Connect with us

News

FG declares Leah Sharibu, other Chibok girls have not been forgotten

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The federal government of Nigeria has declared that it is still actively working towards securing the release of the remaining abducted Chibok schoolgirls and Leah Sharibu.

The assurance was given on Tuesday in Abuja by the National Coordinator of the National Counter Terrorism Centre, Major General Adamu Laka, while speaking at the multi-agency meeting on anti-kidnapping, organised in collaboration with the United Kingdom’s National Crime Agency.

Leah Sharibu was among the 110 schoolgirls kidnapped by Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) fighters from the Government Girls’ Science and Technical College, Dapchi, Yobe State, on February 19, 2018.

Also, 276 girls were abducted by Boko Haram from the Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok, Borno State, on April 14, 2014.

Advertisement

While some of the victims have regained their freedom, Sharibu, the only Christian among the Dapchi girls, remains in captivity because she refused to denounce her faith.

Also, 87 of the Chibok girls are still believed to be in captivity.

Speaking on Tuesday, Major General Laka said the government has not given up on ensuring the safe return of the girls, stating that negotiations and operations are ongoing to this effect.

He acknowledged that some of the kidnapped girls have been married off to the insurgents, but the government is still working on getting them home.

Advertisement

He said, “Since when they were kidnapped, those who were rescued were not just rescued one time; It was a gradual process. Negotiations were done, trying to get them out. Operations were conducted.

“Luckily, at the beginning of that, towards the year after they were kidnapped, I was in the theatre, and I know what the military and intelligence agencies put into rescue the initial set of the Chibok girls.

“We haven’t given up hope on them; some of them were married to some of the insurgents. Some have come out. But let our focus not only be on the Chibok girls. There are others that have been kidnapped aid workers, Nigerian aid workers who were kidnapped. We’ve rescued some that are working for UNICEF.”

Laka pointed out that the silence in the media does not equate to inaction or indifference on the part of the government.

Advertisement

He said, “We’ve rescued some that are working for UNHCR and IOM and so on. Do you understand? So, we haven’t relented on our efforts.

“There is the issue of this lady, Leah Shaibu. So, not because it’s not always in the press.

“We are not always talking about it. It doesn’t mean we don’t care. It doesn’t mean we’ve forgotten about them. We are still on it. Our prayer is that the whole 87 or 80 plus that are left will be rescued by God’s grace. ”

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Warning: Undefined variable $user_ID in /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/themes/zox-news/comments.php on line 49

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Edo new speaker reveals why speaker was flushed out

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

 

The newly elected Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Yekini Idiaye, has revealed why his predecessor, Blessing Agbebaku, was flushed out by lawmakers over alleged poor leadership and corruption.

Idiaye, who represents Akoko-Edo Constituency I and is a third-term lawmaker, emerged as Speaker on Monday following Agbebaku’s resignation amid moves by lawmakers to impeach him.

Addressing journalists after Monday’s plenary, Idiaye accused Agbebaku of poor leadership, alleging that his tenure was characterised by corruption and prolonged adjournments.

Advertisement

He said, “The House was inaugurated on the 16th of June, 2023 under the leadership of Agbebaku, and since then we have been passing through a lot of challenges, corruption here and there, adjournment here and there, sometimes for 30 days without a cause. We are not happy with his leadership style. His leadership is poor, and it has been drawing the work of the government backwards.”

Idiaye added, “That is why we removed him. We must encourage our performing governor. He is doing well, anything that will derail or stop our performing governor, we must stop it. That is why we changed him. I can assure all of you that we will do everything possible to support Governor Monday Okpebholo to move this state forward.”

He said, “The House was inaugurated on the 16th of June, 2023 under the leadership of Agbebaku, and since then we have been passing through a lot of challenges, corruption here and there, adjournment here and there, sometimes for 30 days without a cause. We are not happy with his leadership style. His leadership is poor, and it has been drawing the work of the government backwards.”

Idiaye added, “That is why we removed him. We must encourage our performing governor. He is doing well, anything that will derail or stop our performing governor, we must stop it. That is why we changed him. I can assure all of you that we will do everything possible to support Governor Monday Okpebholo to move this state forward.”

Advertisement

Idiaye’s emergence was also said to have followed the Assembly’s zoning arrangement, which provides that when the governor is from Edo Central Senatorial District, the Speaker should come from Edo North.

Idiaye, being the oldest member from Edo North, was subsequently elected Speaker.

Continue Reading

News

NDLEA destroys N301bn worth of cocaine, heroin, opioids, others in Lagos (Photos)

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

 

. ‘We’ll continue to dismantle drug cartels and their financial spine,’ Marwa vows
. Gov. Sanwo-Olu, CG Customs Adeniyi, Naval Chief commend partnership with NDLEA on drug war

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has publicly destroyed 329,865.585 kilograms of assorted illicit drugs with an estimated street value of Three Hundred and One Billion, Fifty-Eight Million and Seventy-Six Thousand Naira (N301,058,076,000) only in a court-ordered exercise carried out in Lagos.
The exercise, conducted pursuant to orders of the Federal High Court, Lagos Judicial Division, disposed of uncontested concluded cases and abandoned seizures. Of the total consignment, 246,864.535 kilograms were seized by the Lagos Strategic Command of the Agency between April 2025 and May 2026, while 83,001.05 kilograms came from the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Tincan and Apapa Strategic Commands, as well as the Marine Command and a Special Operations Unit, all operating within Lagos.
The destroyed illicit drugs comprised mainly cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, cannabis of different strains including Canadian Loud and skunk, ephedrine, tramadol, codeine syrup and other opioids, as well as khat leaf.
Speaking at the event held at Navy Town in Ojo area of Lagos on Monday 17th August 2026, the Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of NDLEA, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (Rtd) described the exercise as a bold demonstration of Nigeria’s resolve to protect its people and deny criminal enterprises the resources they need to thrive. He noted that behind every kilogram of narcotics destroyed lies a story of a young life at risk, a family torn apart by addiction, and communities endangered by drug-related crime and impaired driving.

