Politics
Edo Election Tribunal: Parties to adopt final addresses March 3
- /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/Election-Petition-Tribunal.jpg&description=Edo Election Tribunal: Parties to adopt final addresses March 3', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/Election-Petition-Tribunal.jpg&description=Edo Election Tribunal: Parties to adopt final addresses March 3', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
The Edo State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal has announced an adjournment until March 3, when the parties will be able to adopt their final written addresses regarding the dispute related to the governorship election conducted on September 21, 2024.
This date was confirmed by the Tribunal’s Chairman, Justice Wilfred Kpochi, after the lawyer for the All Progressives Congress (APC), Ferdinand Orbih (SAN), stated that his client’s case had been closed.
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and its candidate, Asue Ighodalo, are disputing the declaration of APC’s Monday Okpebholo as the election winner, contending that there were significant flaws in the electoral process.
At the resumption of proceedings yesterday, Orbih initially told the tribunal that he would not be able to proceed with the case because the documents his team sought to tender were yet to be brought from Benin.
Orbih subsequently changed his mind and said having reviewed the conduct of the case and evidence led so far, his team found no need to lead further evidence.
The APC, which is the third respondent in the case, had promised to call 28 witnesses. It called four on Wednesday when it opened its case.
Orbih said: “We have carefully done a further comprehensive review of the evidence led by the petitioners, evidence elicited from their witnesses under cross-examination, the evidence led so far by the respondents in this petition and the documentary evidence presented before the tribunal.
“We have also considered the fact that time is of the essence and there is no need embarking on an exercise that will not take into account that the time of the tribunal is precious.
“Taking all these factors into consideration, we are happy to close the third respondent’s case, with the leave of the tribunal,” Orbih said.
Lawyer to the petitioners, Adetunji Oyeyipo (SAN); Kanu Agabi (SAN) for the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and Onyechi Ikpeazu (SAN) for Okpebholo, did not object to Orbih’s application to close the case of the APC.
The tribunal, however, rejected Orbih’s request that the seven days earlier allocated to the respondents to file their final written addresses should be extended by three days.
Ruling, Justice Kpochi held that the days earlier allocated to parties could not be extended because the tribunal also required adequate time to consider all evidence led, including documents tendered.
He ordered the respondents to file their addresses within seven days, beginning from February 14; the petitioners to file within five days from the date of service, while the respondents shall file their replies, if any, within three days.
Politics
2027: NDC Urges Atiku To Step Aside, To Back Peter Obi
The Nigerian Democratic Congress (NDC) has urged the African Democratic Congress (ADC) presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, to withdraw from the 2027 presidential race and support the party’s presidential candidate, Peter Obi.
The NDC Director of New Media and Strategic Communications, Theo Abu Agada, made the call in a post on X, arguing that Atiku’s decision to step aside could strengthen the opposition’s chances of defeating the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in the 2027 election.
Agada said Atiku’s withdrawal would not diminish his political legacy, but could instead help unite opposition forces behind Obi.
“AA is a good and solid man, but he needs to give it up at this point,” Agada wrote. “His idea for a working Nigeria is brilliant but at this point, he needs to give up his ambition.”
He added that Atiku should support Obi “to kick the APC out,” while praising the former vice president’s character, vision and contribution to Nigerian politics.
The call comes after Atiku declared that the 2027 presidential election would be the final time he would contest for the presidency, regardless of whether he wins or loses.
The former vice president has remained a major figure in Nigeria’s opposition politics, having contested the presidency several times.
Politics
NDC Launches 2027 Campaign, Sends Message to Members
The Nigeria Democratic Congress, NDC, has directed its candidates for the 2027 general elections to begin consultations, sensitisation and grassroots campaigns as preparations intensify for the polls.
The party also announced plans to inaugurate its various campaign committees as it prepares for the presidential, National Assembly, governorship and State House of Assembly elections.
The directive was contained in a statement issued on Friday by the NDC National Publicity Secretary, Osa Director.
Director urged candidates to work with party stakeholders at the national, state and local levels in organising their campaign activities.
The party said the campaigns would be used to introduce its candidates to voters, strengthen its grassroots structures and communicate its message to Nigerians as a grassroots-oriented political organisation.
“To all candidates, we are directing that they begin their familiarisation, sensitisation and consultations. Similarly, local campaign events can now continue,” the statement said.
The NDC also instructed its state, local government and ward structures to prepare schedules for their respective campaign activities ahead of the 2027 elections.
“The party will soon release the composition of its campaign organs, which will be announced and inaugurated on a date to be announced,” it stated.
“We direct all candidates across the country to begin their campaigns. State chapters, local government chapters and down to the wards, should organise and draw up itinerary for their own local campaigns,” the party added.
While urging its members to intensify their engagement with voters, the NDC cautioned candidates and supporters against violence, abusive language and inflammatory rhetoric.
The party said its campaign would be based on issues affecting Nigerians and that it would not tolerate violent conduct from its members.
“In keeping with the ideology of NDC, the party reiterates that all campaigns must be issue-based and devoid of violence and foul language. The NDC has no room for violence,” the statement said.
The party also addressed the use of its logo during the ongoing preparations for the elections, directing candidates and members to continue using its existing logo featuring the two-finger victory sign for campaign purposes.
The NDC said it had consulted with the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, on a modification to its logo and had formally informed the electoral body of the change.
