Connect with us

News

DHQ moves to stop Lukarawa’s recruitment drive

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Defence Headquarters has said the new terrorist group, Lukarawa, has begun a recruitment process to bolster its fighting capabilities.

It, however, said the military was aware of the group’s recruitment activities and working closely with other security agencies and the state government to halt the recruitment efforts.

The DHQ had, last Thursday, confirmed the emergence of a new terrorist group known as ‘Lukarawa’ in the northern region, with operations in Sokoto and Kebbi states.

The Director of Media Operations, Maj Gen Edward Buba, said the terrorists began incursion into the northern parts of Sokoto and Kebbi states from the Niger Republic and Mali axis, particularly after the coup in the Niger Republic.

Advertisement

He blamed residents of the region for accommodating the terrorists and failing to report their movements to the military and other security agencies.

On Friday, the new terror group attacked Mera town in the Augie Local Government Area of Kebbi State while residents were preparing for Jumaat prayers, killing at least 15 people and carting away at least 100 cows.

Speaking in an interview with our correspondent on Tuesday, Buba said the terrorists were using sermons and welfare packages to entice the youth.

He added that the terror group was also using social media to drive its recruitment efforts.

Advertisement

Buba said, “The group is employing social media platforms, showcasing sermons and enticing recruits with welfare packages.

“Nevertheless, we know of these plans and are working together with other security forces and the state government to thwart the efforts of the terrorist.”

A former Director of the Department of State Services, Mike Ejiofor, argued that although the group had been in existence since 2018, the country’s intelligence agencies had been monitoring their activities.

He said the sect’s members were too few to constitute a serious threat to national security.

Advertisement

He said, “It must be clear that this group has been there since 2018. It’s not a new group. They have been there since 2018. They were brought in there by the community leader who wanted to help them fight. This group was formed by Nassala in Niger Republic. So when he died, the Nigerien government could not control them.

“So they were invited to assist them in Sokoto. They were there, but eventually, the Sokoto State government used their non-kinetic approach to make them leave that place through negotiation.

“Some of them remained, and they’ve been operating on a very new team. So it’s not as if it’s a new terrorist group that has just emerged.

“So they’ve been there, and the intelligence agencies have been following their activities. I can’t tell you the exact number now, but they are not men that can pose a major threat to our national security.

Advertisement

“But that is not to say that we will leave them. The intelligence circle is also following their activities.”

Ejiofor stated that security agencies must intensify their intelligence efforts and communities must support these agencies to help eliminate the terror group.

He said, “Yes, they might be trying to recruit some people. The intelligence services are monitoring their activities with a view to putting them in check so that they don’t take root within that area.

“There’s no cause for alarm, but you cannot at the same time underplay any security threat in the country. There’s much we can do through communal support.”

Advertisement

He blamed the community for not reporting the activities of the bandits.

“If they report, they’ll be in trouble. If they fail to report, they’ll be in trouble. So the best thing is to support the government.

“You know, they collect taxes from these people and make them raise funds and all these things. So they are in a precarious position.

“I think the best thing for us to do is to intensify intelligence efforts and operational efforts from the security agencies to make sure they are put in check before they spread,” he said.

Advertisement

A security expert, Timothy Avele, said, “From open sources we gathered the group has been in existence for the past six years.

“In fact, in some Kebbi communities, they’re collecting levies and handling judicial cases and even preventing emirs from carrying out their lawful duties.

“So it means they have been existing but have not been known to the press and general public.

“If this is confirmed to be true, it, therefore, means the security agencies, especially the DSS and police intelligence department failed in their primary responsibility of gathering and analysing strategic intelligence.”

Advertisement

He added that with the hardship in the country, it would be difficult to stop the group’s recruitment drive.

“However, if their sources of funds are targeted and blocked and their top leadership/sponsors (both local and foreign) eliminated, including carrying out specific cyber operations, only then it could be stopped,” he said.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Warning: Undefined variable $user_ID in /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/themes/zox-news/comments.php on line 49

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Tinubu breaks silence on Oyo abduction, asks NASS to fast-track State Police Bill

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

President Bola Tinubu has called on the National Assembly to accelerate the passage of the bill establishing state police, saying the growing wave of kidnappings across the country highlights the urgent need for decentralised policing.

Tinubu made the call on Monday while reacting to the abduction of teachers, students, and pupils from schools in the Esiele community in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.

