Connect with us

News

Abbas Charges Youths To Take Deliberate Action To Shape Nigeria’s Political Future 

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
By Gloria Ikibah 

Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rep. Tajudeen Abbas, has urged Nigerian youths to rise beyond rhetoric and take deliberate action to shape the country’s political future. 

Speaker Abbas stated this at  the launch of the Take Action Campaign themed: “Awakening a Generation: Youthful Leadership for a New Nigeria”, on Tuesday in Abuja.
 
The Speaker who was represented by the Chairman House Committee on Youth in Parliament, Rep. Olamijuwonlo Alao-Akala, called on young people to see themselves not only as leaders of tomorrow, but as key drivers of Nigeria’s present transformation.
 
“The youth are not just the future, they are the present. They must begin to reflect their numbers in the governance of this nation,”he said.
 
The Take Action Campaign, spearheaded by the Youth in Parliament Forum (YIPF), is a nationwide initiative aimed at empowering young Nigerians to take up leadership roles in politics and public service.
 
Speaker Abbas expressed worries that despite the youths comprising over 60 percent of Nigeria’s population, their influence in decision-making and governance remains minimal. 
 
He emphasised the need for young people to be more deliberate about entering public service, engaging with laws, and actively shaping policies that affect their lives.
 
“If we cannot articulate the change we want or push for it through structured engagement, then what are we doing?” he asked.
 
Highlighting the significance of legislative reforms such as the Not Too Young to Run Act, the Speaker noted that the National Assembly had already commence opening the space for youth participation. He cited the example of Hon. Mohammed from Kebbi State, who was elected into the House at just 26 years old, as a clear sign of what is possible when the system becomes more inclusive.
 
He also gave his support to legislative efforts to improve gender inclusiveness, referencing a bill currently before the House that seeks to reserve seats for women in the National Assembly. 
 
Abbas called on young Nigerians to examine the proposal and lend their voices constructively, noting the transformative impact such representation could have on national development.
 
“Imagine if over 100 seats were reserved for women and more than 70 of those seats were occupied by women under 35. That would change the national conversation entirely,” he said.
 
In addressing the growing trend of young Nigerians seeking opportunities abroad, a phenomenon known as “japa”, the Speaker urged the youth to rethink the idea of escape as a permanent solution. “Even with a blue passport abroad, you’re still a second-class citizen. No one can ever take your Nigerian identity from you. This is your land, your mission, your birthright,” he said.
 
He appealed to Nigeria’s young population, “Don’t just sit behind your devices criticizing. Get involved. Monitor policies. Ask hard questions. Make noise where it matters. We have no other country but this one. So let us rise and take action.”
 
The Director General of the Youth in Parliament Forum (YIPF), Hon. Tony Nwulu, underscored the urgency of youth participation in governance.
 
He said the unveiling of the Take Action Campaign, a youth-driven movement, had a singular mission to transform Nigeria’s political landscape by empowering young Nigerians to run for office and take charge of their future.
 
He outlined the four-pronged approach of the campaign which are mobilizing, mentoring, and supporting young aspirants at all levels of governance; building structures in all 36 states and the FCT to prepare youth for political participation; launching voter engagement strategies to activate and educate youth voting blocs; and facilitating the election of young legislators into state and national assemblies by 2027.
 
He described TAC as more than a campaign, calling it a national awakening, a call to action, to participation, and to leadership.
 
Nwulu decried the persistent under-representation of youth in governance, despite constituting over 60 percent of the nation’s population. 
 
According to him, TAC is YIPF’s strategic response to this imbalance, a grassroots-powered initiative designed to shift young Nigerians from the political sidelines to the decision-making table.
 
“Today’s unveiling marks the beginning of a journey that will see the rise of a new political consciousness, one led by young Nigerians who are ready to legislate, innovate, and govern,” Nwulu said.
 
Kogi State Governor, Ahmed Ododo, praised the Take Action Campaign, which be described as the logical progression from the Not Too Young to Run movement. 
 
Represented by the State’s Director General of Research and Development, Moses Okezie-Okafor, he described himself as a product of that political opportunity, having served in the state’s executive council across two administrations.
 
“Some youths decided to take action and the political space opened up. This campaign is the action phase. This is not just about talk, it’s time to lead,” he said. 
 
He cited Kogi’s unique gender inclusion model, where all local government deputy chairpersons are women. In some cases, both chairperson and deputy are women.
 
“The Secretary to the State Government and the Accountant General are also women,” he noted. “The goal is to create a deliberate, balanced political structure that allows women and young people to thrive.”
 
He commended President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for his demonstrated commitment to youth inclusion and immediate recognition of youth achievements, such as the recent honor accorded the Falconets. 
 
“Let everyone give the youth the opportunity, immediately, now, and in the present,” he urged.
 
Governor Hope Uzodinma of Imo State, aligned the state with the objectives of the Take Action Campaign, saying it reflects the reality already being shaped in Imo.
 