However, it said some administrative issues were still being resolved before the new logo could officially replace the existing one.
“For some reasons, however, there have been some administrative details which we’re working round the clock to resolve before the existing logo would be replaced with the modified version,” the party stated.
It added, “Until then, however, we enjoin all our candidates and members to continue to use the old logo, which is also the two-finger victory sign, for campaign purposes for now, pending the conclusion of all engagements and arrangements with INEC on the replacement.”
Earlier, the party’s presidential candidate, Former Anambra State Governor Peter Obi formally announced the commencement of his 2027 campaign.
The former governor said he was motivated by the need to address the challenges facing Nigerians.
Obi said he was joining the presidential contest with the conviction that Nigeria could overcome its current difficulties if properly governed.
“I consider myself to be among those contesting to address the challenges Nigeria is currently facing. I join this contest with one firm conviction: Nigeria must work,” Obi said.
He also called for the 2027 election to be based on the competence and character of candidates rather than religion or ethnicity.
“The 2017 election must be guided by competence, capacity, compassion, character and commitment,” Obi said.
“Our campaign will focus on the urgent concerns of Nigerians and not on ethnicity or religion. Nigerians must reject and disregard any campaign driven by propaganda, ethnicity, religion or cronyism,” he added.
Obi said he and his team would travel across the country to engage Nigerians directly, listen to their concerns and develop policies around their experiences.
“As my team and I travel across the country, we will listen to Nigerians, understand their needs and concerns, and assure them that we have the competence, character and compassion to lead and reset Nigeria for the benefit of all,” he said.
He identified insecurity, poverty, hunger, poor education, the growing number of out-of-school children and inadequate healthcare among the major challenges that the next administration must address.
“Nigeria deserves leaders who will engage with them, listen to their concerns and present clear solutions to unite the country, defeat insecurity, lift people out of poverty, drastically reduce hunger and the number of out-of-school children, improve education and healthcare, and build growth that serves everyone, especially the most vulnerable,” Obi said.
Meanwhile, the Presidency has criticised Obi’s campaign launch as a “content creation press conference.”
The remark was made by the Special Adviser on Policy Communication to President Bola Tinubu, Daniel Bwala.
Bwala, in a post on X, accused Obi of failing to use the opportunity to clearly present his vision and mission to Nigerians.
“One candidate just did a world content creation press conference with empty rhetorics and unconvincing statements speaking to few recognizable media outlets and many unrecognizable fake news ‘tags on the mics,’” Bwala wrote.
He added, “He missed the opportunity to define his vision and mission; he was sounding like he is INEC setting the rules of engagement.”
Bwala further stated, “The truth is you cannot give what you don’t have.”
Politics
APC Explains Adamawa Guber Candidate’s Absence From Tinubu’s Campaign Unveiling
The Adamawa State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has dismissed reports that its 2027 governorship candidate, Tijani Galadima, deliberately stayed away from the unveiling of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s presidential campaign in Yola, the state capital.
The reports had sparked speculation that Galadima boycotted the event amid claims that the APC was considering replacing him as its governorship candidate ahead of the 2027 general elections.
However, the party’s Adamawa State spokesperson, Dogo Victor, dismissed the speculation, saying Galadima’s absence was official and known to the national leadership of the party.
Speaking to The PUNCH, Victor explained that Galadima was in Abuja attending a previously scheduled party meeting when the presidential campaign was unveiled in Yola.
“Our next governor, Alhaji Tijani Galadima, was attending a party meeting in Abuja when the presidential campaign unveiling was held in Yola,” he said.
According to him, the Abuja meeting had been scheduled before the timetable for the presidential campaign launch was released, making Galadima’s attendance at the meeting necessary.
Victor added that other APC leaders were also required to attend the Abuja meeting, stressing that both engagements were part of the party’s preparations for the 2027 elections.
He further denied reports of division within the Adamawa APC, describing the speculation as an attempt to create confusion within the party.
“The Abuja meeting was slated before the presidential campaign unveiling timetable was released, so Galadima and other party leaders had to attend the Abuja meeting, since both the meeting and the flag-off are part of strategies for the APC to win the 2027 general elections,” Victor said.
He maintained that the party remained united and focused on its preparations for the elections.
“Adamawa APC is too strong for street mischief professionals to distract it with paperweight allegations.
We are united and good to go,” he added.
-
News17 hours agoNorthern Senators Demand Immediate State Police After Adamawa, Sokoto Terror Attacks
-
Opinion17 hours agoRep OK Chinda and the Parliamentary Gamble: The Politician Seeking to Rewrite Nigeria’s Political Operating System
-
News11 hours agoBREAKING: APC Chairman Reportedly Collapses, Dies
-
Economy17 hours agoNigerian Stock Market Crashes For 8th Straight Session As Investors Lose Whopping N5.45tn
-
News11 hours agoSurvivors narrate how gunmen moved from house to house, k!lling people asleep in Plateau
-
Entertainment17 hours agoNollywood Actors And Actresses Hold Special Prayer Session For Taiwo Hassan
-
News10 hours agoSEE List of Nigeria’s latest fake agency, 20 state coordinators, reps in China as TInubu orders arrest (Photos)
-
News10 hours agoSnake gets world-first cancer treatment normally used in humans

Warning: Undefined variable $user_ID in /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/themes/zox-news/comments.php on line 49
You must be logged in to post a comment Login