The president said cases of kidnapping and insecurity in underserved communities have made the creation of state police increasingly necessary.

He noted that state police would strengthen local security architecture and improve response to criminal activities in remote areas.

Advertisement

“Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas. The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police,” Tinubu said in a statement issued by his spokesman, Bayo Onanuga.

Tinubu also sympathised with Governor Seyi Makinde, the government, and the people of Oyo State for the incident and assured them that the federal government will collaborate with the state government to rescue the victims.

He stated that security operatives are working around the clock to rescue the victims and apprehend the bandits and their collaborators within the community.

IEDs planted by bandits kill security operatives on rescue mission in Oyo

Advertisement

I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims.

“The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I commend the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their quick intervention and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims.

Imo APC primaries: Three senatorial aspirants step down for Nwabueze

“The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.”

Advertisement

Bandits invaded the Esiele community in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State last Friday, abducting staff, students, and pupils of Community Grammar School, Baptist Nursery, and Primary School and L.A. Primary School.

One of the abducted teachers was killed by the bandits in captivity on Monday.

Continue Reading

News

Just in: Goje Loses Fifth-Term Bid as Inuwa-Backed Candidate Clinches APC Senate Ticket

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Senator Muhammad Danjuma Goje has lost the ticket of the All Progressives Congress (APC) to represent Gombe Central Senatorial District for the fifth term.

In the direct primary election conducted Saturday in Akko and Yamaltu/Deba Local Government Areas, two LGAs that make up the district, DCP Mohammed Ahmed (Rtd) clinched APC in the Senatorial District.

The Returning Officer of the Election, Dr Habu Dahiru, declared that DCP Ahmed scored 42,785 votes against Senator Goje’s 10,425 votes.

Ahmed was earlier picked as the consensus candidate of the APC for the Senate seat in Gombe central.

Advertisement

Senator Goje, has been representing the zone since 2011, after his two terms as governor of the state.

The result would mark a significant shift in Gombe Central politics.

Speaking with journalists after the primaries, DCP Ahmed said the process was conducted without disruption, saying the atmosphere reflected the growing support for change in Gombe Central.

He said party members and residents were enthusiastic about the possibility of having a stronger representation for the zone at the National Assembly.

Advertisement

“You can see the excitement among the people. Many believe the time has come for Yamaltu-Deba to have a stronger voice at the national level,” he stated.

The APC’s candidate added that his ambition was not aimed at denying anyone the right to contest, “but was driven by the desire of the people for a new direction.”

When contacted, Goje’s aide declined comment, he said he would seek clearance from his principal before he could talk with journalists.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Massive Turn Out For Akpabio at Senatorial Primary

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Constituents and party faithful turned out en masse on Monday, May 18, for the affirmation of Senator Godswill Akpabio as the candidate for the Senate seat in Akwa Ibom North West Senatorial District.

Akpabio who was returned unopposed as the sole candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, took part in the primary election at his Ward Centre at Methodist School Ukana, Ukana West 11, Essien Udim Local Government Area.

Although he was the only aspirant, his kinmen trooped out to the Ward Centre to support their son whom they said had given them effective representation in all the previous offices he had held having served as Commissioner, Governor, Minority Leader of the Senate, Minister and presently the President of the 10th Senate.

The venue wore the look of a carnival with party faithful singing and dancing to herald the election. Party members described the exercise as peaceful, orderly, and transparent, while officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, civil society groups, and other stakeholders monitored the process.

Advertisement

The Returning Officer, Mr Gabriel Ekong acknowledged the massive turn out of party members and thanked them for conducting themselves in an orderly manner.

Other APC stakeholders said Akpabio’s support base further strengthened the ruling party’s preparations ahead of the general elections, especially as the APC intensifies consultations and mobilization efforts across the state.

In his remarks, Senator Akpabio expressed gratitude to party faithful for the confidence they have always reposed in him, assuring constituents of continued quality representation and effective leadership at the National Assembly.

The Senate President reaffirmed his commitment to advancing development initiatives, promoting unity within the party, and supporting the policies of the APC-led Federal Government for the benefit of the people.

Advertisement

Senator Akpabio urged the people to extend their support to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Akwa Ibom State Governor, Pastor Umo Eno and indeed all candidates of the APC. He pledged to continue to work harder to attract more dividends of democracy to the people.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News