Represented by Commissioner for Special Duties, Dr. Chika Abazu, he said, “This campaign couldn’t have come at a better time. In Imo, youth are not only appointed,they are empowered. Over 40 percent of the state cabinet is youth. I myself benefited from the Not Too Young to Run movement and now serve as commissioner.”
 
He urged young Nigerians not to merely aspire but to perform and to see their roles as part of a larger developmental value chain.
 
He emphasised the role of youth in shaping a new Nigeria through innovation, energy, and entrepreneurial spirit. 
 
“We have a whole brand-new country to build. This campaign only becomes meaningful when those who enter leadership through it leave the door open behind them,” he said.
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Warning: Undefined variable $user_ID in /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/themes/zox-news/comments.php on line 49

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

NDLEA destroys N301bn worth of cocaine, heroin, opioids, others in Lagos (Photos)

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

 

. ‘We’ll continue to dismantle drug cartels and their financial spine,’ Marwa vows
. Gov. Sanwo-Olu, CG Customs Adeniyi, Naval Chief commend partnership with NDLEA on drug war

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has publicly destroyed 329,865.585 kilograms of assorted illicit drugs with an estimated street value of Three Hundred and One Billion, Fifty-Eight Million and Seventy-Six Thousand Naira (N301,058,076,000) only in a court-ordered exercise carried out in Lagos.
The exercise, conducted pursuant to orders of the Federal High Court, Lagos Judicial Division, disposed of uncontested concluded cases and abandoned seizures. Of the total consignment, 246,864.535 kilograms were seized by the Lagos Strategic Command of the Agency between April 2025 and May 2026, while 83,001.05 kilograms came from the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Tincan and Apapa Strategic Commands, as well as the Marine Command and a Special Operations Unit, all operating within Lagos.
The destroyed illicit drugs comprised mainly cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, cannabis of different strains including Canadian Loud and skunk, ephedrine, tramadol, codeine syrup and other opioids, as well as khat leaf.
Speaking at the event held at Navy Town in Ojo area of Lagos on Monday 17th August 2026, the Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of NDLEA, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (Rtd) described the exercise as a bold demonstration of Nigeria’s resolve to protect its people and deny criminal enterprises the resources they need to thrive. He noted that behind every kilogram of narcotics destroyed lies a story of a young life at risk, a family torn apart by addiction, and communities endangered by drug-related crime and impaired driving.

Marwa said the destroyed consignment represented more than the elimination of contraband, stressing that illicit drugs weaken the labour force, raise healthcare costs, discourage investment and drain public resources that should go into education, healthcare and infrastructure. He added that every consignment intercepted by the Agency saves the country billions of naira in potential losses linked to addiction, crime and social dislocation.
The NDLEA boss also linked the trade in illicit drugs to Nigeria’s broader security challenges, noting that drug trafficking helps fund organised crime, terrorism and violent extremism globally, and that by seizing and destroying such substances, the Agency is strengthening the country’s national security architecture.

Advertisement


He commended the support of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, and his administration’s strategic backing for the Agency’s mandate, as well as the partnership of the Judiciary, the Lagos State Government, the military, sister security agencies, international partners, civil society, traditional institutions, the media and members of the public.

Marwa paid tribute to NDLEA personnel across the country, particularly those serving in Lagos while acknowledging the risks and sacrifices they make in the course of their duty.
Issuing a stern warning to drug barons, traffickers, financiers, distributors and dealers, the NDLEA Chairman declared that their days of operating with impunity are over. “Wherever you hide, whoever sponsors you and however sophisticated your network may be, the long arm of the law will reach you,” he said, vowing that the Agency remains resolute, relentless and uncompromising in pursuing and dismantling every criminal network and its financial spine.

He called on all Nigerians, parents, schools, religious and traditional leaders, and the media to become active stakeholders in the war against illicit drugs, stressing that the battle cannot be won by the NDLEA alone.

Speaking at the ceremony, Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu said “the scale of what has been destroyed today, about 300 tons of narcotics and psychotropic substances, is a huge and sobering reminder of the enormity of the threat that illicit drugs pose to our communities, our young people, and our collective future. It is also, in equal measure, a powerful testament to what becomes possible when law enforcement, the judiciary, and the government work hand in hand, not merely to enforce the law, but to uphold justice, protect society, and secure a better future for our people. It reminds us that when institutions unite around a shared purpose, the law becomes more than an instrument of enforcement.”
Represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Mrs. Bimbola Salu-Hundeyin, the governor assured that “Lagos State is unwavering in its resolve to confront drug abuse and trafficking, and we will not relent in our efforts to do this.”
In his goodwill message, the Comptroller General of Customs Bashir Adewale Adeniyi noted that the “NDLEA deserves all the accolades they have received from local and international partners”, adding that “It is not just about the size of what we are seeing but about the scope of what has been taken from operations conducted in our seaports, at our airports, at our land borders. This therefore represents a very strong message to drug dealers that they are no longer welcome in Nigeria.”