Marwa said the destroyed consignment represented more than the elimination of contraband, stressing that illicit drugs weaken the labour force, raise healthcare costs, discourage investment and drain public resources that should go into education, healthcare and infrastructure. He added that every consignment intercepted by the Agency saves the country billions of naira in potential losses linked to addiction, crime and social dislocation.
The NDLEA boss also linked the trade in illicit drugs to Nigeria’s broader security challenges, noting that drug trafficking helps fund organised crime, terrorism and violent extremism globally, and that by seizing and destroying such substances, the Agency is strengthening the country’s national security architecture.

Advertisement


He commended the support of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, and his administration’s strategic backing for the Agency’s mandate, as well as the partnership of the Judiciary, the Lagos State Government, the military, sister security agencies, international partners, civil society, traditional institutions, the media and members of the public.

Marwa paid tribute to NDLEA personnel across the country, particularly those serving in Lagos while acknowledging the risks and sacrifices they make in the course of their duty.
Issuing a stern warning to drug barons, traffickers, financiers, distributors and dealers, the NDLEA Chairman declared that their days of operating with impunity are over. “Wherever you hide, whoever sponsors you and however sophisticated your network may be, the long arm of the law will reach you,” he said, vowing that the Agency remains resolute, relentless and uncompromising in pursuing and dismantling every criminal network and its financial spine.

He called on all Nigerians, parents, schools, religious and traditional leaders, and the media to become active stakeholders in the war against illicit drugs, stressing that the battle cannot be won by the NDLEA alone.

Speaking at the ceremony, Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu said “the scale of what has been destroyed today, about 300 tons of narcotics and psychotropic substances, is a huge and sobering reminder of the enormity of the threat that illicit drugs pose to our communities, our young people, and our collective future. It is also, in equal measure, a powerful testament to what becomes possible when law enforcement, the judiciary, and the government work hand in hand, not merely to enforce the law, but to uphold justice, protect society, and secure a better future for our people. It reminds us that when institutions unite around a shared purpose, the law becomes more than an instrument of enforcement.”
Represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Mrs. Bimbola Salu-Hundeyin, the governor assured that “Lagos State is unwavering in its resolve to confront drug abuse and trafficking, and we will not relent in our efforts to do this.”
In his goodwill message, the Comptroller General of Customs Bashir Adewale Adeniyi noted that the “NDLEA deserves all the accolades they have received from local and international partners”, adding that “It is not just about the size of what we are seeing but about the scope of what has been taken from operations conducted in our seaports, at our airports, at our land borders. This therefore represents a very strong message to drug dealers that they are no longer welcome in Nigeria.”

He noted that there’s a nexus between drug dealers and violent non-state actors because drug continues to provide the oxygen for their crime. “Bandits, kidnappers, armed robbers, insurgents, terrorists, this is their oxygen and so the destruction that we are going to witness today is symbolic of two things: drug dealers are going to be losing investments worth billions of naira and we are going to be denying non-state violent actors the necessary oxygen that they need for their heinous crime and as we hope that we suffocate them, deny them access to this kind of thing, we believe that this will continue to be their lot. They will continue to invest and they will continue to lose their investments. I want to commend the chairman of NDLEA and in fact all our officers and men operatives throughout our commands who are responsible for this”, he added.
Speaking in the same light, the Chief of Naval Staff Vice Admiral Idi Abbas represented by the FOC Western Naval Command, Rear Admiral Abdullahi Mustapha assured of continued support for Nigeria’s drug control efforts being coordinated by NDLEA.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

See Dollar to Naira exchange rate today, August 17, 2026

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

 

The Nigerian naira opened the week relatively strong against the United States dollar, with the local currency trading around N1,357.61 per dollar at the official Nigerian Foreign Exchange Market (NFEM) window and about N1,420 per dollar at the parallel market.

Data from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) showed that the NFEM rate stood at N1,357.61 per US dollar as of the latest available official market data. The rate is based on the volume-weighted average of transactions in the official foreign exchange market.

The parallel market, meanwhile, continued to quote the dollar at around N1,420, leaving a gap of approximately N62.39 between the two markets. Proshare reported that the naira had appreciated by 59 basis points at the official market to N1,357.61/$, while the parallel-market rate remained at N1,420/$.

Advertisement

The latest official rate represents an improvement for the naira compared with the previous week’s N1,365.69 per dollar. The appreciation has been linked to improved foreign exchange liquidity and supply conditions in the official market.

More recent market indicators also point to continued stability in the naira-dollar exchange rate. A live USD/NGN rate source put the dollar at about N1,358.30 as of the early hours of August 17, while other market data placed the currency around the N1,358 level.

The naira’s performance comes amid stronger external reserves and recent changes by the CBN aimed at improving liquidity and efficiency in Nigeria’s financial markets. Nigeria’s external reserves rose to $52.19 billion as of August 12, 2026, their highest level in 17 years, according to recent reports.

For Nigerians buying or selling dollars outside the official market, the parallel-market rate remains higher than the NFEM rate. The difference reflects continued segmentation between the two foreign exchange channels, although the spread remains relatively contained compared with periods of severe market volatility.

Advertisement

As trading progresses on Monday, August 17, the official NFEM rate and parallel-market quotations could change depending on dollar supply, demand from importers and other FX users, CBN interventions and broader global currency movements.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News