759

Ize-Iyamu: 878

Ovia South West: Ogbeide-Ihama polled 4,263

Advertisement

Imasuen: 2,759

Ize-Iyamu: 1,065

Ikpoba Okha: Ogbeide-Ihama 5,517

Imasuen: 2,759

Advertisement

Ize-Iyamu: 1,378

Orhionwon: Ogbeide-Ihama polled 3,058

Imasuen: 1,529

Ize-Iyamu: 765

Advertisement

Egor: Ogbeide-Ihama polled 4,226

Imasuen: 2,114

Ize-Iyamu: 1056
[5/18, 3:47 PM] Emman Ovuakporie: Grand total: Ogbeide-Ihama 27,154

Imasuen: 13,580

Advertisement

Ize-Iyamu: 6,785

Continue Reading

News

Building Collapse: Wike Orders Investigation, Seals Off Premises(Photos)

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

…Developer, engineer face arrest

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, on Monday ordered a full-scale investigation into the building collapse in Abuja that claimed four lives, directing that the premises be sealed off immediately.

Wike also disclosed that an engineer linked to the collapsed structure had been arrested, while the developer would equally face arrest and a panel set up to unravel the cause of the collapse.

The Minister, who visited the scene the collapsed building on Monday, described the incident as “very pathetic,” stressing that the government would not compromise on the safety of residents.

“From the report I got, we lost four people and some lives were saved. It’s very pathetic. Nobody is happy when you lose somebody,” Wike said.

“The Department of Development Control has sealed off the premises. We are going to set up a panel to really look at what happened. One of the engineers has been arrested already. From there, we’ll get to the developer, and the developer will also be arrested.”

Advertisement

He said the FCT Administration was taking over the matter, while the Department of Development Control would carry out preliminary investigations pending the outcome of the panel’s findings.

Wike warned developers against obstructing officials of the Federal Capital Development Administration (FCDA) from carrying out routine supervision of construction projects.

According to him, some developers often resort to blackmail whenever government agencies attempt to enforce compliance with building regulations.

“Sometimes when we come to a site like this, the press has not been kind to us. Instead of finding out why government is taking that decision, some people will go to blackmail government officials,” he stated.

The minister stressed that strict compliance with building standards, including soil tests and the use of quality materials, remained critical to preventing future disasters.

“In construction of buildings, we must know the quality. What materials are they using? Are they doing the soil test? What is the result of the soil test? Can it allow for two floors or three floors? All these are very key,” he said.

Advertisement

He maintained that government’s primary responsibility was the protection of lives and property, lamenting that the lives lost in the collapse could never be replaced.

“How can you buy back these lives? They are gone. That is the responsibility of government: to protect life and property,” Wike added.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News