He noted that there’s a nexus between drug dealers and violent non-state actors because drug continues to provide the oxygen for their crime. “Bandits, kidnappers, armed robbers, insurgents, terrorists, this is their oxygen and so the destruction that we are going to witness today is symbolic of two things: drug dealers are going to be losing investments worth billions of naira and we are going to be denying non-state violent actors the necessary oxygen that they need for their heinous crime and as we hope that we suffocate them, deny them access to this kind of thing, we believe that this will continue to be their lot. They will continue to invest and they will continue to lose their investments. I want to commend the chairman of NDLEA and in fact all our officers and men operatives throughout our commands who are responsible for this”, he added.
Speaking in the same light, the Chief of Naval Staff Vice Admiral Idi Abbas represented by the FOC Western Naval Command, Rear Admiral Abdullahi Mustapha assured of continued support for Nigeria’s drug control efforts being coordinated by NDLEA.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

See Dollar to Naira exchange rate today, August 17, 2026

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

 

The Nigerian naira opened the week relatively strong against the United States dollar, with the local currency trading around N1,357.61 per dollar at the official Nigerian Foreign Exchange Market (NFEM) window and about N1,420 per dollar at the parallel market.

Data from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) showed that the NFEM rate stood at N1,357.61 per US dollar as of the latest available official market data. The rate is based on the volume-weighted average of transactions in the official foreign exchange market.

The parallel market, meanwhile, continued to quote the dollar at around N1,420, leaving a gap of approximately N62.39 between the two markets. Proshare reported that the naira had appreciated by 59 basis points at the official market to N1,357.61/$, while the parallel-market rate remained at N1,420/$.

Advertisement

The latest official rate represents an improvement for the naira compared with the previous week’s N1,365.69 per dollar. The appreciation has been linked to improved foreign exchange liquidity and supply conditions in the official market.

More recent market indicators also point to continued stability in the naira-dollar exchange rate. A live USD/NGN rate source put the dollar at about N1,358.30 as of the early hours of August 17, while other market data placed the currency around the N1,358 level.

The naira’s performance comes amid stronger external reserves and recent changes by the CBN aimed at improving liquidity and efficiency in Nigeria’s financial markets. Nigeria’s external reserves rose to $52.19 billion as of August 12, 2026, their highest level in 17 years, according to recent reports.

For Nigerians buying or selling dollars outside the official market, the parallel-market rate remains higher than the NFEM rate. The difference reflects continued segmentation between the two foreign exchange channels, although the spread remains relatively contained compared with periods of severe market volatility.

Advertisement

As trading progresses on Monday, August 17, the official NFEM rate and parallel-market quotations could change depending on dollar supply, demand from importers and other FX users, CBN interventions and broader global currency movements.

Continue Reading

News

Abuja Flooding: FCT Minister’s Aide Takes a Swipe at Adeyanju

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

…say administration take steps to address recurring challenge

The heavy rainfall recorded in Abuja on Saturday resulted in flooding in parts of the Federal Capital Territory, with some affected areas experiencing temporary accumulation of water before the floodwaters receded.

Apparently peeved by Deji Adeyanju’s empty claims, FCT minister’s aide, Lere Olayinka gave a vivid breakdown in a statement on Monday.

The incident has, however, generated public debate, with some commentators linking the development to the administration of the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike.

Advertisement

While concerns over flooding and drainage infrastructure remain legitimate, it is important to note that flooding has occurred in parts of Abuja for several years, predating the current administration.

Reports from previous years documented flooding in areas including Wuse, Jabi and Lokogoma in 2019, while similar incidents were reported in Lokogoma, Efab Estate, Gudu and surrounding areas in 2022.

The recurring incidents highlight the challenges associated with the rapid expansion of the nation’s capital, particularly in the areas of drainage capacity, waste management, urban planning and enforcement of development regulations.

The FCT Administration has said it is taking steps to address some of these challenges and prevent future occurrences.

Advertisement

Among the measures being considered is the review of the 1979 Abuja Master Plan to reflect the changing needs of a rapidly expanding capital city.

The administration is also paying attention to drainage infrastructure, including the replacement of drainage covers that are frequently removed by scavengers. The removal of drainage covers can expose drainage channels to refuse and other materials capable of obstructing the free flow of stormwater.

The latest flooding therefore underscores the need for sustained investment in drainage infrastructure, effective waste disposal, strict enforcement of planning regulations and improved maintenance of existing waterways.

While political actors and commentators may differ in their assessment of the FCT Administration’s performance, the flooding challenge is not a new phenomenon and requires a long-term, coordinated response rather than being viewed solely through the lens of partisan politics.

Advertisement

The priority, ultimately, should be to ensure that Abuja’s infrastructure keeps pace with its population growth and expansion, while reducing the impact of heavy rainfall on residents and businesses.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News